Val Holmes .... Myth ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Talk of Valentine Holmes becoming a million dollar player ..... and preferred by Cowboys over Mitchell .....

I rate Holmes as a good player ... maybe even a very good player ..... but in my opinion he is not a superstar ...... on his day, Mitchell would make him his bitch .... problem is how many good days will Mitchell give you ......

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 full backs in the comp worth a mil ... Turbo and Tedesco .... possibly whatshisname from Newcastle he he became more consistent ... but he's playing 5/8 anyway .....

I don't see this ending well ...
Rts is worth a million easy. And unlike our turbo he plays most games a year and often caps over 200 meters a game and holds the record 330 meters or something like this. Val holmes is worth around 700k hes a great player.

So would I .... but not for a mil ... and not at fullback ......
All Rep players have million dollar contracts nowdays.
Its the nature of the ever increasing Cap and the limited number of great players :nerd:

Holmes is a better winger just like Latrell is a better centre.

But they see what fullbacks command and the plays they get by not relying on someone to pass them the ball and all want to be fullbacks @:cool:

Will be interesting to see if he backflips on the Cows and moseys on down to the Broncs :wondering:

Rts is worth a million easy. And unlike our turbo he plays most games a year and often caps over 200 meters a game and holds the record 330 meters or something like this. Val holmes is worth around 700k hes a great player.
Spot on.Not sure how anyone could leave RTS out of this conversation.Id go as far as saying he’s better than Tedesco and the best fullback in the game

Talk of Valentine Holmes becoming a million dollar player ..... and preferred by Cowboys over Mitchell .....

I rate Holmes as a good player ... maybe even a very good player ..... but in my opinion he is not a superstar ...... on his day, Mitchell would make him his bitch .... problem is how many good days will Mitchell give you ......

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 full backs in the comp worth a mil ... Turbo and Tedesco .... possibly whatshisname from Newcastle he he became more consistent ... but he's playing 5/8 anyway .....

I don't see this ending well ...
The sooner what his name from Newy f#cks of the union the better
I bet Des could get Latrell consistent

Who cares?
Is this what we have to deal with for the next 3 months? Agghh! For what it's worth, I assessed Holmes as worth 950k. And a fair chunk of that is for his name, yes literally, his name, he has a great name with star power, and he will bring fans and sponsors to a club.

Spot on.Not sure how anyone could leave RTS out of this conversation.Id go as far as saying he’s better than Tedesco and the best fullback in the game
Ooooo not for me t3desco is just a beast.. in saying that rts if he played for us or storm he could be the best but alas he plays for the warriors lol Tedesco is amazing the tigers fans must be spewing and now papeh****zu is killing it as well hahaha they still got benji;)

What position did he play in those games ??

Valentine Holmes

13 tests
11 Wing (16 tries), 1 Fullback (0 tries), 1 bench (0 tries)

5 Origins
5 Wing (8 tries)

105 NRL games
63 Wing (45 tries), 42 Fullback (21 tries)

Holmes can play either wing or fullback, we all know that. But he has proven to be a much more effective winger. These days the top fullbacks like Turbo, Tedesco and RTS are not only try scorers and last line defenders, they often also play as extra 5/8's and are not only support players who can chime into the line, but they also have to be able to set up their team mates. At Cronulla that was one of the reasons why most saw Holmes as a winger, because he wasn't a fullback who could set up his supports. Its also why he was seen as primarily a winger at representative level.

If he wants to come back to the NRL with the Cows and play fullback then good luck to him if they are willing to pay him elite fullback money for it ($1m+ per year). But personally I don't think they will be getting full bang for their buck.

I wonder why they don't head north and give the CFL a go? Could be a stepping stone back into the big show if they're good enough. That's what others do.

Anyway, unless you're a punter or a behemoth, then there's little chance of success to go over to the nfl successfully. They're up against guys who are fanatical about it since school. (I reckon).

Dunno if he's worth 1 mill a season. It'd be risky to throw that at him first year back. Who'd be that crazy? (cough) Toronto (cough).

Potentially they could be paid a lot more in the NFL than they could get in the CFL. Hence the Canadian version of the game is often overlooked by "foreigners" like Holmes wanting to try their hand at grid iron.

IIRC, Paul Sironen actually went a different route, though I don't think he really had dreams of playing in the NFL. Instead of going over there as an established rugby league player like Hayne and Holmes tried, Siro Sr. was actually recruited by the University of Hawaii on a scholarship when he was about 19 based primarily on his size (remember, in the early-mid 80s, Paul Sironen at 6'5" and 115 kg was a giant as far as league went. Today he'd still be big, but a lot closer to average). He did go over to Hawaii for a year but didn't like that he rarely got to touch the ball, not to mention being a freshman (first year) he was what they call a "redshirt" and rarely got to play at all.

It actually would be interesting to know how far Siro could have gone had he stuck with it. But given the career he had in league, especially his very good rep career, I think he made the right choice to come back to Australia. Besides, if he'd have stayed over there.....would his son be playing for Manly?

Last edited:
Amazing highlights

Devastating runner in the open and is defensively sound

Exceptional Winger with a formidable strike rate converting opportunities into tries

From what I have seen of him, his best position is on the wing and his former Sharks coach Flanagan experimented with him at fullback but switched him back to the wing where he was much more prominent .

He turns 25 next season and everything is possible for an athlete who has so much speed and skill but until Holmes consistently performs at the highest level at fullback as his does on the wing he is not a million dollar value player as yet .

The cowboys would be taking a gamble offering Holmes one million dollars a year contract because they believe in him but we all know what can happen when we start to believe

One more thing ......
It takes a lot of courage to sacrifice and follow your dream and I respect and admire Holmes decision to try his luck in the great US of A.

View attachment 13200
I agree... I was responding to a post that stated he was a good player, maybe a a very good player. And I happen to believe he is most certainly a star on the wing. Whether he can become an elite FB... time will tell, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Last edited:
He can play but is a winger. Trouble is his manager wants him to be a fb as that's where elite money is like mate all also.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4