Why this win meant so much:-

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Garts said:
If we keep Jorge on the wing he will provide valuable metres like Hoppa did last year. Just don't get that from Oldfield, he does not seem to look for the ball like Jorge does. We missed that in the early rounds.

Unfortunately, does this spell the end of Oldfield, with so many back-ups?

I think Oldie will be in NSW cup for a while. Whare, would be ahead of him if Tooves sticks with Jorge. I think Whare and Wolfie will be the wingers though.

After all your criticism, I'm glad you've given credit where credit's due. Well said Ryan.

Ryan said:
1947 said:
Ryan said:
As people know, I have been critical of our defensive attitude under Toovey, but tonight showed, with a number of stars including Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Tony Williams & Keiran Foran out that we can still win based on that exact adage.

Four of our forwards made over 100 metres, including both our bookends, and two of our starting backrowers. Hell, three players made 30 tackles or more, two of which were players in Watmough and Buhrer that was also in the 100metre+ club.

Some tidbits:-

Dean Whare is a keeper. He really never does anything wrong, and just keeps getting better, but I really hope it's not at the expense of Matai, who 's aggression is a much needed commodity in our team.

Jorge Taufua adds a lot of presence out wide and gets involved in attack at various points in his game.

Liam Foran. I have said in another thread that he would make an excellent utility player full strength, because he can play centre, 5/8, 1/2 back and Hooker. Given consistent time in first grade, I have no doubts he could become a real quality player like his brother.

I think tonight showed us, that if we can't keep Brett Stewart, or Kieran Foran just wants too much, we COULD go on, and still be a pretty good team. We really SHOULD be a club players want to play at, and have success with, and like Melbourne, players should realise that this may come at the cost of the almighty dollar.

Jamie Lyon. My God. Just when you think he is peaking as a player, he just goes to another level, then another level, and another. It goes on. As people know, he's my favourite player. He just adds so much to our team as a whole. In fact, if I'm Perry, I'm talking about extension NOW. I'm sure he could play well later on his his career, ALA Beaver.

Jamie Buhrer - wow. What a little player ! He just does everything expected and more. I hope he plays for City in City/Country. I don't know how, but I'd love for him to continue in the starting line-up when the team is fully healthy, but who do you drop to the bench?

Overall, this is the team I remember from last year. Just that never die attitude. 80 minute football. The hardest thing, is to be able to play that, consistently though.

One thing I am a little confused about though is Skinner. What role does he play? Surely Rose adds more impact?

Anyways - pretty excited after that win. There are so many positives to build off from that game (DCE - wow). My expectations have certainly risen for the 2012 class now.

Wow Ryan a positive wrap coming from you. Last week you had written the team off, and wanting Des reinstated (to that effect).
Good stuff tho that you have seen the light.

We can hate all we like, Des Hasler is an amazing coach. If we could re-instate him, I'd hope we jump at it straight away.

Also, I hadn't written the team off for the thousandth time, I said our defence under Toovey up to that point wasn't good enough, which is EXACTLY what Toovey said about his OWN team pre-game. I also said there was no attention to detail, and again Toovey said that mid week along the lines of the 1% plays need to be done correctly.

Therefore, my criticisms, align with Toovey's.

Written them off. Go on, put more words into people mouthes.

Garts said:
Ryan said:
torana355 said:
Mate it is excusable to say our defense has not been great, i have said the same thing but until this game you had already given up on Tooves and that is poor form. Give him a chance, the Dog Hasler would never have given L Foran a chance but 2V did and look how well he played. Have faith in Tooves!!!!

Mate, I have my own reasons I'm not willing to droll up on these forums as to why I'm not keen on Toovey as a coach. I'll leave it at that.

But yeah, I did like his passion in the box. I did like our defence tonight. All bodes well if we can keep on playing like that.

TokyoEagle said:
I love it when you bag us Ryan, it just makes the boys play that much harder. They might be reading your work.

