Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Today's Manly Daily (Blindside) has Mitchell Pearce with us in 2010, I reckon Carney would be a great pcikup and is a better player than Pearce but you would be taking a big risk signing him, especially with the bright lights of Manly and KingsX only a short taxi ride away.  It is a risk Des wouldn't want to take especially if Pearce is an option.

see i dont rate pearce at all
carney on the other hand has it all.

hes just had a massive kick in the guts losing his dad i think thats enough to see him grow up a bit

There was a story in the Telegraph last week that claimed a lot of Carney's bad behavior was linked to his father being sick with Alzheimer's.

His father recently died and he may now clean up his act.

Carney is brilliant. If any club could sort him out it would be us. How many years as Ox got left?

Utility Player link said:
There was a story in the Telegraph last week that claimed a lot of Carney's bad behavior was linked to his father being sick with Alzheimer's.

His father recently died and he may now clean up his act.

It's going to do either of 2 things to him
1) He is going to see the light, smarten up, train hard and be the player everyone talks about or
2) It's going to drive him to the drink / whatever else even more.

It's up to him. The bigger question I think is why did Canberra play so well after he was gone??????

Pearce is not the player Carney is.  Chalk and Cheese really.  Carney is cool under pressure, has a match winning head and plays straight.  Pearce panics, has little authority around him, and is easily put of his game.  Brittle in defense as well.  Why would we purchase him?  If he was any good the Rorters surely wouldn't let him go.  I don't mean this to be a slight on LeSnak, he was way under the radar and an excellent pickup, but Pearce is just not good enough to be with us.  His playing style reminds me of Luke Dorn. 

DSM5 link said:
Pearce is just not good enough to be with us.  His playing style reminds me of Luke Dorn. 

What year did Luke Dorn play state of origin?

If Des and crusher want Pearce then their track record speaks for itself and he will be good enough to lead us to another premiership.  Carney has too much baggage at the moment.

Anyone who pisses on another bloke is a dickhead and Manly has a no dickhead policy (thank god this site doesn't have the same policy). 

DSM5 link said:
Pearce is not the player Carney is.  Chalk and Cheese really.  Carney is cool under pressure, has a match winning head and plays straight.  Pearce panics, has little authority around him, and is easily put of his game.  Brittle in defense as well.  Why would we purchase him?  If he was any good the Rorters surely wouldn't let him go.  I don't mean this to be a slight on LeSnak, he was way under the radar and an excellent pickup, but Pearce is just not good enough to be with us.  His playing style reminds me of Luke Dorn. 

I don't know where you picked up the brittle in defence bit from, imo he is 1 of the toughest defending little guys around, and is only 19. Carney had acheived nothing at 19 that Pearce has

The "If he was any goodl" comment doesn't really stand up over many examples either. Looking at our current side, Kite wasn't good enough for the Dragons to want to keep, and in recent years Kennedy wasn't good enough for the Knights to keep

As tookey mentioned, I will probably have to go with Des, Crusher and i guess Tooveys input on our halves.

They didn't rate Burns, Witt or Groom as worthy of ones worth perservering with, and have been proven correct there, while not at any stage bowing to the media and fan pressure to take Lyon out of the halves, which again turned out to be spot on as we see the trophy in our cabinet

Pearce, a State of Origin matchwinner?  And what's an 'anther prbookie' Tooks?  Carney is a better half than Pearce, full stop. 

Carney is a good player but I have not seen him stand up, take control and stamp his authority on a game.  Pearce seems like a good prospect, although he should not have played Origin this year.

As a few have said above I think Des and the staff know a good player when they see one. 

Pearce seems like the type of player that Dessie would love, tough, hard-working, slow, lacking the class of top-liners. Carney is about 5 levels above Pearce talent wise.

I guess you've got to weigh up the off-field issues as well though. Where Pearce allegedly loves a regular rub and tug around town, Carney loves breaking the law substantially.

Carney ftw.

DSM5 link said:
Pearce, a State of Origin matchwinner?  And what's an 'anther prbookie' Tooks?  Carney is a better half than Pearce, full stop. 

anther prbookie is the same as another bloke except typed when someone's had a few drinks. 

Carney no doubt has a lot of talent but will he ever produce it consistantly on the football field?  Judging by how well the raiders went after he left maybe he wasn't that good afterall?

He has proven nothing at this stage whereas Pearce has been considered good enough to play SOO which speaks for itself.  Pearce will be a much better and more constant player in 2009 ready for when he come st us in 2010.

Under Dessie's regime, Carney could produce his best and get to the heights I think he can.  I think he was producing the goods week in week out at the Raiders until the pissing on the leg incident and it all went downhill from there.  We have our share of potential drinkheads but we seem to keep them out of trouble, so we could do the same with Carney.  Put a clause in his contract.

Time for some soapboxing:
I'm sick of talented players gone bad being given never ending chances. Stuff 'em. Carney is dirt, most likely always will be dirt and we shouldn't have anything to do with him.
<steps down>

Couldn't be bothered making a new topic, but Carney won't be playing ESL this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if he starts training with a club in prep for 2010:

Carney refused visa
Written by: Steven Williams
Jan 9, 2009 10:19am

Huddersfield Giants recruit Todd Carney has been refused visa clearance by UK authorities, effectively barring him from taking part in the European Super League in 2009.

In a prepared media release, Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis made the announcement overnight, stating that Carney's application had been rejected.

“It is clearly a disappointment for Todd as he was looking forward to playing in Super League." Thewlis said.

"His circumstances are well documented and we felt that on balance he would be unlikely not to be granted a visa however despite our best efforts his application has been rejected.

"We must now abide by the ruling and move forward accordingly.”

It's understood Carney's chequered history in Australia - which includes drink driving offences - were part of the reason why the former Canberra Raiders halfback was denied entry into Britain.

The news places Carney in rugby league exile with the NRL yesterday standing by it's decision to ban the 22-year-old from playing.

The NRL did not officially deregistered Carney when the Raiders sacked him for off-field offences last August. The NRL however, have stated that it will refuse any applications for registration before 2010.

Good old strict UK working Visa's, nice to see it's not happening to a prospective EPL player for once.

Surely he'll run around for the Queenbeayan Queens or something?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8