Toronto Wolfpack: Out for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I absolutely love your work on this @globaleagle

I may have missed it - but do you actually get a chance to attend in person, or are you watching live on TV over there? (I know there has only been 1 game this season at home so far)

I am really impressed with the vision of the owners. Literally almost the same crowd as Brookie oval last Sunday.... thats so good.

I honestly feel like these guys are my #2 team now.

How do we start working on a pre-season meeting between the two? What about a Silvertails pre-season tour to Canada? Who's with me???? :airplane::fist:

I absolutely love your work on this @globaleagle

I may have missed it - but do you actually get a chance to attend in person, or are you watching live on TV over there? (I know there has only been 1 game this season at home so far)

I am really impressed with the vision of the owners. Literally almost the same crowd as Brookie oval last Sunday.... thats so good.

I honestly feel like these guys are my #2 team now.

How do we start working on a pre-season meeting between the two? What about a Silvertails pre-season tour to Canada? Who's with me???? :airplane::fist:

Watch it?

Watch it!?!?!?!

Who do you think plays in the second row??????

Not me - are you crazy?! lol, sorry.

I have yet had the pleasure to watch a game live. I live on the other side of the country and as the second largest country in the world (take that aust!) it's a bit of a slog. Plus I have no friends so it'd be a lonely trip.
Though probably next season, as I'd like to visit the east coast. Maybe I should go this year while they are thumping most teams. If they get into superleague it's going to be a lot tougher.

That said, games are live on tv over here and even when they play in England it's telecast too. I sometimes stream for free on the cbc website. The only game that wasn't covered was when they played in France, and that wasn't from lack of trying.

Gotta love the owners.
1) He's an Aussie
2) He's a billionaire
3) He knows it is important to let the club run themselves without owner interference. @Woodsie will like that one.

They bust their butts to put on a good show for the fans especially when you consider the National sport is 'ice' hockey and Canada is better at union than league. So I agree with you, their vision is very good (backed up with $$$$).

They want to get a Team in Ottawa and another one in New York. (Note: New York is a state and a city for those who have never looked at a map. lol)

The crowd last week was a record for the 'championship' league...ever!

To make it easier for the season, Toronto play (something like) the first 11 rounds in England / France and then the rest of the season in Canada. I think the owner pays for the oppositions flights and accommodation as well. (It's good to be a billionaire).

Canada is pretty welcoming, so come on over (just don't interupt the hockey!).

Thanks for the comments about the games, I'm still trying to refine them. I feel they may be a bit long (like this post) and any way, constant tweaking. (Not twerking).

Thanks again. It's nice to hear people read them. :)

Wolfpack beer garden!

180609-%40MathewTsang_0501.jpg

Don't apologise for the length mate - its great reading, and gives a true sense of what is going on. You have a great style.... I can;t wait to see what the goal kicker does next week!

A fascinating read re: the owner. I find people like that (with vision and balls + money to back themselves) as impressive characters. His ability to stay 'out of the way' is truly the most impressive part.

Who'd have thought that driving a strong matchday/fan experience would help drive momentum for the team hey? He clearly doesn't know Zorba - he needs to get on msg with the NRL!

But in all seriousness, what a massive market to open up. If (MASSIVE IF) they can get into Superleague and thrown some money at recuitment/depth, they could be a real fairytale story. and we know how much everyone lvoes a winner.

For it to succeed long term they need to be putting money into grass roots rugby league in North America, diluting the player pool of British players (which is already low on quantity) isn't progressing the game one bit. Unless they start to become self sufficient it will be yet another failed experiment

GE does this Aussie billionaire have a few millions from his tea fund to use on the sea eagles?

GE does this Aussie billionaire have a few millions from his tea fund to use on the sea eagles?

Like most billionaires...yes he does, but probably no he wont.

I was watching an interview between Richard Branson and Stephen Colbert when he hosted the 'colbert report' and Stephen said "You're a billionaire, why can't you just write me a cheque for a million dollars?"
Branson answered: "I could, and if you can honestly tell me that there is no other organisation nor person in the world that could use the money more than you, I'll write the cheque for you now."
I don't think I've ever seen a more conflicted human on tv than Stephen at that moment. (lol)

Anyway. The Wolfpack also own a stake in the London Skolars so he may be 'sports busy.'