LoL, if ONLY I was that important.

You must be impressed with the fact Tooves is not risk averse like many on here got into Des about in previous years.

Still plenty of work to be done in the coming weeks. Hopefully we can scrape a few more wins together before we get back the big guns.

Definitely so. I think it also shows we aren't as lacking in depth as first thought. I think Liam, Whare, Taufua are keepers, which is great, if we are potentially losing players.

Whare especially. It makes the $800k per annum The Eels are about to pay Hoppa look ridiculous.

You said they wouldn't win til Round 10, that's a write off.

It was important because for all the hype around the first game back at Brookvale, a loss could have really set them back. Now they have the Titans next week and the bulldogs the week after. So hopefully in 2 weeks we'll be talking about 3 in a row.

Back on the bandwagon Ryan? All of us never left it. Penriff were never going to win. Toovs is going to be an excellent coach no matter what you suggest with your sly insinuations. Just keep bagging the team and the coach, it makes us stronger.

Ryan was over the top in his criticism but no real need to put the boot in DSM5.
To say Penrith was always going to win after your own previous 3 weeks selections were :"we will easily beat these nuffies" when blind freddy could see we would struggle away from home with injuries.To say the Saints and Sharks packs are nuffies on their home patch is just as silly as saying Tooves is a **** coach after 5 rounds.I dont see anyone taking you to task on those predictions.Every premier will lose 5 or 6 times a year and to tip against them is not to say you dont want them to win or they can't win the GF,which is the only prize.

We all get emotional after wins and losses and make horrible predictions.Some posters are negative(Ryan),some pragmatic(myself) and some(like yourself) are overwhelming optimists even when we are no hope.I love your optimism but everyone has different points of view and if we all got held to our previous posts we would all be serving life(eg.my take on Tony Williams early ended up being so wrong it is laughable)

Such an impressive win , every young bloke stood up on the field last night !! and the older guys led the way!! big mention to King also i thought he had an excellent game.

Ryan,
There's a great Australian poem called "Said Hanrahan" about a bloke who say's "We'll all be Ruined" if this here drought don't break and when the rains finally come, it's back to "We'll all be Ruined" because it's going to flood.
I never doubt your passion Buddy, but a little more optimism would go a long way.

susan said:
Ryan was over the top in his criticism but no real need to put the boot in DSM5.
To say Penrith was always going to win after your own previous 3 weeks selections were :"we will easily beat these nuffies" when blind freddy could see we would struggle away from home with injuries.To say the Saints and Sharks packs are nuffies on their home patch is just as silly as saying Tooves is a s**t coach after 5 rounds.I dont see anyone taking you to task on those predictions.Every premier will lose 5 or 6 times a year and to tip against them is not to say you dont want them to win or they can't win the GF,which is the only prize.

We all get emotional after wins and losses and make horrible predictions.Some posters are negative(Ryan),some pragmatic(myself) and some(like yourself) are overwhelming optimists even when we are no hope.I love your optimism but everyone has different points of view and if we all got held to our previous posts we would all be serving life(eg.my take on Tony Williams early ended up being so wrong it is laughable)

Ryan is definitely a pessimist, but, he is also the 1st to get on here and admit if he was wrong. On this occasion he was right about our defence, and i for 1 am happy to see that Tooves and the boys have been reading and heeding Ryan's advice.

They hunted as a pack like last year.At this level the difference between winning and losing is mainly the mental approach.The hallowed brookie turf got our minds back in order.Another home game,players back and a weeks rest should see us working our way up the table.

Our draw looks great from here and the Bulldogs are there to be taken.Despite his knockers on here the dogs dont look anywhere near as good without TH and Melbourne will eat them this week.

Cant wait for that game-flying in from Goldie to see Dessie's wings clipped.

Means so much... the satisfaction of holding the opponent to zilch. A 30-20 scoreline just shows some sloppiness. We know the side has great attack but the D was not a treat.

