why did they shut down the Manly site forum?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
WAMF link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183738.msg269341#msg269341 date=1277444761]
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183738.msg269338#msg269338 date=1277444502]
Your complete post jjai.  You're the dribbler.  Go tug your other.
..  awww blahhhhhhh.. 
[/quote]
How is Barry these days Jjai...lol
[/quote]..  lol wam he doing ok.. i havent spoken to him since the parra game he  got me  a sea eagles  mouse pad signed by brett & glen..

It certainly is a tough one. I am a member who has his nose out of joint regarding the forum.Its not because there is no forum, as I can have that here, essentially I haven't lost the ability to talk manly with manly minded folk.But I do feel misled or maybe incidental is a better word.

While I totally understand Manlys right and maybe even there need to close the forum, the execution has been poor. I have sent my emails to Sarah and included zorb and lowey in the mix. One email was addressed by the club and the other has gone through to the keeper unanswered. I hope its in the too hard basket rather than the, not this basket case again basket. To be honest it pained me to have to send anything negative to the club I adore and always have. But I just felt wronged

While I understand the reasoning that vidmar has explained to us all, the lack of empathy shown by the club to its members has been pretty hard to Ignore. Even now my Inbox is full of des's diary and match info but nothing hearfelt from the club explaining to its members that unfortunately it was a decision the club had to make. Nothing but corporate blah. Lets face it, if you want to sell me a rotten fish you better have a sales pitch and chuck in some fries .

I have received an email from the club stating that the forum was not part of membership and just and added bonus and printed material sent to fans supports this.They also admit that Information on the website did include it as a benefit but we have since changed that to reflect our new policy. If that isn't gobbledygook than what is. Thankyou once again for treating me like an idiot. Ill make sure I order a dickhe#d hat with my next jersey

Right or wrong, renew or not, good or bad there is just no escaping this feeling I have in my stomach for the way this has been handled.Time heals most wounds and only time will tell, but deep down i ask myself how things can go from such a high to such a low so quickly. If others are able to shake this off without missing a beat then I applaud you.Maybe as a manly fan i should have thicker skin by now but everyone is different. I don't expect everyone to get it

There is no doubt the club has dealt with this in an attitude that is very unbecoming toward its fans, and while everyone makes mistakes in the heat of battle there refusal to re visit the situation and deal with the members on a more personal nature is what sticks in my craw .

james, I feel similarly to you.
But, it seems the minority ( albeit a very large one! ) has tipped it over.

jjai link said:
Loose lips sink ships – at least one poster was getting “inside info” and posting it directly on to the site (Something that Dessie (who as we know likes to keep things very close to his chest) was furious about)

that was me & i was letting yous all know whats happening with our team ..  what is that a crime talking about the team  we all like & support to other ppl who like & support the team also..???????????????.. like i said mate this aint korea or china we can say what we want have any opinions we want..  the club doesnt fukn own us just because i paid them money....  whats their next step im down at the club near where i live & i cant discuss my team around the table..because they wont like it ...wtf..

I hope that you were courteous enough to inform your "deep throat" that you would be plastering their so called inside information all over a public forum. If they don't have a problem with that, then fair enough. If they aren't aware that you will be putting what they told you on the internet then you aren't being a very good confidante are you ?

jbb/james link said:
It certainly is a tough one. I am a member who has his nose out of joint regarding the forum.Its not because there is no forum, as I can have that here, essentially I haven't lost the ability to talk manly with manly minded folk.But I do feel misled or maybe incidental is a better word.

While I totally understand Manlys right and maybe even there need to close the forum, the execution has been poor. I have sent my emails to Sarah and included zorb and lowey in the mix. One email was addressed by the club and the other has gone through to the keeper unanswered. I hope its in the too hard basket rather than the, not this basket case again basket. To be honest it pained me to have to send anything negative to the club I adore and always have. But I just felt wronged

While I understand the reasoning that vidmar has explained to us all, the lack of empathy shown by the club to its members has been pretty hard to Ignore. Even now my Inbox is full of des's diary and match info but nothing hearfelt from the club explaining to its members that unfortunately it was a decision the club had to make. Nothing but corporate blah. Lets face it, if you want to sell me a rotten fish you better have a sales pitch and chuck in some fries .