Who is the two-headed-girl signing an autograph?

That's no two head, that's my wife! :(

Kidding, Ashton Sims says hi.

With regard to growing the game, here a link to an interesting article:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2018/12/07/People-and-Pop-Culture/Hangin-With

On the club's impact on youth rugby in Toronto ...
Argyle: We're teamed up with Rugby Ontario. This year, about 100,000 kids have had a rugby ball in their hands. That's a lot. Our goal with our sponsors is to drive that number to about 200,000 kids a year over the next two years. The kids are able to see, up close, a professional outcome, and to meet the players. Our players meet and greet and walk around the stadium after every match, as do the visiting players.

Ok, it's easier to just read the article than to keep quoting it.

It's not easy to grow any game nor is it fair to hang the responsibility on growing the game on one club when the game has got their own administrators and clubs over 100 years old, and said club is yet to even be in the top tier league! There's also sims, Lussick, McCrone, Leutele, Thompson all from the nrl and even the failed coal train Taylor and moi moi.

But, it's an important question.
As quoted above, ego's have been put aside and the wolfpack have teamed up with rugby union to get footy balls into kids hands. It's great initiative. If, as expected there's a second league team in Canada soon (Ottawa) and even one in New York, then players from North America can see a pathway to the big time. There are footy leagues in North America currently, but there was no real pathway for players unless they moved to England or Australia. Most would head Union's way (for Canadians) as at least they know the game. (Interestingly, it is mainly a sport girls play in schools as the guys all play hockey and cfl). So locally grown talent can see a way.

Link regarding the 'second' team.

https://www.burnabynow.com/wolfpack...ortium-that-has-bought-hemel-stags-1.23668259

It has to be done properly, and I think Mr Argyle wants to do so. I think he gets that the wolfpack run the real risk of being despised in the UK.
Fans of struggling teams see this well financed team come on board, have a host of good players, etc. (The new Manly?)
It'd be easy for the Wolfpack just to play to win and ignore everything else. I think, based on what's happened so far (in Canada) and the work they are doing, it would be unfair to say they don't care about the health of the game as a whole.

Is this grassroots assistance? Getting footy balls into kids hands, you could say yes. Is it pumping money into local comps or funding something like 'footy for kids' - probably not...yet. The club is not yet 3 years old and to compare, after 100 years the nrl are accused of ignoring grass roots footy (and Toronto aren't the administration, remember).

Plus not everything goes to plan... Toronto lost the million pound game and didn't get promoted to super-league last year!

Anyway... what do I know?

aveaniceday

:)

Toronto Wolfpack (1) v Bradford Bulls (4)
At Lamport stadium.... Canada!

It should be a cracker of a game today being 1 v 4. The optimist in me says that a good battle early with fitness being the deciding factor and Toronto running away with the game in the end. However, if Toronto have that attitude themselves.... they're going to have a bad day.

Notes: Crowd favourite winger Liam Kay, the Irish international returns after a long lay off with a shoulder injury; and as he had a 100% strike rate (26 tries, 26 matches) we're all looking forward to some Kay magic.

The Bulls halfback is a late withdrawal as he's a wuss. Kidding, he's sick. This will make things much tougher (unless you're Manly).
Bulls forward "Crossley" was in the inaugural Toronto team. Nicknamed Shrek, he is a big, big unit!

Toronto's first string hooker, Beswick is back in place of Wallace and Uh oh... that means the kicking reverts to.... Gaz O'Brien, Toronto's classy fullback and kicking whipping boy of globaleagle.

Today is Ladies day and I have to say, Toronto work very hard at putting on a good game day experience. Ex-NRL CEO Dave Smith could have done worse in asking these guys what's up. (In fact he did do worse, a lot worse.)

What will the National Anthems' singer bring us today? It's always a fun lottery.
Today we get a nice lady singing mainly in tune. But for the English National Anthem she is standing there reading the lyrics off her iphone! Lol.
It's an interesting reflection on the instant and disposable influences on today's Society. The subtext of dichotomy between highly professional athletes and the "can't be bothered learning 8 lines of a song" shows us the...... wait shut the hell up ge, there's a game on!

GAME ON!

