Why we got lucky in 2008

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
http://forums.rleague.com/showpost.php?p=716100&postcount=34
Maroon_Faithful wrote:Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976seaeagle 
Have a look at these stats for 2008 and try to work it out for youself.

Try to work what out? Why Manly won the GF? I have a theory on that and it's supported by more than irrelevant stats. You see, these stats are directly effected by what I've been talking about in my theory ie. Manly not having anywhere near as many rep players missing, getting to play sides like Brisbane, Easts, Titans, Cowboys etc. at half strength (If that) and reaping the benefits. So when you sit there and say well Manly had the best completion rate, or the most run metres, I would merely direct you to think long and hard about the above and what sort of difference you think there may have been, had Manly been missing 10 SOO players like Melbourne, or half a dozen like the Roosters...

Quote:
Dummy half runs Manly=10th Storm=3rd (A good result as it showed we passed the ball around a lot)

Okay. Good on you for passing it around a lot. What does this stat have to do with anything? It doesn't support your argument.

Quote:
All runs Manly=1st , Storm=2nd (That Dessie work ethic shows here in this stat)

All run metres Manly=1st, Storm=2nd (as above)

Please elaborate on the Dessie work ethic, comment.

Quote:
Completions Manly=1st, Storm=2nd (shows that holding the ball wins you games!)

Obviously ball control is vital. I don't think anyone needs stats to know that.

Quote:
In possession % Manly=1st, Storm=4th (as above)

Sets Manly=1st, Storm=2nd (as above)

Conversions Manly=1st, Storm=3rd (See the tries stat…)

All of these are irrelevant.

Quote:
Line Breaks Manly=1st, Storm=3rd (Steve Bell also the best in the NRL comp on an individual level i think, but can someone confirm this?)

I'd be very suprised if that were true.

Quote:
Tries Scored Manly=1st, Storm=3rd (That's how comps are won!)

So comps are won by ball control and tries? Defense means nothing hey? Good call...

Quote:
Tackle Breaks Manly=1st, Storm=2nd

Kicks Manly=2nd best, Storm=1st (And a fair way behind Storm too. A tactic that really bombed for the Storm in the GF! pun most definitely intended)

All you're really doing by posting stats with Manly and Melbourne coming in 1st and 2nd, is showing that Manly needed a cake walk during the hectic rep period and a trot against weakened teams, to oust the Storm statistically, and in fact, in some area's not even that sufficed.

Quote:
Offloads Manly=2nd best, Storm=worst in the comp! (typical since so many tries were from kicks to Folau)

It's typical because of the style they play. Manly like to use second phase and Melbourne like to keep it simple. Both are effective when properly implemented. But I guess offloading is the better route because ahh why?........Oh that's right because Manly do it.

Quote:
Penalties For Manly=2nd most, Storm=7th (I think all the planets must have been in a line this year or something)

I don't praise people for being lucky. Do you?

Quote:
Tries Conceded Manly=2nd best

And Melbourne?

Quote:
Penalties Against Manly=2nd worst, Storm=worst in the comp!! (does this prove that attacking teams are generally penalised more? Most of ours were courtesy of Choc)

It supports the idea that these two teams push the envelope and it should be a warning sign to the admins and ref's, that the working on the ground is deciding too many matches. The fact is both of these sdies are well disciplined.

Quote:
Scrums For Manly=3rd, Storm=1st

Irrelevant.

Quote:
Penalty Goals Manly=3rd worst (14th), Storm=7th (goes to show where most of our penalties were…in our own half)

Not definatively. Perhaps they elect to go for the try more than other teams.

Quote:
Kick return metres Manly=4th, Storm=1st (I call this the "The Billy Slater stat", great player but so dislikable)

That's rather funny when you consider the Storm have Steve Turner as part of their back 3...

Quote:
Kick Metres Manly=4th, Storm=1st (No surprises here really but highlights the lack of metres in Orfords long kicking game)

Melbourne have a vastly superior kicking game. That is clear to blind Freddy.

Quote:
Missed Tackles Manly=4th worst, Storm 11th worst (Choc, Stewart and Perry mainly i reckon)

No *****. Remind me again are you using these stats to support Melbourne or Manly?...

Quote:
Errors Manly=7th worst, Storm=8th worst (Well, if you're gonna attack, expect to drop a few)

Is that a number or a percentage?
Quote:
Tackles Manly=8th, Storm=1st (an interesting stat...)

And what conclusion to you draw from it?

Quote:
Field Goals Manly=equal 4th, Storm= equal 2nd (who really cares?)

No one, so why post it?

Quote:
40/20s Manly= equal 6th, Storm=3rd (Ox's short kicking game is still brilliant though i keep telling myself)

Smith and Cronk > Ballin and Orford, and by a long way.

