What is our strongest team.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can't quite agree with that Ryan, certainly at the start of last season he was actually 1 of the blokes who looked like he may create something getting through the line, and always seemed to poke his head through with an arm free but with no support running off him

In regards to Bailey, I actually think he would make a good centre. He reminds me a bit of Scott Hill, both in the lines he runs and in the way he tries to step thru the defence. Particularly close to the try line.

We have bigger and heavier options at backrow and eventhough he can play 5/8 if necessary....he would be at least third in line behind Foran and Lyon.

For the record, my team would be; B.Stewart, T.Williams, Bailey, Lyon(C), D.Williams, Foran, Hodkinson, G.Stewart, Watmough, Rose, Perry, Ballin, King. Res. Kite, Cross, Rodney, Seu Seu.

Notes... Robertson / Matai, much like Orford, have been fantastic but are no longer the best options long term. They need to make way for the likes of Farrar, Whare and Hopoate.
Rose has the footwork to be more than just a front rower....and I'd look to use Seu Seu as more of a back rower with the option of replacing Ballin only if necessary.

Daddycool link said:
In regards to Bailey, I actually think he would make a good centre. He reminds me a bit of Scott Hill, both in the lines he runs and in the way he tries to step thru the defence. Particularly close to the try line.

We have bigger and heavier options at backrow and eventhough he can play 5/8 if necessary....he would be at least third in line behind Foran and Lyon.

For the record, my team would be; B.Stewart, T.Williams, Bailey, Lyon(C), D.Williams, Foran, Hodkinson, G.Stewart, Watmough, Rose, Perry, Ballin, King. Res. Kite, Cross, Rodney, Seu Seu.

Notes... Robertson / Matai, much like Orford, have been fantastic but are no longer the best options long term. They need to make way for the likes of Farrar, Whare and Hopoate.
Rose has the footwork to be more than just a front rower....and I'd look to use Seu Seu as more of a back rower with the option of replacing Ballin only if necessary.
Tony Williams may yet turn out to have huge potential, but at this stage I don't think he deserves a place in the team at the expense of Robertson.
Remember for the better part of last year Robbo played out of position and Tony Williams only cracked it for 11 first grade games.

Daddycool link said:

Interesting team, but not one I'd like to see running out onto Brookie. Bailey is not a centre, much like Scott Hill wasn't. The thought of dropping Matai for Bailey is laughable. As for dropping Robbo [arguably our most consistent performer over the last 3-4 years and one of the best finishers in the NRL] for She Rex.....well I don't really know what to say in response to that. Rose in the second row ? I don't think so Tim. He'd never get through the workrate for a start.

In the 2008 season, a number of players showed what I considered to be, the best form of their careers. I also thought that, I doubt whether they would be capable of reaching those heights again. The 2009 season confirmed those doubts to a large degree.

Robertson, Matai and Orford have been terrific for the club but in my opinion their best is behind them now and we would be better served with the others I mentioned.

Scott Hill wasn't a centre (You got that right), of course I never said he was. Bailey has good attacking skills with the ball in hand and is very strong in defense. He isn't suited to 5/8 because his first instinct is to run. A good 5/8 needs to keep his options open and play what's in front of him. I also think playing one spot further out would give him that bit of extra time/space to be more effective, compared to being nearer the centre of the field like this season.

Robertson showed this season he can ONLY be of any use on the wing. Matai is getting injured more and more often. At this point in their respective careers, when you weigh up their potential against that of the younger players and of course what they'd cost to re-sign....their time has come.

Tony Williams had a injury plagued pre-season and was both low on fitness and confidence. With a good one this year I'm expecting much better things from him next season.

As for Rose not having the workrate to start in the back row.....well, I think given the opportunity he could surprise a lot of people (I never said he would play the full 80mins, that's why Rodney and Seu Seu are on the bench). Anyway, it wasn't long ago that Fui Fui Moi Moi was also considered only a bench player and look what he did with a starting spot.

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts. I got confused when you said Bailey was like Scott Hill and then went on to say he should play centre. Like Scott Hill, Bailey is not a centre, doesn't have the speed to be of any use in that position, nor the footwork to stand up opponents. Don't get me wrong, I rate Bailey, but for mine he has to be used in the backrow in a second receiver type role, where his hands and his ability to poke through the line and offload are most useful. Similar to Glenn Stewart in a way. Matai is an international centre, and in my opinion hasn't reached his full potential yet because of being hampered by injury. He deserves another season to prove his worth, and hopefully 2010 he will be injury free, if not then I agree it may be time to look elsewhere because we can't carry him for too long. But Chris Bailey isn't the answer.

I don't understand the logic of dropping Robbo because he is ONLY any good on the wing. He is streets ahead of Iro Williams in terms of consistency and value to the team. It must have been tough deputising for Snake this year and he was always on a hiding to nothing trying to fill those boots, but towards the end of the season he was making a reasonable fist of it. I certainly didn't see too many other options  being explored by the coaching staff, so you can't crucify Robbo for doing what was asked of him in an unfamiliar position. Anyway using your logic we should cut Perry and King, they are only useful in one position, had poor 2009 seasons and aren't getting any younger.

