What was different ... observations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Is it too early to see a change in style ? ... just a couple of observations ..

1) Our forwards played far more direct in the middle ... without a Jake or Walker running behind the line going to first receiver and playing wide every second play. ... hope this continues ..

2) Less is better ... Johns didn't overplay his hand and was simply happy to get early ball to the edge. ... much better ... I hope this was by instruction and not specific to Johns. If I and others have noted it ... I am certain Seibs and Flannigan and hopefully DCE also noted it

3) Note to Turbo ... we have attack weapons on both sides of the park ... and they have shown what they are capable of ... you don't need to get your hands on the ball 4 times out of every six ... play smarter and let your team mates do their jobs .

Did any other changes stand out to anyone ? Structure, patterns Défence ?

In defence we seemed to have more players in tackles consistently and getting back to the d line quicker than last year.

You could see the combinations between Schu, Weekes, Gordon, Fainu and Koala from their jnr days. Good for the future.

Support play in the first half was good.

Garrick still doesn’t dive low enough when scoring tries - how he butchered that first try to get bundled over the line I will never know.

In defence we seemed to have more players in tackles consistently and getting back to the d line quicker than last year.

You could see the combinations between Schu, Weekes, Gordon, Fainu and Koala from their jnr days. Good for the future.

Support play in the first half was good.

Garrick still doesn’t dive low enough when scoring tries - how he butchered that first try to get bundled over the line I will never know.
Put that one down to lack of form ,early season.
He actually killed it last year for finishing ,that 2nd year he was here was brutal though !

What I saw last night was a team not curtailed by a coach who wants a game played in a specific way , and only his way.

All you Des lovers , if this doesn’t show you he was “ past it “ then nothing will.

Oh , and don’t take this is disrespect for what he did from 2005-2011 , but that’s 15-20 years ago , and that’s my point !!

Felt like there was a lot less of those nothing plays / hitups and as mentioned the crabbing runs disappeared. Nearly all runs had intent (ex-jesus) and looking to break through and or players getting to their knees for quick play the balls.
Dummy half getting out and past markers or engaging before distributing makes such a difference in my opinion.
Defence was better organised all round.

I was at the game last week and watching on the lounge yesterday.

I quite like our changes and the young guys coming up to 1st grade.

My one observation, that I’m not happy with, is our right side defence; Tippytoes still gets caught out and, to me, takes the wrong options, and I’m hoping that when Chez returns it gets sorted out but he can cause a few problems as well.

Oh well, perhaps Siebs can sort it out; then we’ll definitely have a top 8 team.

Is it too early to see a change in style ? ... just a couple of observations ..

1) Our forwards played far more direct in the middle ... without a Jake or Walker running behind the line going to first receiver and playing wide every second play. ... hope this continues ..

2) Less is better ... Johns didn't overplay his hand and was simply happy to get early ball to the edge. ... much better ... I hope this was by instruction and not specific to Johns. If I and others have noted it ... I am certain Seibs and Flannigan and hopefully DCE also noted it

3) Note to Turbo ... we have attack weapons on both sides of the park ... and they have shown what they are capable of ... you don't need to get your hands on the ball 4 times out of every six ... play smarter and let your team mates do their jobs .

Did any other changes stand out to anyone ? Structure, patterns Défence ?
Think Manly may have some problems with outside backs depth. Both Parker and harper seemed to be slow as also did Vaega. Would not be surprised if Myers gets a run sooner rather than later. Although only 19 that is the same age as Suailii and Koula (last year). And what happens if and when Koula gets injured?? Thankfully Weekes is emerging as a star.

Paseka is uncoacheable. Not even an off season with new coaches can change his mindset or ability going in the right direction.

Tippytoes and Harper's defence remain terrible and Reuben got better as the game went on.

Scorpio still leading with the head which has a used by date. I hope he is having a big steak meal today to get that lost iron back with the the amount of claret he spilt last night.

Everyone else seemed to improve noticeably.

Belief in each other was really obvious and extremely major compared to last year's version.

A couple of times I saw us ‘wrestle’ the ball carrier onto their back. I was shocked so had to rewind to confirm what I saw. So that was good.

I’m still concerned about our defence though. I thought Easts made easy metres up the middle too often and they were able to create many overlaps but just couldn’t execute the play due to some excellent defence and their own rustiness. Line speed and contact need to improve substantially.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4