TPA Article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

eaglebuzz

Bencher
The club that orchestrated the biggest systematic rort of the cap that the game has ever seen still pays the most in TPAs. What a shock.

This blatant favouritism by the NRL to try to establish a team in probably the most disinterested and undeserving city in the whole country is sickening. Even after more than a decade of on field success from cap-rorting and rule bending they are still a joke in their own city.

It's enough to make me want to give up being an NRL fan.

MadMarcus

Toovey for NRL CEO
This sums it up:

"But, if a wealthy club director, plays a golf game with a prospective recruit and bets him $100,000 he can't sink a 5cm putt, there is nothing the NRL can do."

Yes, there's a rumour that Uncle Nick is a mad keen golfer and punter, but notoriously bad at both...

Not sure where I heard that - may have been in here...

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
I am business mates with one of the Rorters board members and he has told me first hand that they donate money by various means that goes unseen. This was after his 2nd bottle of red and he knows I’m I Manly fan so maybe he was just riling me up but he seemed pretty honest.
He is a new board member and has been told this is how we do it here by uncle Nick.
I will be attending the Manly Rorters games with him this year so will find out more hopefully.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This sums it up:

"But, if a wealthy club director, plays a golf game with a prospective recruit and bets him $100,000 he can't sink a 5cm putt, there is nothing the NRL can do."

So that's where we go wrong; some teams pay 100k for a sunk putt and all Jake T gets is pushed into a pond! (a sunk prop)

Snake

Snake's Alive!
It's not as simple as you lot are making out.

I too question how the Roosters have been able to sign Cronk, Tedesco and re-sign Cordner on 800k season with the star studded line up they already possess.

But...

The NRL cannot punish a club for a crime in which they have no evidence. There is nothing stopping a club from putting a player in at 600k under the cap before propping that up outside of both the salary cap and the TPA's. OK, the NRL can publish the TPA's but that doesn't mean it's an accurate figure.

Expecting that changes to the TPAs are going to fix the problem is like expecting the mafia to stop dealing in organise crime because the Police told them they are not allowed to do it.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member

I too question how the Roosters have been able to sign Cronk, Tedesco and re-sign Cordner on 800k season with the star studded line up they already possess.

But...

The NRL cannot punish a club for a crime in which they have no evidence. There is nothing stopping a club from putting a player in at 600k under the cap before propping that up outside of both the salary cap and the TPA's. OK, the NRL can publish the TPA's but that doesn't mean it's an accurate figure.

Expecting that changes to the TPAs are going to fix the problem is like expecting the mafia to stop dealing in organise crime because the Police told them they are not allowed to do it.

To me, based on money the system is irreparably broken as there’s so many ways to get money or the equivalent of into someone’s pocket.

Betting accounts
Gifts
Credits at certain stores
Gift Cards

The list goes on and on, but a “ points system” aimed at spreading the talent more fairly cannot be rorted.

So, pay whatever you want for Cameron Smith but you can only have say 1 or 2 Australian / State of Origin reps.

Each player to be graded under a system that cannot be rorted , all based on rep appearances , number of games , rookies etc etc.

Say 100 points per 30 players , with the top worth say 20 points and the bottom rookie 1 point ( and whatever in the middle).

Would need to be tweaked and the above’s not perfect but that means if the Storm want to pay Smith 5 Million a year they can do so.

The cap remains the same, unlimited TPA’s if needed, but doesn’t matter how much money you have if you don’t have the points “ bad luck”.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers

And be 700 under the cap.

manlyfan76

Major Leauge Baseball has a tax not a cap. It is an interesting system that traditionally led to massive deals and team payrolls. But this is changing.
From wiki:
Major League Baseball (luxury tax)Edit
Main article: Major League Baseball Luxury Tax
Instead of a salary cap, Major League Baseball implements a luxury tax (also called a competitive balance tax), an arrangement in which teams whose total payroll exceeds a certain figure (determined annually) are taxed on the excess amount in order to discourage large market teams from having a substantially higher payroll than the rest of the league. The tax is paid to the league, which then puts the money into its industry-growth fund.[27][28]

A team that goes over the luxury tax threshold for the first time in a five-year period pays a penalty of 22.5% of the amount they were over the threshold, second-time violators pay a 30% penalty, and teams that exceed the limit three or more times pay a 50% penalty

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
Major Leauge Baseball has a tax not a cap. It is an interesting system that traditionally led to massive deals and team payrolls. But this is changing.
From wiki:
Instead of a salary cap, Major League Baseball implements a luxury tax (also called a competitive balance tax), an arrangement in which teams whose total payroll exceeds a certain figure (determined annually) are taxed on the excess amount in order to discourage large market teams from having a substantially higher payroll than the rest of the league. The tax is paid to the league, which then puts the money into its industry-growth fund.[27][28]

A team that goes over the luxury tax threshold for the first time in a five-year period pays a penalty of 22.5% of the amount they were over the threshold, second-time violators pay a 30% penalty, and teams that exceed the limit three or more times pay a 50% penalty
Nice idea. Does it work? It still won't stop the under-the-table payments.

The Who

Journey Man
From wiki:

Yes. I've heard of this system. But how does it compensate for TPAs?
I think Mark's suggestion of a points system is more straightforward. It doesn't catch TPA's either, but is more transparent.
I see it working at the start of each season, where the top 30 players can't exceed a set total points ie. 1 point for a rookie, 2 points for an NRL player, 3 points for a SOO representative, 4 player for an international.
There would still have to be a salary cap, but at least we'd be able to evaluate the various rosters.

manlyfan76

manlyfan76

Yes. I've heard of this system. But how does it compensate for TPAs?
I think Mark's suggestion of a points system is more straightforward. It doesn't catch TPA's either, but is more transparent.
I see it working at the start of each season, where the top 30 players can't exceed a set total points ie. 1 point for a rookie, 2 points for an NRL player, 3 points for a SOO representative, 4 player for an international.
There would still have to be a salary cap, but at least we'd be able to evaluate the various rosters.
Revenue for all of mlb is ten billion dollars per year. US.
Tpa is not needed because the club plays the player whatever they want. But if the club wants to spend over the cap then they pay a tax.
They dont like tax so many scramble to get under it.

Shoe1

Journey Man
I think having a tpa paid by bananas is dodgy. I mean give us a break, “bananas” think that Slater will help sell more of them? It has to be a rort, money being laundered through the storm somehow.

Next they’ll have us believe that apples, roses and water are sponsoring players.

How about eggs? Surely eggs would like to associate themselves with a storm player.

But seriously, I cannot believe that the storm association would help move any product. They have practically no fans in Victoria, we all hate them in NSW, and possibly a few queenslanders like the origin players. Not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, objectively.

It has to be a scam. Or the banana people are total idiots.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yes the banana people are total idiots.
giphy.gif

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I think having a tpa paid by bananas is dodgy. I mean give us a break, “bananas” think that Slater will help sell more of them? It has to be a rort, money being laundered through the storm somehow.

Next they’ll have us believe that apples, roses and water are sponsoring players.

How about eggs? Surely eggs would like to associate themselves with a storm player.

But seriously, I cannot believe that the storm association would help move any product. They have practically no fans in Victoria, we all hate them in NSW, and possibly a few queenslanders like the origin players. Not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, objectively.

Billy is from NQ, where do you think most of Australia’s bananas come from?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16