Who will start at 5/8 - Schuster or Foran ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just on Foran and his body. Remember back to how Donny and our rehab team managed snakes body 2011-2014. Brett didn’t miss too many games in that time with his broken body. I expect foz to be in the best condition he’s been in years next season and he will surprise us.

Wouldn "t rule anything out for the Manly 6 position next season . Schuster has to be in the 17 somewhere and preferably run on side , Foz of course in the mix and naturally bought in for some direction and somewhere in the line up . D C E does go much better with an influential 6 to complement his play . Won"t expect general agreement but Walker at 6 and playing well did allow D C E to play to his potential better . Now of course a different situation with Schuster and Foz on the scene but again as far as the more suited 6 partner for D C E for next season , would not rule any viable option out with the present playing roster .

Just on Foran and his body. Remember back to how Donny and our rehab team managed snakes body 2011-2014. Brett didn’t miss too many games in that time with his broken body. I expect foz to be in the best condition he’s been in years next season and he will surprise us.

Bit difficult to compare players with injuries.

Brett had only two years virtually out of the game in 2009 and 2010. He was only 25 by that time and therefore more comparable to Tom Trbojevic ( who will suffer some debilitation as a result of these ongoing issues). He didn't really suffer recurrences of the serious types Foran did until 2016 when his body obvious gave out. Note he was 31 when that happen and Foran will hit 31 in 2021. Certainly they manged his physical problems after 2010 well, though he wasn't quite as dynamic as he had been pre 2009 when he was at one stage considered the best full back in the comp even beyond Slater and played his only test. Still outstanding later but...

Foran's injuries have been different in that they have occurred later in his career and consistently every year since 2015. I'm sure he's had some of the best medical treatment around, as most top grade sportspeople do. I doubt even Donny's wizardry could have stopped that.

The thing is injuries seem to take their toll. If you are lucky like Cliff Lyons, Cam Smith and Menzies and have very few injuries and stay out of the rough stuff more often, you can survive until you are 37, 37 and 34 respectively. Even a tough as nails Toovey had to retire at 32 and he didn't have season ending injuries in his past. Look at tough as teak Steve Matai. Very few major injuries but gone by 32. The game wears them out and serious injuries obviously debilitate and reduce effectiveness. Players adapt but their bodies are no longer what they were at 21-25 compared to 27-31. Sportspeople obviously endure far worse wear and tear than most of us will ever know. Foran will struggle. He'll adapt and his natural skills are still there and he knows a lot more, but his body wont do what it once did, a younger body which I think many of us still see he has in our minds. Playing him half a game ,just may get him through 2021 unscathed.

Has anyone considered that Walker could still be our 5/8 next year? Just throwing it out there. He was our starting 5/8 this year

Quite right that he was 5/8 and did a better job than anyone since Green. But he's best at centre where he can use his evasive skills and speed. To use him at 5/8 reduces what we have at centre and denies a potential star at 5/8. Lose, lose in my opinion

I think Foran will probably be used like Cam Smith. They'll keep him out of the rough stuff, and he'll direct which way the play heads from dummy half, and maybe do an occasional scurry forward. 5/8 does a lot of defence and they'll want to keep him away from that.
Cam Smith regularly makes 40-50 tackles per game and has made as high as 70. I would love to see one of these defensive five-eighths. We also need to sign one of them ASAP

I know someone that knows someone... Foran will be 5/8 and Schuster will be eased in. I hope this was just "fake news" but I expect Foran to start as our 5/8.

I hope you’re right, but they seem to be doing a pretty crap job with Trbojevic’s body.

I think Foran will probably be used like Cam Smith. They'll keep him out of the rough stuff, and he'll direct which way the play heads from dummy half, and maybe do an occasional scurry forward. 5/8 does a lot of defence and they'll want to keep him away from that.

Hold on... we want Foran to do less defence, so we move him from 5/8 to hooker? Last time I checked, hookers make more tackles (and against big men) than anyone else on the field.

Des used the 'hooker' idea to convince the Fultons to agree to his signing. However, he has no intention of playing Foz at 9. He has been brought in to take pressure of Daly and will be 5/8 next year. Schuster will pop up where needed. Injury cover at 6, centres, backrow. He is very versatile.

Cam Smith regularly makes 40-50 tackles per game and has made as high as 70. I would love to see one of these defensive five-eighths. We also need to sign one of them ASAP

Actually his tackling was a little less than 40 per match but point taken, though if you watch his tackling style, its often with others involved and he rarely takes the full impact. Thing is with Foran, he could be on the field for only 40 minutes a game if he operates in tandem with Cust, which means his tackling based on Smith's average would be half. Smith tended to stay on the field for the full match. And I would suggest Des may try to keep him away from the rough stuff to prolong his usefulness given his tendency for injury. Five eighths tend to tackle about 20-30 per match.

Des used the 'hooker' idea to convince the Fultons to agree to his signing. However, he has no intention of playing Foz at 9. He has been brought in to take pressure of Daly and will be 5/8 next year. Schuster will pop up where needed. Injury cover at 6, centres, backrow. He is very versatile.
Thanks for your input here Snake...Geez I'd love to see Schuster at 13, with Jake moving to prop. Could be something special!

You think Melbourne would entertain a swap with Croker and Munster? He works well with Cherry lol

Failing that, Croker for Grant?

You think Melbourne would entertain a swap with Croker and Munster? He works well with Cherry lol

Failing that, Croker for Grant?

That's why DCE needs someone of Schuster's quality covering the other side of the field. If he reaches the level I thing he could make, he'll be easily the equal of Munster. He'd be wasted anywhere else. The kid is a natural ball player and link man, not a forward. Imagine if Munster was playing lock or second row instead.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4