Who replaces kelly ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Totally agree with your right to argue the quality on paper of our 1-7, however whatever squad Des ends up with is the one he will have to unite and improve...gradually & steadily.
Games are not won on paper, and it would be ludicrous to say in 2019, we will hit the ground as a favoured team.
That being said, what is your ****ing point? Apart from stating the obvious, as you tend to do, what debate would you like to engage in?
I support this team and believe 2019 will be the beginning of a successful recalibration of the club in general. I want to believe that we will have steady progress in achieving this goal. Furthermore, I believe Hasler can make it happen.
I don’t want to argue with you @Ryan , I would just prefer you stop banging your negative drum on some of the signings (on Barrett’s watch) that Des will inherit and attempt to extract their very best.
Playing semantics over the cards that have been dealt is petty and simplistic. Cheers

My point is our roster construction is an abomination. Saying Des will have a pack of no names beating the rest of the league because of some magical ointment t doesn't work.

Look at our backlines when we won Grand Finals. Look at The Roosters backline last year. Look at The Storms last year.

I absolutely love that Des is back, but I don't agree he'll be some automatic upgrade on Trent Barrett. In fact, he'll have the same forward pack, but a heavily regressed backline.

My point is that we need to be real in our expectations. People are making out Des is a magician. He's not. It took him years to rebuild our roster. Yes, I still love the Manly legend.

Regardless of why, Des agreed to release Kelly. The club decided not to resign Uate. The club decided on acquiring broken down and sacked players like Hodkinson and Suli.

We are STILL fumbling from one disaster to the next (Fainu, DCE, Hastings, Walker etc).

I disagree these days as well. Games ARE won on paper. The best rosters won, and were in the G.F. last year (why do you think they are always accused of cheating the cap).

I'm literally appalled by the quality of the players in our backline. Besides Tommy (and without Walker), I don't rate any of the others. Taufua should be retired. We have no centres for me to debate. Elgey is an unknown. DCE..I don't know tbh.

My point is our roster construction is an abomination. Saying Des will have a pack of no names beating the rest of the league because of some magical ointment t doesn't work.

Worked for Leicester City. Just need a few Buddhist monks to bless us.

If we are replacing kelly for someone in the vicinity of 150 k they ain’t gonna be better than the above

It was stated by SNAKE that we are looking at a centre for less money than Kelly's cost.

His previous contract was around that 150k I believe BUT his cost for 2019 will be more in the 250k+ region. It was either upgrade him to that amount or the Titans would pay it, and they are.

I'm guessing we are looking to spend maybe 250k on a replacement.

Look at our backlines when we won Grand Finals. Look at The Roosters backline last year. Look at The Storms last year.

I absolutely love that Des is back, but I don't agree he'll be some automatic upgrade on Trent Barrett. In fact, he'll have the same forward pack, but a heavily regressed backline.

My point is that we need to be real in our expectations. People are making out Des is a magician. He's not. It took him years to rebuild our roster. Yes, I still love the Manly legend.

Regardless of why, Des agreed to release Kelly. The club decided not to resign Uate. The club decided on acquiring broken down and sacked players like Hodkinson and Suli.

We are STILL fumbling from one disaster to the next (Fainu, DCE, Hastings, Walker etc).

I disagree these days as well. Games ARE won on paper. The best rosters won, and were in the G.F. last year (why do you think they are always accused of cheating the cap).

I'm literally appalled by the quality of the players in our backline. Besides Tommy (and without Walker), I don't rate any of the others. Taufua should be retired. We have no centres for me to debate. Elgey is an unknown. DCE..I don't know tbh.

Ryan, no one is saying we have a team of world beaters...........we have what we have so maybe supporting & encouraging the players rather than bagging them might be a good idea. No one knows what 2019 will bring. There may just be a surprise or two in the back line players we have signed!! The youngsters need a chance so why not give them one. It's a rebuild & yes it will take time. Other teams take chances & promote the younger players because they have faith in their ability...........we have some classy young backs. Time to let them show what they have.

How is Antonio Winterstein's knee???? Maybe trying to entice him out of retirement?? Pretty good Center in his day & not that old for a back?? 30 maybe?? I'm bored hahahahahaha!

No one on that list is knocking any doors down as a good defensive centre.

An unfortunate result of the NYC which produced a lot of fast, skillful back 5's who are superstars with the ball in hand, but most can't seem to tackle to save themselves.

Its one of the reasons I actually see the Kangaroos coming back to the field in test football because a lot of these players, Tedesco, Mitchell, Gagai, even Tom to a certain extent, are now in the test side and they aren't great defenders. A lot of the U/20s emphasis seemed to be on attacking football which is great to watch, but its not the best when they are letting in as many tries as they score. For now it seems, gone are the days when the Kangaroos 1-5 were pretty much all very good defensive players. Guys like Jack, Belcher, Ettingshausen, Meninga, O'Connor, Lyon etc were all great attacking players, but they could also defend and a lot of our test success over the last 40 years has been built on having strong defence right across the park and not just in the forwards (especially under Stanton, Furner and Bozo). I fear that with the influx of outside backs into the test side who aren't all that good at defence, the Kangaroos are definitely going to have a harder time of it. We're almost becoming like Pommy backs, all flash and no substance.

