Walker back soon?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hiku had his moments but I'm loving our current crew. We will soon have a logjam of centres if Cust keeps the 6 jersey (which I wouldn't be against)...

Who are our best 2 centres?

Hamole [ Gucca ] or whatever has filled in at centre at Black Town on occasions , would have been good to see in the top grade and back row in some capacity this season but unfortunately no opportunity just yet . Recall that Parker was on the bench against the Panthers once and to even cover back row in 2017 [ i think ] but really would not expect him to be considered there even as a fill in any time soon .

Was never thrilled by Dylan's defense as a centre, that is the main issue I think.

Cust seems like he is warming to 5/8 but I am not convinced, yet. Doesn't help that most of the time the ball is still going to DCE on the last tackle.
Yep, his defence was suspect at centre, yet a lot better at 5/8. If he could kick like Cust he would a really good 5/8. Move him back to centre and you have genuine strike, but seems to struggle with defence reads at centre?

Hamole [ Gucca ] or whatever has filled in at centre at Black Town on occasions , would have been good to see in the top grade and back row in some capacity this season but unfortunately no opportunity just yet . Recall that Parker was on the bench against the Panthers once and to even cover back row in 2017 [ i think ] but really would not expect him to be considered there even as a fill in any time soon .
he would be the biggest centre of all time

he would be the biggest centre of all time
Yeah , big lad and bigger then Crusher no doubt but reckon that he still has heaps of potential and can be a strike player similar to Crusher for Manly in the not too distant future .

Yeah , big lad and bigger then Crusher no doubt but reckon that he still has heaps of potential and can be a strike player similar to Crusher for Manly in the not too distant future .
Alaku'Atu is definately not NRL centre material....a good young forward in relation to offloads and taking on the middle and edges.
Defensively his agility to turn and change lanes and speed in general, would have him destroyed by opposition back lines.
He has Massive potential though and still unclear of him not playing off the bench, has X factor in attack and his tackles can be bone rattlers....will get there eventually...hopefully at Manly.

Alaku'Atu is definately not NRL centre material....a good young forward in relation to offloads and taking on the middle and edges.
Defensively his agility to turn and change lanes and speed in general, would have him destroyed by opposition back lines.
He has Massive potential though and still unclear of him not playing off the bench, has X factor in attack and his tackles can be bone rattlers....will get there eventually...hopefully at Manly.
I would be pissed if manly let him slip away

Hank Scorpio may not offer much as an attacking centre, but damn if he hasn't turned into one of the best defensive centres in the past season and a half under Des.

What we do need though is attacking punch on our left. Parker doesn't offer a lot there as we know. He can score a try, but he's the type of centre who can more put a fast winger down the sideline than he is going to run the length himself. But right now with Jorge outside him we simply don't have that pacy winger on our left

In a perfect world we'd have centres who could tackle like Brad Parker and run with Russel Gartner like pace. Unfortunately its not a perfect world.
I think he has a great line-running ability. Coupled with ok passing I think with better ball and a potent winger next to him we'd see him as a very lyon-style centre. Has enough speed, a little bit on the weaker side but when he runs onto the ball at the angles he does he can often beat the defence anyways close to the line

Defence is great, and as far as centre attacking potential goes I think he is more suited than any of our backs at current

Keep Cust at six and put Walker in for Parker who is a great defender but Walker has him as a centre.
I get the feeling Parker is going through the process to become a better player.I would hate to see him in and out of his current position only to find out later that Walker gets injured again.I think we need to build Parker to a quality first grader.Its a must.I would hate to see Parker pushed aside on the bench.Walker can play when he wants too, no doubt,but Parker is more our future.Time will tell.

Why does Pita Hiku keep getting mentioned here as a "gun centre"?

