What will turn Manly from a good side into a great side

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Solid defence. We conceded on the edge and up the middle yesterday. We are one quality forward and one centre short. Our recruitment needs to be smart.

The Saab try was DCE to Brooks to Saab on the right. So we are experimenting with that. Would love to see more of it.
Was at the game (thanks dowdz) but that try was up the other end from where we were sitting, just got home, not a game I really want to rewatch, but I will after todays games, very different live compared to the Tele, as you‘d know.
Interesting reading through some of the post about the game, could comment on a few and might or might not after I rewatch it. I didn’t pick up on that play at the ground, mind you we were surrounded by some pretty pissed idiots, that made staying with the game difficult at times.

Was at the game (thanks dowdz) but that try was up the other end from where we were sitting, just got home, not a game I really want to rewatch, but I will after todays games, very different live compared to the Tele, as you‘d know.
Interesting reading through some of the post about the game, could comment on a few and might or might not after I rewatch it. I didn’t pick up on that play at the ground, mind you we were surrounded by some pretty pissed idiots, that made staying with the game difficult at times.
Yeah I always rewatch a game after being at the ground. Half the time it feels like I've never seen it before other than a general vibe.

Game Management is another.

In truth that and resilience all probably go hand in hand with improving that defence.

Get the defence right and blokes will have more confidence, be calmer on field and play to a plan. It just all still looks like helter skelter headless chook stuff of low percentage all or nothing plays ATM when the score line is in the balance.

We are giving the opposition too many opportunities to win a game of footy right now.

You only have to watch last night's match between Penrith and Cowboys.

Penrith defence was unbelievable. They do it 9 out of every 10 weeks. Their systems are just incredible.

Always go up in a straight line and fast.
Always have 3 in the tackle, then extremely fast to be back in the D line
Always do the 1 percenters and back each other up.

Contrast that to Manly.

We are good, but have zero hope at this point in winning the 2024 premiership.

Penrith defence was unbelievable. They do it 9 out of every 10 weeks. Their systems are just incredible.

Contrast that to Manly.

The thing that really makes their defence is as you say dominating 95% of the rucks, coupled with markers and A defenders working incredibly hard to push across and help out their 4 man (usually the edge BR) any time the opposition goes wide.

As a result their outside backs decision making is made much easier. They have good defenders out wide but they are made to look god tier by the work done by their middles. This is the number 1 thing we need to improve to address our own edge defence.

Contrast that to Manly.

Didn’t watch the game but didn’t they have 20 points scorer against them.

I think this team could be close but we need to reign in the freeflowing “play what you see“ to a degree or at least learn to temper some instincts

limiting costly errors, setting a higher standard overall on team discipline

our kick chase could be, but isnt the weapon it could be. For years the team struggles to be in sync when the chez kicks early

its a good tactic, he strikes it well but the team just doesn't respond well. Gotta fix that we could terrorise teams turning forwards around

I love DCE at Man.

But he's also the biggest piece that needs to change for mine.

Almost every game this year has been a brain explosion wrong option, just too attacking at the clutch time of the game.

A short kick near our line against the roosters.

Against parra throwing the ball to no one over the sidelines against 12 men without 10 or 15 to go.

Don't get me started with his defence on the troublesome right edge.

My biggest issue with DCE is he appears unwilling to learn from mistakes. Game manage a little more unless origin greats are tempering him.

Didn’t watch the game but didn’t they have 20 points scorer against them.

Riff let in 3 2nd half tries.
Cowboys had enough possession 70% in the 2nd half to score another 6 tries,which Penrith stopped.

Manly in the same position, would have conceded 40+. That is the point.

I love DCE at Man.

Almost every game this year has been a brain explosion wrong option, just too attacking at the clutch time of the game.

Against parra throwing the ball to no one over the sidelines against 12 men without 10 or 15 to go.

My biggest issue with DCE is he appears unwilling to learn from mistakes. Game manage a little more unless origin greats are tempering him.

Remember, DCE may make attacking mistakes, but he has single handily won the last two games for Manly.

I love DCE at Man.

That pass into touch was actually on Talau not being where he was supposed to be. It's a set play, exactly the same as the pass he threw to Saab on the other side for the Turbo try. If Talau is in position it's a certain try.

That pass into touch was actually on Talau not being where he was supposed to be. It's a set play, exactly the same as the pass he threw to Saab on the other side for the Turbo try. If Talau is in position it's a certain try.
Is the greater sin to hand over possession at that moment?

Is a quick look first, too much to ask?

More mobility and sharpness in our forward line up that can up the tempo of the game both in attack and defence, more first man plays with variety and straightness along with more movement off the ball and as the ball is passed to create openings.

More attacking variety through the middle and reduce the over played second man spreads unless used to generate go forward variety or a way to move the opposing defence around.

Try and limit the use of under plays as they are often a sign of poor attacking structures, lacking ideas and variety of movement off the ball.

Not having Foran or Schuster now means we lack quality ballplaying ability on both sides so it is more important to find some sharpness out of dummy half to compress the defensive line more where previously it was more important to get crisp early ball delivery to our edges. This is why i was a fan of Danny Levi for his quality crisp direct passes off the ground(when we had ballplaying options) given time other elements of his game would of improved in the right team performance environment and the money saved could of been invested in other positions to bolster our ranks.

Just a starting point....

As many have said, has to be defence.

We have plenty of points in us, we can score 30 on most days. But we always look fragile defensively.

There is definitely a stronger mental attitude this year which I like, last year certain games we would have folded badly.

Garrick........I was prepared to give him some time, but what worries me more than his actual defence play etc is his constant whingeing. There are times he is slowing down the play of the ball terribly because he is carrying on at the ref, when the defensive line of the opposition is struggling and a quick play of the ball would have them in danger.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8