Watmough Unleashes On DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Who was the out of sorts player Choc referred to ? Wolfe? Someone to make way for Jorge

I will totally agree with one thing Choc said in that podcast and its in regards to the 2013 GF.....

We did lead 18-8 halfway through the second half following Matai's try and we should never have lost regardless of piss poor referee decisions that went against us. We lost the last 20 or so minutes of that game 18-0, we basically fell apart.

That game, like 1997.....hurts because they were two GF's we should never have lost.

I have never met DCE but had one encounter with Choc. I was lucky enough to sit in the dugout as guests of William Hill, for the Manly V Knights game in March 2013. Now I am a big bloke, built for comfort not speed and as my wife and I entered the dugout Watmough, Jamie Buhrer and a couple of other players were sitting in the back. Jamie Buhrer apologised if they were sitting in our seats, I replied that they were sweet as we had seats at the front, as I sat down I heard Watmough say "what fat c..t". I turned around and asked him to repeat what he had said to my face, he was about to reply when an official entered the area with a young kid and his family who were guests of Wolfie. I don't know who the official was but Choc got up and left. Jamie then apologised to my wife and I for Watmough's behaviour, my wife replied that Jamie had nothing to apologise for. Watmough and his big mouth spoiled what should have been a great day, a big win over the Knights and meeting the mighty Wombat post game couldn't compensate for his moronic actions.
I was hoping that you were the real Bill H. and that you had threatened to set Watmough’s shirt on fire with uppercuts if he didn’t apologise. At which point a telltale, smelly stain appeared on the crotch of his jeans.

Who was the out of sorts player Choc referred to ? Wolfe? Someone to make way for Jorge

He said Jorge Taufua should have played, but Jorge was actually in that side and in fact scored the first try of the game.

I think he meant Peta Hiku. If you remember, in most of the lead up games until the Semi Final, Snake was actually out injured and Hiku was killing it at fullback running around 200 or more metres per game, including a believe the clubs first grade record for a fullback with about 204 or something like that in one game which if memory serves was one of those low scoring games against the Chooks.

But, I can see why Tooves went with Wolf on the wing. In 2013, Wolf and Jorge were equal leading NRL try scorers with Penrith's Dave Simmons (they each crossed for 20). Sure Wolf was a bit down on confidence, especially under a high ball which was one of the Chooks major weapons with his opposite that day, Daniel Tupou. But it would have been a very big call for Tooves to drop the Wolfman, the season's leading try scorer, a premiership winger and an Origin and Test rep player, for Peta Hiku at that stage.

What bugs me is that he said Tooves lost a lot of respect for that decision to pick the Wolfman instead of Hiku. But like we keep hearing today with Barrett.....who runs the side, the coach or the players? Tooves took their advice and then for better or worse made his own call. In hindsight, the players were probably right, but hindsight is always a perfect thing and when it comes down to it, it wasn't their call. And who's to say Hiku would have been any better that night? Remember, Peta had only played on the wing because of injuries. Wolfman was a winger by trade.

While I 100% with Choc that we should never have lost that game, to me it just sounds like he is being a bit of a Monday morning halfback and is also (albeit understandably) just bitter that we lost.

Last edited:
It was a very interesting listen......but a couple of things stood out.

1) Choc has completely re-written history to suit himself
2) He's a complete and utter hypocrite
3) He has no idea about the politics of a football club
4) Self interest always wins out

First point 1) saying he didn't bag the club etc etc?? He hammered the club on his way out, said how he hated the club more than anyone. In that podcast he went on as though he did the right thing by the club and as others have said, he's no Brent Kite. he was very vocal and went on a like a complete knob.

Point 2) one thing to talk about taking less, but $50k when you've won the premiership......what half is going to accept that??? If he was taking $300k when he was worth $400k or something like that, you might say, yeh fair point Choc. But $50k isn't going to go far in an industry where you are 1 injury away from a career ender. And then he ups and leaves for a mountain of money....but loves the club so much??

Point 3) he's bagging Toovey about some of the board dealings. Toovey had to deal with the cards he was dealt. And that was a dysfunctional board. Sure Choc.....you would have handled this so well with your brand of tact.....wake up!

