unanswered questions

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Moving forward into next year, so far we have
* Zane Tetevano (backrow/prop)
* Blake Leary (backrow)
* Uiti Baker (prop)
* Brayden Wiliame (wing)

and potentially
*Willie Mason (prop)
*Siosaia Vave (prop)

Q1. If Choc stays, do we still get Mason? or would we no longer be able squeeze him under the cap?
Q2. If choc goes, will we sign Willie AND another more high profile forward as well?
Q3. with the exception of Mason (who would obviously play first grade), who of the others mentioned above, is a serious chance of playing first grade, and who are simply depth signings?

Personally, I would prefer we go after Packer (rather than Mason), and play Starling on the bench. That would be all we need to challenge next year.

Q4. If we sign Vave and Mason as well as Tetevano & Uiti which props do we let go? Obviously Kingy is retiring, however surely we would need to let go another 3 props from our squad to accommodate the new comers in this scenario.

@Snake You need someone with some inside knowledge re our cap.

I would have thought all but Baker are very real possibilities of playing in first grade at some stage.

The pre-season training hasn't even started yet, so really everyone including Baker should consider themselves a chance:) My logic is there is not many 23 year olds who at that age are big enough or good enough to play Prop in the nrl.

At 120 kg the young fellow should be our heaviest player, so he probably has the one thing covered that holds back, most young props. I can't say I've seen the kid play, so hopefully at that size he is mobile enough, here's to hoping the kid can join the games elite.

@North coast Eagle. Not necessarily. Hasson, JSL at times were our 4th prop, both primarily play second row when they play in reserves.

Further by season's end Toov's was playing Lui in the second row, I assume we had 3 big bodies to try and match the likes of the dogs, and souths big pack. At the same time it started when Choc was out, he plays as the middle forward usually that position is the lock in most teams, and they have another prop. aka Sam burgess, Trent Merrin, Corey Parker. etc

So it may be the case Toov's may want 5 props in the team next year if you get my drift.

Even if he goes back to having 4. Its the one position you should expect to get injuries.

I am still of the opinion we could use one or two more. (Lauaki and Merrin)
;-)

A back row equally can be horses for courses, so some games take a small mobile back row and run the opposition around ie Buhrer, JSL, Symonds, Leary.

At other times try a less mobile more direct approach with solid back row made up of our small props and just keep going through middle all day long. We have no shortage of em. Andrews, Trbojevic, Hasson, Sao.

Pablo said:
I don't get the interest in Packer. Why are clubs chasing him? Hardly set the world on fire. It's a bad sign for available talent if that douche is considered a desirable option.

He is massive, he is angry, and he will have a point to prove. He also won't break the bank; I think that's why clubs are chasing him.

The Thing i dont understand is the continual use of horo and hasson in the squad or on the bench. Horo was ordinary this year, and definately deserved to be taken out of the starting side, i really hope that he doesnt regain that spot, as i think its a complete waste.
Jamie buhrer and tom symonds offer far more as starting backrowers that horo offers. but the only problem is that horo as a bench impact player was of no value when compared to players like jesse sl and dunamis lui.
Theres a definate chance here to reshape our impact players off the bench and change the style that the club plays to match it with the bigger teams.

For me the pack and bench would be as follows:
8: Starling
9: Ballin
10: Lawrence
11: Buhrer (when Rehab is complete and fit)
12: Tom Symonds
13: Dunamis Lui

bench:
14: Jesse Sene Lefao
15: Jayden Hodges / zane tetavano
16: Jake Trbojevic
17: Willie Mason

Cliffy said:
@Snake You need someone with some inside knowledge re our cap.

I would have thought all but Baker are very real possibilities of playing in first grade at some stage.

The pre-season training hasn't even started yet, so really everyone including Baker should consider themselves a chance:) My logic is there is not many 23 year olds who at that age are big enough or good enough to play Prop in the nrl.

At 120 kg the young fellow should be our heaviest player, so he probably has the one thing covered that holds back, most young props. I can't say I've seen the kid play, so hopefully at that size he is mobile enough, here's to hoping the kid can join the games elite.

@North coast Eagle. Not necessarily. Hasson, JSL at times were our 4th prop, both primarily play second row when they play in reserves.

Further by season's end Toov's was playing Lui in the second row, I assume we had 3 big bodies to try and match the likes of the dogs, and souths big pack. At the same time it started when Choc was out, he plays as the middle forward usually that position is the lock in most teams, and they have another prop. aka Sam burgess, Trent Merrin, Corey Parker. etc

So it may be the case Toov's may want 5 props in the team next year if you get my drift.

Even if he goes back to having 4. Its the one position you should expect to get injuries.