Quote:
Points For Manly=1st, Storm=3rd (Best attack in the comp!)

What a load of absolute rubbish. Scoring the most points does NOT automatically mean you have the best attack because week to week footy is not standardized. Injuries, rep committments, I mean the variables are limitless ie. Not every side plays the same competition that others do.

If you knew anything about structure, timing, direction and execution you'd see that Manly are anything but the best attacking side. And again I'll mention the fact that had Manly been missing 5-10 rep player for 3 games like Melbourne or Brisbane or the Roosters, they would not be ranked number 1. It is not a definitive stat at all.

Quote:
Points Against Manly=2nd, Storm=1st (That bloody Souths game…)

Do some actual analysis and draw your own conclusions rather than letting numbers make up your mind on everything.

Quote:
Home Record Manly=2nd
Away Record Manly=1st

Yeah I bet it was hard travelling to Skilled Park to face the Titans without Prince and Harrison. Or to Suncorp to face the Broncos without Lockyer, Michaels, Carroll and Hodges.

Quote:
END OF YEAR FINISH Manly=1st, Storm=2nd

No one can deny that Manly and the Storm were well ahead of the rest of the comp in 2008... but ultimately Manly were the best 

Go Manly in the WCC! C'mon Aussies, get behind one of your own 

Wow, you go so far in depth it's just amazing...

Yes I'm in the minority. I seem to be changing more minds though. When I post my in-depth analysis of Manly's and Melbourne's seasons, I think there'll be plenty of members reconsidering. I understand though, that it's hard for some to even conside the idea that the premiership trophy was tarnished, especially in the Centenary year. People think it's a deep seated hatred for Manly but it's actually lamenting the lost chance we had in our 100th year...

What's this all about, other than to bag us?  Who cares how we got there, we did, and won by a record margin.  The 08 season is over, we won, and now we get on with back to back GF wins.  A certainty imo.

Yeah, you know several crucial calls determine the outcome of a 40-0 win and 110-10 finals series run.

its just a douche on LU who cant handle that Manly won.

You can only play the hand that you are dealt, he somehow feels that we should apologise for having a lucky run, as if thats our fault. just ignore the dude Cliffy

LU is a crap site. I agree with DSM5 who cares we won the comp and we are the current premiers and we are the best.

I got banned by someone called twizzle cause i was paying out some of their useless eel supporters in the eels forum there who couldn't take a joke poor babys.

LU has nothing on Rleague

eagle_predator link said:
LU is a S**t site with double standards there was a group of about 20 who broke away and formed their own forum from their. I agree with DSM5 who cares we won the comp and we are the current premiers and we are the best.

I got banned by some parra scum who calls himself twizzle cause i was paying out some of their useless eel supporters in the eels forum there who couldn't take a joke poor babys.

LU has nothing on Rleague
dood dan was mistaken
this fella is on rleauge
but you are correct
Lspew has got nothing on rleague.

Matabele link said:
Yeah, you know several crucial calls determine the outcome of a 40-0 win and 110-10 finals series run.

Exactly.

I stopped reading it when he labelled posession as "irrelevant".

Absolute spanner.

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179031.msg205157#msg205157 date=1231845799]
They'll be blaming Hollywood next.
go on mata get on there and hammer him
u know ure good at that S**t :)

[/quote]  That would mean I'd have to sign up and give them credibility.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Cliffy Gc link=topic=179031.msg205160#msg205160 date=1231852988]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179031.msg205157#msg205157 date=1231845799]
They'll be blaming Hollywood next.
go on mata get on there and hammer him
u know ure good at that S**t :)

[/quote]  That would mean I'd have to sign up and give them credibility.
[/quote]
rleague is a good site
significantly better than Lspew

come on dots boy

This bloke is a tool.

He is a Broncos supporter who claims we only beat Melbourne in the Grand Final because they were missing Smith and Hoffman.

Well here's news for you buddy, the Broncos failed to beat Melbourne without Smith and Hoffman.

He has zero credibility and is just a ****wit. Pass that on for me Cliffy if you go back there.

clontaago link said:
This bloke is a tool.

He is a Broncos supporter who claims we only beat Melbourne in the Grand Final because they were missing Smith and Hoffman.

Well here's news for you buddy, the Broncos failed to beat Melbourne without Smith and Hoffman.

He has zero credibility and is just a F**kwit. Pass that on for me Cliffy if you go back there.

Smith played against Boncos - that's when he made the illegal tackle.

Also believe that Hoffman was injured in this game as well.

Poor memory, my bad. Still he is a broncos supporter and still a ****wit.

DSM if thats a stab at me, I reckon your smite numbers say it all champ.....

Why would I  have a stab at you Clontaago (refer page one of this thread)?  It's not all about you, and I wear my smites like a badge of courage. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4