Toronto Wolfpack: Out for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Excellent summary GE and don't sell yourself down or were you just wanting someone to say it WAS an intelligent wrap up. OK, it was an intelligent wrap up. Thanks mate because it seems Toronto has become Sea Eagle Supporter's adopted favourite kin. Hope they make the SuperLeague for next year.

Thank you and boy oh boy oh boy... I hope they do make it. I can't help thinking they were all a bit shocked not making it last year. They certainly should have but it taught them that 'deserves has nothing to do with it" -(clint eastwood)

As for the other.. meh, not only is it a good disclaimer, but it's just something ya say!

Toronto Wolfpack v Sheffield Eagles
After two weeks off, Toronto finally got back onto the field (well thin artificial grass over concrete) with a match against the third placed Eagles.
Over the last few weeks it has usually been the case that Toronto starts the game in second place (behind Toulouse) but then reverts back into first after a win. So I guess it was technically 2nd v 3rd this morning!

Game notes:

A back and forth start until the 10th minute when Toronto ran a play on the 5th tackle, and Chase Stanley scored in the right hand corner. It was Toronto's first real attacking chance.
Did Gaz O'brien do any kicking practice in the time off? Of course not. Conversion missed. 4-0 Toronto.

Scoring teams all want a good set after the re-start but the wolfpack didn't deliver, dropping the ball on the first tackle.

Sheffield ran a play on the last but good defence kept them out.

17th minute mark: Toronto makes a good break upfield but O'brien gets held up over the line, says the ref.
Replays show the ball was clearly grounded and a try should have been awarded but the ref decided not to use the video ref and the players just got on with it.

On the 5th, Toronto ran a play swinging the ball from right to left and Matty Russell scores just inside the left hand sideline.
O'brien misses the conversion (I can't even keep joking about this) and the score is now 8-0 for Toronto.

Again Toronto drop the ball from the kick off. It's a bit windy but no excuses for that one.

2 tackles later a good short ball to Davies has him over the line untouched. Almost right in front but the conversion was somehow missed! Must have been to the Reynolds school of kicking (yesterday only). 8-4 Toronto v Sheffield

Over the next sequence of plays it's all Sheffield camped on Toronto's line; though three times Sheffield run the ball on the last for no result. We're all surprised they don't try for a repeat set.

Andy Ackers of Toronto has given away 3 penalties so far.
Lussick puts on a big, legal hit and amazingly doesn't get penalised. He's having a good game.

Still on Toronto's line, Sheffield finally go for a 5th tackle grubber...and Chase Stanley knocks on.
Toronto are doing a lot of
unnecessary defence.
Sheffield then lose the ball in the following set. (Definitely assisted, but missed by the ref).

Toronto then get a relieving penalty only to not find touch, it's like they want to tackle all afternoon.

34-36 mins:
Penalty for Toronto (Sheffield stripping the ball)

Failed intercept attempt by Sheffield
Try Toronto to Olbinson (ex widnes)
O'Brien actually converts as it wasn't on the sideline! 14-4 Toronto

Toronto actually catch the ball after the re-start and march easily up field, 80 metres in 5 tackles. Sheffield knock on trying to defuse the kick.
Two tackles later Ackers does the ole hooker 'dummy and go' near the line and it works! Try!

Two tries in four mins and somehow O'brien misses the easy conversion (probably because one a half is enough, time to rest on those laurels).

Halftime 18-4

Completion percentages - Toronto 61% Sheffield 72% (that's kinda ugly in anyone's language).

Second half.

3 mins in and a Leutele intercept leads to a try and with a new kicker (Wallace) the try is converted! 24-4

I stepped outside for a bit and Sheffield scored and converted (sorry). 24-10

A relieving penalty for Toronto and a march upfield leads to another Toronto try to winger Matty Russell. New kicker (Wallace) has a miss.

Toronto 28-10

The game goes back and forth for awhile. Sheffield need to be 100% to be good, Toronto only seem to have to be 85% to match them.

lol, gotta love the commentators continually saying how bad Toronto is, even with an 18 point lead and 7 mins to go. Especially the lady who can definitely see a few tries to Sheffield before this game is over.

Good old tired useless Toronto then go 100 metres to score (Blake Wallace) under the post. Blake did some deft swerves and steps and left the fullback grasping at air and all he could do was smile ruefully. He got a pat from a Toronto forward as consolation.
Wallace converts his own try. 34-10 Toronto 76th Minute.

78th minute: Try! A last tackle grubber gets knocked on into Toronto forward Sidlow's hands who wont score an easier one.

Wallace converts. 40-10 Toronto

Game over. 8 tries to two. The most tries scored against Sheffield in one game this year.
Lussick played well and managed to hold his temper when face-rubbed for so long he got a penalty. Well done him!

60-40 possession, Toronto over Sheffield.

Terrible completion rates: 69% Toronto and 76% Sheffield. A sunny day, no excuses I'd think both coaches would be saying.

