Toovey Front Page

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This correspondent understands that one J.Massoud graduated from the Phil Rothfield School of Journalism, after being awarded the Dean Ritchie Prize for Journalistic Ethics and Integrity at NLU (News Ltd University) in 2003. The lowest-ranking graduates have given journalism the heave-ho and gone onto 'worthless' careers at the Red Cross, World Wildlife Fund and the RSPCA.

Interestingly, not one anti-Manly jibe in the 'comments' section.

Daniel said:
Rodo said:
MadMarcus said:
The key to reading DT articles is to identify "telegraphisms" (ie. tell-tale signs that there is no evidence to support the proposition being made), and ignore paragraphs with "telegraphisms" in them.

The number of telegraphisms in the below piece must be close to a record. I have put them in bold.

The Daily Telegraph last night learned the Sea Eagles head coach Geoff Toovey and veteran trainer Don Singe have joined 41 current and former players on the list of NRL identities that ASADA wishes to speak with as part of its investigation. It's also believed former Sea Eagles doctor, Paul Bloomfield, has been told he's wanted for interview.

All worked together at Manly while sports scientist Steve Dank - one of the investigation's central figures - was co-ordinating the club's supplement program.

Former Manly head coach Des Hasler oversaw Dank's work and is also expected to be interviewed, along with other ex-Sea Eagles staff that have since joined him at Canterbury. Hasler last night said he was yet to receive a notice, while Toovey declined to comment. Hasler and Toovey have previously denied any wrongdoing at Brookvale during Dank's tenure between 2005 and 2010.

Manly have also been given the all-clear over any concerns surrounding systematic doping, with the spotlight fixed on past and present Sea Eagles players who might have privately sourced additional supplements.

Dank has also denied ever using performance-enhancing substances in the NRL.

Toovey refused to speak about ASADA's investigation into the club, where it's believed at least three current Sea Eagles players are also wanted for interview.

While Hasler has cited budgetary constraints for Dank's departure in 2010, The Daily Telegraph understands Bloomfield and other football staff held private concerns about some of his methods.

There were similar views within the club about Dank's associate, Darren Hibbert, AKA "The Gazelle".

Hibbert has confirmed that he sold permitted supplements directly to players from various clubs, including Manly.

And The Daily Telegraph has also revealed that Dank used a private clinic in Bankstown to treat players away from their clubs. ASADA has attempted to interview Dank and Hibbert, who have both denied any wrongdoing.

The NRL has vowed not to identify the players of interest. But it's already known that 14 are currently at Cronulla, while at least three are with Manly.There are another eight former Sharks, who are either retired or playing elsewhere, in the sights of investigators. While the players of interest are compelled to provide "reasonable assistance" to ASADA under the NRL rules, it remains to be seen what level of co-operation coaching staff will be expected to supply.

Legal representatives for the players are liaising with lawyers for the NRL to specifically define the players' rights.

Should they not be satisfied with the NRL's interpretation, the players could seek an injunction from the NSW Supreme Court to have a judge define their responsibilities.

Translation with telegraphisms removed

If you take out the telegraphisms, the facts from the article are:
1. Geoff Toovey, Don Singe and Paul Bloomfield worked with Stephen Dank.
2. Dank has denied ever using performance-enhancing substances in the NRL.
3. Hibbert has confirmed that he sold permitted supplements directly to players from various clubs, including Manly.
4. Legal representatives for the players are liaising with lawyers for the NRL to specifically define the players' rights.

Take out the telegraphisms, and the headline could have been "Manly coaching staff worked with Dank when he was employed by Manly" with the byline "Dank associate Hibbert sold legal supplements to NRL players".

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it?

Great stuff in dissecting the article MadMarcus. We should do this for all of the DT articles affecting Manly.

That was kind of the idea behind my site mediabeatup.net however it never really took off

Mediabeatoff.net would have taken off.

dceagle said:
I have had a gut full of our brand and image being dragged through the mud in this ridiculous circus act.

It simply has to stop .

Any persons and/or orginizations who have cast unwarranted accusations against our club, staff, and players must be held accountable to the highest level if and when possible .

You know what is funny about this is that the recent media reforms that were attempted to pass through government would have held these organisations accountable. The only groups dragging sports through the mud is the media with their baseless accusations and rumour stirring. Zero accountability in journalism these days.

The comments say it all; everyone points out the article is a waste a breath.

Here was the comment I posted early this morning...

"If Manly have been cleared of systematic doping what is the major angle with this story? That they will interview Manly Coaches to try to gain information on those who may have used supplements outside the club's program? Not sure if this is front page worthy...."

wombatgc said:
@[MadMarcus]
I'll never read a DT article the same way...brilliant stuff MM.
What's the record for most like's in a post?...you'd have to be close....you've really hit the nail on the head with your "telegraphisms" :D

Thanks Wombat. I don't think I'm up there for the most "likes" record... there have been some brilliant posts on here over the years (DSM5's Snake court updates and bones' premiership coke cans come to mind, and I'm sure there are many others), but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I think Chip and Chase got about 50 for a post last year, but I forget what it was about?

Outstanding analysis MadMarcus.

For the simpletons here, these things were written by the Telegraph, not ASADA.

Nothing to hide from drug probe, says Singe
Date April 12, 2013
Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nothing-to-hide-from-drug-probe-says-singe-20130411-2hoer.html#ixzz2Q9qgmdQe

''There's definitely nothing to hide here at Manly, we've already been cleared of that. They're doing a thorough investigation so I have no problems with the whole thing. We'll move on and go about our business.'' Toovey

Classy response.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4