Weekes - need's Blacktown ASAP

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've only just seen the game and I'm going to be, what seems to be, the odd person out here. I just don't think he played as poorly as some are suggesting. I absolutely agree that he's not playing at the level we thought/wanted him to be playing at but he didn't do a lot wrong yesterday. He was pretty safe under the high ball except for the one where Best out jumped him. But even then, he did well to still grab hold of him and stop him from scoring. And I think it's a bit unfair to hold the last try against him. We've seen Saab do the same thing to FBs when he has a mile of room to run. The bloke is an athlete and was at full pace with a mile of room, so expecting Weekes to tackle him seems harsh.

Yes, his impact in the back line was minimal and there was that one run where he just didn't get the timing right with Shu. But rather than send him back to the Blackhole, I'd be keeping him in FG so that he might get more time working with Shu and the rest of the backline.

We're going to be without key players for a while, so give the kid the chance to get things going with the blokes that are there now. Apart from dropping Johns for Arthur, I just don't see any value at this point, in continuing to chop and change the team.
Once Origin is over, you would think that Arthur would bag the 14 bench spot ahead of Weeks.

I think the point you made about his timing in defence is pertinent. There was one sweeping block play we did about 20m out and he missed his cue entirely sweeping around behind the lead runner. Schuster went to pass it to him and he simply wasn't there. Schu had to hold the pass up and then float it across to make sure Weekes had enough time to run there. It was one small example of his timing being out. Further to that, in the second half when we started to make serious ground through the middle (big runs by Paseka, Keppie, Croker etc), he should have been punching through the middle on the back of those runs and a broken, retreating defensive line and making incisive metres and line breaks. Instead he was nowhere to be seen. That's the timing he still lacks - knowing where to be and when to be there.
i beleive its in your DNA from the beginning, you either have a footy brain or you dont, and the spine is a must to have a good footy head . ala Snake, he was always there in support from the beginning to the end of his carreer ... i would hook these imposters as soon a i saw no improvement after half a dozen games.

I think it was Enis on the comentary that made a comment about him, he said he's not injecting himself into the game like the good FB's do and is just waiting for an opportunity to present itself and watching I agree 100%. He's doing the basics right but looks timid and is just trying to not stuff up. Needs to shake that off and get involved and he'll carve the opposition up, just doing the basics won't cut it.

I think it was Enis on the comentary that made a comment about him, he said he's not injecting himself into the game like the good FB's do and is just waiting for an opportunity to present itself and watching I agree 100%. He's doing the basics right but looks timid and is just trying to not stuff up. Needs to shake that off and get involved and he'll carve the opposition up, just doing the basics won't cut it.
That sounds fair. But booting him back to Blacktown (as some are suggesting) won't help him gel with THIS team. Seibs needs to get in his ear and give him the confidence to get involved more. Then we see what he's got. And if it just isn't working, then we just go back to Garrick and bring in a winger. But I think he deserves at least another run.

That sounds fair. But booting him back to Blacktown (as some are suggesting) won't help him gel with THIS team. Seibs needs to get in his ear and give him the confidence to get involved more. Then we see what he's got. And if it just isn't working, then we just go back to Garrick and bring in a winger. But I think he deserves at least another run.
I don't disagree, infact I didn't say anything about putting him in reserves, was this comment meant for someone else?

I don't disagree, infact I didn't say anything about putting him in reserves, was this comment meant for someone else?
No, no, not you. I have read some other posts suggesting (at least that's what I thought) that he needs to go back to Blacktown to get some confidence. Hmmmm, I guess the title of the thread would also suggest that. @:D

• 👍
Reactions: Ned
What makes anybody think Weekes' best position is fullback?
I would be surprised if he played there in the juniors. I'd be confident in assuming he'd have been a halfback or a five-eighth, but someone thought his progress would be blocked for a long time by DCE. I wouldn't persist with him at fullback, but I'd suggest he considers another position as he obviously has talent.