I have received an email from the club stating that the forum was not part of membership and just and added bonus and printed material sent to fans supports this.They also admit that Information on the website did include it as a benefit but we have since changed that to reflect our new policy. If that isn't gobbledygook than what is. Thankyou once again for treating me like an idiot. Ill make sure I order a dickhe#d hat with my next jersey

Right or wrong, renew or not, good or bad there is just no escaping this feeling I have in my stomach for the way this has been handled.Time heals most wounds and only time will tell, but deep down i ask myself how things can go from such a high to such a low so quickly. If others are able to shake this off without missing a beat then I applaud you.Maybe as a manly fan i should have thicker skin by now but everyone is different. I don't expect everyone to get it

There is no doubt the club has dealt with this in an attitude that is very unbecoming toward its fans, and while everyone makes mistakes in the heat of battle there refusal to re visit the situation and deal with the members on a more personal nature is what sticks in my craw .
excellent post James.
I'm positive if Grant Mayer
was still CEO the forum debacle would have been handled much better.
He was in tune with it, and gained much respect when he frequently answered posts on MWSE.

vidmar link said:
I’ve taken steps to understand why the forum was closed (ie I called and asked!)

Several reasons…

Pretty much every member of the club and senior administration (owners, CEO, coach, media manager and several players) has been significantly abused and derided over the last 12 months (You don’t need a deer stalker hat and a magnifying glass to understand why there wouldn’t be much support for the forum at a senior level) – often some of these posts were just downright disrespectful but in some cases posts were potentially legal issues – this is not about freedom of speech but rather why would you want to support a channel that allows people to constantly snipe and portray you in a bad light with no recourse whilst also creating potential for legal nightmares?

Loose lips sink ships – at least one poster was getting “inside info” and posting it directly on to the site (Something that Dessie (who as we know likes to keep things very close to his chest) was furious about)

Legal advice was taken about the forum, the risks posed to the club and action was taken

The lack of a full time resource to monitor and moderate the forum was an issue

It was felt that benefits provided compared with the possible impact to the club were not worthwhile.

Anything posted on the site that was not removed was seen as effectively sanctioned by the club – they couldn’t win, if they removed posts they were accused of excessive censorship and if they left posts up they were open to problems elsewhere – if they banned people for inappropriate posts then they were seen as heavy handed?

I don’t agree with how and when the site was taken down but I do understand some of the issued faced in providing the forum and why it subsequently has been closed– something alluded to by Dan in his posts above.

We have this site so effectively still have a forum to visit and post on which is great

Load of dribble really - They sold memberships based on extras like the forum & removed them before the memberships expired.

They broke a contract with the members. The forum could have been policed / moderated by long time members.

It is a cop out to bring them in line with all the other bigpond stagnant websites run by the NRL.

It should have been done at the end of the season then no one could have been mislead about their membership & what they paid for.

Bunch of fraudsters who obtained money by deception. Advertising a product they had no intention of providing.

Sham shame shame.

As for not being part of the membership - it was clearly advertised on the club website even the day after the forum was closed.

I copied the advert & printed it to pdf.

Here is the advert.

3 GAME MEMBERSHIP
Save yourself time and money while supporting YOUR team.  Three Game Membership gives you entry into any three Sea Eagles home games at a heavily reduced rate.

Join the faithful on the hill, avoid the queues, save money and show your true support for the mighty Sea Eagles.

Entitlements:
• General Admission entry into any three Sea Eagles home games of your choice in the 2010 season at Brookvale Oval or Bluetongue Stadium
• Bar-coded membership card
• Lanyard
• Exclusive members-only e-newsletters including Des’ Diary
• Access to the members-only forum

3 GAME MEMBERSHIP
ADULTS $50
CONCESSION & JUNIOR 8 $35
FAMILY 9 $125

I have the web page printed to pdf & date stamped if anyone wants a copy.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183738.msg269315#msg269315 date=1277442594]

that was me & i was letting yous all know whats happening with our team ..   what is that a crime talking about the team  we all like & support to other ppl who like & support the team also..???????????????.. like i said mate this aint korea or china we can say what we want have any opinions we want..  the club doesnt fukn own us just because i paid them money....  whats their next step im down at the club near where i live & i cant discuss my team around the table..because they wont like it ...wtf..

