[Resurrected] Why does everyone gang up on Watmough?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Choc's methodology was "team first". That meant adjusting income(s) to keep the group together at all costs. As the younger players came in, that mentality disappeared, and it was all about money first.

That didn't sit well with Choc, and he voiced his displeasure to those concerned, and the club backed the younger bloke.

2008, our playing group had a bond other teams could only dream of. That kind of mentality has disappeared from the game now.
That was just about the Ballad of Our passionate and Legendary second rower @Ryan

As a player Choc epitomised the great Manly winning spirit of winning at all costs
He was tough , resilient , courageous and in the end he could have been a bit more graceful .

He had some great qualities and like All of us he was not the perfect person but he was the perfect Manly forward who always gave it his all and always got the job done .

Like him or not , Choc will go down the history books as one of the best forwards that has graced the Legendary Manly Jersey

I don't think there would be a Seaeagle supporter who did not admire Watmough as a player, but he made a few comment that ruffled feathers on the way out the door, which left a few supporters and officials a bit dirty.
Personally reckon some of these things happen at the heat of the moment and get a bit overplayed....he left a stamp as a Manly legend the way I see it and some of this playground stuff and media hype has a way of painting players and ppl in general unfairly, so I threw it in the trash bin long ago and just recall what an integral Manly player he was in great times.

Got to look at the overall picture with Choc , hardly endeared himself to Manly supporters with some of his antics when he was on the way out for Manly and afterwards but just made such a great contribution and was just a very determined and fearless warrior for the club and it was a long career there . Had a couple of rough edges to his game in the early stages but then one of the club's best and most consistent and durable performers and two premierships [ probably should have been a 3 rd of course ] and which he was an integral part of . Didn 't he often claim that he thrived on Red Bull or something like that

Someone here tagged him with the moniker "Blue Arsed" way back in the day. Never a truer nickname, he was 100% full on for 80 minutes. Next best nickname "Whatnow" - as that 80 minutes also brought it's share of hair pulling moment - dropped balls, penalties conceded etc.

Someone here tagged him with the moniker "Blue Arsed" way back in the day. Never a truer nickname, he was 100% full on for 80 minutes. Next best nickname "Whatnow" - as that 80 minutes also brought it's share of hair pulling moment - dropped balls, penalties conceded etc.
The best coaches always have a theory 'If your gunna make a mistake, do it at 100mph and don't dwell on it - make up for it"...which Watmough was guilty on both accounts.

A great Manly player , and whilst I appreciate there may have been internal issues at the time it was sad to see him **** on the club from a great height as he departed.

Other players experienced this ( Vautin for example who wasn’t signed for his last hurrah and played elsewhere ) but almost none did this.

I find that hard to forgive , but no doubting during his peak he was some sort of running forward!!

We made him a life member for his services, rewarded him for his devotion to our club and then he played his part in unsettling things, joined the whinging worms and slagged off our club. Time they say is a great healer, well I hope that maybe Choc might be regretting his words in 2014 and 2015!

Nicely said
A great Manly player , and whilst I appreciate there may have been internal issues at the time it was sad to see him **** on the club from a great height as he departed.

Other players experienced this ( Vautin for example who wasn’t signed for his last hurrah and played elsewhere ) but almost none did this.

I find that hard to forgive , but no doubting during his peak he was some sort of running forward!!
Nicely said @Mark

I remember a game against the Tigers, which we ultimately lost, when Watmough had perhaps the best game I've ever seen any backrower play. The game played out like Watmough vs 13, and he nearly came out on top. It was during that period where they started calling him "the DNA freak" because he just never slowed down in attack or defence. When he was younger that energy could be easily misdirected on the paddock, but when he was on and focussed, he was incredible. Yes, he gave a few dumb interviews when he left us for the Eels, but he gave a lot to and for the Manly club and will always be a Sea Eagle.
I remember this game. they started calling him the Army of One after this game. His best game ever.

I remember a game against the Tigers, which we ultimately lost, when Watmough had perhaps the best game I've ever seen any backrower play. The game played out like Watmough vs 13, and he nearly came out on top. It was during that period where they started calling him "the DNA freak" because he just never slowed down in attack or defence. When he was younger that energy could be easily misdirected on the paddock, but when he was on and focussed, he was incredible. Yes, he gave a few dumb interviews when he left us for the Eels, but he gave a lot to and for the Manly club and will always be a Sea Eagle.
I remember that game, it was a Monday night I believe and I was on night shift and working alongside a Tigers supporter, it looked like Manly were going to win in a canter and as you say Watmough was running riot then the Tigers just ran all over us and I copped crap for the rest of the night after giving my workmate heaps before the tide turned, if the rest of the team had played like choc we would have put 60 on them

• 👍
Reactions: Ned

I get you Mark
And you know more about the back office than most

but from choc and other players points of view it was the club that had had changed its values and not the playing group

the players had bought in but the club moved slightly from the original environment that helped what we achieved and relied in one in all in

this struggle made it up all the way to the coach and ensured our success as footballers became mis aligned to the manager goals

but I think that era can is not that far away again and be built in our local manly relationships

after all Des is actually back and gas got the support that at one time was not there

A paradox even
ca4b8b13d349db9c4660d735ad16a7be.gif

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4