Tom Trbojevic destined to be one of the greats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't agree with that. Be good to see Koula get a run of games at fullback, or maybe Weekes. One door closes, another opens..
You’re really happy gambling our success on an injury-prone genius possibly coming back for a cameo showing and snagging premiership glory? Really?

Look, I get it with the concerns over his hamstring problems which hopefully are now being managed. But a shoulder injury caused by falling awkwardly does not make him an injury riddled player. I can almost hear the abuse he would have got if he hadn't chased back and a try had been awarded (and we all know it would have been) I'm looking forward to Tom coming back better next year with a point to prove. This year was already looking like it was dead in the water anyway

Which post had the injury stats and games played per year comparison between brett Stewart and Tom?
I don't know the stats on Snake but all the doomsday talk got me thinking about Anthony Minichiello.

A quick search...
2004 - Fullback of the Year, Player of the Series in Tri-Nations
2005 - Golden Boot, Player of the Series in Tri-NationS, RLIF Back of the Year, Wally Lewis Medallist.

Sound familiar?

Then he played a total of....23 games over the next four seasons!

The next four seasons he averaged 24 games per season, played in 2 GF's, won 1, played Origin and retired as a one club man.

Which post had the injury stats and games played per year comparison between brett Stewart and Tom?
I don't know the stats on Snake but all the doomsday talk got me thinking about Anthony Minichiello.

A quick search...
2004 - Fullback of the Year, Player of the Series in Tri-Nations
2005 - Golden Boot, Player of the Series in Tri-NationS, RLIF Back of the Year, Wally Lewis Medallist.

Sound familiar?

Then he played a total of....23 games over the next four seasons!

The next four seasons he averaged 24 games per season, played in 2 GF's, won 1, played Origin and retired as a one club man.
I never thought about Antony Minichiello. But thanks anyway

The Terrific Tom will be back
Back doing what he does best for us Terrorising the opposition

Don't know when . Don't know where
But I know Tom will be back again some sunny day

When he does come back...... Once again It will be teams beware !
Some would fairly argue, what he does best is get injured.

Some would fairly argue, what he does best is get injured.
Slater
Stewart
Tedesco
Minichiello

All had horrid runs with injuries - but all fantastic fullbacks in their time. The value of time allows us to recognise that, they were all wiped out for large portions of seasons and years. But we know the skill they had and what they brought to the team.

Some would fairly argue that what you do best is banging on about the same thing

Last edited:
Slater
Stewart
Tedesco
Minichiello
All had horrid run with injuries - but all fantastic fullbacks in their time. The value of time allows us to recognise that, they were all wiped out for large portions of seasons and years. But we know the skill they had and what they brought to the team.

Some would argue that what you do best is banging on about the same thing
I hope like hell Turbo will join those ranks… but the reality is he has had a shipload of major injuries and not reached the heights of those you listed (in terms of longevity and achievements) yet. We are hoping on a purple patch to match those freaks and not taking into account the reality of all those whose careers are cruelled by injury. I bang on far less than Turbo bangs on with injuries. It’s crazy how some get uppity about those who point out the historical patterns. I’m as happy as you if Turbo re-writes the books, but don’t need to have a dig at me for pointing out the glaring pattern to date.

@voicefromthehill… this one’s for you. Yes, we rock and Turbo is the greatest. Just an unlucky glitch he has copped these injuries to date. He will come back and replicate, or even surpass, his 2021 season. It’s so sad to see one so talented get such a raw deal from life. Watch him give up… umm… chocolate? and kill it in 2023 with his totally awesome bros. We are on our way to a dynasty as soon as his minor injury setbacks are put behind us

I hope like hell Turbo will join those ranks… but the reality is he has had a shipload of major injuries and not reached the heights of those you listed (in terms of longevity and achievements) yet. We are hoping on a purple patch to match those freaks and not taking into account the reality of all those whose careers are cruelled by injury. I bang on far less than Turbo bangs on with injuries. It’s crazy how some get uppity about those who point out the historical patterns. I’m as happy as you if Turbo re-writes the books, but don’t need to have a dig at me for pointing out the glaring pattern to date.
We had 2 years where Stewart played a total of 6 games.....several years where he was out for a few weeks. Yet it is fair to say that we can't yet compare the 2 careers.

However the worst 2 year period of games played for Tom is 19. Even if he doesn't play another game this year his 2 year record (21-22) is 25 games played. My issue is people that let irrational emotion overshadow facts.
Please also advise how Turbo could have prevented a shoulder dislocation while trying to prevent the Eels from scoring? I would have to assume the same people angry about him getting injured (I can only assume some think it is done purposefully) would be criticising for lack of effort if the Eels did score in the same play.

From experience I know how freakish injuries can be (and Im not a bombalada), I have snapped an achilles running up some stairs, dislocated a shoulder playing squash, did an MCL playing touch, dislocated shoulder body surfing, dislocated shoulder coming off my bike. Never was it extreme just angle of exertion, my competitor making body contact etc. My wife once ripped her hamstring from the bone skiing, but the fall looked like nothing - and again she was fit and strong. **** happens

Just because a person is paid to play doesn't mean they won't succumb to injury and in fact it is fair to say Tom is a target of teams because he is so good. Injury prone is a myth - getting injured in exerting yourself to be the best for your team fact.