What makes anybody think Weekes' best position is fullback?
I would be surprised if he played there in the juniors. I'd be confident in assuming he'd have been a halfback or a five-eighth, but someone thought his progress would be blocked for a long time by DCE. I wouldn't persist with him at fullback, but I'd suggest he considers another position as he obviously has talent.
I thought he wanted to play there and that he was training there during the off season. But maybe I misread that.

Weekes is not the messiah, nor is he anywhere near a first grader.
Another total disappointment vs Newcastle.

He would be the absolute worst defender in the NRL if Copper Johns wasn't in our team.

He's young. He'll learn. He's not doing what he did in the juniors. Maybe confidence. People on here knocked Tom Wright. Now a Wallaby. Albert Hopoate now a permanent Raider's winger, just scored 3 tries in his last match and in the last four matches made 160, 129, 175 and 217 metres, and other than missed tackles in the Manly game, missed none on the other three games. Yet he was determined not first grade material. Yeh. I suggest some on here fail to understand that most players cant be instant champion. Weekes has the skill. Give him time to develop. No one the Messiah in League

He's young. He'll learn. He's not doing what he did in the juniors. Maybe confidence. People on here knocked Tom Wright. Now a Wallaby. Albert Hopoate now a permanent Raider's winger, just scored 3 tries in his last match and in the last four matches made 160, 129, 175 and 217 metres, and other than missed tackles in the Manly game, missed none on the other three games. Yet he was determined not first grade material. Yeh. I suggest some on here fail to understand that most players cant be instant champion. Weekes has the skill. Give him time to develop. No one the Messiah in League
I am not writing him off but he is not ready to be the starting FB as the role is too important in todays game and Garrick has demonstrated that he is better able to handle the pressure and make the reads at this point of their careers

I think Seibold did Weekes no favours playing him in 3 different positions.
I know he is not a hooker naturally but I thought he was being groomed into a Manase type role and I get that we had injuries and coach probs wanted to get lawnton into the side but it still would have made more sense to put Garrick at FB, start Vaega on wing, play lawnton as a bench forward and have Weekes as the utility… Arthurs drops out (given that Johns was Siebs preference)

I get that hindsight is 20/20 and I will be watching closely to see whether Siebs has ability to recognise when he has made a wrong call… as I said, I like the kid but surely nobody backs him up at FB in 2 weeks time based upon that performance?

I know he is not a hooker naturally but I thought he was being groomed into a Manase type role and I get that we had injuries and coach probs wanted to get lawnton into the side but it still would have made more sense to put Garrick at FB, start Vaega on wing, play lawnton as a bench forward and have Weekes as the utility… Arthurs drops out (given that Johns was Siebs preference)

I get that hindsight is 20/20 and I will be watching closely to see whether Siebs has ability to recognise when he has made a wrong call… as I said, I like the kid but surely nobody backs him up at FB in 2 weeks time based upon that performance?
Im curious to know if the successful utilities in the past mastered one position first then moved to the next or if they were tried and tested in a number of positions over a short span of games (ie Weekes)

I know Walker played everything but prop before he ended up there… 🤪🤣
He played 5/8 in the Souths Juniors then played a few games for Souths first grade at 5/8 then made the permanent switch to centre for Souths until he moved to Manly. Interesting.
Walker weighs 98kg, Weekes is 90kg. Does he need to bulk up more?

He played 5/8 in the Souths Juniors then played a few games for Souths first grade at 5/8 then made the permanent switch to centre for Souths until he moved to Manly. Interesting.
Walker weighs 98kg, Weekes is 90kg. Does he need to bulk up more?
Reece Walsh weighs 88kg but hits the defensive line like he is 100+kg…

It is tricky but more weight pretty much means more bulk and less pace - good for a hooker, bad for a FB… I think he just needs more time playing similar structures in lower grades…

Reece Walsh weighs 88kg but hits the defensive line like he is 100+kg…

It is tricky but more weight pretty much means more bulk and less pace - good for a hooker, bad for a FB… I think he just needs more time playing similar structures in lower grades…

Reece Walsh shows total commitment when putting his body on the line in defence and again when in attack.

Weekes doesn't.

We can all see when Turbo is at 70% vs 100% when we played Canberra.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4