Genuinely wouldnt have him in our current back 5 let alone our future back 5
Not a ‘gun centre’ but would take him over Jorge anyday and is also versatile. We don’t have a single versatile back bar maybe Walker whose injured... Hiku still manages to score tries at the warriors which I find impressive and think he would be a good signing on the coin he’s on as he would cover lots of options and actually provide some attack unlike Parker, Jorge etc

In saying this I am probably too harsh on Jorge as his runs out of our own end are crucial.. hard to find a winger strong with that but also in the air

Last edited:
Hank Scorpio may not offer much as an attacking centre, but damn if he hasn't turned into one of the best defensive centres in the past season and a half under Des.

What we do need though is attacking punch on our left. Parker doesn't offer a lot there as we know. He can score a try, but he's the type of centre who can more put a fast winger down the sideline than he is going to run the length himself. But right now with Jorge outside him we simply don't have that pacy winger on our left

In a perfect world we'd have centres who could tackle like Brad Parker and run with Russel Gartner like pace. Unfortunately its not a perfect world.
I agree and like Parker for these qualities but Des is one of the best defensive coaches probably ever... Parker is case in point. Was horrible defensively and now is a top defensive centre in the NRL - the key is here tho that he will never be a top centre. He doesnt have the attacking spark. In my opinion, blokes like Suli, Walker and probably Hoppa do have the attacking spark. Their defense and the structure can be somewhat coached, but their effective running game and speed can’t.

Love Parker but for this reason I just think in a team coached as well defensively like ours is we need to have more natural attackers if we are to go to that next level especially with 2/3 of our attacking weapons being seriously injury prone (Walker, Trbo)

Why does Pita Hiku keep getting mentioned here as a "gun centre"?

Genuinely wouldnt have him in our current back 5 let alone our future back 5

We'd certainly have time to set our attack every time he got tackled.

I've seen trees grow faster then the time he gets up to play the ball.

Mentioned it ages ago (when he was here) but gets tackled...looks at ref...throws arms out... scowls at ref....gets to knees...looks at ref...throws arms out again....yells 'what about a penalty ref?'...waits for answer....shakes head...gets to one knee...gives another inquiring look at the ref....shrugs...gets to feet...shakes head....plays the ball.

I get the feeling Parker is going through the process to become a better player.I would hate to see him in and out of his current position only to find out later that Walker gets injured again.I think we need to build Parker to a quality first grader.Its a must.I would hate to see Parker pushed aside on the bench.Walker can play when he wants too, no doubt,but Parker is more our future.Time will tell.
I think he is already a ‘quality first grader’. He represented Australia last year, not in full blown tests, but still an indicator that the selectors recognise his ability.

Wasn 't suggesting that Alaku / Atu [ good that you have included his official name ] has a future or attributes as a regular centre , just as possible utility value in the Thommo , Jet Ski mould . Back row of course and does have that bit of an explosive nature with his attack and if he can also show the endurance and toughness factor and defence required at N R L back row level , will prove a real asset for Manly . Was a bit quiet at the nines and may have limited opportunities this season but next year with Thommo leaving should be a different matter . Schuster " s time should come also of course but would expect Alaku / Atu to be in the mix in the forward line up as well .

Wasn 't suggesting that Alaku / Atu [ good that you have included his official name ] has a future or attributes as a regular centre , just as possible utility value in the Thommo , Jet Ski mould . Back row of course and does have that bit of an explosive nature with his attack and if he can also show the endurance and toughness factor and defence required at N R L back row level , will prove a real asset for Manly . Was a bit quiet at the nines and may have limited opportunities this season but next year with Thommo leaving should be a different matter . Schuster " s time should come also of course but would expect Alaku / Atu to be in the mix in the forward line up as well .
Guacamole is a talent mate, I think Choc was our last left edge backrower that came through the system to play rep footy as a left edge backrower.

From what I have seen of Guacamole he has the potential to achieve that.

Hopefully he gets first crack when Thomo goes or through injury.

Couldn't agree more mate, I'd have him off the pine now.....and your other points re Schuster and Thommo spot on also....my bad as sometimes brisk over the site and like this occasion...stuff it up, carry on Al - with you on ALL the above...

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4