Unsung Hero’s

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When I first heard we signed him, I thought we got a dud. Boy, how I was wrong. Guy had magical hands (safe as a house).
Let's hope Des can turn a couple of these unheralded players into a Robbo.

We've had a few.

I'm glad Shane Rodney has got a few mentions. No BS about him in the slightest, he just got in, tackled himself to a standstill and did his fair share in attack.

Robbo is another, how he was never even mentioned for State of Origin is beyond me. Whether he should have played....debatable....but I never once heard anyone in the media even bring up his name.

Glenn Hall I think was pretty unsung also.

Manly had some very, very under rated players mate. And I mean real quality.

Owen Cunningham: Not big, but 100%, always.
Daniel Gartner: Up there with Menzies TBH
Nik Kosef: Better knees, he'd had been anything.

Guys like that.

We all know Roberts, Carroll, Gillespie were guns, but the above named guys should have got more airtime imo.

Manly certainly had a riches of talent.
Nik Kosef was probably the most talented backrower going around at the time. He could do it all - what a player! And yes with better health he could have been an all time great - not just in Manly colours. Also has to be the very best backrow we have ever had Menzies, Gartner and Kosef!

Was a fan when Gartner first came onto the scene but got annoyed after a while with his predictable "step back inside" before hitting the line.

Loved Owen Cunningham and his 100% effort, extracted the most out of himself.

Kosef was a jack of all trades and a master of none player who offered variety and options when injuries hit the squad.
Nik also on Coast. Had the Mermaid Beach tavern a while back, now does FIFO mining. Trained with him a lot at Burleigh. One of the most naturally strong blokes Ive ever seen and had one of the silkiest passes of any backkrower that’s ever gone around. Until his knees went was a certainty for SOO and test football in the late 90s.One of our best.

And interestingly only played 3 games less for Australia than the great Beaver despite his knees. Both are still great mates.

Last edited:
I think Kosef owned a few pubs including 1 in Toowoomba also.
No doubt that perfect link between forwards and backs as a text book lock, also used to love his intensity in defence was top shelf, always winning the tackle and controlling the ruck, plus his charge downs were intense....till he got busted for a hit on Fred or Joey....think it was his charge down to set up Innes to fend Sing off at Brookie for a Top comeback from 18 - 0 down against Roosters.

My favourite unsung hero is the old champ who leads the victory song in the sheds.

I think Kosef owned a few pubs including 1 in Toowoomba also.
No doubt that perfect link between forwards and backs as a text book lock, also used to love his intensity in defence was top shelf, always winning the tackle and controlling the ruck, plus his charge downs were intense....till he got busted for a hit on Fred or Joey....think it was his charge down to set up Innes to fend Sing off at Brookie for a Top comeback from 18 - 0 down against Roosters.

He had/has the National i believe @maxta. Jason Smith had one too but yeah less said the better!

Nik also on Coast. Had the Mermaid Beach tavern a while back, now does FIFO mining. Trained with him a lot at Burleigh. One of the most naturally strong blokes Ive ever seen and had one of the silkiest passes of any backkrower that’s ever gone around. Until his knees went was a certainty for SOO and test football in the late 90s.One of our best.

And interestingly only played 3 games less for Australia than the great Beaver despite his knees. Both are still great mates.
Yeah Nik's passing was better than many halves in the 90's, very silky player that always looked like he was gliding effortlessly across the park.

Sometimes the double wind up before delivering the pass would get on my nerves though.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
The Cobar Kid was a great defender but would find himself in hot water these days with the lifting beyond the vertical rule. He sailed close to the wind even back in the 90's. Agree his passing game was a thing of beauty.

I recall the old 7's days with Manly in the Pepsi gear.....Kosef was the other ball player with Cliffy and numerous passes to Tezza Hill and Elsesgood ended in Tries - them the days !!

I recall the old 7's days with Manly in the Pepsi gear.....Kosef was the other ball player with Cliffy and numerous passes to Tezza Hill and Elsesgood ended in Tries - them the days !!

Great days .... but reminded me that at one of the preseason tournaments at the footy stadium in the 80's I think, I had the pleasure of being hijacked into an assistant coaching role (unpaid and unsung) for the USA 7's team by Warren Ryan ..... (I think I only got the gig because he knew I always carried 2 footies and some cones in the boot for touch footy and gear was sparse)

Everbody will be pleased to hear that we used the full bench each game .......

Great days .... but reminded me that at one of the preseason tournaments at the footy stadium in the 80's I think, I had the pleasure of being hijacked into an assistant coaching role (unpaid and unsung) for the USA 7's team by Warren Ryan ..... (I think I only got the gig because he knew I always carried 2 footies and some cones in the boot for touch footy and gear was sparse)

Everbody will be pleased to hear that we used the full bench each game .......

Ooooooooooooooooh now we get it.... Boy you coaches really do stick together don't you?!?!?!?

lolololololololololololololololololol

btw, just to the right of the number 9 button up there on your 'puter... is a 0.

Now you don't have to type 4oo when you mean 400. ge's psa

lolololololololololololololololololol x 2

#bored

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8