Why did we buy Hastings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
But if we went to Facebook I’d know how to insert a photo, on here it never works for me!
'Upload file' if it is on your device
Or

Open the image in an app/web page then
select Share (in FB if you press on the image, the Copy link Address will pop up) - copy link to clipbard
then
use the ST image icon (next to emoji icon) to paste that link

Screenshot_2017-11-03-10-21-23.png

Jackson Hastings is still in the ' i still have to prove myself " category and he really has to use this as his main motivation if he wants to be an improved and better performed player in the future , No doubt did show a poor and unhelpful attitude when dropped back and selected regularly for Black Town mid year or so , so obviously has to address this aspect of his mindset . Still a player of undoubted ability and talent , again with the pre season timing of player transfers , essentially a straight swap for Matt Parcell . So on balance and taking into account Api "s form this season , Hastings still seems a reasonable and beneficial signing for Manly ..

Anyone who saw Hastings rip Easts' reserve grade (Wyong) apart at Brookie - prior to us beating Easts in first grade - late last season realises that he needs motivation. Beating his former club was the spur that enabled a struggling Blacktown to beat the premiership favourites that day.
He and Tom Wright deserve a crack in the trials playing 5/8. The advantage Hastings has is that he is a goal kicker.

I posted in confirmed rumours and signings a little while back "Hastings to Storm signed yesterday".

I would like to apologise to the forum about this miss lead information. I would never write anything unless it was from a reliable source. In this case the source is a current player with in the system but seems his information is off the mark. Once again apologies and I hope Hastings has a massive year for Manly

I posted in confirmed rumours and signings a little while back "Hastings to Storm signed yesterday".

I would like to apologise to the forum about this miss lead information. I would never write anything unless it was from a reliable source. In this case the source is a current player with in the system but seems his information is off the mark. Once again apologies and I hope Hastings has a massive year for Manly
Even though he is training with Manly, he is no certainty to be at Manly this season. If we sign Pearce, Hastings could be shopped around to free up cap space. There is a lot of water still to flow under the bridge yet.

He was told he could explore other options months ago and things simmered down. Personally, I hope he stays but nothing is set in stone at this stage.

Even though he is training with Manly, he is no certainty to be at Manly this season. If we sign Pearce, Hastings could be shopped around to free up cap space. There is a lot of water still to flow under the bridge yet.

He was told he could explore other options months ago and things simmered down. Personally, I hope he stays but nothing is set in stone at this stage.

Yep let's hope he stays.................you never can have too much dead wood lying around!

1) the sky is not falling;

2) Hastings is signed, and no one seems to be calling;
3) green is human, and after being Wooper Wonks whipping boy for years, and DCEs saviour last year @ 31, he is looking for 1 payday.

@Snake clearly stated that the 70's years of owing Penn loyalty (not Manly) are over, and he is right.

Grow the **** up the lot of you. Green (who played as well this year as in every other year) should have our blessing to leave for the payday, and DCE will have to prove he is in JT's class to manage the change.

Hastings may be "average" like a lot of you seem to think. Maybe DCE can change that like JT did with MM.

Either way..........this is not happening.

giphy.gif

1) the sky is not falling;

2) Hastings is signed, and no one seems to be calling;
3) green is human, and after being Wooper Wonks whipping boy for years, and DCEs saviour last year @ 31, he is looking for 1 payday.

@Snake clearly stated that the 70's years of owing Penn loyalty (not Manly) are over, and he is right.

Grow the **** up the lot of you. Green (who played as well this year as in every other year) should have our blessing to leave for the payday, and DCE will have to prove he is in JT's class to manage the change.

Hastings may be "average" like a lot of you seem to think. Maybe DCE can change that like JT did with MM.

Either way..........this is not happening.

giphy.gif
Ive said it all along that Hastings would be great in the halves with Dce , but he needs game time to prove it and sadly that didn't happen . I hope he stays .

People seem very quick to defend Hastings all the time and I do think he has something to offer, but he is not getting a raw deal...

The last time he played consistently good football was in the NYC going on four years ago. He has never played a blinder at FG level (both at the Roosters and Manly) and he is patchy at NSW Cup level...appearing to lose interest at times.

Some of the onus needs to be placed on Hastings to force the hand of the coaching staff by consistently starring at NSW Cup level, something that he didn't do last year. You don't just walk into a FG halves gig at Manly on a reputation, you earn it.

I think intrigue is driving a lot of the desires of supporters to simply see how Hastings goes, but the club is smart enough to know that intrigue only takes you so far and when injury or poor form strikes, we need something more than just Hastings to hang our hat on for next year.

Hastings has loads of potential but he needs to be identified in one position and left there to develop. He's a clever player with a great kicking game and of course a top goal kicker. But he needs to be allowed to settle in a position. He could be an outstanding 5/8.

