Top 50 Manly players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Daily Telegraph have asked 3 so-called experts who their top 50 Manly players are

Zorba

1 Bob Fulton

2 Cliff Lyons

3 Mal Reilly

4 Graham Eadie

5 Steve Menzies

Dean Ritchie

1 Bob Fulton

2 Steve Menzies

3 Geoff Toovey

4 Cliff Lyons

5 Wally O’Connell

Jon Geddes

1 Bob Fulton

2 Geoff Toovey

3 Steve Menzies

4 Cliff Lyons

5 Brett Stewart

We have had some great players over the years and hard to pick only 50.
Must have been lunchtime and Zorba was in a rush, he has Noel Cleal at 13 and 23.

The full story is behind a paywall, use UNPAYWALL extension in google to view.

For the record, my top 10 would be (in no particular order, though Bozo would be the undisputed #1 with Cliffy next)

Bob Fulton, Cliff Lyons, Steve Menzies, Brett Stewart, Geoff Toovey, Mal Reilly, Terry Randall, Graham Eadie, Wally O'Connell, Roy Bull.

Last edited:
I only go back to early 90s, so the top 10 of what I've seen in no particular order would probably be something like Lyons, Toovey, Menzies, B Stewart, Watmough, Lyon, Carroll, Hill, Ridge, G Stewart

Kosef and Kite pretty close to that list and I've probably forgotten some obvious ones

I started following Manly in 1972 (great timing ) as a nine year old.

My top 10 are:

1. Eadie
2. Bozo
3. T Randall
4. Cliffy
5. Brett Stewart
6. Toovey
7. Menzies
8. Mal Reilly
9. O’Connor
10. Krillich

So many great players left out! Honourable mentions to Alan Thompson and Rambo Gibbs, two of my faves, albeit not in the same league as the above list.

For some reason its not only the best players as far as talent that make my favourites list or...if they came from outside....
As an example 2 of my faves are Rambo Gibbs (All heart and guts) and the Hitman Steve Matai....also though left on ordinary terms and a year too long imo, the great Snake Stewart!!

Cliffy Napper Lyons
Steve Beaver Menzies
Terry Igor Randall
Geoff pound for pound toughest Toovey
Bob Bozo Fulton
Brett Snake Stewart
Phil chip n chase Blake
Graham Wombat Eadie
Micheal Snoz O’connor
Jamie killer Lyon

My top ten

I only go back to early 90s, so the top 10 of what I've seen in no particular order would probably be something like Lyons, Toovey, Menzies, B Stewart, Watmough, Lyon, Carroll, Hill, Ridge, G Stewart

Kosef and Kite pretty close to that list and I've probably forgotten some obvious ones
I'm in the same boat..
1.Steve Menzies
2.Cliff Lyons
3.Brett Stewart
4.Geoff Toovey
5.Jamie Lyon
6.Glenn Stewart
7.Matt Ridge
8.Steve Matai
9.Ben Kennedy
10.Mark Carroll

Not far off that list for me already.. the trbojevic brothers. Honourable mentions.. kosef, hill, watmough, Orford, kite. Alot of talent in the last 30 years at manly. Very tough to answer

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat..
1.Steve Menzies
2.Cliff Lyons
3.Brett Stewart
4.Geoff Toovey
5.Jamie Lyon
6.Glenn Stewart
7.Matt Ridge
8.Steve Matai
9.Ben Kennedy
10.Mark Carroll

Not far off that list for me already.. the trbojevic brothers. Honourable mentions.. kosef, hill, watmough, Orford, kite. Alot of talent in the last 30 years at manly. Very tough to answer

All the same names I was thinking of, Kennedy I was close to putting down, but only a couple of years here so I went down the Watmough path, not a great ending to his chapter but **** he was a player when on, 2009 I think it was he had a month or so when he was out of this world. He will probably struggle to walk in his mid 40s after what he did to himself here. Amazing to think of the backrow combos we have had in that time, Menzies/Gartner/Kosef then Menzies/Watmough/Kennedy then Glenn chucking himself into that trio post Kennedy. Hopefully in a few years if they all stay healthy we may be able to mention Thompson/Sironen/Trbojevic among that company

Wanted to put Kite in as well, seeing as he Ian a Churchill medalist. Gillespie was another name in the mix.

Foran a coulda/woulda/shouda type unfortunately, at the start of his career you'd have though he would be among this list, Will Hoppa probably another one of those

All the same names I was thinking of, Kennedy I was close to putting down, but only a couple of years here so I went down the Watmough path, not a great ending to his chapter but **** he was a player when on, 2009 I think it was he had a month or so when he was out of this world. He will probably struggle to walk in his mid 40s after what he did to himself here. Amazing to think of the backrow combos we have had in that time, Menzies/Gartner/Kosef then Menzies/Watmough/Kennedy then Glenn chucking himself into that trio post Kennedy. Hopefully in a few years if they all stay healthy we may be able to mention Thompson/Sironen/Trbojevic among that company

Wanted to put Kite in as well, seeing as he Ian a Churchill medalist. Gillespie was another name in the mix.

Foran a coulda/woulda/shouda type unfortunately, at the start of his career you'd have though he would be among this list, Will Hoppa probably another one of those
hit the nail on the head I reckon

Wombat not in those lists??? A bit hard done by

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8