Official report here:

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/match-report-toronto-wolfpack-v-sheffield-eagles/

The ladder is here:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/championship/table

Next game: April 19th against the Barrow Raiders. (Then another one only 3 days later!!)

Thanks. :)

Down to page two already? You bloody ingrates! lol

Maybe a second team on it's way!!

Eric Perez is looking to ramp up the Battle of Ontario by bringing a pro rugby league team to Ottawa.

Perez, who helped bring the sport to North America via the Toronto Wolfpack, is part of a Canadian consortium that has acquired the Hemel Stags team.

Hemel withdrew from England’s third-tier League 1 for the 2019 season with an eye to returning in 2020. Perez’s plan is to install the team in Ottawa, playing out of TD Place Stadium.

“If everything goes well, 2020 kickoff,” Perez said in an interview.

“I just want to get the approval so we can get to work,” he added. “There’s plenty of work to do.”

He hopes to have “this whole process wrapped up at some point in April.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/5080093/...looking-to-bring-rugby-league-team-to-ottawa/

The RFL is also reviewing a separate application to launch a club in New York.

Damn east coasters get every friggen thing!

Most entertaining GE. Wolfpack marching on relentlessly. Perhaps they could relocate the Tits over there and get their replacement team in Ipswich or Perth. There you go Toddy, solved ya dilemma is 15 seconds. No Toddy, I’m not interested in an offer to work for you.

Wolfpack boss says expansion vital for NRL to avoid being left behind

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/14/wolfpack-boss-says-expansion-vital-for-nrl-to-avoid-being-left-behind/

Toronto Wolfpack founder and the man behind the bid for a second Canadian team, Eric Perez, believes the NRL could become a feeder to Super League within a decade unless the Telstra Premiership expands.

Perez, whose plan to relocate a team from London won the backing of a majority of UK clubs at a meeting in Salford on Thursday, told NRL.com that Super League could soon be played in markets totalling 100 million people with the inclusion of teams in Ottawa and New York.

In comparison, he said the NRL has a presence on the east coast of Australia and in New Zealand only.

The ARL Commission has ordered a detailed report on expansion by the end of the year but Perez said without teams in Perth, Adelaide and other new markets the NRL would risk being outstripped by Super League, as well as the AFL.

"It’s a time for globalisation and the era of small town clubs or cities divided by eight clubs should probably go with it," Perez said.

"The best English talent now goes to Australia but I think that if the RFL continues on this path that I have set out in North America there will be a time in 10 years - especially if the NRL doesn’t spread out from Sydney - that the NRL could be a feeder competition to the Super League because we have got bigger markets."

leuluai.jpg

Wigan Warriors playmaker Thomas Leuluai takes on the Roosters in the World Club Challenge.©NRL Photos
To gain entry into the third tier League One competition next season, as Wolfpack did in 2017, Perez proposes to relocate Hemel Stags from North London to Ottawa and he believes the NRL should encourage some of the eight Sydney-based clubs to move to Adelaide, Perth or other areas.

"I think that what the NRL needs to do is maybe shuffle around some of the clubs," Perez said.

"Adelaide and Perth are only going to grow and it may be time for a second Victorian team or a second New Zealand team as well."

The MLB model
Baseball used the relocation of teams to expand from a competition based in the north-east of the USA, with 10 franchises moving cities between 1953 and 1972.

The Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants successfully moved to California in 1958 to become the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants.

"The intensity with which these clubs were followed in New York was the same as, if not more than, rugby league clubs in Sydney and they still felt like there were too many teams in a city triple the size," Perez said.

"A place like Adelaide has got to woo one of these Sydney clubs over. As an individual club you might say, ‘we are safe in the Shire, we have got our fan base, we have been here for so long, why should we move'.

"The Coliseum was big at one time too, but they didn’t evolve and now they are gone."

wigan-team-1821031rc.jpg

The Wigan Warriors after taking on Hull FC at WIN Stadium in 2018.©NRL Photos
The future of broadcasting
While the NRL will consult with the likes of Nine and Fox Sports about the footprint for the Telstra Premiership in the next broadcast deal from 2023, Perez said major sporting bodies were now selling subscriptions for matches to fans.

He predicted most fans would soon stream matches via a subscription from the NRL and said expanding into new markets would increase audiences and therefore the revenue which delivers clubs their annual $13 million grants.

"If you control your own content people will buy it directly from you, especially the younger generations," Perez said.

"The NRL were early movers in this and if you get teams in Adelaide and Perth, that is a lot more people who will buy direct packages from the NRL. I think that is the only strategy.

"You could watch Cronulla versus Penrith but if I am in Adelaide I kind of don’t care. I want to see an Adelaide team. Australia is big enough that some of the clubs should take a flyer on it and do it."

cookd-1821721.jpg

Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook against the Wigan Warriors in 2018 at ANZ Stadium.©Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Player development
Perez said the establishment of teams in Perth and Adelaide would not only grow the NRL’s fan base but the number of people who play the game.

However, he believes that if the NRL does not expand now those markets will be left to the AFL for another generation, at least.