Bulls receive and it's a smooth no-frills first set.
Toronto then receive a penalty when Liam Kay cops a high one (he was falling though...)
Bulls showing good defence, they are here to play.

5th Min: Toronto held up over the try line.
Basic but good play from Bradford. Mistake free, roll through the tackles and kick for touch.

8th Min: Toronto forward, Dixon breaks through and heads towards the line but being a forward he slips over trying to step inside and has hurt his knee! Everyone blames Brookie oval but when Dixon plays on they change to now say how tough he is.

12th Min: Try Toronto! Bulls change their tactics, kick early and not all that deep. Surely that wont work? It doesn't. The next Toronto set, the balls is swung left, Leutele makes a barnstorming run, ball is swung right and winger Rawsthorne scores in the right corner. (Note: this was Rawsthorne's third good chance at scoring a try, but he bombed the first two.)

"Kicker" O'Brien lines the conversion on the right hand side line, runs in, kicks and.... it sails past the wrong side of the right upright! No one gasps in surprise! 4-0 Toronto.

Coaches always want a good set following a try and Toronto aim to please. They aim, but throw a forward pass and stuff it all up.

19th Min: Ashton Sims is on. Darcy Lussick started todays game (his third start). Toronto bundle Bradford over the sideline and a scrum ensues.

21st Min: Try Toronto! From the 10 metre line, Toronto put on the same play that got them their first try and Rawsthorne scores in the corner once more (uh oh). O'Brien makes the necessary adjustments to his kicking and.... it sails past the wrong side of the left upright this time! 8-0 Toronto.

Wolfpack forwards are making easy metres. They are happy to offload and swing the ball wide while Bradford are playing a much more compact game. I think Bradford will need to change their style here and try a few things.

26th Min: Bulls knock on 12 metres out from their own line. Two tackles later, Toronto are held up over the try line.

27th Min: Try Toronto! Forward Sidlow scores one tackle after the 'held up' call. He was bought from the Bulls two years ago and would no doubt enjoy that try, just a little more than usual. Plus it was next to the posts so... O'Brien converts and Canada proclaims a national holiday! 14-0 Toronto.

From the re-start O'Brien knocks on. Canada cancels the national holiday and O'Brien is arrested. Goal line drop out (which does go 60 meters).

32nd Min: Toronto knock on 25 meters out from their line. (sigh)

33rd Min: Try Bradford! Jamaican international (and huge forward) Peltier carries three tacklers over the the try line and scores next to the post! 14-6 Toronto.

36th Min: Try Bradford! How easy is it? Very! After the re-start Bradford receive a penalty and then a pass back across the ruck opens up Toronto. Josh McCrone has a bad one on one miss and the try line beckons. Picture Jake T passing back inside to Tom T. 14 -10 becomes 14-12 because some footy people can kick footy balls!

Bradford have been playing 'free-er' from their one out compact style, to throwing the ball around. Hey I said they should do that! Just up there *points*.

Half Time 14-12

Maybe after the early tries Toronto were lulled into a false sense of awesomeness. However I can almost hear the coach being cranky from here.
If all Toronto's tries were converted, the lead would be 6 (just sayin').

As it was last week, Toronto's completion percentage was just 76 compared with Bradford's 94! It's just not good enough for Toronto and super league will thump them for it. (I've said this before).

Second Half!

Bradford surprisingly go for a short kick off. The ball only just travels 10 metres, and Toronto gather it.

Toronto have come out firing and are held up over the try line. They earn a repeat set but the 5th tackle option is rubbish. They then give away a penalty just to test how annoyed the coach can really get on Monday.

Bradford have gone back to their simple, mistake free play then kick into touch. I think this is to nullify Toronto's speed, get a rest, and set their defence. It worked for awhile in the first half but you can't do a whole half of it.
Toronto keep swinging the ball wide.

48th Min: My recording froze! Restart and fast forward back to the 48th minute and all seems well (phew).
Toronto receives a penalty as a tackled Bulls player just got up and started running again. It was weird and I hope this league has concussion protocols.
In the next set, Toronto are held up over the try line (again, like wtf?) - 4th time?
Bulls do a goal line drop out and....

52nd Min: Toronto are held up over the try line!!! Ahhhhhh. Toronto reward Bradford's hard work and great defence by throwing a pass forward. Nice!