Maybe we should ask Tom to care less about the team and its success and he won't put himself in a position to be injured...

@voicefromthehill… this one’s for you. Yes, we rock and Turbo is the greatest. Just an unlucky glitch he has copped these injuries to date. He will come back and replicate, or even surpass, his 2021 season. It’s so sad to see one so talented get such a raw deal from life. Watch him give up… umm… chocolate? and kill it in 2023 with his totally awesome bros. We are on our way to a dynasty as soon as his minor injury setbacks are put behind us
Hopefully admins can soon create a yawn emoji

Your facetiousness reveals more than you realise

also if you want to tag me don't add ... at the end of my name - just trying to help you out.

Last edited:
We had 2 years where Stewart played a total of 6 games.....several years where he was out for a few weeks. Yet it is fair to say that we can't yet compare the 2 careers.

However the worst 2 year period of games played for Tom is 19. Even if he doesn't play another game this year his 2 year record (21-22) is 25 games played. My issue is people that let irrational emotion overshadow facts.
Please also advise how Turbo could have prevented a shoulder dislocation while trying to prevent the Eels from scoring? I would have to assume the same people angry about him getting injured (I can only assume some think it is done purposefully) would be criticising for lack of effort if the Eels did score in the same play.

From experience I know how freakish injuries can be (and Im not a bombalada), I have snapped an achilles running up some stairs, dislocated a shoulder playing squash, did an MCL playing touch, dislocated shoulder body surfing, dislocated shoulder coming off my bike. Never was it extreme just angle of exertion, my competitor making body contact etc. My wife once ripped her hamstring from the bone skiing, but the fall looked like nothing - and again she was fit and strong. **** happens

Just because a person is paid to play doesn't mean they won't succumb to injury and in fact it is fair to say Tom is a target of teams because he is so good. Injury prone is a myth - getting injured in exerting yourself to be the best for your team fact.

Maybe we should ask Tom to care less about the team and its success and he won't put himself in a position to be injured...

Everyone loves and adores Tom. EVERYONE. But with the salary cap he soaks up, we NEED players like that on the field, particularly because we are so top heavy. The teams Brett Stewart had in his prime, was completely littered with talent, class and skill.

I actually don't agree Snake was injured more often, sorry.

This current team struggles week to week to not allow blowout scores against us.

Therefore, the importance of a player like Tom being healthy is paramount. More so now, than when Brett Stewart played.

Also, it's probably better to look at average games per year / career statistically to be fairer. Include all of them except trials (include finals & everything):

Over 14 years, Brett Stewart played 264 games (or 18.85 games a year)
Over 8 years, Tom Trbojevic played 135 games (or 16.87 games a year)

Surprising really. They are actually health wise "pretty much" the same (Snake playing 2 more games on average a season I guess).

Everyone loves and adores Tom. EVERYONE. But with the salary cap he soaks up, we NEED players like that on the field, particularly because we are so top heavy. The teams Brett Stewart had in his prime, was completely littered with talent, class and skill.

I actually don't agree Snake was injured more often, sorry.

This current team struggles week to week to not allow blowout scores against us.

Therefore, the importance of a player like Tom being healthy is paramount. More so now, than when Brett Stewart played.

Also, it's probably better to look at average games per year / career statistically to be fairer. Include all of them except trials (include finals & everything):

Over 14 years, Brett Stewart played 264 games (or 18.85 games a year)
Over 8 years, Tom Trbojevic played 135 games (or 16.87 games a year)

Surprising really. They are actually health wise "pretty much" the same (Snake playing 2 more games on average a season I guess).
Or using their first 8 years as a fair measure - Brett played only 14.75 per season, I get Tom at 15.12 (assuming he doesn't play again this year)

Point being we can't write a current player off - nor rose colour our view of past players

Also I didn't say Brett was injured more often. was merely highlighting the fact we did go for large portions of seasons without him, that can't be denied.

Your point about the cap is noted and I don't disagree - but what is the solution? I know you will give a thoughtful reply

And just to create a wrinkle in your reply - what is the contractual exclusions you would suggest to give us the ability to dump someone following a level of injury that is deemed unacceptable.

Last edited:
Turbo isn't in Snakes shadow, sorry. Tommy had his career year (also cruelled with injury early on), but around that, in my opinion, he's just a fantastic fullback (probably top 2-5 in the league).
You forgot to say he is also a top rated centre and winger and if he was played there would probably be a top class forward. He is a freak of a footballer and top class person, we are lucky to have him. I would rather have a Bugatti in the garage waiting on a part to get it on the road than make do with a Toyota

I don’t recall ever saying anything about Snake. And quite frankly, I couldn’t care less whether Turbo intentionally gets injured, subconsciously creates it, or suffers the wrath of jealous footy gods. Bottom line, he’s not on the field and spends large chunks out which kills this current team.

If Turbo’s injuries are the result of Turbo over-exerting himself (as you have hypothesised) then yes, we should ask him to stop pushing so hard and see how things go for the team with him on the field regularly and exerting himself less (and that’s assuming your hypothesis about his injuries are correct). We could then decide if either option works for the team moving forward. It ain’t working now.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8