"If you open up new markets, you open up much more potential for the game and you create sustainability long term," he said.

"Not only will that bring more money because sponsors can see we are nationwide, but also young people will grow up thinking it’s cool.

"Right now there are 1.3 million people in Perth and soon it might be 2 million, so all of a sudden you could have been in this market but it is just all AFL because they are the ones who have taken the time and the money and the effort to build that market.

"If I am a seven-year old kid in Perth or Adelaide, I am going to idolise AFL players."

minichiellom-1821031rc.jpg

Hull FC forward Mark Minichiello against the Wigan Warriors at WIN Stadium in 2018.©Robb Cox/NRL Photos
The American dream
A meeting of UK clubs on Thursday voted to allow teams from Ottawa and New York into the League One competition in 2020.

The New York team will play at Red Bull Arena and has announced partnerships with Virgin Atlantic, Mastercard and Hilton Hotels, while ESPN+ has indicated interest in broadcasting matches in North America.

Perez is partnering with Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, which is involved with three other sporting franchises in the city, and he said a derby match between Ottawa – the capital of Ontario – and the state’s biggest city, Toronto, had enormous potential.

"You have a chance to open up a massive market like Ottawa, with 1.5 million people. It is a capital city and we are hungry for the sport," he said.

"Toronto Wolfpack opened the door [for league in Canada], but it hasn’t satisfied everyone. People want more."

Under the relocation proposal, Hemel Stags - the club which has produced the likes of Wigan's former Gold Coast centre Dan Sarginson - would continue at junior level in north London.

Speaking to reporters in Salford after the vote of clubs on Thursday night, Perez compared the expansion of rugby league into North America with the AFL’s push into NSW and Queensland.

If you control your own content people will buy it directly from you, especially the younger generations.

Eric Perez
"We’ve got to do what the AFL did and expand to markets that are hungry for our sport," Perez said.

"What Toronto have done is show there is a massive hunger [in Canada].

"My goal is to have the best English players play in our competition and the best Australian players play in our competition."

The RFL board is expected to make a final decision on expansion next month after further due diligence of the North American bids.

"The clubs were in principle supportive, by a comfortable majority, of the proposals for both Ottawa and New York to join the competitions, and for the RFL board to continue to exercise its discretion to negotiate with both clubs, and to make a decision in due course," RFL director Simon Johnson said.

The views in this article do not necessarily express the opinions of the NRL, ARLC, NRL clubs or state associations.

Thanks for posting @manlyfan76 .

A couple of weeks ago I did a thread about the 2 new teams which have been 'all but' given the go ahead. But it was when Dan's servers were playing up so the thread got deleted.

They are putting money where their gobs are as in an interview with Steve Mascord, Perez said that all flights and accommodation costs for teams playing in New York (and Ottawa presumably) would be paid for by the owners of those new teams.

Two points from the article:

A meeting of UK clubs on Thursday voted to allow teams from Ottawa and New York into the League One competition in 2020.

That's pretty big news in the world of rugby I reckon.

Perez is partnering with Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, which is involved with three other sporting franchises in the city, and he said a derby match between Ottawa – the capital of Ontario – and the state’s biggest city, Toronto, had enormous potential.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!

Ottawa is the capital of Canada.
Toronto is the capital of Ontario.

I wonder who screwed that up?

Toronto Wolfpack v Barrow Raiders
Because I'm a goof and telling time is apparently as hard as reading a tv guide.... I missed the last game so this info comes from far inferior sources.

Here goes:

Pre game:
Toronto Wolfpack are set to begin a tough stretch of games on Good Friday, coming face to face with Barrow Raiders at Craven Park, Cumbria. It will be the first of three Betfred Championship clashes in 10 days for the Canadian ladder-leaders.

The Raiders have recorded one win, one draw and seven losses in their campaign to this point, with their sole victory coming in Round One against Batley Bulldogs. Their most recent outing was an exciting, high-scoring battle with Leigh Centurions that ended in a 46-30 defeat.

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/match-preview-toronto-wolfpack-vs-barrow-raiders-3/

Post game:

Toronto Wolfpack beat Barrow Raiders 52-26

Blake Wallace and Gareth O'Brien scored three tries apiece as the Toronto Wolfpack rallied from a 12-0 deficit Friday to beat Barrow Raiders 52-26 in Betfred Championship rugby league play.

Andrew Dixon, Matty Russell and Andy Ackers also scored tries for Toronto, which led 28-12 at the half.

Wallace also kicked eight conversions for the Wolfpack. (finally my complaining about O'Brien's less than stellar kicking gets through!)

Josh Johnson, Deon Cross, Jarrad Stack, Stargroth Amean and Tee Ritson scored tries for Barrow, who added three conversions. The Raiders scored two late tries to reduce the margin of defeat.

Toronto (9-0-1) leads the second-tier Betfred Championship table. Barrow (1-8-1) came into weekend play in 11th place.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/toronto-wolfpack-barrow-raiders-1.5105196

edit: Oops, I forgot to hit reply. Lucky the info is saved in here even when clicking on another page. wtf is wrong with me today? Too much rain!

