Who do we let go next year now?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've read posts suggesting we need a back-up fullback.
What decent fullback is going to come to Manly knowing he'll be playing reserve grade unless something happens to Turbo?
You'll only get a no-name trying his luck. It would be more sensible to retain Tyfuna who we know is a back-up fullback/outside back. Plus we also have Koala and Tippytoes who are going to be better than a no-name recruit.
Agree, Zorba on BSB this morning saying we definately need a backup FB, insinuating without tom we're no chance, he then compared panffers, losing Edwards and shifting Crichton to FB lose nothing in attack, I think he forgot Edwards isn't a gun like tom, and look what happens when Cleary doesn't play, they just can't replace him and just do the best they can
If we unearth a good young FB from our juniors he won't stick around behind tom

Garrick is young and improving, he should be doing some intensive fullback training with snake and tom(assuming he isn't) as i see him here for a few more years yet.
He doesn't really have the ball paying skill set to really be an effective fullback in today's game.. that, and I noticed that in attack he is never where he should be chiming in trying to create 3 on 2s etc. Don't think I can remember one play from the raiders game where he featured in a backline movement either. Either he was to gassed or its a part of his game he needs to work on

He doesn't really have the ball paying skill set to really be an effective fullback in today's game.. that, and I noticed that in attack he is never where he should be chiming in trying to create 3 on 2s etc. Don't think I can remember one play from the raiders game where he featured in a backline movement either. Either he was to gassed or its a part of his game he needs to work on
There aren't many clubs that have two good fullbacks in their squad. Melbourne is one but they are losing Hynes next season.
Generally if your No. 1 fullback gets injured the club will use a centre or a winger. The 'Boys used a hooker for a few matches.
If a club is lucky enough to have two gun fullbacks one of them will be poached.
Sandwich, Tyfuna and Harpo are stopgap options and are probably as good as any other fullback who'd come to Manly knowing they'd only get a match in Turbo got injured.

I would think Lionel could make a very good fill-in FB. He has good hands, game awareness, very good positional play, is a very good defender and would be a very good link man.. The problem is who babysits Wasaabi when he is doing it. Now that I really think about it, he would probably make a very good fulltime NRL FB.

I dont think fitness is his issue. Watching live, I reckon he is the fittest in our club! I just don't think he has that ball playing ability. He would be a perfect 3rd string/back up fullback but I would definitely like a ball playing back up as our priority signing.

I dont think fitness is his issue. Watching live, I reckon he is the fittest in our club! I just don't think he has that ball playing ability. He would be a perfect 3rd string/back up fullback but I would definitely like a ball playing back up as our priority signing.
Did Des mention Saab at one stage in pre-season as a possible replacement full-back? Still may need another year or 2 of NRL first, but he can cover the ground and also catch a bomb.

Fullback is a difficult position. Garrick and Walker do not have the defensive qualities required and IMO Harper and Parker are not quick enough. That is our conundrum.
I know it was only a trial ,but when Harper played FB he looked ok ,and he is maybe not the fastest FB going around but he is energetic , can pass a ball and is a good defender.
Garrick has speed is an OK defender and ok under the high ball ,positionally a little weak sometimes, but zero ball playing ability IMO .
I'm not sure if that can be developed at this stage of his career .Harper seems to be able to put his man away and count numbers in defense and attack .So not going to score a length of the field try but probably quick enough in the legs and the head over 20 M .
Anyway heres hoping for 50-0 and no injuries and for the Rorters to be lapped by the vengeful Rabbids and cranky Cody Walker
Go Manly

Did Des mention Saab at one stage in pre-season as a possible replacement full-back? Still may need another year or 2 of NRL first, but he can cover the ground and also catch a bomb.

Hes a way off but Ive never seen him take more hit-ups than he did against the milkmen which was good to see

I dont think manlys problem is backup fullbacks, its that our structures don't come off without a gun fullback

Last edited:
Think we can all agree that Boyle, Gosiewski and Taufua haven't either had the opportunity or impact we need of them, and will likely go.

Sironen, Walker, Funa and DeLuis have had their chances with varying returns.

I'd keep DeLuis and Funa if they stay cheap, and ship Sirro if he sees himself as expensive still. As a cheaper option Sirro may have value for leadership/experience, but being so injury-riddled I wouldn't haggle too long.

Walker seems to have found a new role in the team and has that rare mix of utility and experience. Is he worth 400-500k to come in as a 14 when we have Lawton? Not convinced. If Walker accepts that the past few injury-riddled seasons have lowered his market rate and cops it, keep the guy for sure on a Foran-style Club Option with incentives. He is 26, and has time to work his way back into a more lucrative contract here or abroad.

If Suli leaves and we pay no freight we have potentially 500k+ to use wisely in upgrades, and to hopefully sign guys like Bullemore.

As for the backup fullback situation, our best option is to look to our youth for value - blood Koula or Weekes, maybe Tuipolotu. Alternative is to sign a centre/wing/half who has that utility and brings something the others (Funa/Garrrick/Walker/Harper) don't currently bring as backup FB. I can't think of anyone available or remotely within budget i'm afraid.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2