Tom turbo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
The whole Gladstone fiasco still isnt clear to me - do we know who actually broke curfew & if it was definitely breaking a direct order from Barrett?

The way it's been reported you'd think DCE & 5 other players (the Gladstone 6) all told Barrett to get farked after he ordered them to go to bed, then went to the stripclub & all bitched & backstabbed Hastings until DCE got all worked up & decided to go back to the hotel & put Hastings through a wall with the rest of TG6 behind him & only poor Shaun Lane there sticking up for Hastings.

If you bumped into Corey Norman at the Star he’d probably hit you up for pingers
If you bumped into Corey at the star it would probably mean you were on your knees trousers down and chasing lines all around the men's sh1tters. Wouldn't wish that on any one. Other than Greenturd that is.

DCE directly disobeyed Barrett as captain of the team, and went out (to a strip club) despite him.

DCE got a slap on the wrist.

Not too gentlemanly if you ask me.

When Moylan disobeyed his coach at Penrith, he was dropped to reserve grade, and it spelled the start of the end for him.

Different expectations and accountability.

Jake should be our long term captain. For that alone.
Didn't Hastings recently say he was out and admit blame for everything that happened..?

It’s crazy to think that Brett Stewart didn’t get a Dally M in the season 2008. He was the top try scorer and beat billy in almost every stat a fullback could have. I remember that season well and he really was the standout and player of the year.

Maybe it will was my Silvertails glasses though.

It’s crazy to think that Brett Stewart didn’t get a Dally M in the season 2008. He was the top try scorer and beat billy in almost every stat a fullback could have. I remember that season well and he really was the standout and player of the year.

It is not your silvertails glasses, he was incredible that year. I have watched a few snake highlights recently and his deftness of passing was out of this world. The last try in the 2008 GF Exhibit A.

However, the Dally M positional awards go to the highest vote polling player in that position. That year Ox won overall so would have taken votes away from Snake.

It’s like last year how BJ Leilua won centre of the year when L Mitchell smoked all comers.

DCE directly disobeyed Barrett as captain of the team, and went out (to a strip club) despite him.

When Moylan disobeyed his coach at Penrith, he was dropped to reserve grade, and it spelled the start of the end for him.

Hastings broke curfew, he admitted that last week.

I think Slater actually won the Golden Boot in 2008 as well. I wonder what he remembers most the Boot or the 40 Nil arse ducking we gave them

Hastings broke curfew, he admitted that last week.

I really don't care if Hastings broke curfew, had an argument and scuffled with DCE, soiled his sheets, what ever. OK he had a personality issue. We've got players in this comp having committed serious criminal acts. OK he's not fitting in as well as he should. Maybe he's being disrespectful. Does that mean, with the club almost spoon heading, that the coach should exile him to lower grades (where he was still receiving his full pay), and then sent off to Coventry...sorry Salford.

The kid had a skilful attacking and defensive game sadly lacking last year. Who gets hurt exiling him? I may not know the whole story but in my opinion Barrett handled the situation like an amateur (not using Tom Wright on the wing was a further example). If the kid needed punishment, do it as a learning process, A couple of weeks in the lower grade to get his head together (which I understood he did). The final decision to give him the flick was dumb.

Just as a side comment, have we noticed that he went to Salford, a team on the verge of relegation and helped them avoid being dumped from Superleague. Now he and Joey Lussick are prominent in having Salford leading the SuperLeague comp after two rounds. Seems the coach there knows his worth and how to deal with him.

Last edited:

Nothing against Jake, one day he will be one of the great Manly captains along the lines of Freddy Jones, Bozo, Thrower, Fatty, Snoz, Tooves, Beaver, Ox and Killer. But there is a difference between being a good bloke and being a good captain.

Jake as captain right now would not be good even if he does tick all the boxes....local junior, passionate about the club and the game, and already an established rep player. In today's game a good captain has to not only lead by example but also needs to be a good diplomat when dealing with the refs. Until he learns to curb his emotions on the field, Jake as captain would be throwing fuel on the fire the way he carries on like a pork chop every time things go against us. And that is while he is the vice-captain.....

Is kicking the ball away or going off at the refs when we give away a penalty leading by example? What good is it if your captain is continually marched 10 for back chat and then sin-binned when the refs have had enough??

For all of his good points, Jake's the most penalised player in the NRL right now. That is not what you want from your on-field team leader.

And just one question.....do you honestly want Cherry dropped to reserve grade over a player who has had known behaviour issues at every club he's been at.....on both sides of the globe?