Toronto Wolfpack v Barrow Raiders
Because I'm a goof and telling time is apparently as hard as reading a tv guide.... I missed the last game so this info comes from far inferior sources.

Here goes:

Pre game:
Toronto Wolfpack are set to begin a tough stretch of games on Good Friday, coming face to face with Barrow Raiders at Craven Park, Cumbria. It will be the first of three Betfred Championship clashes in 10 days for the Canadian ladder-leaders.

The Raiders have recorded one win, one draw and seven losses in their campaign to this point, with their sole victory coming in Round One against Batley Bulldogs. Their most recent outing was an exciting, high-scoring battle with Leigh Centurions that ended in a 46-30 defeat.

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/match-preview-toronto-wolfpack-vs-barrow-raiders-3/

Post game:

Toronto Wolfpack beat Barrow Raiders 52-26

Blake Wallace and Gareth O'Brien scored three tries apiece as the Toronto Wolfpack rallied from a 12-0 deficit Friday to beat Barrow Raiders 52-26 in Betfred Championship rugby league play.

Andrew Dixon, Matty Russell and Andy Ackers also scored tries for Toronto, which led 28-12 at the half.

Wallace also kicked eight conversions for the Wolfpack. (finally my complaining about O'Brien's less than stellar kicking gets through!)

Josh Johnson, Deon Cross, Jarrad Stack, Stargroth Amean and Tee Ritson scored tries for Barrow, who added three conversions. The Raiders scored two late tries to reduce the margin of defeat.

Toronto (9-0-1) leads the second-tier Betfred Championship table. Barrow (1-8-1) came into weekend play in 11th place.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/toronto-wolfpack-barrow-raiders-1.5105196

edit: Oops, I forgot to hit reply. Lucky the info is saved in here even when clicking on another page. wtf is wrong with me today? Too much rain!

Im going to need you to pee into this cup.

Toronto Wolfpack (1) v Featherstone Rovers (7)

Toronto 23 - Featherstone 14

I wrote a song about this game to the tune of “Dem Bones.”

A good play is followed by a... dropped ball,
A nice set is ended with a... mistake.
A strong run is finished with a... penalty.
Now let’s do this all game long!

I know the Wolfpack only played 4 days ago but shiver me timbers!

Ok, after listening to one of the worst renditions of God save the Queen (but the lady singing it seemed to enjoy herself so it’s all good) the round 11 match got under way.

There was an interesting penalty to Featherstone early when it was ruled a Toronto player was too long in the tackle. However the player was lying face down on the ground, not moving and the Rovers player was lying on top of him wriggling around like a rather annoyed earth worm. Basically the Toronto player was penalised for being sat on!

Featherstone almost scored in the next set but their winger just stepped into touch.

Toronto was held up twice over the line as the two teams continued to feel each other out.

Try Toronto!
A good break by Gaz O’Brien which contained not one, but two dummies (which didn’t fool anyone), still lead to him scoring in the left hand corner. He hurt his shoulder diving (which he didn’t need to do) but it looked like it was just a burner.
I know I always make fun of his kicking, but he is a good fullback. That said, Blake Wallace has taking over the kicking and subsequently misses from the sideline.

4-0 Toronto.

One Featherstone player playing well is ex Toronto signing, Jack Bussey. He is out to remind Toronto that is was a mistake cutting him. A solid looking forward with good ball handling skills.

The next set went like this: Kickoff. Penalty to Toronto. Winger Matty Russell scores. Wallace misses the conversion from the same kicking spot as the first try.

8-0 Toronto.

26th Min. Try to Featherstone! Jack Bussey made a good break (he really is mad with Toronto), stepped Lussick and the Rovers score next to the posts.

The try was converted by ex Storm player Dane Chisholm.

8-6 Toronto over Featherstone.

A mistake at the kick-off? Sounds probable. Featherstone knock on 20 metres out from their goal line.

30th Min: Matty Russel scores again and becomes the league leader in tries scored. Has Wallace learned from his previous missed kicks? Nope. Misses his third from the same spot.

12-6 Toronto over Featherstone

Gaz O’brien then got 10 in the bin after a high tackle on Dane Chisholm who had made a good break up-field. It was one of those where Dane stepped inside and O’Brien’s hand cupped Dane’s neck with no real force. A penalty at most, but 10 in the bin it was.

After the penalty kick for touch, Featherstone go the short side and with an open line in front of him, their winger drops the ball cold. (lololololol).

When next with the ball, Featherstone kick it high on the 5th. Speaking of escorts… Toronto did a minor one which the ref let go. The Toronto player hit the deck after he was brushed to make it look like they ran into each other accidentally…etc, whatever, it worked and no penalty was awarded.

Toronto has the ball and a forward pass was actually called from dummy half! If you needed proof this wasn’t the nrl that was it! Cam Smith should take note never to play in this league.

Featherstone knock on again, 20 metres out from their line, again.

