We need an Ex Manly Player as Coach...simple

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As per my title thread. Manly coach has to be or have played with Manly prior. Its a damn shame that we couldn't get Cleary in as our coach. We need to get Des, Toovey, Cliffy , Menzies, Hoppa... even im getting desperate here.. Bring back Donny Singe as well.... We need people that have played for this badge and crest before. Until then I cant see us progressing
I always said this on this site but got ridicule for it, only a handful of posters got this right - Barrett had no business being at Manly. Now we have lost all that was built by former greats. I would even bring watmough back to coach. Nonwobdet why they all left. DCE. IS NOT THE PERSON HE ORETENDS TO BE.

Watch how long it’s going to take the Dogs to clean up his mess and tell me in a few years if it is or isn’t.

The back ended deals linger for years after they’re gone.

Every club uses back ended deals I agree it messes the cap up I'm just disagreeing that the hole we are in now is still Des's fault.

713557-huuuuugh-jaaackman.jpg

Coach Wolverine would get results.

Every club uses back ended deals I agree it messes the cap up I'm just disagreeing that the hole we are in now is still Des's fault.
Not all his fault by any means but the way he does them it takes a lot to clean up.

We need a Ben Kennedy-type leader who all players respect and want to follow. As great a player as Cherry is, he doesn't appear to have the charisma or respect of all the players to take his troops by the scruff of the neck and lead them into battle week in week out. Problem is there's no one in the current playing group who's capable of taking on the captaincy. It's a shame that former Manly greats aren't interested in coaching. Beaver would've been the ideal candidate but be prefers to ponce around on the Matty Johns show doing comedy skits with his headgear on and playing golf. I thought Max Krilich might've gone into coaching but has never shown any interest. Imagine if we had someone like him or Igor or Wombat interested in coaching or at least some advisory role. We need to reach out to some former greats to restore the culture because at the moment we're rooted.

I have the answer ,Anthony mundane is available, legend in his own lunch box, nothing he can't do, and he's a X st germ player...

We need a Ben Kennedy-type leader who all players respect and want to follow. As great a player as Cherry is, he doesn't appear to have the charisma or respect of all the players to take his troops by the scruff of the neck and lead them into battle week in week out. Problem is there's no one in the current playing group who's capable of taking on the captaincy. It's a shame that former Manly greats aren't interested in coaching. Beaver would've been the ideal candidate but be prefers to ponce around on the Matty Johns show doing comedy skits with his headgear on and playing golf. I thought Max Krilich might've gone into coaching but has never shown any interest. Imagine if we had someone like him or Igor or Wombat interested in coaching or at least some advisory role. We need to reach out to some former greats to restore the culture because at the moment we're rooted.
Matey, Randall and Krilich both had less than stellar stints as lower grade coaches.

In the latter case, Max’s reserve grade outfit didn’t win a game back in 1991.

We need a Ben Kennedy-type leader who all players respect and want to follow. As great a player as Cherry is, he doesn't appear to have the charisma or respect of all the players to take his troops by the scruff of the neck and lead them into battle week in week out.
Spot on - as I said in another thread, we need an enforcer like "BK" who wasn't afraid to put a rocket up the players when it was warranted.
At the moment I get so frustrated at the games watching the team behind the goal posts just standing around - DCE should be yelling at them and be true leader, not pussy-footing around @:mad:
The only potential captains in our current team imo are Jake and Thommo, but it looks like DCE has the captaincy sewn up.

What about the bloke who coached the Twenties last year?

Ex player coaches are currently sitting 1st - well done Mary!!!
then 11th, and 14th.

So 2nd to 13th (less 11) are all above us with outside coaches. Manly man as coach is sadly not the be all and end all solution.

After 7-8 years on these boards, not as much as a fair few of you I realise, I can say with clarity that there were many threads arguing 2V inherited a great team and was in fact a tactically poor coach.

AND many threads that pointed out that as a coach he lost the player group when he aligned with Qantum to not offer Gifty a contract.

2V was a man Manly fans could engage with and respect for his accomplishments on the park. He bled Maroon and White @ a time when footy was tribal and weeks were good and bad depending on wins or losses. That was the 90's and early 2000's, until the TV deals started making the news and players millionaires.

As 2014 showed, and still does today, we still have a game that relies on tribal commitment by fans, (memberships and ratings), but is no longer mandatory for the players. They are looking after their families, and of course "hope" to win games, but they more importantly "hope" to have their salaries increase.

Naturally there are some relics of that era (turbos are a good example), but outside of the exceptions the rule is now formefamily.

So to the coaching dilemma, I don't believe there is an ex Manly coach available that will manage us out of the mud we now find ourselves. Cleary is the only one that could have, not because he played for Manly, but because he is smart.

Des is at a point not dissimilar to what Matt Elliot was post Warriors, and 2V was never really cemented as true 1st grade coach (regardless of his win %) because he had for the most part a roster that was very talented and that bled for the colours and wins for many years prior.

IMHO we still need a tactically good coach that instills discipline, but with a support crew that reminds the team of the history and colours.

So to me Coach Madge, with head assistant Beaver, Forwards coach Brent Kite, Backs coach Cliffy, Strength and fitness coach Ballin, and a new position of Player Manager - David Wolfie Wolfman would be the perfect mix of outside technical skill and inside Manly history.

Sure plenty would disagree, but then again, I am only a sausage roll eating keyboard warrior.

Last edited:
'Matey, Randall and Krilich both had less than stellar stints as lower grade coaches.

In the latter case, Max’s reserve grade outfit didn’t win a game back in 1991.'

Well scratch them then. How about Zorba?

Look the way i see it they dont want to play for trent and or group got a division.
The completion rate and penalties is pathetic. Just not sure this group going to do a thing. Dce nfi on last tackle play either and he on a million wow.
My weekends are not going to be taken up watching effortless crap.

Watch how long it’s going to take the Dogs to clean up his mess and tell me in a few years if it is or isn’t.

The back ended deals linger for years after they’re gone.
What if we just have Des not manage the Salary Cap? Would you be ok with signing him then? I agree the him controlling the cap would be worrying although as long as he cant i'm more than happy to bring him back where he belongs

This is passion...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4