And part of that means that there isn't going to be a lot of good defensive centres in the NRL for a while.

Lack of options my friend. Lack of options. Probably the best we have.

Its funny how only what, 3 or 4 years ago, Parker was seen as a talented junior coming through the ranks with a bright future. Sure, not as talented as say Turbo or Gutho were, but still touted as a future first grader with a long career ahead of him provided he stayed injury free. Yet now after some rather disappointing performances it seems a lot would be happier if he never saw first grade again.

As you say though, options. We don't have Kelly any more and right now Walker is looking a bit doubtful, though still possible. Jorge and Suli will probably take 2 spots at this stage, but that still leaves one wing and possibly one centre. And when it comes to experience (if not talent), Parker is probably ahead of the rest.

Gela Mosby or Bowen ?

Gela Mosby would be a nice signing. Lightining fast and can score tries from anywhere if he finds half an open space!
I’d say defence is the only thing that held him back after 20’s. Could be the next Josh Addo Carr if Des tightens up his defence :thumbsup:

List of QLD Centers / Wingers:

Gehamat Shibasaki (Broncos)
Jordan Kahu (Broncos)
Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)

Dan Russell (Cowboys)
Enari Tuala (Cowboys)
Javed Bowen (Cowboys)
Justin O’Neil (Cowboys)
Tom Opacic (Cowboys)
Gideon Gela-Moseby (Cowboys)
Kurt Wiltshire (Cowboys)
Murray Taulagi (Cowboys)

Dale Copley (Titans)
Phillip Sami (Titans)

Dane Gagai (Souths)

Will Chambers (Storm)

Is it one of these guys? Dane Gagai would be great!!

My favorite picks in terms of value for money would be Gela Mosby, Philip Sami or pay a little extra for Kahu- experience and goal kicking. Mosby and Sami for potential

Totally agree with your right to argue the quality on paper of our 1-7, however whatever squad Des ends up with is the one he will have to unite and improve...gradually & steadily.
Games are not won on paper, and it would be ludicrous to say in 2019, we will hit the ground as a favoured team.
That being said, what is your ****ing point? Apart from stating the obvious, as you tend to do, what debate would you like to engage in?
I support this team and believe 2019 will be the beginning of a successful recalibration of the club in general. I want to believe that we will have steady progress in achieving this goal. Furthermore, I believe Hasler can make it happen.
I don’t want to argue with you @Ryan , I would just prefer you stop banging your negative drum on some of the signings (on Barrett’s watch) that Des will inherit and attempt to extract their very best.
Playing semantics over the cards that have been dealt is petty and simplistic. Cheers
Agree 100%
Guys like Williamson, Bryant, Rodney, robbo, wolfman, hall were all discards from other clubs and Manly were their "last chance" saloon.
All of the above become good solid players for Manly, even josh Perry lifted when he came here and most hated him before he came here.

An unfortunate result of the NYC which produced a lot of fast, skillful back 5's who are superstars with the ball in hand, but most can't seem to tackle to save themselves.

Cricket is currently suffering the same issue in Test matches, with a plague of T20 players getting a gig.

Seems to be a symptom of the modern day phenomenon of wanting everything now, bigger, more flashier, etc.

Cricket is currently suffering the same issue in Test matches, with a plague of T20 players getting a gig.

Seems to be a symptom of the modern day phenomenon of wanting everything now, bigger, more flashier, etc.
#sackfinch

Mate, I just got through watching the first test against India and I would say just about all of our top order wouldn't have even gotten close to a test call up 30 or so years ago when the West Indies and even England were kicking our butts. I mean, if someone as untalented as Peter Handscomb is deemed a good enough batter to be in the test team then God help us. And its not like the Indian's have a great bowling attack. Aussie sides with the likes of Border, the Waugh's, Dean Jones, Boony etc would have cut this current lot to ribbons.

And the sad thing is that top rugby league in Australia is starting to turn in the same direction......its why we're seeing cricket scores in a lot of NRL games, from both teams, and why the Kangaroos are coming back to the field internationally.

Last edited:
Mate, I just got through watching the first test against India and I would say just about all of our top order wouldn't have even gotten close to a test call up 30 or so years ago when the West Indies and even England were kicking our butts. I mean, if someone as untalented as Peter Handscomb is deemed a good enough batter to be in the test team then God help us. And its not like the Indian's have a great bowling attack. Aussie sides with the likes of Border, the Waugh's, Dean Jones, Boony etc would have cut this current lot to ribbons.

And the sad thing is that top rugby league in Australia is starting to turn in the same direction......its why we're seeing cricket scores in a lot of NRL games, from both teams, and why the Kangaroos are coming back to the field internationally.
Seriously @HoldenV8 . What does cricket have to do with Rugby League mate ? We are better off talking about religion :p

The team under pup would clean sweep this current indian side.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8