With 10 seconds to go, Josh McCrone opts to go for a field goal, is successful and the halftime score is 13-6 in Toronto’s favour.

Halftime stats: Possession: Tor 54%, Fev 46%. Completion rates: Tor 74%, Fev 75%. Penalties Tor 3, Fev 4. All things are pretty equal with Featherstone doing 20 more tackles.

At half time a nice lady is introduced as the Toronto Wolfpack ring master and is asked to explain exactly what that is. After she answers, no one is any wiser as to what role she plays, but she looks like she is enjoying herself so it’s all good.

Second Half.

43rd Min: Featherstone score a great try! A spin then a step from Chisholm leads to him kicking on the run and the ball is gather centimetres from the dead ball line and planted millimetres inside it by ex-Brisbane Easts player Carey. Toronto were still a man down (sin binning).

Because it’s not Toronto, the conversion is successful. 13-12 Toronto over Featherstone.

50th Min: Toronto winger dropped the ball over the try line.

Over the next 15 minutes, Featherstone seems to be the better team. Jack Bussey is in everything but every good play is eventually rewarded by a stuff up. This goes for both sides. It’s a high tempo game but, ugh, also a mistake-a-thon.

66th Min. Featherstone receive a penalty as the markers were not square. They take the shot at goal and hit the lead for the first time!

Bussey is also put on report for a sneaky head-butt that everyone missed; except for the Toronto player who now has a bloody nose.

14-13 Featherstone over Toronto.

68th Min: Toronto winger Matty Russell does another great run over about 60 metres but the 5th tackle option sucked big time. A way too long a kick goes well over the dead ball line.

Featherstone’s Bussey then breaks through the line, makes many metres
up-field and then, and then… the ball is dropped over the try line.

75th Min: And the pressure is on. Players are tired, coaches are tired of all the mistakes their tired players are making. But,

Try Toronto! A simple play. McCrone runs to the line, attracts two defenders and passes it off to Dixon and even though he is a forward, he sprints the 30 metres to score under the posts. He wraps the ball up tightly in two arms so there cannot be a grounding mistake. A wise move which should be taken to heart by many!

Finally! A conversion! 19-14 Toronto over Featherstone.

Featherstone attempt a short kick off. The ball bounces short but slowly towards the 10 metre line. Bussey is standing on the wrong side of the line (which doesn’t matter) but he reaches back a grabs the ball before it breaks that 10 metre plane. That’s a penalty and Bussey is furious with the refs (language please).

As usual, Toronto oblige by being pinged for a forward pass and Featherstone get the ball back.

Featherstone‘s 5th tackle and they kick the ball into M. Russell who re- gathers and does yet another great run up-field.

80th Min: On Toronto’s 5th tackle the ball is swung left and wide to Matty Russell who caps off another great day out with yet another try. He does a big dive and roll to score (there is no need to) and is rewarded by injuring his shoulder like a git.

This will be the fourth conversion attempt from the same spot out wide on the left…and it’s missed (shock).

The game ends with a 23-14 victory to Toronto! Some great play mixed in with a ton of mistakes.

They have now won 10 from 11 and are two games ahead of second place after Sheffield Eagle thumped Toulouse 44-something which is a bit surprising!

Next week is Toronto’s FIRST home game of the season and their 3rd game in 10 days!

Thanks. :)

Love your summaries GE. Noted Toronto is 2 games up on Toulouse but Sheffield, who Toronto has already defeated, has actually one game up its sleeve and could be within one win of Toronto if they win that game. But Toronto look the goods. But for the one hiccup they seem to have the measure of most teams in this comp. Hope they don't fall over at the post like last year when they came within a hairs breadth of being in SuperLeague. Should have been there but apparently for some questionable ref calls in their final game. This side has obviously become the second Sea Eagles on this forum, including in how refs treat them.

Love your summaries GE. Noted Toronto is 2 games up on Toulouse but Sheffield, who Toronto has already defeated, has actually one game up its sleeve and could be within one win of Toronto if they win that game. But Toronto look the goods. But for the one hiccup they seem to have the measure of most teams in this comp. Hope they don't fall over at the post like last year when they came within a hairs breadth of being in SuperLeague. Should have been there but apparently for some questionable ref calls in their final game. This side has obviously become the second Sea Eagles on this forum, including in how refs treat them.

Thank you Sir.
You're right about Sheffield of course. Sheesh, Why cant these other teams just fall by the wayside and leave us alone? (lol)

As posted, I was quite annoyed last year. They easily topped the league and then bombed it all the way through the finals.

Then...

I've been looking at how the London Broncos have been going this year in Super league and it's not good. Bottom of the league with only 3 wins. So maybe it's been good for Toronto to spend one more year in the 'second' division. A new coach and one more year to get used to the weird 11 games away, 11 games (or so) at home system.

Obviously I don't wish to be too presumptuous and think that Toronto are certainties to get into SL next year, they still have to earn it.

When, and if, Toronto make it to SL, they have to be very ready. I believe the dollars they have to spend have been rubbing some strugglers up the wrong way in England. "We'll show these upstarts they gotta earn their place" type of thing. So it may be like how every team lifts against the premiers.

