where would we be if....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Eagle said:
mosto said:
Time to put Hodo leaving into context. Manly would have kept him at a realistic salary, the Dogs offered an unrealistic salary which we were unwilling (wisely) to match.

If someone knocked on your door and offered you significantly more to do the same job you're doing now, with a different employer, most of us would take it. Now add in to the equation that you have 5-10 years max to earn the vast majority of your lifetime income, then I suggest all of us would and should take it. This is the business of professional sport.

To look at it another way, if he showed 'loyalty' and stayed with us, then suffered a career ending injury this year battling for our cause, would the club show the same 'loyalty' and pay him out what he would potentially have earnt during his career? Perhaps not.

We're better off with DCE, but I have no problems with Hodo as he put in 100% when he was with us and took an offer we weren't willing to match. As I say, that's the business.

Bull f**king s**t he did,once he got the dollars he was beyond woeful,he was more heartless than 2009 model T Rex,He is in the position he is now on the ladder off the back of Keating's work,which isnt great nor terrible,their coach should recognise this soon and go something along the lines of 6.Barba (No more need to learn to catch)7.Keating(number correction) and then give him the freedom to find a new contract, preferably with souffs or tigpies to ensure more missed finals in years to come

Dugs are bad, mmmkay

Kiwi Eagle said:
The Eagle said:
mosto said:
Time to put Hodo leaving into context. Manly would have kept him at a realistic salary, the Dogs offered an unrealistic salary which we were unwilling (wisely) to match.

If someone knocked on your door and offered you significantly more to do the same job you're doing now, with a different employer, most of us would take it. Now add in to the equation that you have 5-10 years max to earn the vast majority of your lifetime income, then I suggest all of us would and should take it. This is the business of professional sport.

To look at it another way, if he showed 'loyalty' and stayed with us, then suffered a career ending injury this year battling for our cause, would the club show the same 'loyalty' and pay him out what he would potentially have earnt during his career? Perhaps not.

We're better off with DCE, but I have no problems with Hodo as he put in 100% when he was with us and took an offer we weren't willing to match. As I say, that's the business.

Bull f**king s**t he did,once he got the dollars he was beyond woeful,he was more heartless than 2009 model T Rex,He is in the position he is now on the ladder off the back of Keating's work,which isnt great nor terrible,their coach should recognise this soon and go something along the lines of 6.Barba (No more need to learn to catch)7.Keating(number correction) and then give him the freedom to find a new contract, preferably with souffs or tigpies to ensure more missed finals in years to come

Dugs are bad, mmmkay

Only if they are taken as a suppository AKA Kiwi style

Kiwi Eagle said:
LOL @ the people who think he is useless

So he kicked a field goal, so what? That doesn't suddenly make him a good player. Sandow kicks lots of field goals and he is useless more often than he is not.

Funny, I read a story in today's Telecrap about Bullfrogs beating the slimy Eels and one of their supporters made a comment.

"Proud of the dogs and Hodkinson is worth every cent of the 270k we spent on him! Up the doggies!"

Yes, he did kick two FGs for us last year but at least someone (Dogs' Fan) is very happy of the money they spent!

270k ???? I'm tipping ole mate DCE will be on 300+ next contract and will deserve every cent.

The thing I'm interested in is Riccardi he has massive raps and will have the cherry blocking him. I wonder if there are plans in place to shift him to hooker like Melbourne did with smith before he got a start in first grade.

Lol. Played a part in putting the try on, kicked a 40/20 at a crucial time then chucked over 2 pressure field goals. Not bad for a bloke who cant play

Ralphie said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

So he kicked a field goal, so what? That doesn't suddenly make him a good player. Sandow kicks lots of field goals and he is useless more often than he is not.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Lol. Played a part in putting the try on, kicked a 40/20 at a crucial time then chucked over 2 pressure field goals. Not bad for a bloke who cant play

Ralphie said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Kiwi is on the money here, let go of the hate people. If that had been Cherry doing all of that there would be 10+ threads jerking over how great is he is right about now. Quality game from Hokko, deserves some respect for it even if he isn't a Sea Eagle.

