Unsung Hero’s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Just watching an old Manly game and a backrower keeps running off Cliff Lyons....not as flashy as Menzies, but his name is John Jones....damn he runs hard.

Just after a few players over the years who don’t hog the headlines, yet get it done....and as a fan - you appreciate.... my take early - Jughead Jones !!

Last edited:
Just watching an old Manly game and a backrower keeps running off Cliff Lyons....not as wuick not flashy as Menzies but his name is John Jones....damn he runs hard.

Just after a few players over the years who don’t hog the headlines, yet get it done....and as a fan - you appreciate.... my take early - Jughead Jones !!
Manly had some very, very under rated players mate. And I mean real quality.

Owen Cunningham: Not big, but 100%, always.
Daniel Gartner: Up there with Menzies TBH
Nik Kosef: Better knees, he'd had been anything.

Guys like that.

We all know Roberts, Carroll, Gillespie were guns, but the above named guys should have got more airtime imo.

Manly certainly had a riches of talent.

Jughead was an absolute beaut. Hard-working , hard-hitting 100% Manly guy, every week.

Another was Darrell Williams.
Made some of the biggest hits I have ever seen and another 100% Manly guy who never quit..

Freddy Jones is another who doesn't get the respect he deserves here. He gave it EVERYTHING, every game.

The Bug, Robbo and Elsegood are faves here but guys like David Ronson and Bruce Walker were great assets to us at all times on small money.

Maybe not many saw these guys, and others like them play, so they are not as revered as they are due. I saw them play most weeks and I assure everyone here that 100% guys like these were the nucleus that binded the lauded stars into a champion team.

Unsung heroes?
Not to those who witnessed them week in, week out, putting in and being a big part of our successes.

There have been many more over the years and this is EXACTLY what Manly culture is all about and I hope the new coaching team can re-instill that again.

Glenn glowhead Ryan
Unfortunately hamstrung by his hamstrings was a hard working, no nonsense player, good ball runner and a relentless defender in the early 80s.
Wouldn't have been out of place in origin.
Finished up in Canberra.

David Ronson and Stuey 'the bug' Davis.
Premiership winning wingers.
No more needs saying...

Luke Williamson was definitely 'unsung' (especially here on Silvertails) but he was very solid and reliable and played a big part in building the team that went on to win in 2008, even though he got injured that year and couldn't break back into the side for the big game.

Guys like that.

We all know Roberts, Carroll, Gillespie were guns, but the above named guys should have got more airtime imo.

I get your point about underrated, but the three you quote I wouldn't quite class as "unsung"

OJ played for QLD, Gartner represented Australia and Kosef played roughly a dozen tests and 8-12 Origins

Some recent ones that pop to mind are Shane Rodney, many slated the signing but he always got the job done. Josh Perry...........I'll admit I bagged this signing but was pleasantly suprised and of course the one that Manly fans appreciate but was unsung outside of Manly was Robertson

Luke Williamson was definitely 'unsung' (especially here on Silvertails) but he was very solid and reliable and played a big part in building the team that went on to win in 2008, even though he got injured that year and couldn't break back into the side for the big game.
Was our best player in the 07 GF.
Shame he couldn't taste victory a year later on that effort alone.
Took it to the scum the whole game.

Jughead was an absolute beaut. Hard-working , hard-hitting 100% Manly guy, every week.

Another was Darrell Williams.
Made some of the biggest hits I have ever seen and another 100% Manly guy who never quit..

Freddy Jones is another who doesn't get the respect he deserves here. He gave it EVERYTHING, every game.

The Bug, Robbo and Elsegood are faves here but guys like David Ronson and Bruce Walker were great assets to us at all times on small money.

Maybe not many saw these guys, and others like them play, so they are not as revered as they are due. I saw them play most weeks and I assure everyone here that 100% guys like these were the nucleus that binded the lauded stars into a champion team.

Unsung heroes?
Not to those who witnessed them week in, week out, putting in and being a big part of our successes.

There have been many more over the years and this is EXACTLY what Manly culture is all about and I hope the new coaching team can re-instill that again.
David Hosking aka the mule a fan favourite as well for his 100% performances each week

Michael Robbo Robertson.
Whilst not being unsung by Manly supporters he was definitely unheralded by selectors and would not have been out of place in origin or the kangaroos.
In my top 4 Manly wingers that I have seen, the others being Ken Irvine, Tom Mooney and Wolfy.

Guys like that.

Was a fan when Gartner first came onto the scene but got annoyed after a while with his predictable "step back inside" before hitting the line.

Loved Owen Cunningham and his 100% effort, extracted the most out of himself.

Kosef was a jack of all trades and a master of none player who offered variety and options when injuries hit the squad.

Glenn glowhead Ryan
Unfortunately hamstrung by his hamstrings was a hard working, no nonsense player, good ball runner and a relentless defender in the early 80s.
Wouldn't have been out of place in origin.
Finished up in Canberra.
Agree, and he played origin.

Edit: I was wrong he only played for city origin. I thought he played for NSW because of the blue jumper memory I had.

Michael Robbo Robertson.
Whilst not being unsung by Manly supporters he was definitely unheralded by selectors and would not have been out of place in origin or the kangaroos.
In my top 4 Manly wingers that I have seen, the others being Ken Irvine, Tom Mooney and Wolfy.
Michael Robertson was up there with my favourite player . Gee what we could do with someone out of his mould now . Back on jughead Jones the poor buggar did his Achilles helping a mate move a fridge down a set of stairs and sadly was pretty well the end of his career. No frills forward.

584CD92E-F18E-488E-9DE8-C70013DC028B.jpeg
I think these guys have all been mentioned but looking again at the the photo from my wall makes me remember just how good tezza was

Dead set hard arse and great teamman
Would always have the back of every player in his team

Michael Robertson was up there with my favourite player . Gee what we could do with someone out of his mould now . Back on jughead Jones the poor buggar did his Achilles helping a mate move a fridge down a set of stairs and sadly was pretty well the end of his career. No frills forward.
When I first heard we signed him, I thought we got a dud. Boy, how I was wrong. Guy had magical hands (safe as a house).

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7