Why do the refs hate Manly so much?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Son of Manly Beach

Reserve Grader
Genuine question. I have been following Manly for a long time and I've tried my best to believe that the game is fair and officIated honestly.
But I've always seen how blatantly the refs favour all other teams and really have it in for Manly.
Everyone that follows Manly can see this and it's not just an excuse for when we lose.

Can anyone explain what the motives are for this?
Is it an NRL directive?
Do the refs personally hate us for some reason?
Is there some other agenda that I'm not aware of?

What's the reason behind the history of our great club getting shafted each week, for all these years?

Because we live in the best place in Australia and the refs don't.
Because the NRL needs clubs with large memberships to be successful.
Because gambling now controls the sport and now with the Bunker fixing matches has never been easier.
Have you ever wondered why AFL hasn't introduced a Bunker? They do occasionally review if a kick was touched before awarding it a goal, but no interference during the match.

Because we live in the best place in Australia and the refs don't.
Because the NRL needs clubs with large memberships to be successful.
Because gambling now controls the sport and now with the Bunker fixing matches has never been easier.
Have you ever wondered why AFL hasn't introduced a Bunker? They do occasionally review if a kick was touched before awarding it a goal, but no interference during the match.
I’ve always wondered if our club matters all that much to the NRL as they don’t seem to think we have a big fan base. But I reckon there’s a ****load of Manly supporters .
I also feel that the media don’t give us any attention- except for Turbo
Makes sense then that they want teams out west and Brisbane etc to be successful and rig the games in their favour

Why did harper tackled a player that just kicked the ball? we are our own worse enemies. Dont blame the ref. every frickin game, we are defending more than 40 minutes, how many games do we actually win the penalty count or 6 agains. eels had all the ball, set after set after set after set.. how can we win? manly is no good. period.

I also feel that the media don’t give us any attention-

Nobody but ourselves to blame for that as a club we have been terrible with the media and with a goose like Des in charge it continues.

Also that rubbish "no one likes us we don't care" crap that the club and supporters fostered has never been smart.

Can't promote "no one likes us we don't care" and now complain

But it is just easier to blame the ref, the nrl I'm sure people will still blame Greenberg.

We seem happy just to nail the ref’s partners and forget to bother playing football to back it up.

manly cost the broadcasters **** tonnes of money by leadng the revolution in super league. Despite what we think we kind of controlled the game until then and many decisions went our way

The game is run by broadcasters. Thus no media coverage of our rorts.
We get overy passionate about people who are on the shows like paul Kent and choose the wrong fights .

In saying that we have a lot of free to air games because of how we played last season. Ratings and gambling would play a big part in that .

Remember no one likes us we dont care, funny as , but i guess we do

The refs, the bunker, 6 agains , just give more avenues to rort results, harder to pinpoint an issue when blame and confusion is evenly spread

But while the stats were dammining last night we shot ourselves in the foot on the back of a pretty good effort mostly.

Why did harper tackled a player that just kicked the ball? we are our own worse enemies. Dont blame the ref. every frickin game, we are defending more than 40 minutes, how many games do we actually win the penalty count or 6 agains. eels had all the ball, set after set after set after set.. how can we win? manly is no good. period.
Even the commentators thought it was simultaneous, it looked worse because they were both going flat out.

Eels had all the ball because the ref only looked at one team.
Must admit the Eels (and Panthers) are the best at drawing ruck penalties - one of my pet hates.

If they end up on their back, they worm their way forward through the mark, on their front they step through the mark.
If the marker holds his ground they get penalised.
One of the late "second effort" penalties last night was a joke, there was no way the Parra player thought the tackle was complete, he kept fighting so we held him again then get penalised.
So if we let him go, would the ref tell him to go back and play it on the mark?
I think we all know the answer to that.

Even the commentators thought it was simultaneous, it looked worse because they were both going flat out.

Eels had all the ball because the ref only looked at one team.
Must admit the Eels (and Panthers) are the best at drawing ruck penalties - one of my pet hates.

If they end up on their back, they worm their way forward through the mark, on their front they step through the mark.
If the marker holds his ground they get penalised.
One of the late "second effort" penalties last night was a joke, there was no way the Parra player thought the tackle was complete, he kept fighting so we held him again then get penalised.
So if we let him go, would the ref tell him to go back and play it on the mark?
I think we all know the answer to that.
The worst of the ruck penalties was the one against Walker. Made the tackle got up and was penalised. Cummins said "that was two in a row." Was off the tackled player in less than 2 seconds. Next set the Parra player layed all over the tackled player for over 5 secs. The Manly players were blowing up but nothing from Cummins.

Maybe one day Four Corners will do another expose on the rugba league, exposing the connections between Slickback in head office, the gambling industry, plus the NRL’s cosy relationship with the Goosters/Squall/Couldabeen Brumbies and the Mixamatohs.

Unlike 1983 however, the Sea Eagles are nowhere the perceived centre of (corrupted) gravity, when Chris Masters took Kevin Humphreys down.

Last edited:
Reckon most of the refs just whistle for the home team....it's just easier that way.

Manly got the rub of the green IMO v the Tigers two weeks ago at home.

Last night we obviously got crucified but reckon its more about the home team and/or the bigger clubs (Brisbane, Parra) getting favoured.

When Manly play one of these teams away from home then we just get killed.

Genuine question. I have been following Manly for a long time and I've tried my best to believe that the game is fair and officIated honestly.
But I've always seen how blatantly the refs favour all other teams and really have it in for Manly.
Everyone that follows Manly can see this and it's not just an excuse for when we lose.

Can anyone explain what the motives are for this?
Is it an NRL directive?
Do the refs personally hate us for some reason?
Is there some other agenda that I'm not aware of?

What's the reason behind the history of our great club getting shafted each week, for all these years?
The referee's personal feelings about this club or that club should have no bearing on their performance on the field. After all, they are supposed to be professionals, and their job is to handle the game impartially and without bias for or against either side.

Clearly this is not happening in the NRL, and last night was a prime example: in the last 10 minutes, Cummings did everything short of picking up the ball himself & putting it down over the tryline on Parramatta's behalf. He did everything humanly possible to make damn sure the Eels won the game...penalty after penalty, not a single 50/50 decision went Manly's way, apparently Parra did not commit a single ruck offence in 80 minutes, the list goes on and on.

No football match should ever have its result determined by the referee...but this is clearly what happened last night.

Rugby league is starting to resemble professional wrestling at the moment... 😡

Nobody but ourselves to blame for that as a club we have been terrible with the media and with a goose like Des in charge it continues.

Also that rubbish "no one likes us we don't care" crap that the club and supporters fostered has never been smart.

Can't promote "no one likes us we don't care" and now complain

But it is just easier to blame the ref, the nrl I'm sure people will still blame Greenberg.
Koko, you are a Clown!

Unconscious Bias - we all have it. For refs they are growing up hating Manly as fans now comes out now on the field?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4