I agree, Rose might surprise a lot of people if given a go at back row. I also might win Powerball. However the chances, unlike George himself, are pretty slim. I've got no problems with him being given a starting berth, but it has to be in the front row.

With C&C on this one

Robbo is still only around 25-26 and since coming to the club has been 1 of the most reliable players we have in the squad. He is still fantastic value for money imo

Matai again is around the same age, and an international centre, and he should continue to improve over the next few years, he has all the skills required, all that is really lacking is a touch of pace.

A lot gets made of Matai's injury probs, but here is an interesting stat to look at in terms of that

Manly 2009 Minutes Played

Orford 2000
Robertson 1991
G Stewart 1827
Watmough 1824
Matai 1632

Appareared in 22 of a possible 25 matches

There is a lot more lacking in Matai's game than pace. He takes he wrong option and thinks he is a ball playing half rather than a centre. If he stops making catastrophic mistakes in attack and just plays his game he is good, but he did so many stupid things this year

Matai plays with passion and aggression, two of my favourite qualities in any player but I can't help but wonder if his chronic neck injury has taken some of the edge of his game.
As much as you could never deny any player the rewards of rep footy, I wish he hadn't gone on the four nations tour and just had the off season free to freshen up.

Even with Orford gone I think we still need go off load one player out of all the off contract players next season.  Matai could be the one due to injury etc especially with Hoppa Jnr, Whare, Farrar all capable or soon will be of filling the centre spot.

Anyway time will tell, Des/Crusher have a few big decisions coming up.

1. B Stewart. A given
2. M Robertson. Most consistent player when in his proper position
3. S Matai. Adds a lot and fills a gap that Farrah just wont. Farrah next in line
4. J Lyon. His best position and one of the best centres in the country
5. D Williams. Got better towards the end of this year but should be dropped if he still hasnt got his game back to 2008
6. K Foran. He is a 5/8 and 19. Does not have the organising skills/experience required to be a halfback
7. T Hodkinson. Best half we have at the club and is an organiser and decent kicker. Should be helped out in attack by Foran, Lyon, G Stewart, Bailey.
8. J Perry. Best used for short impact work rotated with Kite
9. M Ballin. Our No1 Hooker. Can go 80 minutes but his game suffers. Should be on the field for 50.
10. J King. More the worker than Perry, balances the props and allows a stagger in rotation with Rose.
11. A Watmough. Continue terrorising the left
12. G Stewart. Get back to the right and linking with Lyon
13. C Bailey. A good offseason in defence and you have a genuine lock. Roams the centre and chimes in when he sees opportunity

14. T Seu Sue. Can add spark and Ballin is a better player with a rest
15. B Kite. Comes on about 15 in to gain/retain the momentum
16. G Rose. Mr Impact. Dont expect much for the first 10 rounds as the big fella takes a while to get his match fitness up
17. J Gulavao/ S Rodney. With new halves their experience will be valuable.

What are peoples thoughts on Choc starting at lock as he did in Origin 3, where he had a blinder and was MOTM ? An option worth exploring or not ?

Perry
Ballin
King
Stewart
Rodney
Watmough

Rose
Kite
Bailey
Gulavao / Seu Seu

Could even start Kite in the second row and bench Rodney. Gulavao has covered prop before as well if I'm not mistaken, so that gives us plenty of flexibility in the forward rotation and could take some of the hit up load off Kite and give him some chance to find some form.

After Origin 3 I was up for having Des start Choc in the number 13, that way he could run crazy on the left, right and middle.  The defence could be a worry and being in the middle i guess you'd cop a fair battering.  But in saying that i can see why he'd stay on the left, when he makes a break and passes things get exciting!

1.  Brett Stewart
2.  Michael Robertson
3.  Steve Matai
4.  Jamie Lyon
5.  Dean Whare
6.  Keiran Foran
7.  Trent Hodkinson
8.  Brent Kite
9.  Matt Ballin (vc)
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart (c)

14. Terrence Seu Seu
15. Big George Rose
16. Phil Morwood
17. Chris Bailey

blitzkrieg link said:
1.  Brett Stewart
2.  Michael Robertson
3.  Steve Matai
4.  Jamie Lyon
5.  Dean Whare
6.  Keiran Foran
7.  Trent Hodkinson
8.  Brent Kite
9.  Matt Ballin (vc)
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart (c)

14. Terrence Seu Seu
15. Big George Rose
16. Phil Morwood
17. Chris Bailey
What happened to Jason King ?
I thought he was one of our leading props last year.

I quite like fluffy's side. Bailey at lock could work.

No way in this world will des throw in 2 rookies as our halves though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4