why did they shut down the Manly site forum?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
I'm here now
hi everyone
does anyone know the real reason why they shut down the Manly forum on the MWSE site?
was it to save $$?

The only ones who can answer that questions are the Sea Eagles.

However from what I understand is that it was essentially due to several reasons

1 - They want users to be able to discuss the sea eagles etc, however on the official site to have people bagging and targeting admin and staff basically isnt a good look.

2 - In order to keep everything good on there they needed staff to go in and moderate the forums and administrate them, however the only staff to do this really didnt have the time to dedicate to look after this.

So basically it came to a business decision that whilst they want fans to meet, talk and enjoy discussing the Sea Eagles, it is just not really a good move business wise, and also becomes to hard to administer.

Now that is my opinion and basic understanding, and I can completely agree with that decision

And in the end, it just means we can build a bigger, better and stronger community here.

Its not just the forum its the whole website and the internet that they were not able to run.

So they decided the best way to keep the traffic down from their outdated and poorly maintained website was to close the forum.

That way less people would see that the Members News hadn't been updated since March and the only wallpaper you can download is from 2008.

I can't really make any comment on that as I don't really use the site.

It is true that they probably don't have dedicated staff for this, but really who does?

Personally I want them concentrating on getting the team right and winning games.

My standard and official line is that the only people that can answer these questions and concerns are the people that made the decision, so it may be best to direct your queries there.

However happy to discuss the relative merits etc

BAZ link said:
I'm here now
hi everyone
does anyone know the real reason why they shut down the Manly forum on the MWSE site?
was it to save $$?

Because Dan offered a much better superior product over here with a great forum and up to date news etc. and they just couldn't compete so they shut theirs down and suggested that everybody come over here to silvertails.net instead.

Only kidding.  I don't really know why they shut it down but it was probably more along the lines of what Dan has said.

I am not kidding though about Dan offering a much better superior product over here with a great forum and up to date news etc.

where is it doing that Fro?

it isn't doing that on any of my browsers

Oh i see, IE8 is doing it....yuck...best answer...dont use IE :) but I will try to fix this afternoon

Fixed......sorry

Report any others you see please

They shut it down because deep, deep down, they care little for the members once they have your $$$ in the bank.
The decent thing to do would have been to keep it running(yes, that may have meant it cost $$) until the end of the year when memberships expire for 2010.

They could have then properly disengaged the forum from the membership packages in their promotion of the 2011 packages.

There is a right way to do things and it doesn't matter what twist people add, this just wasn't done right and the proof is in the amount of foul tasting mouths out there.

I personally don't subscribe to the brand damage theory.
The club already took the step of removing the forum from public view and made it only available to paid up members.

Performances on and off the field by those employed by the club dictate the strength of the brand, not the supporters. Feed me another one.

WAMF link said:
They shut it down because deep, deep down, they care little for the members once they have your $$$ in the bank.
The decent thing to do would have been to keep it running(yes, that may have meant it cost $$) until the end of the year when memberships expire for 2010.

They could have then properly disengaged the forum from the membership packages in their promotion of the 2011 packages.

There is a right way to do things and it doesn't matter what twist people add, this just wasn't done right and the proof is in the amount of foul tasting mouths out there.

I personally don't subscribe to the brand damage theory.
The club already took the step of removing the forum from public view and made it only available to paid up members.

Performances on and off the field by those employed by the club dictate the strength of the brand, not the supporters. Feed me another one.
..  lol WAM ..  i agree with you..

I’ve taken steps to understand why the forum was closed (ie I called and asked!)

Several reasons…

Pretty much every member of the club and senior administration (owners, CEO, coach, media manager and several players) has been significantly abused and derided over the last 12 months (You don’t need a deer stalker hat and a magnifying glass to understand why there wouldn’t be much support for the forum at a senior level) – often some of these posts were just downright disrespectful but in some cases posts were potentially legal issues – this is not about freedom of speech but rather why would you want to support a channel that allows people to constantly snipe and portray you in a bad light with no recourse whilst also creating potential for legal nightmares?

Loose lips sink ships – at least one poster was getting “inside info” and posting it directly on to the site (Something that Dessie (who as we know likes to keep things very close to his chest) was furious about)

Legal advice was taken about the forum, the risks posed to the club and action was taken

The lack of a full time resource to monitor and moderate the forum was an issue

It was felt that benefits provided compared with the possible impact to the club were not worthwhile.

Anything posted on the site that was not removed was seen as effectively sanctioned by the club – they couldn’t win, if they removed posts they were accused of excessive censorship and if they left posts up they were open to problems elsewhere – if they banned people for inappropriate posts then they were seen as heavy handed?

I don’t agree with how and when the site was taken down but I do understand some of the issued faced in providing the forum and why it subsequently has been closed– something alluded to by Dan in his posts above.

We have this site so effectively still have a forum to visit and post on which is great

bob dylan link said:
Its not just the forum its the whole website and the internet that they were not able to run.

So they decided the best way to keep the traffic down from their outdated and poorly maintained website was to close the forum.

That way less people would see that the Members News hadn't been updated since March and the only wallpaper you can download is from 2008.

Aaron did a great job in getting the site up to steam but of course left just before the start of the season and of course some aspects of the site has suffered.

A person has now been tasked with running the site full time and will be on the case very soon so some of these issues should be resolved fairly soon I understand

Vidmar VERY good description.

We might have to sticky that one. I know well the legal issues etc, and this is probably a good time to remind people to think about what they post before posting it

Vid, that makes perfect sense and I have no issue with those reasons.
Now if only the club would have been able to communicate exactly what you have managed to do, they would have saved plenty of face.

Cheers,

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6