Trial numero uno.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
What's with only one trial match this year ?
Has cotton wooling potential injured stars finally won out versus good old fashioned match fitness ?
Is this one of Dessies's scientifically studied conclusions or just a plain and simple protecting one's invested products ?
To be honest, I am pretty impartial either way ,just wondering everyone else's thoughts ??

When is the trial [ Probably or presumably, a week after the 9 "s ] ? Usually when there has been two trial matches for Manly , there are a heap of non established players who are given a run in the first two quarters at least , then in the 2 nd trial game , close to a full strength side available . For one trial match only , one would also assume close to a full strength side selected then . Maybe Des and the coaching staff will view the 9 "s as some type of a guide for some of the non settled season starting positions but these would be limited. The training drills are pretty full on in any case and there are some fairly settled combinations now so trial match fitness considerations may be less of a priority .

When is the trial [ Probably or presumably, a week after the 9 "s ] ? Usually when there has been two trial matches for Manly , there are a heap of non established players who are given a run in the first two quarters at least , then in the 2 nd trial game , close to a full strength side available . For one trial match only , one would also assume close to a full strength side selected then . Maybe Des and the coaching staff will view the 9 "s as some type of a guide for some of the non settled season starting positions but these would be limited. The training drills are pretty full on in any case and there are some fairly settled combinations now so trial match fitness considerations may be less of a priority .
In terms of combinations , i had better qualify that in regard to our no 9 and spine issues right now

Back in the mid 90’s our high school teams would play 3 trials in house with A’s vs B’s.
It was a true game each tone we played with both teams giving it a petty fair go. Maybe this is what Des will do with our teams.

Back in the mid 90’s our high school teams would play 3 trials in house with A’s vs B’s.
It was a true game each tone we played with both teams giving it a petty fair go. Maybe this is what Des will do with our teams.
There is plenty of talent in the lower grades this year and plenty who would want to prove themselves, without going overboard like some reserve players seem to do when they get a shot against NRL opposition.

It will be like the NFL soon where the trials are a total waste of time or non existent. I don't care how much you train against "opposition" in training runs - nothing but nothing replaces going up against a real defence or a real attack. You can simulate all you like but it is not even close to the same. This is the reason why we get totally crap games till about round 6 when teams finally get in some sort of rhythm. Today's players really are cotton wool babies - no wonder the huge increase in pec and bicep and other injuries. Players need to be battle hardened. Imagine the 78 Manly side saying oh we can't play trials - we might get hurt lol lol. And lets not bleat out that today they are better athletes and need protecting because they train more training etc - those guys in 78 worked as say garbos or plumbers or electricians etc during the day and then went to training. The difference is the hardness and toughness between the ears and the heart. Sorry but these guys today wouldn't be eligible to carry Igor's bootlaces.

Bring back the Wills Cup pre season. Manly played 3 games every year.

l_rugby%20league%20news%201970%202014%20(8).jpeg

It will be like the NFL soon where the trials are a total waste of time or non existent. I don't care how much you train against "opposition" in training runs - nothing but nothing replaces going up against a real defence or a real attack. You can simulate all you like but it is not even close to the same. This is the reason why we get totally crap games till about round 6 when teams finally get in some sort of rhythm. Today's players really are cotton wool babies - no wonder the huge increase in pec and bicep and other injuries. Players need to be battle hardened. Imagine the 78 Manly side saying oh we can't play trials - we might get hurt lol lol. And lets not bleat out that today they are better athletes and need protecting because they train more training etc - those guys in 78 worked as say garbos or plumbers or electricians etc during the day and then went to training. The difference is the hardness and toughness between the ears and the heart. Sorry but these guys today wouldn't be eligible to carry Igor's bootlaces.
True to some extent, but back then your average forward weighed significantly less than the average winger does these days. The sheer force of being hit by 110kg of human running at 11 secs per 100m does a hell of a lot more damage than they did in the 70s, when props were 90-100kg, and smoked and drank after training to boot.

I agree they were naturally tougher - Cartwright, Dugan etc would have been laughed off the field back then. They had to be tougher, there was nowhere to hide out there. But your tough guys like Igor were carved out of stone, rather than gym-sculpted monsters that we get these days.

And the legend Noel Cleal used to be my garbo...what a human he was/is. True Aussie legend.

I'm rambling a bit. Been off the booze all week but crumbled tonight.

Lets be real. Current NRL players are bigger, fitter and stronger than players of previous eras. They are also now full time professionals. The players are worked much harder during the off season and they don't need trial matches for fitness reasons. Nowadays trial matches are good opportunity to give new and up coming talent a chance to impress and to develop combinations between existing players and new signings. I am pleased that our boys only have the one trial match. It was a long season last year both local and international.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8