At the moment they occasionally play semi professional teams still. They have to get fitter and sharper in everything they do.

I'd like to see how Matty Russell goes in the big time. I think he's quite a good winger... in second division (hard to compare).

Toronto Wolfpack (1st) v Swinton Lions (10th or something)
Full Time: Toronto 52 def Swinton 10

Good afternoon all 4 of you who read this. It's about 10:15pm as I start to write this. A lot to get through so be quiet and let me type!

Toronto's first home game of the season on Sunday the 28th and the home team was looking for a crowd of 9000 plus. The crowd of 9562 was awesome and is in fact the highest single-game attendance for any Championship League game in history!

The famous beer tent row was packed and seemed to have more people in there, than the stands.

The new field is an artificial turf one and it is also a multi use field so there's three different sidelines, all different colours to make things confusing.

Toronto had no Matty Russell today, a shame as the highly rated winger has been on fire. Ashton Sims was in and Darcy Lussick got only his second game in the starting 13.

After two questionably flat and super long National Anthems, the game got under way in what many were seeing as another mismatch of talent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto was receiving and the travelling Poms were in fine cheering voice on a beautiful sunny afternoon.

Soon a forward pass stopped Toronto from scoring. Two quick penalties against Toronto put Swinton in an attacking position but they couldn't score.
The commentator said Darcy was standing on all fours. (lol)

6th min: Try Toronto! Fullback Gaz O'Brien did a good angled run to the corner post and scores Toronto's first try. New kicker Wallace decided the sideline was a long way away, and missed the conversion. 4-0

There are police sirens in the background, lol - welcome to Toronto.

12th min: Toronto try! Swinton's kicks just aren't going deep enough and the Toronto forwards are marching up-field. Surprise surprise, Wallace converts his own try....! 10-6

Toronto keep swinging the ball out wide and Swinton soon realise this. Both teams are now feeling each other out. As always, Swinton's enthusiasm is great but this usually means tired players at the back end of the game. However Swinton are starting to play error free football and manning up.

23rd min: Swinton try! They have been playing well but this try is against the run of play. A 5th tackle kick by Toronto goes into the arms of a Swinton forward who shows good pace, passes (forward but anyway) to a back who shows more pace to score! A half by the name of Harry Smith converts and it is 10-6.

A bit about @Harry Smith .

Swinton Lions are delighted to announce the signing of promising youngster Harry Smith on an initial one-month loan.

The Wigan Academy star joins Swinton with immediate effect, and will be in contention to make his debut against Bradford Bulls in round two of the 2019 Championship season at Heywood Road. He is a half and a young star of the game. He's been thrown in here a bit last minute I feel and the combinations aren't yet there.

31st min: Swinton are playing well until Harry throws a ball over the side line (good one Harry! - lol)

The ref blows the whistle the exact same way for whatever the reason. This is much more off putting that I expected it to be. Everything sounds like a penalty.

34th min: Try Toronto! By Bodine Thompson. Almost a double movement but thank goodness for momemtun and artificial turf. Wallace converts.
16-6

38th min: Try Toronto! A 4th tackle penalty gifts Toronto good field position. Andy Ackers (an ex Swinton Lions player) runs it on the 5th and scores. A bad miss from Swinton there. Try is converted. 22-6

40th min: Wallace is nailed by a shoulder charge late but he is ok. A penalty suffices and Wallace himself goes for the 2 points right on half time. 40 metres out and converts it easily!

Half time 24-6.

Now as some of you may know, Jefferson the mascot got stolen some weeks back. At 5K and months to make Toronto didn't have time to do a re-make and so threw together this one and called it "Gordo": (You really should look).

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/...ets-a-new-look-and-people-are-not-here-for-it

It's like a hobo found a onesie and an old saxophone!

The drums are playing and the cheer-girls march in followed by.........................
Jefferson the original mascot!!! Yes! It was all a marketing play! (Bastards) and by the amount of airtime and column inches it got, it worked well.
Jeffo (as he would be called in Aust, looks pumped to be here!)

Back to the footy!

Swinton did well in the first half; re-adjusted when they worked out Toronto's strategy, but Toronto is one well drilled and financially backed mo-fo of a team.

So Swinton need a good start.

41st min: @Harry Smith throws a crazy forward pass (wtf Harry); and guess what?
46th min: Try Toronto! Forward Dixon runs a good line, cuts straight through, palms off a few would be tacklers and scores. Try is converted: 30-6
50th min: Try Toronto! (Uh oh) Ricky Leutele scores. A tired Swinton gives away a 'not square' penalty. Toronto march up-field, swing it wide and Leutele scores in the corner. Corner you say? Yup, try wasn't converted. 34-6.
Re-start is kicked out on the full (sigh).
Toronto almost score on the first play. there's pushing andshoving in the background. Swinton are tired and frustrated and beginning to play dirty (like when Qld start losing a SOO game).
The ref tells everyone we dont need ya to come running in..we have it. I mean ref missed it but in this league touchies actually do stuff. Remember when they used to run onto the field and give reports to the refs? They still do that here.
Penalty is 30 metres behind where Toronto actually ended up so it's a shame you cant decline a penalty!

