Unsung Hero’s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Great days .... but reminded me that at one of the preseason tournaments at the footy stadium in the 80's I think, I had the pleasure of being hijacked into an assistant coaching role (unpaid and unsung) for the USA 7's team by Warren Ryan ..... (I think I only got the gig because he knew I always carried 2 footies and some cones in the boot for touch footy and gear was sparse)

Everbody will be pleased to hear that we used the full bench each game .......
Probably more 90's Woodsie was when Ryan took charge in 7's.....I also remember Warren Ryan got sucked into giving a fraud from USA a shot on the wing at Newcastle.....had a Shocker...Smith was his surname and he had 1 game and disappeared and they then found out he never played NFL, but only had a trial at Philadelphia Eagles.

Probably more 90's Woodsie was when Ryan took charge in 7's.....I also remember Warren Ryan got sucked into giving a fraud from USA a shot on the wing at Newcastle.....had a Shocker...Smith was his surname and he had 1 game and disappeared and they then found out he never played NFL, but only had a trial at Philadelphia Eagles.

You are correct .... I just remembered my son was born so it would be 90's .. and Yeah, Greg "Philly" Smith ..... same guy now is a pretty successful atletics coach or personal trainer in Syd I think .....

You are correct .... I just remembered my son was born so it would be 90's .. and Yeah, Greg "Philly" Smith ..... same guy now is a pretty successful atletics coach or personal trainer in Syd I think .....
Would have been some fun times there mate - I loved that tournament, but certainly no water bottles where I was sitting !!

Unsung Hero's
Penn that keeps on pouring his money and time to keep our club going . He has been loyal since 2008 and has knocked back 12 million to sell his beloved Manly .
Let us also not forget the original Messiah Mighty Max Delmege who saved us our ass
One of the most thankless jobs is to own an NRL club .

Yep, I second the Jughead Jones nomination. Craig Hancock is another local junior who always put in and maximized his talent. Used to see him watching games from the hill after he retired.

I was glad when Bozo put Hancock on for Ridge when he got injured in the 1996 GF. I think that was his way of rewarding Craig for his years of tireless service.

I also think he did better as a fullback in 1997 than he gets credit for. After a career on the wing, stepping in as the replacement for someone of Matty Ridge's quality was never going to be easy. Its a shame he broke his ankle in that game against the Worms because I think we were a better side with him at the back than we were with Shannon Nevin. The best thing Nevin had going for him was his goal kicking.....and even that was a big step down from what we'd been used to from Ridgey.

Craig Hancock was one of those who never wanted to leave Manly. He only went to Balmain in 1999 because he was basically unwanted at the end of his career (kinda like when Bill Hamilton went to Norths). He was never the most flashy winger, nor the fastest, and lets face it he only played Origin in 1995 because Manly were in such good form and the ARL refused to pick SL signed players. But he gave 100% every time he went out there in the maroon and white.

Luke Williamson was definitely 'unsung' (especially here on Silvertails) but he was very solid and reliable and played a big part in building the team that went on to win in 2008, even though he got injured that year and couldn't break back into the side for the big game.

I remember when Williamson made his first grade debut back in 1997....for the Adelaide Rams of all teams. He actually played most of his time with the Rams as a goal kicking centre or 5/8. For the Rams he played 15 games at centre, 7 at pivot, 2 at lock and even once on the wing (he started 4 Rams games from the bench).

Would have been some fun times there mate - I loved that tournament, but certainly no water bottles where I was sitting !!

It was ... got to hang out in the sheds and on the sideline pretending I was a good sort .... and at training the week before I got to impersonate a tackle bag ... listening to Wok was an experience ... he knew his footy ...

It was ... got to hang out in the sheds and on the sideline pretending I was a good sort .... and at training the week before I got to impersonate a tackle bag ... listening to Wok was an experience ... he knew his footy ...
I read some good old school, accurate summaries coming out of the Woodsie corner - the man knows his footy - maybe the Wok had you there for some insight, as well as your good looks mate :happy:

joe.jpg
Joe Gulavoa

Last edited:
Has Simon Booth been mentioned

I was fairly young at the time but seemed to me he was always thereabouts but without the accolades of some of our others

Tom Mooney was definitely another very astute acquisition by Ken Arthurson and had a top career with Manly . Originally was playing i st grade with Souths as a centre [ as i recall ] , then of course transitioning into an excellent all round winger for Manly . Pretty sure that he was a school teacher early on as well and good to see that he is presently doing well , especially health wise. Simon Booth was another Arko recruit from Newcastle Wests i think , came with big wraps and did do well to hold down an outside back position during that era of really competitive Manly sides . Really did intrigue at that time though how many former established Manly players then ended up at the Tigers , Simon Booth , Frogeyes Gartner , Whiz Martin , Ian Thompson , maybe Stephen Knight also . It was quite a list

I was glad when Bozo put Hancock on for Ridge when he got injured in the 1996 GF. I think that was his way of rewarding Craig for his years of tireless service.

I also think he did better as a fullback in 1997 than he gets credit for. After a career on the wing, stepping in as the replacement for someone of Matty Ridge's quality was never going to be easy. Its a shame he broke his ankle in that game against the Worms because I think we were a better side with him at the back than we were with Shannon Nevin. The best thing Nevin had going for him was his goal kicking.....and even that was a big step down from what we'd been used to from Ridgey.

Craig Hancock was one of those who never wanted to leave Manly. He only went to Balmain in 1999 because he was basically unwanted at the end of his career (kinda like when Bill Hamilton went to Norths). He was never the most flashy winger, nor the fastest, and lets face it he only played Origin in 1995 because Manly were in such good form and the ARL refused to pick SL signed players. But he gave 100% every time he went out there in the maroon and white.
Winner!

Tom Mooney was definitely another very astute acquisition by Ken Arthurson and had a top career with Manly . Originally was playing i st grade with Souths as a centre [ as i recall ] , then of course transitioning into an excellent all round winger for Manly . Pretty sure that he was a school teacher early on as well and good to see that he is presently doing well , especially health wise. Simon Booth was another Arko recruit from Newcastle Wests i think , came with big wraps and did do well to hold down an outside back position during that era of really competitive Manly sides . Really did intrigue at that time though how many former established Manly players then ended up at the Tigers , Simon Booth , Frogeyes Gartner , Whiz Martin , Ian Thompson , maybe Stephen Knight also . It was quite a list
And winner!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8