Walker's role?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He's too good to be on the bench. Been debated to death, but he has to be in the 13 and I think unfortunately its to Brad Parker's centre position - tough call to make.

I'll be howled down for saying this, but his playing style is more like Jamie Lyon now - run, kick, pass, strength also to break the line. That flick pass tonight was so reminiscent of our great former captain. I am NOT saying he is as good a player by Jamie Lyon by any stretch -- but his game does now have some similarities. Not as good obviously in defence, but also probably a bit faster pacewise.
I disagree on this one.

It would be terrible to see Parker dropped for Walker. Maybe you don't notice the tough and straight carries the ginger man makes every week, or the multiple times you see him spinning around players legs when they threaten to break free.

This is not Walkers game, and we need players like Parker on one side and Harper on the other side to continue to do exactly what they are doing. Centres has seemed to evolve into that role of tough carries and strong defence. Centres now seems to be where breaks happen, but are not created. So defence is the key there these days. If a break is made, Parker and Harper are doing just fine passing the ball in attack, they don't need to initiate breaks themselves all the time.

That said, I don't think Walker is much of a prolific line breaker either, and I really didn't see a use from him until today. However, he was superb at reading the play today, and his passing game was first class. If he can play that role, the breaks will happen naturally whether by himself or others. That was really impressive today and I think this is his calling in the team.

NYEagle

I disagree on this one.

It would be terrible to see Parker dropped for Walker. Maybe you don't notice the tough and straight carries the ginger man makes every week, or the multiple times you see him spinning around players legs when they threaten to break free.

This is not Walkers game, and we need players like Parker on one side and Harper on the other side to continue to do exactly what they are doing. Centres has seemed to evolve into that role of tough carries and strong defence. Centres now seems to be where breaks happen, but are not created. So defence is the key there these days. If a break is made, Parker and Harper are doing just fine passing the ball in attack, they don't need to initiate breaks themselves all the time.

That said, I don't think Walker is much of a prolific line breaker either, and I really didn't see a use from him until today. However, he was superb at reading the play today, and his passing game was first class. If he can play that role, the breaks will happen naturally whether by himself or others. That was really impressive today and I think this is his calling in the team.

NYEagle
Parker runs a great decoy and rarely get called for obstruction. Barring injury or loss of form I can’t see Dez changing the centre pairing,

I disagree on this one.

NYEagle
I completely agree.

I said it before, but we have DCE, Foran, Turbo and Schu all creating. Scoring points will not be an issue but stopping points is and I think Parker is a better defender than Walker. As much as it pains me to say it, but if one of Harper or Parker has to make way for Dylan in the centres, it would be Parker no doubt.

The thing is, we have all lamented Fainu being unavailable given his creativity, but having both Dylan and Tommy play 'on the ball' was dynamite today. We may have just stumbled on the formula for the next premiership.

I wrote earlier in the week in another thread Manly by 30 & Walker MOM……wasn’t far off! I so hope Manly re-sign him.
He was great today.

How much would you re-sign him for?

I am perplexed by DW. Before his last two games, I was fine with not renewing his contract. But given his game last week and this week, and the specific role he has played, I may have to rethink my position (my views are firm but never fixed!).

I wrote earlier in the week in another thread Manly by 30 & Walker MOM……wasn’t far off! I so hope Manly re-sign him.
By the way, I was pretty close to trotting our a few "Yawn Zzzzzzzzzz"s in the game day thread today!

Look i don’t know where dylan stands, he’s quicker than parker, both are terrible in the air,tackling wise propably parker,stronger runner with the ball probably dylan.I’ll leave this to des.
I'm sure Des will be sad to learn that you are deferring your selection responsibility.

He was great today.
How much would you re-sign him for?

I am perplexed by DW. Before his last two games, I was fine with not renewing his contract. But given his game last week and this week, and the specific role he has played, I may have to rethink my position (my views are firm but never fixed!).
Mate I think he owes the club for standing by him. I’m pretty sure he knows his contact value will not be as per original. He did extend for less when Des came back & I think he deserves what he’s on now. Don’t think it’s an exorbitant amount. I feel if he can continue to improve his off field behaviour then his on field will get better & better! At the moment he’s playing his best footy since joining us. He also seems to be staying out of the limelight….. which is a good thing!

He was great today.

Mate I think he owes the club for standing by him. I’m pretty sure he knows his contact value will not be as per original. He did extend for less when Des came back & I think he deserves what he’s on now. Don’t think it’s an exorbitant amount. I feel if he can continue to improve his off field behaviour then his on field will get better & better! At the moment he’s playing his best footy since joining us. He also seems to be staying out of the limelight….. which is a good thing!
Given how much Des has supported him as a person, I think he will be happy to stay at fair value.

Fair value to be decided between now and the end of this year both on and off the field, as his body of work before that is best not incorporated.

NYEagle

Do we have any suggestions on what figure defines fair value for Walker at this stage? 250 K? $300 K? Are we looking at two years or one year with a club option for the second year?
I think Walker is a 400-500K a season player for us, he may get more on the open market if he keeps playing well though.

With the current rules Walker has played that middle roll very well and could be the answer for Jake moving to Prop.

Some of the responses here are really misguided. Walks played well today no doubt as did many others but we also scored 2 points shy of 50 in one half! You cannot grandstand about one players skill set based on a game like this. There is no way I’d be moving either Parker or Harper for Walker right now, rather keep him on the bench running on at 14. Did Dylan even make a tackle today? I’ll be honest I’ve never been a fan of this guy but he was great today (as were a heap of guys in the 2nd) and I’d like him to fill the 14 spot for now. There’s no way I’d be jumping to resign him yet tho. The sad reality is the game of league is in no way shape or form the game I grew up loving and as much as I enjoyed today, there was a side of me that actually hated what I was seeing. Why is it that I can’t be proud of us scoring 48pts in a half? The game is really broken and I’m not sure how it gets fixed. Well done on a good showing tho Dylan.

I think Walker is a 400-500K a season player for us, he may get more on the open market if he keeps playing well though.

With the current rules Walker has played that middle roll very well and could be the answer for Jake moving to Prop.

Isn't he on 400 K this season? I don't believe we should pay him that for next season. 300 K would seem fair value to me. Anything above that seems unrealistic. As does putting him into Jake's spot. His defence isn't up to it.

Isn't he on 400 K this season? I don't believe we should pay him that for next season. 300 K would seem fair value to me. Anything above that seems unrealistic. As does putting him into Jake's spot. His defence isn't up to it.
We did ok with the defence today, only two line breaks by the titans and both on the edges.

The middle 1/3 of the field we won convincingly against 3 origin representatives in Tino, Foutaika and Wallace.

My thought is under the current rules Walker can make the transition to the middle similar to how Yeo has done, a few Kgs to the frame and a good off season working on his defensive technique, the spark we need in the middle.

Hope he can get to the heights of his talents that we originally signed him for.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8