Over the last few years the best manly sides have been very strong on defence. I know its sort of a self evident statement but its the soft tries you want to halt.

On Tooves, it must be noted he has been coaching in the NRL for, um, 6 games now... that's 8 hours of match time. One day of play.

And he's got a lot of new staff around him too, also finding their feet.

Thank heavens we have Toovey! Imagine, if you dare, he left as well.

Volley said:
Ryan said:
1947 said:
Ryan said:
As people know, I have been critical of our defensive attitude under Toovey, but tonight showed, with a number of stars including Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Tony Williams & Keiran Foran out that we can still win based on that exact adage.

Four of our forwards made over 100 metres, including both our bookends, and two of our starting backrowers. Hell, three players made 30 tackles or more, two of which were players in Watmough and Buhrer that was also in the 100metre+ club.

Some tidbits:-

Dean Whare is a keeper. He really never does anything wrong, and just keeps getting better, but I really hope it's not at the expense of Matai, who 's aggression is a much needed commodity in our team.

Jorge Taufua adds a lot of presence out wide and gets involved in attack at various points in his game.

Liam Foran. I have said in another thread that he would make an excellent utility player full strength, because he can play centre, 5/8, 1/2 back and Hooker. Given consistent time in first grade, I have no doubts he could become a real quality player like his brother.

I think tonight showed us, that if we can't keep Brett Stewart, or Kieran Foran just wants too much, we COULD go on, and still be a pretty good team. We really SHOULD be a club players want to play at, and have success with, and like Melbourne, players should realise that this may come at the cost of the almighty dollar.

Jamie Lyon. My God. Just when you think he is peaking as a player, he just goes to another level, then another level, and another. It goes on. As people know, he's my favourite player. He just adds so much to our team as a whole. In fact, if I'm Perry, I'm talking about extension NOW. I'm sure he could play well later on his his career, ALA Beaver.

Jamie Buhrer - wow. What a little player ! He just does everything expected and more. I hope he plays for City in City/Country. I don't know how, but I'd love for him to continue in the starting line-up when the team is fully healthy, but who do you drop to the bench?

Overall, this is the team I remember from last year. Just that never die attitude. 80 minute football. The hardest thing, is to be able to play that, consistently though.

One thing I am a little confused about though is Skinner. What role does he play? Surely Rose adds more impact?

Anyways - pretty excited after that win. There are so many positives to build off from that game (DCE - wow). My expectations have certainly risen for the 2012 class now.

Wow Ryan a positive wrap coming from you. Last week you had written the team off, and wanting Des reinstated (to that effect).
Good stuff tho that you have seen the light.

We can hate all we like, Des Hasler is an amazing coach. If we could re-instate him, I'd hope we jump at it straight away.

Also, I hadn't written the team off for the thousandth time, I said our defence under Toovey up to that point wasn't good enough, which is EXACTLY what Toovey said about his OWN team pre-game. I also said there was no attention to detail, and again Toovey said that mid week along the lines of the 1% plays need to be done correctly.

Therefore, my criticisms, align with Toovey's.

Written them off. Go on, put more words into people mouthes.

Garts said:
Ryan said:
torana355 said:
Mate it is excusable to say our defense has not been great, i have said the same thing but until this game you had already given up on Tooves and that is poor form. Give him a chance, the Dog Hasler would never have given L Foran a chance but 2V did and look how well he played. Have faith in Tooves!!!!

Mate, I have my own reasons I'm not willing to droll up on these forums as to why I'm not keen on Toovey as a coach. I'll leave it at that.

But yeah, I did like his passion in the box. I did like our defence tonight. All bodes well if we can keep on playing like that.

TokyoEagle said:
I love it when you bag us Ryan, it just makes the boys play that much harder. They might be reading your work.

LoL, if ONLY I was that important.

You must be impressed with the fact Tooves is not risk averse like many on here got into Des about in previous years.

