Watmough never again in a Manly jersey?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I still love Choc...I don't think it's been handled great, but I'll get over it, and I just look forward to the future. We have the next set of brothers coming through (Trbo's), Gutherson, and other fine young players. It's the inevitable happening at the moment; a changing of the guard.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
lsz said:
No anger here from me

Gutted we have lost him (if it is true- the tele have been wrong before) and gutted we lost Glenn

No anger from me either, disappointment that its come to this but also happy we have a conclusion.

I just feel sad that a player who started his life as a junior Sea Eagle has let politics get in the way, in my opinion he has been VERY badly managed by what appears to be a money hungry player manager.

I understand his need to "do the best by his family", but I think he, his manager and whoever else was in his ear was thinking of the short term and not the long term.

And just like grief at losing someone close to you after a period of time you get over it and move forward.

I really think Choc will sit down with his head in his hands in a year or two and say "what have I done".

EagleRock40

Reserve Grader
RE: Watmaugh - In the end, it was all about money

Merrin and Mason!
Mason on a 1 year deal to cover the front row and come off the bench.
Merrin to play lock and be a middle forward (its how he plays at the Dragons anyway)

Mavin

Bencher
Mark from Brisbane said:
lsz said:
No anger here from me

Gutted we have lost him (if it is true- the tele have been wrong before) and gutted we lost Glenn

I really think Choc will sit down with his head in his hands in a year or two and say "what have I done".

Yep Dale Shearer and Ron Gibbs spring to mind

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Can not blame him for taking the money

I have not been offended by how he has acted but can see how people could be

ManlyMit

Reserve Grader

I'll be sad to him go, but he was definitely the bad apple that spoiled the whole bunch. Better off without him.

Peter C

Bencher

Mark from Brisbane said:
Forget the $300k , sadly that's ours for next year.

The figure quoted is $670k, so the Eels would have to come up to that figure OR more for this to be only about money.

If say $750 was offered, and for four years , I can see,

1) why Manly wouldn't go near that
2) why he'd be mad not to go, IF, it's about the money

The sad thing for him is that he's trashed his legacy at the Sea Eagles, all for the mighty dollar.

I think he's had some VERY bad advice
At Parra now, he has four years of a definite contract, with Manly it would've only been three years, with uncertainty for the fourth year.
Not blaming him for securing his future, just all the sh#t that went along with all of this.

simon64

It's not a lie, if you believe it.
Premium Member
Tipping Member
panash said:
niccipops said:
I agree with @Kiwi Eagle . Though I'm incredibly disappointed that Choc is not going to finish his career as a Sea Eagle that doesn't change what he has done for us so far.
The huge pity in this whole thing is that if Choc had a great further 2 years for Manly. the club most likely would have offered him a 1 year contract for the next year.
I really wish some former Manly greats could have advised Choc on what he's throwing away.
Very sad IMO.

Nic I don't think anyone doubts what he did on the field all these years.

Unfortunately he will also be remembered
Carrying on like goose and causing a great dent in our season as his last days at manly.

Other players left in the past to continue their career elsewhere but never caused theses same problems. Or never bit the club that fed them.

I have to agree with panash on this one.

No-one begrudges Choc going if he thinks that's the best move for him and his family and you could never question he has put in 100% for many years as KE said.

But for.......sake leave with some dignity. Gift managed to do it. So did Beaver. The tantrums and the speculation have put a blot on a what would have been a great legacy.

I'm sure time will help....at least I'm hoping it will.

I think its important for all to remember that its okay for him to leave for better money if thats what he really wants. One cannot begrudge him that. We all want the best pay check in our jobs that we can possibly get. Thats an individual thing. But the manner in which he is going is more the issue that has left a stain on his fine career at Manly. The way he has conducted himself, lack of integrity etc.

MadMarcus

Toovey for NRL CEO
Thanks for giving us your best years Choc. I have no problem with you giving your worst and most expensive (or close to it) to Parra.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member

Since when is a contract secure...that's BS...He had 3 with us and if he had stayed, and performed, he would of got another....

Short memory on what this club has done for him and what they have made him

He has certainly lacked integrity this entire season...watch the door Choc

simon64

Premium Member
Tipping Member

Mark from Brisbane said:
swoop said:
Bye, Choc thanks for the memories, but I think you'll regret it in the long run.

Nailed it in one!!

I don't think he'll have to wait that long swoop.

Shoe1

Journey Man

Manly's retirement deal was generous and reflects what he deserved. Holding firm on a shorter contract shows why manly is a winning club. Parra's 4 year offer to a 31 year old shows why they struggle to make the top 10.

simon64

Premium Member
Tipping Member

Lord Eagleton said:
I think its important for all to remember that its okay for him to leave for better money if thats what he really wants. One cannot begrudge him that. We all want the best pay check in our jobs that we can possibly get. Thats an individual thing. But the manner in which he is going is more the issue that has left a stain on his fine career at Manly. The way he has conducted himself, lack of integrity etc.

Succinct and accurate. Nothing more to say.

SeaEagle21

Bencher
Premium Member
Hoping Parra have room in their cap to take him otherwise another season with Choc talking to the media directly again.

don't know why he didn't just announce he has agreed terms with the eels from 2016 onwards for 3 years, shut up and get onto business in Manly colours for 2015.

Gets his four yrs, keeps his dignity and would be held in high regard for being honest.

money isn't everything but lets face it you need it. If you can secure your future for 1 extra year then good on him as he deserves the security given the injuries he has had and played through.

always loved Choc and even though he has been shown in a bad light over the last few weeks it still doesn't undo the years of effort and memories he has provided the club and the fans.

southsideeagle

Reserve Grader
Premium Member

To stay up at near the top there has to be regeneration. How often do we see a valued player at the end of his playing life being paid too much? It must happen in 80% of cases. The trick is the balance in keeping them to maintain the harmony and moving them on to reduce costs. We probably got it right with Fulton and Vautin but maybe not with Menzies (maybe had another yr or 2 in him in NRL) and Kite (due to losing other players).

I can understand why we have to pay the $300,000 for next year as Watmaugh took less in years before.

I'm looking forward to us getting more fringe players and turning them into champs. I do not like the idea of trying to buy top line players at big bucks.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Contracts seem meaningless these days, get out clauses etc etc.

And all you have to do is say "I hate it here" in the media and you are out anyway.

Its BS really.

Vyssini

Reserve Grader

Shoe1 said:
Parra's 4 year offer to a 31 year old shows why they struggle to make the top 10.

Nonsense...they are going to win two premierships and be the biggest club in the universe by 2020!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16