What made you a Manly Supporter?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Growing up in Forestville & with my Dad being a Manly supporter I wasn't born I was hatched! :D

Grew up in Cromer. My parents weren't big league fans though they did both support Manly (they grew up in Manly Vale and Queenscliff) but my grandfather was a bit of a sports nut and despite growing up in Footscray and being a Bulldogs supporter, when he moved to Manly he became a huge Manly fan. He was the kind of person that would stop blokes like Fatty at the shops for a chat and he was always telling me stories about the old Manly blokes that he'd met. Also, the Manly physio at the time was a family friend so I used to go into the sheds after home games and had masses of signed memorabilia from the late 80s/early 90s. Unfortunately all of it seems to have dissapeared over the years except for a Manly supporter footy signed by the '91 squad.

Bob Fulton. I still remember listening to the 1973 Grand final on my portable transistor radio in my room and from them then on I never looked back.

Alas.. In 72/73, admittedly, I was in a dilemma between going for the Bears or the Eagles as I lived on the upper North Shore at the time.

Choosing to support Manly is one of the best decisions I have ever made. They have repaid me "big time" by giving me 7 premierships in my life time of supporting the great game of Rugby league. No doubt I have been blessed. :)

My Dad supported them from their entry into the comp in 47 and it was just a natural progression, now my sons and grandsons are Manly supporters.

Born in Manly hospital. Grew up in Primrose Ave, Frenchs Forest and had a mis-spent youth hanging out at Anndale Shopping Centre. Sunday arvo's spent at Brookie under the scoreboard watching Eadie, Krilich and Gibbs and then my then fav player Phil Blake.
All our family and extended family goes for Manly. No exception. Just the way it is and wouldn't have it any other way. :)

1. '87 Premiership win
2. Crusher Cleal's beard and running/tackling abilities
3. Michael O'Connor's snoz and kicking/try scoring abilities

Mals said:
Growing up in Forestville & with my Dad being a Manly supporter I wasn't born I was hatched! :D

Where abouts Mals? After moving from Primrose Ave we moved into 16 Virginia Pl, Forestville. That would have been approx 1983ish I think.

I had grandparents living at Queenscliff and when I came to Sydney from out north west I would convince my mum to let me go to a game at Brookie... the first one was in 1965. I live in THE SHIRE now but always a Manly fan. My Mum and son are all strong supporters and we all went to the GF together ..a great day. First fav player was Bob Batty. then followed Fulton his whole career

After watching the 1978 Grand Finals and the demolition of Cronulla by the one and only Graham 'Wombat' Eadie in the replay. He was a wrecking ball.

Also, I remember the number of finals hey had to play in such a small amount of time and the number of injuries the team was carrying I thought was pretty awesome and tough achivement.

AND I have never looked back.

All the kids at School had Parra parkers from fosseys and i asked mum to get me one , luckily they were sold out and only had Manly left . Dodged a bullet that day . Within a few months i had the jersey shorts and socks

Born in Manly hospital 1982. Mums family were all Manly supporters, Dads family was all Norths. Mum won that argument and I've been a Eagles supporter now for 30 years. I've always been decked out in the maroon and white, and have owned just about every jersey since the 80's. In the early 90's my pop needed a live in carer and a NZ woman by the name of Sally Ridge moved in. To a young tragic Manly fan, this was better than any Christmas and sure it enough it was Mathews mum and I managed to get a couple of jerseys including a match worn #1 and a signed footy by the whole team.

kurri eagle said:
All the kids at School had Parra parkers from fosseys and i asked mum to get me one , luckily they were sold out and only had Manly left . Dodged a bullet that day . Within a few months i had the jersey shorts and socks

I have a similar story in a way.

I was holiday in country NSW as a young fella and wanted a league jersey. At that stage I didn't have a team, but I had saved my pocket money to get one.

The girl in the shop tried selling me a Parra jersey as they had just won their third flag in a row (as an 11 yo from Vic, I didn't realise at the time that Manly had been the victims). Luckily I decided to keep my money in my pocket, and managed to dodge that bullet.

Thankfully, about 2 years later, whilst watching the late night league replays, I decided Manly was the team for me. The definite reason has been lost in time, but I think the colours got me.

Born in manly hospital, lived at Manly Vale, father and Grandfather mad Manly fans, Fulton, Eadie, Randall were all my heros growing up - 8 premierships. What more can I say I was born to be Maroon and white

EagleRock40 said:
Born in Manly hospital 1982. Mums family were all Manly supporters, Dads family was all Norths. Mum won that argument and I've been a Eagles supporter now for 30 years. I've always been decked out in the maroon and white, and have owned just about every jersey since the 80's. In the early 90's my pop needed a live in carer and a NZ woman by the name of Sally Ridge moved in. To a young tragic Manly fan, this was better than any Christmas and sure it enough it was Mathews mum and I managed to get a couple of jerseys including a match worn #1 and a signed footy by the whole team.

Born Manly Hospital 1981 :)
Grew up in Harbord, near Freshwater High (Bennett Street) there wasn't a chance I would support anyone else

Favourite player was probably Snoz closely followed by Beaver

Always been the rebel & growing up in Cronulla - everyone hated Manly.
At the time I was curious why so much hostility against the Seaeagles. I watched them play & they were red hot with Les Boyd & Phil Blake carving up the opposition. I liked what I seen & on further investigation got to the nuts & bolts of why Cronulla people hated Manly - they had beaten them twice in the GF & were filthy jealous. I can honestly say since following rugby league have been a Seaeagle supporter since day 1 & through the good & bad times have never wavered - I dispise fairweather supporters & 1 thing I love about Manly - the supporters are united & loyal to the core.

Mals said:

I moved into the area when I was about 3 Dad didn't have a team at that point so he took me to my first game at brookie in what was the North Western tiered seating, I played for the Forrestville Ferrets for a couple of years and went to the 87 GF on the hoardings going crazy..... my mind was made up for me.

If I was to say a player it would have to be Beaver or 2v. I saw beaver playing in the local comp when he was about 14 and everyone was already talking about him.

BTW my boys minds have also been made up for them....

I saw the light when i saw a vision of God Bob Fulton, and his miracle tries for the Sea Eagles .

For me it was a no-brainer, I grew up on the Northern Beaches so there was no way I could not follow the Sea Eagles.

Fav player would have to be the mighty Cliffy Lyons. He was like magic in the way he could bamboozle the defence and somehow conjure something up from nothing.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6