Up to now his performances in firsts have only been fair. But then when you're given 5-10 minutes a match, your timing and contribution in the game would naturally be affected. Full games in tthe reggies show what he can do if given game time. If Green goes and we dont get Pearce, I would try him out at 5/8 for the trials and maybe a couple of comp games to see if he can settle and start to impact.

I don't know the bloke but I have seen enough of him to know he can play good footy. I hope they can find the key to unlock his motivation and self belief because if they can he would be a goal kicking gem. He really hasn't been given a go in first grade at Manly yet and has been disinterested in Reggies. We have been fortunate that DCE and Green weren't out with injuries during 2017. Give him a go!!!! If he doesn't take his opportunity then let him go but don't throw him on the scrap heap without giving him a fair crack at 5/8 in FG.

People seem very quick to defend Hastings all the time and I do think he has something to offer, but he is not getting a raw deal...

The last time he played consistently good football was in the NYC going on four years ago. He has never played a blinder at FG level (both at the Roosters and Manly) and he is patchy at NSW Cup level...appearing to lose interest at times.

Some of the onus needs to be placed on Hastings to force the hand of the coaching staff by consistently starring at NSW Cup level, something that he didn't do last year. You don't just walk into a FG halves gig at Manly on a reputation, you earn it.

I think intrigue is driving a lot of the desires of supporters to simply see how Hastings goes, but the club is smart enough to know that intrigue only takes you so far and when injury or poor form strikes, we need something more than just Hastings to hang our hat on for next year.

I am horrified to think Jacko may be seen as expendable especially with our current circus and 7. (Green really being a 7)

Surely Hastings stays over Cullen every day of the week? They are both good players in their own right, but Hastings is more of a half that organiser with a kicking game, add goal kicking. Cullen is too much like DCE wanting to take the line on.

What we do know is that when Hastings is on. he's on. And he has showed enough that he is not over awed at NRL level. That can't be said for the rest of our other halves back ups.

There is always two sides to a story. He seemed to be playing the team game and things seemed to be going reasonably well, considering we moved him to hooker and basically gave him stuff all minutes most games.

Yep he lost some drive being dropped back to NSWC.

Different beasts respond in different ways, and often it is for different reasons. Good Coaches seem to have that knack, in that space and mediocre struggles.

Certainly not saying I know all of Wacko Jacko issues, or that he doesn't need to pull his finger out. But he would be the last half we have I'd be telling to look else where.

Last edited:
100% @double hoops . If we do end up letting Green go to the Warriors and we don't pick up a good replacement (e.g. Pearce), then Hastings really should get first crack at the 5/8 spot IMO.

Not only would Hastings pretty much instantly solve our goal kicking woes, but as you said, he is an organising style half (like Green and Foran before him) that DCE has proven he needs beside him to play at his best because if Cherry has to organise the attack and do the play making, his game suffers big time. Look no further back than the first 10 rounds of 2016 when Walker proved he was an out of position centre to see that. Dylan couldn't organise the attack and wasn't a play making half, at best he was a running half with a limited passing and kicking game. That meant Cherry was flat out trying to do just about everything and the general consensus was that he was out of form.

Even as a second choice, Hastings would probably prove to be the perfect foil for DCE given a decent shot at it. And the way things currently stand with it fairly obvious that Green is anxious to take up one last big pay day over the ditch sooner rather than later, the club would be foolhardy to even think about releasing Hastings before his contract is up at the end of next year.

I am horrified to think Jacko may be seen as expendable especially with our current circus and 7. (Green really being a 7)

Surely Hastings stays over Cullen every day of the week? They are both good players in their own right, but Hastings is more of a half that organiser with a kicking game, add goal kicking. Cullen is too much like DCE wanting to take the line on.

What we do know is that when Hastings is on. he's on. And he has showed enough that he is not over awed at NRL level. That can't be said for the rest of our other halves back ups.

There is always two sides to a story. He seemed to be playing the team game and things seemed to be going reasonably well, considering we moved him to hooker and basically gave him stuff all minutes most games.

Yep he lost some drive being dropped back to NSWC.

Different beasts respond in different ways, and often it is for different reasons. Good Coaches seem to have that knack, in that space and mediocre struggles.

Certainly not saying I know all of Wacko Jacko issues, or that he doesn't need to pull his finger out. But he would be the last half we have I'd be telling to look else where.
I agree with what you've said but it comes down to more than just footballing prowess. He did kick stones a little last year and the Roosters are not propping up his contract this year so unless he is going to be getting serious game time, the club can free up cap space.

In saying that, he is a talented footballer and who knows what the year holds. He is with us at this stage and is probably only an injury away from getting an opportunity.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8