53rd min: Try Toronto! McCrone offloads near the tryline gives Olbinson a forward a try next to the posts.
It's now 40-6. This'll get messy.

Some good pressure by Swinton over the next 7 minutes though.

64th min: Try Toronto! A kick through on the last, Swinton fullback up in the line, and Wallace runs through and grounds the ball. 46-6 as one always should always convert ones try.

66th min: Swinton kick off travels high, but only 3 metres forward. Penalty Toronto.
68th min: Try Toronto! Too big, too strong and a try to the winger Higson. Try is converted. Half century time. 52 - 6.

70th min: Big running and lots of offloads and lussick didn't want to be the one to die with the ball for some reason. Threw a low ball which was knocked on. Bad luck.

73rd min: Try Swinton! It was scrappy and clunky but it worked and Swinton scores their second. By Mike Butt (teehee) in the corner.
Harry Smith misses from the sideline 52-10

76th min: Swinton are once again on the attack but once again Harry Smith passes the ball forward.

Full time! Toronto 52 defeat Swinton 10. To their credit Swinton finished full of running, yet maybe Toronto clocked off a little.

Stats: The most telling? 29 missed tackles Swinton, only 6 for Toronto

But: Completion rates were 72% Swinton and only 66% for Toronto. If they get into Super league, they wont want to do that too many times.

So it was one of those games you could have guessed how it would go at the start.
Swinton had a dig but the skill and experience of Toronto meant that they ran over them in the second half.

The next home game is on May the 4th (be with you) against the Bradford Bulls and with the Bulls only having 4 losses this season, it should be a good game!

Thanks for reading, as always.

It's now 11:15pm!

:)

Toronto Wolfpack (1st) v Swinton Lions (10th or something)
Full Time: Toronto 52 def Swinton 10

Good afternoon all 4 of you who read this. It's about 10:15pm as I start to write this. A lot to get through so be quiet and let me type!

Toronto's first home game of the season on Sunday the 28th and the home team was looking for a crowd of 9000 plus. The crowd of 9562 was awesome and is in fact the highest single-game attendance for any Championship League game in history!

The famous beer tent row was packed and seemed to have more people in there, than the stands.

The new field is an artificial turf one and it is also a multi use field so there's three different sidelines, all different colours to make things confusing.

Toronto had no Matty Russell today, a shame as the highly rated winger has been on fire. Ashton Sims was in and Darcy Lussick got only his second game in the starting 13.

After two questionable flat and super long National Anthems, the game got under way in what many were seeing as another mismatch of talent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto was receiving and the travelling Poms were in fine cheering voice on a beautiful sunny afternoon.

Soon a forward pass stopped Toronto from scoring. Two quick penalties against Toronto put Swinton in an attacking position but they couldn't score.
The commentator said Darcy was standing on all fours. (lol)

6th min: Try Toronto! Fullback Gaz O'Brien did a good angled run to the corner post and scores Toronto's first try. New kicker Wallace decided the sideline was a long way away, and missed the conversion. 4-0

There are police sirens in the background, lol - welcome to Toronto.

12th min: Toronto try! Swinton's kicks just aren't going deep enough and the Toronto forwards are marching up-field. Surprise surprise, Wallace converts his own try....! 10-6

Toronto keep swinging the ball out wide and Swinton soon realise this. Both teams are now feeling each other out. As always, Swinton's enthusiasm is great but this usually means tired players at the back end of the game. However Swinton are starting to play error free football and manning up.

23rd min: Swinton try! They have been playing well but this try is against the run of play. A 5th tackle kick by Toronto goes into the arms of a Swinton forward who shows good pace, passes (forward but anyway) to a back who shows more pace to score! A half by the name of Harry Smith converts and it is 10-6.

A bit about @Harry Smith .

Swinton Lions are delighted to announce the signing of promising youngster Harry Smith on an initial one-month loan.

The Wigan Academy star joins Swinton with immediate effect, and will be in contention to make his debut against Bradford Bulls in round two of the 2019 Championship season at Heywood Road. He is a half and a young star of the game. He's been thrown in here a bit last minute I feel and the combinations aren't yet there.

31st min: Swinton are playing well until Harry throws a ball over the side line (good one Harry! - lol)

The ref blows the whistle the exact same way for whatever the reason. This is much more off putting that I expected it to be. Everything sounds like a penalty.

34th min: Try Toronto! By Bodine Thompson. Almost a double movement but thank goodness for momemtun and artificial turf. Wallace converts.
16-6

38th min: Try Toronto! A 4th tackle penalty gifts Toronto good field position. Andy Ackers (an ex Swinton Lions player) runs it on the 5th and scores. A bad miss from Swinton there. Try is converted. 22-6

40th min: Wallace is nailed by a shoulder charge late but he is ok. A penalty suffices and Wallace himself goes for the 2 points right on half time. 40 metres out and converts it easily!