56th Min: Try Toronto! First points for Toronto in thirty minutes! The wolf-pack go to the left hand side and finish with the old centre to winger, back to the centre. (I actually typed outside centre first because I am 900 years old!) Try to Leutele about halfway between the posts and the sideline so there's a chance of a conversion. Chance taken! 20-12 to Toronto.

60th Min: Big hit by Darcy Lussick. That's all, just thought it was worth a mention.

63rd Min: Try Toronto! Good lead up work is followed by O'Brien cutting through and handing off to Chase Stanley who needs about 3 steps and he's over (still hurts his knee though - nothing major.) This try is about halfway between the right hand sideline and the posts. (Opposite of the last try). A good kick by O'Brien converts the try. 26-12 to Toronto.

66th Min: Try Toronto! Lussick has a great bust through the line, palms off one and flick passes to his right into the waiting hands of O'Brien. He's smiling away and scores under the posts. Great effort Darcy, he looks happy and buggered, lol. That's three tries in ten minutes.
Yep, Bradford has finally run out of puff, like Darcy. A valiant effort though. Remember the rule? Always convert your own tries! 32-12 Toronto.

71st Min: Try Bradford! A great winger's effort by Grant who 'plants' the ball down with two Toronto players trying to push him over the sideline. The kick attempt from the sideline is so bad the broadcaster doesn't bother to show it. Instead we see a ball bobbling no where near the posts. 32 - 16 Toronto.

79th Min: Try Toronto! Bradford drop the ball and Toronto swoops. Mellor goes left and kicks through for Kay who does a superman dive and...scores!!! Liam Kay scores in his return match and is still at 100% this season! 1 try from 1 match. He has been out since last August and is very happy to be back and scoring. The kick is to be taken form the left hand sideline. Will it be converted? Ah hahaha, we're so funny. No chance. But it was a good attempt and today Gaz wasn't too far off his kicks (in case he reads this).

Full time score: Toronto 36 defeat Bradford 16.

Post game stuff:
Liam Kay is actually a product of the Bradford academy and I bet they wish they kept him.

Stats:
Possession Toronto: 53% to Bradford 47%
Completion rate percentage: Toronto 81 (much better) and Bradford 84.
Penalties 2 each! Four penalties in the whole game!!! Take note NRL.
Points (ladder) Toronto 24, Bradford 16.

Attendance: 8363. (Awesome).

Interviews with some of the Bradford players are saying how amazing the game day atmosphere is. One said "I'm a cynical northern bastard and thought it was all over hyped when others told me how good it was, but it was absolutely amazing. I hope I can drag my Dad away from the beer tents!" - Noice!

NEXT WEEK.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Toronto take on second place Toulouse. It's first v second! Toulouse are the only team to have beaten Toronto this year. The game is at Blackpool (UK).

In fact, it is the summer bash so all games are at Blackpool. This is where the nrl got their 'magic round' idea from.

So, there we have it. Bradford went in with a game plan but Toronto sometimes force those plans to be thrown out the window. The Bulls were ground down and the last 20 minutes or so they were done. A brave effort though, Toronto will be better for it. A much better second half by Toronto who decided to hang on to the ball and really increase their completion rate.

Thanks for reading. :)

SBW to follow the money?

SONNY BILL’S NEW SUITORS

Could Sonny Bill Williams bypass a rugby league farewell in Australia and head to the Super League?

There’s already been talk of Williams signing with promotion hopefuls Toronto Wolfpack, with owner David Argyle telling foxsports.com.au SBW joining the Canadian club would be “bigger than Beckham”.

But now it has emerged that Williams is receiving interest from another club overseas.

According to League Weekly, the Dragons want to bring the 33-year-old back to the South of France where he enjoyed a stint with union side Toulon.

It helps that head coach Steve McNamara knows Williams well from his days as assistant of the Sydney Roosters.

Great to see Toronto Wolfpack annihilate the No 2 side Toulouse 42-14 seven tries to two over night and move to six points clear of the pack. Where's our report GlobalEagle.

Great to see Toronto Wolfpack annihilate the No 2 side Toulouse 42-14 seven tries to two over night and move to six points clear of the pack. Where's our report GlobalEagle.

Hi Mr Bear,
In fact the first I saw of the result was reading this.

