Top 50 Manly players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Zorba is closest to the mark, but could the man crawl any further up Fulton’s arse?

Why anyone would not have Eadie at or very near no. 2 is beyond me. He was playing test football at or near ‘man of the match’ level before his 20th birthday.

He played in four winning grand final teams, kicked the crucial goals in ‘73 (as well as throwing the final pass for one of Fulton’s tries); ‘76 (when he kicked them to victory) and in the first GF in ‘78 to take them to a replay, where he was man of the match.

Zorba is closest to the mark, but could the man crawl any further up Fulton’s arse?

Why anyone would not have Eadie at or very near no. 2 is beyond me. He was playing test football at or near ‘man of the match’ level before his 20th birthday.

He played in four winning grand final teams, kicked the crucial goals in ‘73 (as well as throwing the final pass for one of Fulton’s tries); ‘76 (when he kicked them to victory) and in the first GF in ‘78 to take them to a replay, where he was man of the match.
I’m perplexed why Eadie is not an immortal. Better record than most of them including bozo.

I first started watching Manly play in 1968 but as an 8yo hard to remember that much some great moments and remember some great debuts across the Many grades. Like the debut of our promising centre Terry Randall at five eight that day, he may have kicked the winning field goal (or at least a field goal), then I seem to recall Johnny Gibbs running on in the U23s after the end of the Presidents Cup competition may have been in jersey 55 and whether it was his first game or not as memory has faded his sock down and head back he ran the length of the field and scored his first of 3 tries announcing himself to the Manly faithful.

We seemed to be able to find a good half back in those days. Rick Chisolm used to kill them in the lower grades, made his debut and may have scored all our points that day 2 tries and 5 goals (again maybe). Then who can forget Paul Shaw lighting up reserve grade. Once again was lucky enough to see his debut v England at Brooky, Toovs. I was also there the day when he hit a rampaging Mal Meninga as he was in full stride, just under the armpit and drove him some 5-6 metres over the sideline.

Too many great players to name but my all time favorites were Bozo, Terry Randall, Cliff Lyons, Steve Menzies, Graham Eadie, Jamie Lyons and of course Malcolm Reilly.

Craig Field
Brett Kimmorley
@:D
giphy.gif

Les Hannigan was mind blowingly quick. I was lucky enough to witness his 5 try haul against the gummies .... he played before soft contact lenses were invented or at least readily available and had poor eyesight .... like Bill Bradstreet, Norm Pounder & Ian Martin he may not have made the top 50 list but they were certainly favourites of mine in their day

Yeah, but what has he done lately??

lol

cough

Some amazing talent in these lists!

I'm early 30's so my top ten from circa 1992

1. Steve Menzies
2. Clliffy Lyons
3. Geoff Toovey (my all time favourite)
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Nik Kosef
6. Brett Stewart
7. Matthew Ridge
8. Anthony Watmough
9. Mark Carroll
10. Glenn Stewart

Even just in the last 30 years to have players like Matai, Gartner, J Trbojevic, Innes, Hill, Kite, Ballin, Gillespie, T Trbojevic, DCE, Kennedy, Orford, Hasler to miss out means we have been so blessed

Jake is so close to forcing his way in and Turbo won't be far off once he sorts a few defensive issues

Kennedy was a great player but missed out on account of the sort period he was here

And just to mix it up, a team of the best players I've witnessed

1.Ridge
2.T Trbojevic
3.Lyon
4.Matai
5.B Stewart
6.Lyons
7.Toovey
8.Carroll
9.Hasler
10.Kite
11.Menzies
12.Watmough
13.Kosef

14.Kennedy
15.Gillespie
16.G Stewart
17.J Trbojevic

I don't like Brett on the wing but with him at fullback I'd have to drop Ridge and couldn't think of a winger i'd be willing to do that for

Really rated Innes and Matai edged him, Gartner 18th man

1. Eadie.
2. Shearer.
3. O'Connor.
4. Lyon.
5.Turbo.
6. Fulton.
7. Toovey.
8. Carroll.
9. Krilich.
10. O'Neill.
11.Choc.
12. Beaver.
13. Cliffy.

Nice to dream of better times.

I would have Terry Hill in there somewhere along with Ben Kennedy and DCE is just another good season away from easily making that list. Jake and Tom will no doubt be in the top 20 in another 2-3 years if they stay uninjured.

Though I stopped following the (((game))) last September (2017), after 51 seasons, and haven’t watched a game since (and what an enjoyable winter I’ve had – thank you Greenturd), I happened to stop by and see this thread. Here’s the best team ever (from what I saw 1967-2017).

G. Eadie
D. Shearer
J. Lyon
B. Fulton
K. Irvine
C. Lyons
G. Toovey
S. Menzies
G. Stewart
T. Randall
M. Carroll
M. Krilich
R. Mossop (;

Reserves

D. Gartner
D. Hasler
M. Reilly
I. Roberts

I’ll see myself out, and hopefully the NRL won’t deem a wooden spoon for the remaining supporters this year, but I wouldn’t doubt it.

Easy:
Adam Brown
Adam Hayden
Brett Kimmorley
Nate Myles
Chris Bailey
Lewis Brown
Nathan Green
Gary Winter
Grant Wooden
Scott Fulton

Though I stopped following the (((game))) last September (2017), after 51 seasons, and haven’t watched a game since (and what an enjoyable winter I’ve had – thank you Greenturd), I happened to stop by and see this thread. Here’s the best team ever (from what I saw 1967-2017).

G. Eadie
D. Shearer
J. Lyon
B. Fulton
K. Irvine
C. Lyons
G. Toovey
S. Menzies
G. Stewart
T. Randall
M. Carroll
M. Krilich
R. Mossop (;

Reserves

D. Gartner
D. Hasler
M. Reilly
I. Roberts

I’ll see myself out, and hopefully the NRL won’t deem a wooden spoon for the remaining supporters this year, but I wouldn’t doubt it.
Very hard to disagree. Only change I'd make is Mal Reilly is a must for the starting side at the expense of Gift. These days you'd also need to select an extra prop on the bench; possibly Pogo Morgan for Daniel Gartner?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6