His biggest attribute in my mind is how well he performs under pressure, that mofo is clutch.

Ok, so he has had his second good game since he joined the Dogs. Let's get rid of DCE and try and lure him back.

Hodko is a solid half back. When compared to the current crop of half backs he is above average. Plenty may think (me included) that $270K for an above average half back is not paying overs. From a Manly perspective I am very happy with the way our half back situation has evolved. Go Cherry bomb!

The opinions of some on this forum are always obscured by Manly goggles and should be ignored. It aint worth the effort.

Gorgeous George said:
Hodko is a solid half back. When compared to the current crop of half backs he is above average.

So which is he? Solid or above average? I'd say solid. He is definitely not above average. $270 is way overs for a solid player. I would choose any of the following before him: Thurston, Cronk, Prince, Pearce, Mullen, Maloney, Hornby, DCE, Moltzen, and even Sandow and Sam Williams. Townsend and Stig have been as impressive in their first half a dozen games as what Trent was last year. He has done well to get the contract he has got but there is no question Manly are far better off without him.

bones said:
Gorgeous George said:
Hodko is a solid half back. When compared to the current crop of half backs he is above average.

So which is he? Solid or above average? I'd say solid. He is definitely not above average. $270 is way overs for a solid player. I would choose any of the following before him: Thurston, Cronk, Prince, Pearce,Mullen, Maloney, Hornby, DCE, Moltzen, and even Sandow and Sam Williams. Townsend and Stig have been as impressive in their first half a dozen games as what Trent was last year. He has done well to get the contract he has got but there is no question Manly are far better off without him.

Dammit Ricky Stuart, we told you not to post here anymore!

In all seriousness though, the only halfbacks I would take over Hokko at this time would be Thurston, Cronk, Prince, Mullen & DCE. The rest all have massive flaws and/or don't have the upside that Hokko does. Sam Williams & Ryan Stig are intriguing prospects but certainly aren't as polished as Hokko is.

The Dogs need to put him in a better position to succeed, their forward pack has been woeful this year & he's not getting a lot of help from his outside men either. Put Hodkinson in a better situation & he will do better, he isn't at the stage of his development where he can take control of games & will his team on to victory.

Call a spade here- DCE is far better running the ball & has superior vision & attacking flare - also a better kicking game tho Hog seems to nail the fg's under pressure & tackles harder. Maybe if Hog was better in attack the pups would not have needed those fg's & he would have found more space for his runners to score 4 pointers. Hog is ok & potentially good while DCE is very good & a potential champion.

MK Eagle said:
Call a spade here- DCE is far better running the ball & has superior vision & attacking flare - also a better kicking game tho Hog seems to nail the fg's under pressure & tackles harder. Maybe if Hog was better in attack the pups would not have needed those fg's & he would have found more space for his runners to score 4 pointers. Hog is ok & potentially good while DCE is very good & a potential champion.

They actually commented on either the footy show or NRL on fox that DCE has turned out to be better then Hodko for Manly.

At any stage in his career Ox was a better player than hog ever will be,he can kick fg's and tackle,his calling is bemch back row aka lol

bones said:
Gorgeous George said:

So which is he? Solid or above average? I'd say solid. He is definitely not above average. $270 is way overs for a solid player. I would choose any of the following before him: Thurston, Cronk, Prince, Pearce, Mullen, Maloney, Hornby, DCE, Moltzen, and even Sandow and Sam Williams. Townsend and Stig have been as impressive in their first half a dozen games as what Trent was last year. He has done well to get the contract he has got but there is no question Manly are far better off without him.
Like I said he is solid. When compared to the current bunch, however, he is above average (IMO). I don't know any other way to put it.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6