I am still of the opinion we could use one or two more. (Lauaki and Merrin)
;-)

A back row equally can be horses for courses, so some games take a small mobile back row and run the opposition around ie Buhrer, JSL, Symonds, Leary.

At other times try a less mobile more direct approach with solid back row made up of our small props and just keep going through middle all day long. We have no shortage of em. Andrews, Trbojevic, Hasson, Sao.

Props don't usually come good until their middle to late twentys. Mason & Vave are hinging on Watmough moving on,should be sorted by the middle of the week.

It's obvious that Tooves is heading in a different direction next year, and getting some real size and power in the forwards is top of the agenda. The fact that we got monster ed by the vermin could turn out to be the catalyst. Imagine DCE and Foz behind a dominant pack, even a pack that holds their own. The re-build might not be as long as some might think.

Understandably, everyone is focused on the forwards. But let's not forget the importance of have speedy outside backs, who can jump. The young Souffs' and 'Riff wingers showed how valuable pace and agility is when most attacking sets end with a kick to the corners. If I'm not mistaken, both of them were teenagers when they broke into the top grade - so if you are good enough you are old enough.
Unfortunately we must have the slowest centres and wingers in the comp. The centres, in particular, have other great attributes so I'm not being critical - just pointing out they are not speedsters. Hiku is not a natural winger and Jorge has his limitations.
So, it's not just our forward stocks that need replenishing.

The Who said:
Understandably, everyone is focused on the forwards. But let's not forget the importance of have speedy outside backs, who can jump. The young Souffs' and 'Riff wingers showed how valuable pace and agility is when most attacking sets end with a kick to the corners. If I'm not mistaken, both of them were teenagers when they broke into the top grade - so if you are good enough you are old enough.
Unfortunately we must have the slowest centres and wingers in the comp. The centres, in particular, have other great attributes so I'm not being critical - just pointing out they are not speedsters. Hiku is not a natural winger and Jorge has his limitations.

I read somewhere that the club have plans to fast track Tom Turbo to the side next season on the wing.

Snake said:
Pablo said:
I don't get the interest in Packer. Why are clubs chasing him? Hardly set the world on fire. It's a bad sign for available talent if that douche is considered a desirable option.

He is massive, he is angry, and he will have a point to prove. He also won't break the bank; I think that's why clubs are chasing him.

He's also an absolute disgrace to the game considering his record and would be a better fit at the Scumdogs. I seriously put him in the same boat as Carney and that's saying something.

Kevinward777 said:
The Who said:

I read somewhere that the club have plans to fast track Tom Turbo to the side next season on the wing.

Could be a smart move. He's very tall. I've only seen him play fullback and he was outstanding.

Chubblo said:
Snake said:
Pablo said:

He's also an absolute disgrace to the game considering his record and would be a better fit at the Scumdogs. I seriously put him in the same boat as Carney and that's saying something.

Same boat

Lol

Pissing in your own stupid mouth is nothing

Attempting to kill someone is Inglis and Robert lui like scum

The Who said:

Snake is still very quick, and I think Lyon and Matai (as you mentioned) more than make up for their lack of blinding speed. Taufua had some ankle and shoulder issues which hampered his speed last year, but fully fit, he has shown that he can motor over 40m. It's Hiku that concerns me the most; he is not even deceptively quick, he is simply slow.

Snake
Gutherson
Lyon
Matai
Taufua/Blair/Trbo

I think we have enough speed there. You also have to remember that we finished equal first this year, and went within 1 point of a preliminary final with a horrendous injury toll, so it's not as though sweeping changes are necessary.

Blair is the man on the wing for mine. He's tall and takes the kicks that Horhey shuts his eyes on. He may not have blinding speed but he finds the line. His size make him another Forward with the all run meters bringing the ball back.

Gutherson may not have blistering speed, but he did enough this year to warrant a spot on the wing.

I have Hiku playing fullback with Snake moving on.

It may not be the quickest back 3 in the comp, but its pretty tall and strong all the same.

Cliffy said:
Blair is the man on the wing for mine. He's tall and takes the kicks that Horhey shuts his eyes on. He may not have blinding speed but he finds the line. His size make him another Forward with the all run meters bringing the ball back.

Gutherson may not have blistering speed, but he did enough this year to warrant a spot on the wing.

It may not be the quickest back 3 in the comp, but its pretty tall and strong all the same.

I think you'll find Snake will be around next year. I also like Blair, and I think you'll find he can motor over the first 40m. He is big and powerful and I recall seeing him in some space for the Eels a while back and certainly wasn't crawling.

Cliffy said:

Hiku has the least powerful run I've ever seen

He will not be a fullback

cherry_poppins said:
Cliffy said:

Hiku has the least powerful run I've ever seen

He will not be a fullback

Agree, best position for him is centre.

Gutho to fullback ( if no Snake)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8