Last edited:
I think Tom will be a rep player for a long time to come, much like Inglis he can play Centre and FB and his versatility will be highly valued for any selector

Tom is our modern day Rowdy Shearer. Best position is fullback and he's arguably the best in the NRL in the position, but you can put him anywhere in the backline and he will still kill it.

Rowdy played 26 games for Qld.....only 5 of them were at fullback. He played 10 on the wing, 4 at centre, 5 from the bench and 2 at five-eighth. He also played 21 tests for Australia, and only 3 of them were at fullback. Most of his test career (14 games) was spent on the wing. He didn't actually play (start) at fullback until his 19th Origin and 19th Test.

Tom is a fullback for Manly and that's where he should be with us, but in rep footy due to his speed and versatility he's a utility back and will likely only play fullback if players like Tedesco are either out injured or out of form enough not to be picked at all.

Last edited:

Even though Slater was picked ahead of Snake for the Centenary Test at the SCG in 2008, from what I have heard he was actually chosen as the #1 fullback in the Kangaroos World Cup squad that year and would have been the test fullback had he not been forced to withdraw due to a shoulder injury.

Unfortunately for Snake, Slater went on have a good World Cup (up until his brain explosion in the Final). Then came the bad start to 2009, plus doing his ACL in both 2009 and 2010 and by the time he returned, Slater was firmly established as the test #1. He was picked for the 2011 Four Nations and probably would have got his test spot back after Slater's self induced shoulder injury when he tried his shoulder charge on Ryan Hall.....but he'd again been forced to withdraw with injury before the tournament started and the backup job went to Daruis Boyd, and with 1nglis also in the side they actually had 2 backup fullbacks. And that was basically it as far as his test chances went.

Its a shame that Snake, as good as he was, only played the one test match in his career. And injuries aside it wasn't helped by the fact that Qld was dominating Origin which in turn saw them dominate test selection.

I really don't care if Hastings broke curfew, had an argument and scuffled with DCE, soiled his sheets, what ever. OK he had a personality issue. We've got players in this comp having committed serious criminal acts. OK he's not fitting in as well as he should. Maybe he's being disrespectful. Does that mean, with the club almost spoon heading, that the coach should exile him to lower grades (where he was still receiving his full pay), and then sent of the Coventry...sorry Salford.

The kid had a skilful attacking and defensive game sadly lacking last year. Who gets hurt exiling him? I may not know the whole story but in my opinion Barrett handled the situation like an amateur (not using Tom Wright on the wing was a further example). If the kid needed punishment, do it as a learning process, A couple of weeks in the lower grade to get his head together (which I understood he did). The final decision to give him the flick was dumb.

Just as a side comment, have we noticed that he went to Salford, a team on the verge of relegation and helped them avoid being dumped from Superleague. Now he and Joey Lussick are prominent in having Salford leading the SuperLeague comp after two rounds. Seems the coach there knows his worth and how to deal with him.
Yeah Barrett's hard-on he had for 5 minutes about discipline with Hastings being lined up as his whipping boy was, well... in hindsight one of many dumb moves by a dumb coach who was hopelessly out his depth...

However, the Dally M positional awards go to the highest vote polling player in that position. That year Ox won overall so would have taken votes away from Snake.

It’s like last year how BJ Leilua won centre of the year when L Mitchell smoked all comers.
Except when they don’t.

I found Barrett's hardline stance against Hastings strange, considering the news when Hastings joined Manly was all about how he & Baz had known each other since Hastings was a kid because they were neighbors & that Baz would spend hours with him kicking the ball around back in the day - they really spread the whole 'father figure for missing father figure' idea on thick.

I found Barrett's hardline stance against Hastings strange, considering the news when Hastings joined Manly was all about how he & Baz had known each other since Hastings was a kid because they were neighbors & that Baz would spend hours with him kicking the ball around back in the day - they really spread the whole 'father figure for missing father figure' idea on thick.

True, but maybe that’s actually why Barrett took the hard line with him - was probably more of a kick in the teeth (blow to the ego?) that Hastings still carried on like a pork chop even under a coach he had that sort of pre-existing relationship with. Barrett probably went into it thinking it was all sunshine and lollipops and he’d be able to get Hastings to toe the line where other clubs/coaches had failed to. There’d be extra embarrassment if he also vouched for him to the club before he was signed.

Really?
Under the pressure applied for his spot by whom?

You're a very hard marker buddy if you think his form as captain, goalkicker, chief playmaker warranted him being dropped.
Hmmm so 2nd last is ok with you? Because thats what your chief play maker captain goal kicker got for us. Really we should of been last we were that bad ir have you forgotten. Dce was horrible during the season and deserved to be dropped numerous times. 2nd last and you think im being a hard marker.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8