Tom Wright: Where do you put him?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I watched the last 2 games our Manly U20s side played in the finals and I fail to see any of them kicking on to NRL level. I thought Tom Wright was ordinary. If he can't dominate at that level then what hope has he of stepping up. They were a gutsy side and it was a great effort for them to get up in the GF. Still, I didn't see too many players (if any) in the side that I'd be upset at losing.

I remember watching Foran play at that level and he was head and shoulders above all other players. You just knew he was up to NRL level.

I watched the last 2 games our Manly U20s side played in the finals and I fail to see any of them kicking on to NRL level. I thought Tom Wright was ordinary. If he can't dominate at that level then what hope has he of stepping up. They were a gutsy side and it was a great effort for them to get up in the GF. Still, I didn't see too many players (if any) in the side that I'd be upset at losing.

I remember watching Foran play at that level and he was head and shoulders above all other players. You just knew he was up to NRL level.
Did you watch Foran's last 2 under 20s finals?they went out in straight sets! I remember Foran went MIA big time.

So, by your logic there are no Under 20s in the 16 clubs that will make it to first grade. We WON the premiership and apparently don't have any prospects so the 15 lesser clubs must have even less talent....
Your post is ridiculous. Among a heap of good players there are some outstanding prospects: nos. 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 13 plus reserves 15 and 17, and two injured players in Tent and Parker.

So, by your logic there are no Under 20s in the 16 clubs that will make it to first grade. We WON the premiership and apparently don't have any prospects so the 15 lesser clubs must have even less talent....
Your post is ridiculous. Among a heap of good players there are some outstanding prospects: nos. 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 13 plus reserves 15 and 17, and two injured players in Tent and Parker.
I saw what I saw. I saw better long term prospects in the two teams we beat. Of the players I saw playing for us in those two games I was so unimpressed that I cannot even remember their names. I repeat, I only saw those two games. I'll be surprised if we ever see any of them play NRL for us.

@The Who & @Frank
Something of Interest for you guys perhaps ....
NYC 2008 Grand final winners Canberra
Players that made NRL
Dugan , Crocker , Vidot , Fensom , Jarrard Kennedy
2009 Melbourne Storm ,Widdop ,Justin Oneill ,Bromwich,Proctor, Mclean , Rochow
2010 Warriors , Tupou , Ben Henry , Feki
2011 Warriors , Feki , Hurrel
2012 Tigers , Nofoaluma , Koroibete
2013 Penrith ,Cartwright ,Blake ,Campbell-Gillard,Zelezniak , Yeo
2014 Warriors , Brad Abbey , Kata, Lolohea, Toafofoa Sipley,
2015 Penrith , Edwards , Fishwer -Harris , Harawira , Robert Jennings , Tyron May,Leota
2016 Roosters ,
I don't think any have made NRL ?????

1. Kiah Cooper

2. Bernard Lewis

3. Joseph Manu

4. Jarred Anderson

5. Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck

6. Paul Momirovski

7. Jesse Marschke

8. Poasa Faamausili

9. Grant Garvey

10. Ben Thomas

11. Reuben Porter

12. Victor Radley

13. Nat Butcher

INTERCHANGE

14. Brendan Frei

15. Sitili Tupouniua

16. Jarrett Boland

18. Sukamanu Raki

I saw what I saw. I saw better long term prospects in the two teams we beat. Of the players I saw playing for us in those two games I was so unimpressed that I cannot even remember their names. I repeat, I only saw those two games. I'll be surprised if we ever see any of them play NRL for us.

Hence why you dont judge a book by its cover, or a player after two games. Plenty of talent in that 20's side. Correct not all will play NRL but would be surprised if a couple dont debut for us next year (Fainu, Funa) and a few more over the next couple of seasons with Manly or somewhere else.

Time will tell. I would say give it 12 months. Experience ie brad Parker and Kelly shows the need to play v adults for a while.

