Tony Williams is on Parramatta's wanted list for 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://www.zerotackle.com.au/tony-williams-resigns-years-4441/

See the think above. Tony Williams re-signed with Manly for 2 years after the grand final last year. Just another bs story from Ritchie and his cronies.

Masked Eagle said:
I know T-Rex has stated he wants to stay but the article in SMH reads to me like we still have to come to the party dollars wise. If another club offers ridiculous money and we aren't in the vacinity I think he'll take it.

You could well be right Masked Eagle, but as others have stated above, I don't think money is totally the driving factor for all players (and people for that matter).
T-Rex seems like someone who would factor happiness into the equation.

And I don't think it's naive to suggest otherwise.

Can someone please explain to me what is the different between an option in your favour and a get out clause?
On face value they appear to achieve the exact same result?
What is the difference, if any?

Clint said:
Can someone please explain to me what is the different between an option in your favour and a get out clause?

I think primarily they are the same. The only real difference might be when they are applicable. Usually the option in yours (or the clubs) favour is for the final year of a contract. Whether that be 1 + 1, or 2 +1. Whereas a release clause can generally be activated at various times in your contract, for example player signed 5 year deal with a coaching clause and the coach goes after 1 year he can get out 4 years early.

Clint said:

My understanding is at the end of this year T Rex can activate the 2nd year of his 2 year contract ( eg for 2013 ) he signed after 2011 grand final IF he wishes - BUT also he is free to leave if he gets big $$$$ elsewhere . So basically he holds the whip hand so to speak for 2013....he is guranteed a minimum amount under the Manly contract but can leave if he wants also. Hence the "option" in his favor.

Thats how it has been reported from day 1.

The Indian said:
Clint said:

My understanding is at the end of this year T Rex can activate the 2nd year of his 2 year contract ( eg for 2013 ) he signed after 2011 grand final IF he wishes - BUT also he is free to leave if he gets big $$$$ elsewhere . So basically he holds the whip hand so to speak for 2013....he is guranteed a minimum amount under the Manly contract but can leave if he wants also. Hence the "option" in his favor.

Thats how it has been reported from day 1.

Extract from the Manly Daily 24 March 2012

MATES RALLY ROUND

HIS teammates rallied round and Williams is determined to repay them and the fans when he returns.

“Man I love this club and my teammates,” he said. “I don’t want to play anywhere else and hope it can be sorted out. I want us all to stay together if we can.”

Full article:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/gentle-giant-ponders-future/

I feel confident he will remain with the Mighty Sea Eagles :sleepy:

Clint said:

From my understanding a get out clause is a specific condition that allows the player to break his contract at any time, e.g. can be mid season if a coach is replaced and their contract is linked to that coach. An option is only available at years end and allows the player to renegotiate their terms or find a better offer. In most cases the club would have first and last bidding rights.

Ha, have a look at foxsports website..everyone giving it to New ltd about tehir reporting on manly...get on and swamp them with emails

Everyone understands the value of the mighty dollar but there is still plenty of value in comradery , loyalty & a winning culture that comes into this equation.
Plus the fact going to Parramatta is like jumping off a cliff onto poison spears.......

Have to agree to disagree

You guys are talking about 1 or 2 players out of how many? What would that be...less than 1%of all players?

I would love it if it was different but I can not see it that way

On another point....the way i see how most player agents play it

1. Player is in demand from several clubs (cue supporter outrage and pressure on the club to retain said star)
2. Friend of player or source at potential club is "quoted" saying how close they are to striking up a deal. More pressure on current club
3. Deal is struck with either current team ( player quoted as never wanting to leave) or new team (player needs a new challenge, really never wanted to leave / is heart broken at the thought)

And repeat

Thanks to the 24 hour news cycle there is a content drain which is filled by the endless speculation etc

I find it hard to believe any fans put stock in the "i never want to leave" line

I'm sick to death with all the speculation about players going here or there.

FFS it's only round 5 and all we read in the media is about who's going where.

The NRL have to do something about it or 2012 will be over before you know it and all the talk will be about player/coach movements.

2011 we win the GF and we can't enjoy it because signings were announced straight after it. 2012 is going to be even worse.

My enjoyment of Rugby League is waning with all this BS and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

swoop said:
I'm sick to death with all the speculation about players going here or there.

FFS it's only round 5 and all we read in the media is about who's going where.

The NRL have to do something about it or 2012 will be over before you know it and all the talk will be about player/coach movements.

2011 we win the GF and we can't enjoy it because signings were announced straight after it. 2012 is going to be even worse.

My enjoyment of Rugby League is waning with all this BS and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm with you Swoop, all this signing stuff is annoying. I just want to watch the team defend their title this year. At present we have the team to do that, next year will take care of it self.

As I said in the other thread, B Stewart, K Foran, DCE and M Ballin together - the rest can go where they like.

If The Eels want to fork out $800k per season for Hoppa, $400k per season for Lussick and $450k per season for T-Rex (let alone guys like Hayne, Tonga, Sandow & co.), then they are going to be pretty thin where it counts.

The way i see it, any player that is not off contract in 2013 and is without a clause for a % increase in pay or a renegotiation clause based on the outcome of the TV Deal needs a new manager.

I believe that is the Sole reason we are seeing so much of it this year just before the new rights deal not just at manly but all clubs.

Can't blame any player for trying to maxamise their $$ and it's not just our club i would imagine every club is dealing with this issue, just seems it's not played out as much in the papers but that will never change the media hate us.

I am with Swoop on this one. Why is it, that our club seems to be, the only one with contract negotiations being dragged out through the media?

What sucks, is that, i thought we had these players already signed. Could this not have waited until the end of the season?

Ryan said:
As I said in the other thread, B Stewart, K Foran, DCE and M Ballin together - the rest can go where they like.

If The Eels want to fork out $800k per season for Hoppa, $400k per season for Lussick and $450k per season for T-Rex (let alone guys like Hayne, Tonga, Sandow & co.), then they are going to be pretty thin where it counts.

Lussick is worth half of that.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Ryan said:

Lussick is worth half of that.
Let Lussick go, we won't miss him, but we will certainly miss T-Rex if he goes.

lsz said:
Have to agree to disagree

You guys are talking about 1 or 2 players out of how many? What would that be...less than 1%of all players?

I would love it if it was different but I can not see it that way

On another point....the way i see how most player agents play it

1. Player is in demand from several clubs (cue supporter outrage and pressure on the club to retain said star)
2. Friend of player or source at potential club is "quoted" saying how close they are to striking up a deal. More pressure on current club
3. Deal is struck with either current team ( player quoted as never wanting to leave) or new team (player needs a new challenge, really never wanted to leave / is heart broken at the thought)

And repeat

Thanks to the 24 hour news cycle there is a content drain which is filled by the endless speculation etc

I find it hard to believe any fans put stock in the "i never want to leave" line
I think in T Rex there would be a fair bit of validity on the loyalty factor - Manly signed him as a reserve grade Parramatta winger & now he a 2nd rower who has a GF & represents Australia as a Seaeagle.
Also seems a legitimate good bloke not just out to take the fattest wallet - maybe take a little less for far more success.
IF he leaves Manly I hope he has the brains to keep away from Parramatta - that would kill his career instantly.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4