Half time 24-6.

Now as some of you may know, Jefferson the mascot got stolen some weeks back. At 5K and months to make Toronto didn't have time to do a re-make and so threw together this one and called it "Gordo": (You really should look).

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/...ets-a-new-look-and-people-are-not-here-for-it

It's like a hobo found a onesie and an old saxophone!

The drums are playing and the cheer-girls march in followed by.........................
Jefferson the original mascot!!! Yes! It was all a marketing play! (Bastards) and by the amount of airtime and column inches it got, it worked well.
Jeffo (as he would be called in Aust, looks pumped to be here!)

Back to the footy!

Swinton did well in the first half; re-adjusted when they worked out Toronto's strategy, but Toronto is one well drilled and financially backed mo-fo of a team.

So Swinton need a good start.

41st min: @Harry Smith throws a crazy forward pass (wtf Harry); and guess what?
46th min: Try Toronto! Forward Dixon runs a good line, cuts straight through, palms off a few would be tacklers and scores. Try is converted: 30-6
50th min: Try Toronto! (Uh oh) Ricky Leutele scores. A tired Swinton gives away a 'not square' penalty. Toronto march up-field, swing it wide and Leutele scores in the corner. Corner you say? Yup, try wasn't converted. 34-6.
Re-start is kicked out on the full (sigh).
Toronto almost score on the first play. there's pushing andshoving in the background. Swinton are tired and frustrated and beginning to play dirty (like when Qld start losing a SOO game).
The ref tells everyone we dont need ya to come running in..we have it. I mean ref missed it but in this league touchies actually do stuff. Remember when they used to run onto the field and give reports to the refs? They still do that here.
Penalty is 30 metres behind where Toronto actually ended up so it's a shame you cant decline a penalty!

53rd min: Try Toronto! McCrone offloads near the tryline gives Olbinson a forward a try next to the posts.
It's now 40-6. This'll get messy.

Some good pressure by Swinton over the next 7 minutes though.

64th min: Try Toronto! A kick through on the last, Swinton fullback up in the line, and Wallace runs through and grounds the ball. 46-6 as one always should always convert ones try.

66th min: Swinton kick off travels high, but only 3 metres forward. Penalty Toronto.
68th min: Try Toronto! Too big, too strong and a try to the winger Higson. Try is converted. Half century time. 52 - 6.

70th min: Big running and lots of offloads and lussick didn't want to be the one to die with the ball for some reason. Threw a low ball which was knocked on. Bad luck.

73rd min: Try Swinton! It was scrappy and clunky but it worked and Swinton scores their second. By Mike Butt (teehee) in the corner.
Harry Smith misses from the sideline 52-10

76th min: Swinton are once again on the attack but once again Harry Smith passes the ball forward.

Full time! Toronto 52 defeat Swinton 10. To their credit Swinton finished full of running, yet maybe Toronto clocked off a little.

Stats: The most telling? 29 missed tackles Swinton, only 6 for Toronto

But: Completion rates were 72% Swinton and only 66% for Toronto. If they get into Super league, they wont want to do that too many times.

So it was one of those games you could have guessed how it would go at the start.
Swinton had a dig but the skill and experience of Toronto meant that they ran over them in the second half.

The next home game is on May the 4th (be with you) against the Bradford Bulls and with the Bulls only having 4 losses this season, it should be a good game!

Thanks for reading, as always.

It's now 11:15pm!

:)
It’s not like me to throw it over the sideline ;)

Thought you had forgotten us for a bit there GE. Great to see you back. Now Toronto are ahead by 2 games. Thanks for the wrap up.

WOLFPACK GROWS

Talking of tumbling attendance records, Toronto Wolfpack kicked off their series of home games with a gate of 9,562 — eight shy of capacity.

Not bad for a match in what is the equivalent of the NSW Cup, and in a country for whom rugby league is not a native sport.

The Canadian franchise who boast Ashton Sims, Darcy Lussick and Ricky Leutele in their ranks, is just three years old.

Billionaire Australian owner David Argyle is desperate to earn promotion to Super League this year, and has already expressed an interest in hosting a Kangaroos or Kiwis Test there in the near future. Watch this space.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...r/news-story/3ee65cd8ce73c7ce15913b7e5bda19ef

Also has story on Tommo going to uk
And Hastings is killing it.

Thought you had forgotten us for a bit there GE. Great to see you back. Now Toronto are ahead by 2 games. Thanks for the wrap up.

Nah... Tax time! Zzzzz

I have finally worked it out why 4 teams have played one match less than all the others.

Translation - it took me this long for wiki to cough up the answers!
  1. Widnes v Sheffield postponed due to Widnes club going into administration and insurance for the players not being in place. - Round 4
  2. Rochdale v York postponed as stadium staff failed to prepare pitch. (lol) Round 6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_RFL_Championship_season_results#Round_4

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/21/widnes-vikings-financial-worries-mount-postponed

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8