Hence why you dont judge a book by its cover, or a player after two games. Plenty of talent in that 20's side. Correct not all will play NRL but would be surprised if a couple dont debut for us next year (Fainu, Funa) and a few more over the next couple of seasons with Manly or somewhere else.
When you look back at our premiership-winning 2008 side you'll see the important role that Heath Le'Strange played as a second hooker to Ballin. He really sparked the team when he came off the reserves bench. As much as I'm a fan of Api it is hard for him to maintain the standard for 80 minutes. So having Fainu on the bench could work. This kid is a beauty, and showed real leadership when he was made captain late in the season.

Tom Wright was not chased and trained to be a reserve grader. He'll be a first grade player next year at some stage on the wing or centre. Same goes for Anderson (wing, fullback). Maybe not permanent fixtures at first but by 2019 I can see them both securing permanent spots at Manly or elsewhere. Both need time to develop further but they have the skills and play well off each other (one thing not noticed was the number of times Anderson followed Wright and made good ground). Funa could be another Matai and can play centre, wing and full back and also should get a game or two next year. Cust and Fainu could be good backups for first grade and may get a look in. There's also a couple of forwards who within two years (maybe less) could toughen up for first grade. But I doubt any, barring numerous injuries in firsts, will secure a permanent spot in '18 unless Barrett decides that Fainu or Parker could be a good cover for the forwards and backs for Parker and hooker and half for Fainu on the bench. But having the sheer pace of Wright and Anderson in your backline alongside DCE, Green, Walker, TT, Kelly could be a sight to behold when they are ready. Taufua and Uate though will be the wings for '18

Last edited:
The side also had Beaver on the bench in 08 to cover any back line contingencies , and in recent times of course Manly has been mainly going with three exclusive forwards plus a utility on the bench . Great prospect in Fainu but whether he can be accommodated in Manly ' s present bench composition or rotation is another matter of course . Probably in the short term, either Brown or a hopefully focused Hastings. [ 1066 ] is most likely to be the norm again , maybe not overly inspiring as things are at present but again probably the reality . It will be interesting to see how Parker , Kelly and Tom Wright come through the off season , certainly plenty of incentive to put in big efforts to be at their best for next year"s trials . Also of course ideal for youngsters Funa and Kioa to also strive to improve themselves during the break .

When you look back at our premiership-winning 2008 side you'll see the important role that Heath Le'Strange played as a second hooker to Ballin. He really sparked the team when he came off the reserves bench. As much as I'm a fan of Api it is hard for him to maintain the standard for 80 minutes. So having Fainu on the bench could work. This kid is a beauty, and showed real leadership when he was made captain late in the season.
You hit the nail on the head when you say our 2008 premiership winning team had a hooker who came off the bench and added spark to the team . We need quality players off the bench to run on and run wild . Lets get rid off the dead wood that we have around the joint that take up precious salary cap space .

Last edited:
Parker is my pick
Yeah I would think he would start round 1 with Kelly. Dylan I say be a round 3-4 back.
I say our 17 for round one would be
Tommy, Jorge, Kelly/wright, Parker, uate, green, dce. Jake, Siro, frank, lussick, API, tapau.
Bench - addin, perrett, sipley, Cullen/brown.
One can only hope we snag Joel Thompson however the longer no announcement drags on he may stay. Long term someone needs to step up on that edge for frank.
Jorge imo turns us into top 4 with his metres from the back.
From the kids I am expect tom wright, Anderson to play some firsts but there development in nsw cup is essential.

You hit the nail on the head when you say our 2008 premiership winning team had a hooker who came off the bench and added spark to the team . We need quality players off the bench to run on and run wild . Lets get rid off the dead wood that we have around the joint that take up precious salary cap space .
I agree we need to be rid of the dead wood. Who do you see in this group? I would say Lewis Brown, Jono Wright and imo Shaun Lane. I also don't think we need both Cameron Cullen and Jackson Hastings. I rate them, but we don't need both of them when you have the young Cronulla u20s player, Cade Cust and Tom Wright in the wider squad.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8