Point 4) I understand he was put out about the younger brigade being given favoritism....but that's life. A football club has to keep rolling the players over.

And why do we never hear from Toovey on any of this? See Toovey come out and bagging the white ant brigade?

Watmough cries about everything, throws everyone under the bus, and then says 'I don't want to bag anyone'....whilst bagging everyone.

One difference between Tooves and Watmouth.....class.

If anyone can be aggrieved about their treatment it's Tooves. A tougher bigger legend of the club (besides Fulton) you will not find. And he was treated like a piece of trash....Tooves walked away with dignity...bagged no-one.

That speaks volumes for me.

It was a very interesting listen......but a couple of things stood out.

1) Choc has completely re-written history to suit himself

That's the point and a lot of people tend to forget that (especially the dummies on FB). Its nothing more than the story according to Choc. That doesn't exactly make it the gospel truth, its just another version of the story.

There is probably a lot of truth to what he said in that podcast. But there are also some things that are a bit self serving.

Mate, you’re entitled to your opinion, I’m sure no amount of discussion will change it. Just bear in mind, DCE’s attitude to the media markedly changed after he was hounded off the beach, carrying one of his toddler daughters, during said contract negotiations (I’m near 100% it was Liam Cox shoving the microphone in his face after he’d repeatedly been asked to leave the family alone) I’m damn sure the guy has zero respect for the media, and with good reason.

And again - on the strip club thing? Without DCE’s wife coming out and saying she a) didn’t know about it, and b) has a problem with it, I don’t see the issue. Don’t automatically assume that women have a problem with their husbands/partners attending said establishments; I for one certainly don’t.
I'm sure in another life we would be perfect for each other ;)

Back ended contracts are like pay freezes in parliament.

All it means is that if you stick around long enough, you're still going to end up with the same amount of money, sometimes more, at the end of it. You're just taking a lower pay now to get a bigger pay day later.

The reality is that when it comes to the money, you're not really sacrificing anything because in the end you still get it all.

I personally I don't rate Hastings, but the way DCe poured **** on Hastings backed by his coach of all people, was and is a low act.
The media **** storm around that was crazy, but the persecution of Hastings that followed was just F.....Ken unbelievable .

Can you please let us know the **** DCE poured on Hastings, I can’t recall.
We’ve got paper talk that they had a dust up at training - which wasn’t DCEs fault apparently-and the drama at Gladstone but that is hardly publicly pouring **** **** on someone.
Barrett said the club had been trying to address issues with Hastings since pre-season and they dealt with it.
We don’t know the full story and probably never will but to heap the Hastings dramas squarely at DCE is drawing a long bow imo.

DCE is an overpaid, underperforming first grader. Manly wanted Foran but when he signed elsewhere, we sold the farm for DCE. Everything you mentioned above is in the job description. He’s a hired gun, that’s all.Qld Origin won’t even consider him. Five more years of him will finish us.
I agree that DCE is currently an overpaid, underperforming first grader.
But many circumstances led to this position. Foran held Manly to ransom. I remember a video of a conference with Penn looking towards Foz and saying, "We believe Kieran is a man of his word." Foz looking back, all confidence.
Then after DCE did the Titan's contract, Foz announces a few weeks later that he's off to Parra. The club was then in the position of having two of the current best halves in the comp and then suddenly none. DCE had been ready to accept the upgrade that was withdrawn so they could pursue the 'man of his word', Foz.
Foz went to join his mate Choc which seemed a very carefully planned way to screw the club.
Then the Club in panic mode offers Cherry a ridiculous contract and he backflips on Titans resulting in all Queenslanders hating him, constant media bashing, QLD origin rejection, and unfortunately constant Manly online criticism from many of the Manly fan base.
The club fkd up in chasing Foz who was a member of the clique and wanted out and then went into panic mode and offered Cherry almost twice the contract they withdrew.
And all this is Cherry's fault?

We all knew that DCE and Choc didn't get along anyway so is anyone really surprised that he threw him under the bus?

Watmough does not equal credibility, he must be short of dollars! Where did he take a pay cut - it was back ended. With the Hastings situation, the thing that I wonder about is that Hastings has never come out and said he has done nothing wrong. I fugure if you are innocent you would let us all know.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8