I didn't see the game as I'm on a classified mission for various govt's (008 style, 007 is soooo last century) and the internet is sketchy.

My apologies :(

Oh and forget you read the classified bit.

As it's rubbish :)

Hi Mr Bear,
In fact the first I saw of the result was reading this.

I didn't see the game as I'm on a classified mission for various govt's (008 style, 007 is soooo last century) and the internet is sketchy.

My apologies :(

Oh and forget you read the classified bit.

As it's rubbish :)

Just earned yourself a new name. The Eagle Spy Master. Best wishes James.

TORONTO'S EIGHTH-SUCCESSIVE WIN LEAVES THEM WELL CLEAR AT THE TOP OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP.
Toronto overcame Toulouse 42-14 in game one of Summer Bash in Blackpool

The win puts Toronto six points clear at the top of the Betfred Championship table after just one defeat in 14 games.

It was the eighth straight win for the Wolfpack, who put more distance between themselves and second-placed Toulouse.

Chase Stanley scored three tries for Toronto, with Gareth O'Brien, Josh McCrone, Darcy Lussick and Chase Stanley all scoring one each.

The Wolfpack led 22-2 at half time.

Joe Bretherton scored Toulouse's first early in the second half and Rhys Curran added a consolation on the final whistle.

TORONTO CONTINUE TO SMASH THEIR CHALLENGERS FOR THE TITLE (Sea Eagles 2nd Team ?)

This time its Sheffield, which was coming third in the comp. Toronto just smashed them 42-16 that being 8 tries to 3. In fact they led 28-0 after 35 minutes and seemingly slackened off in the second half. They are now 6 points clear of second place Toulouse and 10 points clear of the next in line. With 14 wins from 15 matches and the only loss an aberration against Toulouse they seem well on the way to winning this comp

TORONTO CONTINUE TO SMASH THEIR CHALLENGERS FOR THE TITLE (Sea Eagles 2nd Team ?)

This time its Sheffield, which was coming third in the comp. Toronto just smashed them 42-16 that being 8 tries to 3. In fact they led 28-0 after 35 minutes and seemingly slackened off in the second half. They are now 6 points clear of second place Toulouse and 10 points clear of the next in line. With 14 wins from 15 matches and the only loss an aberration against Toulouse they seem well on the way to winning this comp
Can we swap them for the Blacktown Workers?

THANK YOU!

I see some Wolfpack tries were converted which means Wallace was kicking and not O'Brien!

(again, didn't see the game...still trekking aboooot)

THANK YOU!

I see some Wolfpack tries were converted which means Wallace was kicking and not O'Brien!

(again, didn't see the game...still trekking aboooot)

Looking forward to your reports when you've finished all that cloak and dagger stuff GE. You really need to get your priorities right there GE. Footy first, then that 007 stuff@:cool::rofl:

Looking forward to your reports when you've finished all that cloak and dagger stuff GE. You really need to get your priorities right there GE. Footy first, then that 007 stuff@:cool::rofl:

Alllllmost done.

*sigh*

Thanks to the Canada Rugby League Association (CRLA), Toronto Wolfpack fans can support the growth of Rugby League in Canada and watch a month of NRL, including the marquee State of Origin, for free through Watch NRL.

Signing up to Watch NRL and using the code TRYWATCH before May 27th will not only guarantee you one month free viewing, but will also see 20% of the subscription amount supporting the CRLA and its push to grow the game of Rugby League in Canada.

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/watch-nrl-special-offer/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inaugural Americas Rugby League Nines Tournament A Triumph
23/05/2019

The inaugural Rugby League Americas Nines tournament was held at Lamport Stadium on Saturday afternoon and has been labelled a triumph. Teams from the United States, Canada, Jamaica and Latin America took part in the tournament, with the U.S. coming out on top in an exciting final matchup against Canada, with the scoreboard reading 20-8.

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/inaugural-americas-rugby-league-nines-tournament-a-triumph/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Plume Joins the Pack
24/05/2019

Toronto Wolfpack are excited to announce the signing of Chris Plume as an Assistant Coach, effective immediately. Plume will reunite with Head Coach Brian McDermott after the pair spent several years working together in the Super League with Leeds Rhinos.

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/chris-plume-joins-the-pack/

:)

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8