Where to from here ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
I really have no idea tbh

At the moment we have a backline who can't score points, or defend consistently enough to stop leaking them as well. Part of that is through injury and inexperience, and partly though poor game plan, or lack of basic skills and communication

How much will Stewart fix this ? He will have an impact, but at this stage I can't really see it as being as big as most of us have been making out. Our sets plays are being run at half pace, and more often than not when in attacking zones we only use 2 options, Ballin to a forward, or Orford trying to maunfacture a kick or a run.

1 of the most frustrating parts for me as well, is that we are only attacking 1 side of the field, and it is entirely predictable, Ball goes to Stewart, someone doubles around him, and we end up cramped against the sideline. Why not hit the other side for once ? Watmough is a big weapon out there that is simply being ignored

I am not completely annoyed, because all week I never thought we would win this, and at halftime I had already confirmed that. A backline of Robertson, Bani, Bailey, Neumann, Williams, Stewart and Orford will not win you NRL matches, Matai was a bigger blow today than usual when he went off

Of much concern to me is the lack of enthusiam. I was tempted to use effort, but that would be a bit harsh because that is there. Apart from a select few, the runs look at half pace. The select few I would point out are Wolfman, Matai, Rodney and Orford when he takes the line on. The scariest part of that whole equation, I have not listed 1 run on forward amongst those running the ball at full noise. Watmough, King and Hall would be the closest, but the likes of Kite, Perry and Stewart are not doing so. Cuthbo has the previous weeks but wasn't today

Orford. Much maligned, and I bet the site will be full of topics hammering him this week. I won't fully partake in those, because simply, I can see him busting his arse out there. His execution is average at best at the moment, but he is trying damn hard, maybe to the point where he is over trying. Also not easy when he can't hold anyone beside him, with Bailey not getting through a full game at 6 in the past 3 weeks which is also frustrating

How to fix it ?

I really don't know. maybe give Matai a new role this week, as forwards coach, as he can teach them how to run the ball with some effort and passion.
Game plan must be very, very basic. Forwards run the ball hard, tackle hard, and give us some room for the backs to work with on tackles 4 and 5. No passes pushed, and play percentage footy. It may be boring, but the grind is simply our only option at this stage, with Stewart, Lyon and possibly Matai missing next weekend. Most importantly in that plan is to get Glenn Stewart hitting the line, he is at his best when the opposition don't know what he will do, and at the moment he is doing nothing more than ball playing, and also get the ball to Watmough more as well, especially with him hitting it at pace

Most importantly, Des has to find a way to get the boys to keep their heads up, because they dropped damn quickly today.

Agree with the fact they need to go back to the grind, don't agree with the Orford comment I do think he tries I just don't think he's a topline 1/2 without someone with Lyon / Scott Hill picking up his short comings.

The sad thing is we have no one to replace Bailey with.
Lyon- Injured
Foran - Only 18 i doubt Des will use him until hes 20.

Bailey hasn't had at all. v Warriors off injured, and has played the majority of the last 2 matches at centre. He is the least of our problems, if he gets a decent run at 6 he will be more than adequate

Also, I know Neumann will get hammered on here again today. He was far from our worst performer today. The Sau try was his fault, but the Taia one was just a well worked play and he could not have stopped that in any way, and I know he will get the blame on here for it. He was on his man, and by the time he came in it was too late, but if he left earlier, than Rogers would have skipped it around the back and Bani was left 2 on 1. No win situation for Neumann there

Bailey may not have had much time at 5/8 but he has not shown much attacking flair at all.  Orford needs someone to assist as he can not do it all on his own.  Our season is not over yet but we MUST win next weekend and Orford needs a foil.  However our forwards must rise to the challenge before we are any chance of our backs doing anything.  I can not understand why they are playing so poor, our pack is all class. 

Apart from the Warriors game, (where Lyons individual brilliance got us points) we have struggled to score points.
Bailey is 26 there is a reason he has only played a handful of games.

first thing des needs to do is fly kennedy down for the week and get him in their ears

We have a first grade team?

I love the Toyota Cup team! They're going great!  ;D

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Bailey hasn't had at all. v Warriors off injured, and has played the majority of the last 2 matches at centre. He is the least of our problems, if he gets a decent run at 6 he will be more than adequate

Also, I know Neumann will get hammered on here again today. He was far from our worst performer today. The Sau try was his fault, but the Taia one was just a well worked play and he could not have stopped that in any way, and I know he will get the blame on here for it. He was on his man, and by the time he came in it was too late, but if he left earlier, than Rogers would have skipped it around the back and Bani was left 2 on 1. No win situation for Neumann there

I blame him because everytime he has to make a decision he makes the wrong one. Sure if that second one you mentioned was his only transgression that would be fine - but as its just another in a pattern of incompetence..... honestly there has to be someone who can defend better than him.

Where to from here? Forward! Jeez this season hurts so far. It's hard to be the eternal optimist in these conditions. Forget Grandfinals and even top eights at the moment. Let's just win a bloody game.
Locals, please get out to Brookie next week and make a lot of noise.
If there's any chance of a comeback this year the fans have to motivate the team.

ads link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=179986.msg217478#msg217478 date=1238915267]

I blame him because everytime he has to make a decision he makes the wrong one. Sure if that second one you mentioned was his only transgression that would be fine - but as its just another in a pattern of incompetence..... honestly there has to be someone who can defend better than him.
[/quote]

He is defending the hardest spot on the park, and if every decision he made was wrong, then they would have scored at least 4-5 tries through him, he has only 1 real blemish today and they ran the traffic at his side all day

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=ads link=topic=179986.msg217490#msg217490 date=1238916086]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=179986.msg217478#msg217478 date=1238915267]

[/quote]

He is defending the hardest spot on the park, and if every decision he made was wrong, then they would have scored at least 4-5 tries through him, he has only 1 real blemish today and they ran the traffic at his side all day
[/quote]

I still don't think he's good enough. I said that last year (not sure if online though) when he filled in for a couple and I'll say it again. He's not good enough - he's had his chances and proved it. Send him back down and don't bring him back until he ups his game a level in the reserves (or whatever it is) - if he doesn't... well he can go to Parra or someone and lose them games.

I agree though that he didn't lose us this game.... last week I think he has a fair bit of the blame though.

All is not lost yet, fellas. I won't be worried unless we lose this week with the return of Brett. Easter Sunday resurrection lads! The return of our saviour!

Zeb Taia will be wishing he played Neumann every week. It's a tough position to play, but it is supposed to be his best spot, so if that is the best defensive reads he can come up with then "thanks for your efforts but let the door hit your arse on the way out."

If I see another disjointed Manly attacking set end in a pathetic half dribbled Orford grubber again I will scream. Seriously pathetic stuff today.

I really can't see any positives out of today, we got out enthused and out played. Hopefully getting Lyon and Stewart back will add something to our attack, because it is devoid of any spark at the moment.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6