Under 14k at SFS, vs 20k+ at Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why are you having a crack at me con?
I'm obviously not blaming the club, you quoted me, surely you read what i wrote.

I blame the NRL for making us look stupid. The club looks stupid, we look stupid, everyone aligned with Manly looks stupid. Please don't accuse me of blaming the club for this. I blame theNRL for making it difficult & I blame our supporters for not sucking it up & supporting the club. If we have no fans, we have no clout at the NRL.
It may not be ideal but if bones can get to every game then surely a trip into Moore Park isn't that hard.

As a Saturday night out, it beats the hell out of the Northern Beaches. The stadium is crap though. You're too far away & sitting down is no way to watch footy.

Instead of looking at how things are difficult, why can't people just see an opportunity to have a bit of fun, do something different?

I can see where the NRL is coming from by wanting to have finals at larger stadiums, especially when Brookvale really is run down and pretty ****ty. However it made no sense with us playing the Cowboys at the SFS. If it was against the Dragons or Tigers fine but common sense should have prevailed when we knew the game was against the Cowboys.

Fair enough Duff point taken, However blaming Manly Supporters for not going to the game is blaming the club as i see the club as a whole. 830 on Sat night is a TV slot if it was afternoon at SFS you would have had more fans. Saints have one of the biggest supporter bases in the game and only got 15000 last year to round 1 semi at Kograh against us.

And as i said alot of Manly fans dont live in Sydney or Manly and cant afford to travel to those games and save up money to travel to the second round semi considering we knew we had another week coming.

Lets face is - for 95% of us it's easier to get to brookie. Getting a bus the the SFS is a pain in the arse & who wants to sit on the bus for an hour on the way home busting for a piss.

Lots of the younger fans aren't going to be allowed to go into the city to get home at midnight. That's just the way it is.

OK every one agreed to having the finals at larger venues. No one can have a pop at the NRL for this. However, the NRL saying tuff luck & there's no way we will change venues in the future is just pig headed.

If a mistake has been made just fix it - no need to duck for cover or come out all guns blazing.

Saying changing it would be unfair is stupid. It's gallops inability to fess up to mistakes he has made that has made him so unpopular with the public.

How hard is it to say OK we got it wrong but will fix it up for next time.

conanu said:
Fair enough Duff point taken, However blaming Manly Supporters for not going to the game is blaming the club as i see the club as a whole. 830 on Sat night is a TV slot if it was afternoon at SFS you would have had more fans. Saints have one of the biggest supporter bases in the game and only got 15000 last year to round 1 semi at Kograh against us.

And as i said alot of Manly fans dont live in Sydney or Manly and cant afford to travel to those games and save up money to travel to the second round semi considering we knew we had another week coming.

The supporters are NOT the club. The supporters are "supporters of the club". That is why they are called "supporters". I feel sorry for the club because of its fair weather supporters. There were 13000 Manly fans I was proud to stand next to on Saturday night, and a lot that I will be happy to stand next to because they couldn't get there for reasons (work, don't live in Sydney etc.). However, the ones that didn't turn up because its a pain in the arse, or because it was cold or because the game wasn't at Brookie, YOU are the ones to fault for why the club is a laughing stock this week, no one else. Take the blame, suck it up, apologise (we will forgive you because you are Manly fans) and get your arses out there on Friday week. It's not that hard, even for bandwagon supporters ;)

Just 86k bothered to watch Storm live on TV & ahem, 14k attended. If only storm fans were as passionate abt the game as they are abt gallop

Paul Kunt just ripped into us and Des on the Back Page - major cock somker he is

Jono said:

The supporters are NOT the club. The supporters are "supporters of the club". That is why they are called "supporters". I feel sorry for the club because of its fair weather supporters. There were 13000 Manly fans I was proud to stand next to on Saturday night, and a lot that I will be happy to stand next to because they couldn't get there for reasons (work, don't live in Sydney etc.). However, the ones that didn't turn up because its a pain in the arse, or because it was cold or because the game wasn't at Brookie, YOU are the ones to fault for why the club is a laughing stock this week, no one else. Take the blame, suck it up, apologise (we will forgive you because you are Manly fans) and get your arses out there on Friday week. It's not that hard, even for bandwagon supporters ;)

Do you work for News Ltd Jono, Who needs enemies when we have fans like you talking absolute garbage and saying it is our fans fault. There are any number of reasons for fans not attending. (See Mark's letter to the Courier Mail's editor if you want a good idea of what went wrong.) Do you really think Manly has that many of these "Fair Weather Supporters"?? I would say most of Fans fall into the genuine reasons for not attending catagory. However you want to you look at this, the NRL handled it terribly and to be honest our club or sorry "The Club" (I forgot we are just supporters and have nothing to do with the place) got no revenue from this game anyway. We did however add to the 1.5 million viewers who watched it on telly which was more than the Melbourne Vs Knights and the Bronco Vs Warriors games attracted. Maybe next year they will allocate us more TV games because we attract more viewers and rate higher.

Say whatever you want about the NRL or other clubs but if you want to start attacking Manly fans for not turning up to the SFS at 8:30 on a saturday night when they have to travel with Kids on public transport after 10:30pm and cost a fortune to get home after midnight and not to mention all the other reasonable excuses for not attending a game so obviously planned for convenience for TV and CH9. Well then you pal can get stuffed!!. I dont care if you sleep outside Brookie on the weekend to show your support your a peanut!. Well done to you for being our number 1 "**** Weather Supporter"
Duff said:
Why are you having a crack at me con?
I'm obviously not blaming the club, you quoted me, surely you read what i wrote.

