Val Holmes .... Myth ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well considering how spectacularly the last player who returned from the NFL crashed and burned, then maybe this myth virus is highly contagious

Must confess only got to h/t last night Woodsie, before my wife highjacked the footy.
A standout factor I witnessed in that time, was the lack of involvement Val had in that time...Cows lapped up a sad looking Dogs team, where Drinkwater was the bloke you would think was 2 grades above Holmes if you didn't know their history.
I do agree at this point he adds more as a winger, but do feel as the season kicks on, he will add attacking potency, but the game is based on more than a few flashes of brilliance.
If Holmes is to jump to that elite level, needs to lift work rate, rocks/diamonds moments and ignore this over hype that the media give him, particularly since his stint in the USA

I know the drinkwaters pretty well from up here on the central coast they are a great family and Scott is a good kid. It’s great to see him going so well, with a bit of confidence the sky’s the limit. A shame he isn’t in maroon and white.

I know the drinkwaters pretty well from up here on the central coast they are a great family and Scott is a good kid. It’s great to see him going so well, with a bit of confidence the sky’s the limit. A shame he isn’t in maroon and white.
Did the Drinkwater’s ever reside in Leonay way back in the 80’s?

His brother Josh was in Maroon and White for a while in our NYC team

He was pretty average last night.. and against the dogs... and with JT rampaging over 300 meters. Fb is a hard position to cover, Latrell will be back in the centers come round 10.. If we get to round 10. I'm tipping the country will be locked down in 6 weeks. Like LA.. then the real trouble begins

I'll say this much.

Holmes will make a better fullback than Latrell Mitchell. Not because he has a feel for the position or anything like that, but because at least he has the work ethic to actually get involved. Mitchell is lazy, which was OK in the centres but is poison when playing fullback in the modern game.

Despite what he thinks, Holmes is a winger, not a fullback. And despite what Mitchell thinks, he's a centre, not a fullback. Though I suspect a lot of Mitchell's thinking has a lot to do with the fact that fullback's make better money than centre's these days.

As far as current players go, neither is in the same class as Turbo, Tedesco and RTS with the #1 on their back. And they will never be.

I'll say this much.

Holmes will make a better fullback than Latrell Mitchell. Not because he has a feel for the position or anything like that, but because at least he has the work ethic to actually get involved. Mitchell is lazy, which was OK in the centres but is poison when playing fullback in the modern game.

Despite what he thinks, Holmes is a winger, not a fullback. And despite what Mitchell thinks, he's a centre, not a fullback. Though I suspect a lot of Mitchell's thinking has a lot to do with the fact that fullback's make better money than centre's these days.

As far as current players go, neither is in the same class as Turbo, Tedesco and RTS with the #1 on their back. And they will never be.
I think Val will come good in time and be 5 or 6 best fullback, Latrine will be back in the centres pretty soon...he ain't a FB's strap.

For me TT has a way to go before he is an elite buddy. A very good attacking weapon thus far but defensively, game reading, field position and consistency wise not there yet..
He showed great strides of growth last week shutting down 2 tries that he probably would gave not gotten near in the past.

He is a work in progress and i'm excited to see what he will become under Des and Snake. An elite for sure if he can stay healthy... and possibly even the best ever.

Snake with size and power. Wow!

Last edited:
This from Matty Johns today ...

FAILED TO MEET THE HYPE
Val has had a disappointing return to the NRL. Sure he has suffered a few injuries but from early in the season he has never looked comfortable and has struggled to make an impact ...

Got to agree with that ... and Myth at fullback seems to have been correct ... goes Ok on the wing though ..

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8