I hope that you were courteous enough to inform your "deep throat" that you would be plastering their so called inside information all over a public forum. If they don't have a problem with that, then fair enough. If they aren't aware that you will be putting what they told you on the internet then you aren't being a very good confidante are you ?
[/quote].. yeah i know where you coming from chip i was threatend with getting banned from the mwse forum thats the only reason i told them.. in hindsight i should have stood me ground & told them to get ****ed im not saying ..  but i didnt know about you guys here then.. if i did i wouldnt have exposed it mate.. so yeah im a dumbazzz..  
& regarding barry stewart yeah he wasnt too happy with me .. told me he isnt saying **** to me about anything in regards to that type of stuff again  (kinda)  lol..

jjai link said:
[quote author=WAMF link=topic=183738.msg269375#msg269375 date=1277449138]
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183738.msg269341#msg269341 date=1277444761]
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183738.msg269338#msg269338 date=1277444502]
Your complete post jjai.  You're the dribbler.  Go tug your other.
..  awww blahhhhhhh..  
[/quote]
How is Barry these days Jjai...lol
[/quote]..  lol wam he doing ok.. i havent spoken to him since the parra game he  got me   a sea eagles  mouse pad signed by brett & glen..
[/quote]
They are obviously encouraging you to keep posting !

They shut down the forum because they knew how ****house a team we really have and were anticipating how crap our form was going to be in order to save all the criticism that was going to be directed at the club.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=183738.msg269373#msg269373 date=1277449058]
Although it would have been more friendly of them to remove the forum at seasons end after some forewarning, I guess with all of the headaches that it was causing them that they just decided to execute their right to utilise paragraph 23 in the Terms & Conditions that you would have agreed to when you took out your membership just to end their problem.  Paragraph 23 states:

23. Membership Benefits - The Sea Eagles reserve the right to add, change or delete benefits from any membership category offered in the 2010 season without prior warning.

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/membership.asp#TnC
and judging by many reactions, their decision to exercise that clause will cost them members.
Imagine if they decided to remove access to your season ticket....lol
[/quote]

Good point WAMF!Say the Jane Try stand m'ship was full (don't know if it is or not!) and some new cashed up members came to the club,and said "we'll pay 4 times what seats x,x,x,x and x are worth,if you can get them for us".Under the terms and conditions,could they chuck out paid up members,to replace them with bigger spending members?And to back your other point-if they had articulated it like Vid did here,it would have saved a heap of angst!That's been their problem all along-not enough communication!

Bones link said:
[quote author=bob dylan link=topic=183738.msg269306#msg269306 date=1277441372]
Thanks Vidmar

As it stands it's embarrassing

Not as embarrassing as the poor excuse for a football team that played tonight.
[/quote]

Have to agree bones.I'm getting sick of paying good money to watch 2nd rate garbage from a team touted as premiers.And,I know guys,I'll be one of the first to eat humble pie,whilst guzzling crown lager,if/when we win this year!

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=Bones link=topic=183738.msg269714#msg269714 date=1277484144]
Thanks Vidmar

[/quote]

Have to agree bones.I'm getting sick of paying good money to watch 2nd rate garbage from a team touted as premiers.And,I know guys,I'll be one of the first to eat humble pie,whilst guzzling crown lager,if/when we win this year!
[/quote]

Here's hoping ! Not the you eating humble pie of coarse....but Manly getting back on track, and quick smart. Dang I wish Brett Stewart and/or Wolfman were available.....oh....and of coarse Lyon.

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=Bones link=topic=183738.msg269714#msg269714 date=1277484144]
Thanks Vidmar

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who touted the team as Premiers ? It certainly wasn't the club themselves

in reading the replies here the simple truth has finally dawned on me - so here's the reason: DES
I know from a senior member of the club who I spoke to personally that Des rules Manly
what Des wants Des gets - he has won a premiership and that gives him enormous pull
and I was told that DES controls everything - players, team selection, down to extra bottles of water, towels anything
so DES would have thought, in his brain, the forum might get read my some Manly players and get ideas into their heads
so DES would says: get rid of it

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8