Still plenty of work to be done in the coming weeks. Hopefully we can scrape a few more wins together before we get back the big guns.

Definitely so. I think it also shows we aren't as lacking in depth as first thought. I think Liam, Whare, Taufua are keepers, which is great, if we are potentially losing players.

Whare especially. It makes the $800k per annum The Eels are about to pay Hoppa look ridiculous.

You said they wouldn't win til Round 10, that's a write off.

Thank you Volley. :p

Bhurer reminds me so much of Beaver, runs similar angles, has a similar step and can produce something from nothing. Not only that is a great utility as well as a back rower.
The head gear doesn't hurt either.

I also though Tafua outwide plays a similar game to Wolfman. The big question is with Brett back, do we drop Tafua or Whare?

Good to see our players slotting in so well

susan said:
They hunted as a pack like last year.At this level the difference between winning and losing is mainly the mental approach.The hallowed brookie turf got our minds back in order.Another home game,players back and a weeks rest should see us working our way up the table.

Our draw looks great from here and the Bulldogs are there to be taken.Despite his knockers on here the dogs dont look anywhere near as good without TH and Melbourne will eat them this week.

Cant wait for that game-flying in from Goldie to see Dessie's wings clipped.

Whe Kingy was interviewed straight after the game he mentioned the home fans and playing at Brookie about 3 times. Choc was on 2ky this morning and as usual spoke with passion about the club. The pride and passion that these two local juniors made good bring to the club is invaluable. Having this passion through the playing group and staff is what sets Manly apart and underpins our consistent success. We maintain and nurture club culture rather than trying to be a 'franchise'.

Buhrer might be from out west but he's grown up Manly. He can take the baton from Choc and King.

DSM5 said:
Back on the bandwagon Ryan? All of us never left it. Penriff were never going to win. Toovs is going to be an excellent coach no matter what you suggest with your sly insinuations. Just keep bagging the team and the coach, it makes us stronger.

Yep.

But don't get too carried away, as DSM5 said, Penriff were never going to win. We beat a poor team with a very good display on the night.

So if we lose both Stewies, Foran and TRex I don't think the world will end from what I saw last night.

If RLW don't give DCE a 10 rating I will be very surprised.

Whilst some may call it pessimism, even that in itself can be looked at either way. My sentiment was that I KNEW our defense could and should be better (isn't that a compliment to the playing roster?).

Last night, we belted the Panthers into submission.

To say last night was never in doubt, after the players we had out, is ridiculous. Would any of you have put your house on the line for it in that instance?

The answer is no, unless of coarse you rent ? Hahahaha

More importantly though, how ****ing GREAT is it to debate "footy" though for God's sake with all the other bull**** going on !

Ryan said:
Whilst some may call it pessimism, even that in itself can be looked at either way. My sentiment was that I KNEW our defense could and should be better (isn't that a compliment to the playing roster?).

Last night, we belted the Panthers into submission.

To say last night was never in doubt, after the players we had out, is ridiculous. Would any of you have put your house on the line for it in that instance?

The answer is no, unless of coarse you rent ? Hahahaha

More importantly though, how f**king GREAT is it to debate "footy" though for God's sake with all the other bull**** going on !

Ryan, No one here has thought the defence over the last few weeks has been good, in fact we have all said how crap it has been - that was never in dispute. We all were in agreeance.

What has upset some people, is the constant negativity regarding Toovey. Whilst you appear, and have stated that you have an issue or problem with him (and that is your perogative), he is here to stay and the way forward, so prehaps some support and positivity is needed. Toovey is moving in the same direction as the club, which is what we need to continue to be successful in years to come.

Whilst I think Des was clearly a key figure in turning our club around and I am grateful for the 2 premierships he helped us attain -the reality is that he has gone, and the way he departed was far from ethical and professsional IMO. So no, I do not think most fans would want him reinstated, as your previous post mentioned.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6