I blame the NRL for making us look stupid. The club looks stupid, we look stupid, everyone aligned with Manly looks stupid. Please don't accuse me of blaming the club for this. I blame theNRL for making it difficult & I blame our supporters for not sucking it up & supporting the club. If we have no fans, we have no clout at the NRL.
It may not be ideal but if bones can get to every game then surely a trip into Moore Park isn't that hard.

As a Saturday night out, it beats the hell out of the Northern Beaches. The stadium is crap though. You're too far away & sitting down is no way to watch footy.

Instead of looking at how things are difficult, why can't people just see an opportunity to have a bit of fun, do something different?

Duff for the record I was never having a crack at you I was expressing my opinion and you are right i should have said "Fan's" or "Supporters" instead of "Club".

The NRL need to decide what they want. Do they want people watching from home to boost channel 9's ratings or do they want full stadiums? The way they let channel 9 dictate timeslots for games on TV, implement rule changes to make it a better spectacle for tv, and wont release the whole seasons match dates in advance tells me the answer. They bend over backwards to give channel 9 everything they want to make the game as attractive for tv as possible. They cant then turn around and criticize fans for staying at home and watching it. The NRL are to blame as they have let channel 9 make it too attractive to stay home and watch it.

Couldnt agree more Bones. And by the way was that you on 2sm today? if it was you, then well said mate.

conanu said:
Jono said:

Do you work for News Ltd Jono, Who needs enemies when we have fans like you talking absolute garbage and saying it is our fans fault. There are any number of reasons for fans not attending. (See Mark's letter to the Courier Mail's editor if you want a good idea of what went wrong.) Do you really think Manly has that many of these "Fair Weather Supporters"?? I would say most of Fans fall into the genuine reasons for not attending catagory. However you want to you look at this, the NRL handled it terribly and to be honest our club or sorry "The Club" (I forgot we are just supporters and have nothing to do with the place) got no revenue from this game anyway. We did however add to the 1.5 million viewers who watched it on telly which was more than the Melbourne Vs Knights and the Bronco Vs Warriors games attracted. Maybe next year they will allocate us more TV games because we attract more viewers and rate higher.

Say whatever you want about the NRL or other clubs but if you want to start attacking Manly fans for not turning up to the SFS at 8:30 on a saturday night when they have to travel with Kids on public transport after 10:30pm and cost a fortune to get home after midnight and not to mention all the other reasonable excuses for not attending a game so obviously planned for convenience for TV and CH9. Well then you pal can get stuffed!!. I dont care if you sleep outside Brookie on the weekend to show your support your a peanut!. Well done to you for being our number 1 "s**t Weather Supporter"

How about you read my post above more clearly, you know the part you declined to put in bold: However, the ones that didn't turn up because its a pain in the arse, or because it was cold or because the game wasn't at Brookie, YOU are the ones to fault for why the club is a laughing stock this week, no one else.

It wasn't a personal attack on you. It was an attack on the Manly fans that could have come but decided they wouldn't because of pitiful reasons. The fact you blew up like that might tell me you are one of these supporters I talked about above. I'll tell you something, the fact that the family hill is empty most weeks tells me that there are a lot more supporters without kids than you think, most of whom did not turn up on Saturday for the exact same reasons that people with kids didn't turn up. Difference? They couldn't have been stuffed. Just like most of the season when games were at Brookie!! Great supporters of the club they are.

Now we are being looked at like fools, the club gained no financial advantage from the game and it was a complete flop...and the rest of this supposed boycott from the fans? Less money for the club and the NRL saying nothing is changing. Wow!! Great success.

The only thing that will come out of this? MAYBE event buses. However, they didn't do this in 07 or 08 to Moore Park so I'd be surprised if they did it this time either. A question (because I don't have kids): would an hour difference in start from 830pm to 730pm make a difference? What about 830pm on a Saturday where the kids have had a whole day to rest, compared to 730 on a Friday when they've been at school all day? If it is going to be a difference and you are correct I expect minimum 30,000 there next week. If we don't get this then I am right.

Seriously, this kids excuse is rubbish. What percentage of the population have kids under five?
What is the point of taking a kid under five to the footy anyway? Go without them.
If the kids are over five, take them to the footy, they'll enjoy a big night out. It's exciting. Stop thinking like boring old square parents. Think back to when you were a kid.

Loads of 14, 15, and 16 year olds go to brooky on their own or with mates. Different matter going to the city and getting home at 12.30

Farked if my kids would be allowed to go.

I guess what im saying guys is almost the same as what your saying. You guys think that it was lazy supporters that didnt turn up that lessened the crowd and i didnt think there are that much of a percentage of those supporters to make a difference. Where as i reckon its the unfreindly timeslot for families and older people in general that caused it and you guys dont think the percentage of those kinds of supporters wouls have changed it. I lived in Ireland for the last 8 years and only just moved back to Canberra a month ago for work. But i reckon alot of our fans are interstate, international or spread everywhere thats why we dont get massive crowds to rd1 semis away from home when we have a second chance. Thats why we had 70000 to th gf in 08. I agree though alot of those jopped on the bandwagon too though.

I think a big factor in the lack of a decent crowd is the cost of tickets to the final series. It is way too high IMO. While I paid for two I can understand why cost deters others, especially when you can watch it for free on TV.
Now, that doesn't explain how 45,000 Tigers and Steelers supporters, nor 50,000 Bronco fans disregarded the cost. Obviously they are more 'passionate' than us . . . but according to that goose Gallop, passion is a dirty word.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2