Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Raiders put in counter bid for Carney

February 29, 2008

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

CANBERRA chief executive Don Furner says the Raiders have "as good a chance as any" NRL club of signing their keenly-sought playmaker Todd Carney on a long-term deal.

The Raiders put in a counter bid to keep the 22-year-old after rivals Manly and Penrith tabled lucrative offers this week, reportedly worth $1.6 million over four years from 2009.

"We put another offer through. I'm not commenting on money," Furner said.

"Am I confident? We're as good a chance as any. I was always aware that they were trying to get him."

If we were originally offering around 350k, then you'd have to think the revised deal would have to be near the 400k mark offered by Penrith and Manly.

I don't even think he's worth 400k, and this coming from one of his biggest fans.

If he walks away from the Raiders, after all they've stood by him, and given him an exceptionally fair market deal ... well, I'll leave my negative comments about him if/when that happens.

Definitely worth the gamble. If he keeps out of trouble then he's a very good chance at being a long term NSW player at the very least.

Bozo backs Carney bid

Jason Avedissian

1 March 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/03/01/9011_sports.html

The Sea Eagles are actively chasing the signature of Canberra ace Todd Carney.

MANLY great Bob Fulton has endorsed the Sea Eagles pursuit of Raiders playmaker Todd Carney.

The 22-year-old is believed to be keen on a move away from Canberra to increase his representative chances.

The Raiders, Penrith and Manly are in a three-way tangle to secure the youngster.

Fulton told The Manly Daily yesterday Carney would be an invaluable acquisition for the Sea Eagles 2009 roster.

"The kid can play," Fulton said last night.

"From the club's point of view it's good management that they are thinking that far ahead.

"There's lots of good judges who rate him and obviously Manly have a high opinion of him. This is about the future of the club."

Raiders CEO Don Furner told the Daily Carney is a "50-50" chance of remaining in the nation's capital.

"We are trying our best," he said yesterday, with a touch of gloom in his voice.

"He has always been in our long term future plans. We'll give it our best shot.

"We have put in our last offer and hopefully we'll get an answer before the season kick-off. It's 50-50 at the moment."

Penrith general manager Michael Leary said all his club could do now was "sit and wait".

"We are just waiting to see what the kid wants to do," he said.

Carney is being viewed as a five-eighth at Manly in 2009.

Manly boss Grant Mayer said the Sea Eagles have not made an offer to Carney, but are interested.

"He's a very good player," Mayer said.

"But, we still strongly believe his current club are favourites to sign him."

Meanwhile Sea Eagles hooker Matt Ballin has expressed a desire to be involved with a Sunshine Coast team should they be admitted into the NRL in the future.

"If a team was based here down the track, I'd love to be involved because I intend coming back to the Sunshine Coast to live," Ballin told The Sunshine Coast Daily ahead of last night's trial in Queensland against the Warriors.

Carney set to leave Canberra

By James Phelps | March 01, 2008

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23299300-5006066,00.html

* Email article
    * ShareAdd to DiggAdd to del.icio.usPost to NewsVinePost to FacebookWhat are these?
    * Printer friendly
    * Text size+-

TODD Carney's future at Canberra looks doomed after the Raiders yesterday tabled their final offer to the star halfback.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands the Raiders deal has fallen well short of the stunning $1.6 million on offer from powerful Sydney clubs Manly and Penrith.

Carney, considered a future representative player, last night said he would not look at the offer until Monday when he returns from Townsville after tonight's pre-season hit-out against the Cowboys.

"I just want to get the game out of the way before I look at it," Carney said. "I'll go through the offers with my manager (Dave Riolo) next week."

Raiders boss Don Furner was last night hopeful that the deal, believed to be worth about $1.2 million over four years, would be enough to keep the playmaker in Canberra.

"We put the offer forward to his manager, but I am not expecting to hear anything until next week," Furner said. "I'm not sure what the detail of the offers from the other clubs are, but we have put together a very good offer.

"It's a very good offer and we are hopeful of keeping him here."

Furner said the Raiders had no qualms about offering Carney a four-year deal - despite long-term deals being considered by many to be a major risk for clubs, with the prospect of players being hit by injury or form slumps.

"It didn't bother us," Furner said. "We were happy to offer him two, three or four years."

The favourites to snare Carney's prized signature are Manly, but Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer was keeping his cards close to his chest.

"We have made our offer but we are yet to hear back," Mayer said.

"The Raiders are his incumbent club and I would think they would be his first choice.

"We will just watch with interest. We are still in the process of managing our existing players. To discuss negotiations of an existing player or a new player coming in openly is something we don't do.

"It is, however, good to see the players have faith in Manly and the direction of the club."

The Raiders think he is signed, sealed and delivered to Manly already, but Manly (for various reasons) think there is a long way to go.

If we sign him then Orford's contract won't be renewed when it finishes in 2009.

Would love him at Manly, but $400k? Also would feel for the Canberra fans, they would be dirty!!!!

AFTER making a $1.6 million offer to Canberra's Todd Carney, cashed-up Manly will now consider outlaying another $1.2 million for Sydney Roosters international Anthony Tupou.
The Daily Telegraph understands Tupou wants $400,000 a season for three years with Manly publicly declaring their desire to sign a high-profile back-rower.

Manly offered Carney a four-year contract - the Raiders five-eighth to make his decision within a fortnight.

Carney and Tupou come off contract at the end of this season and may both end up at Brookvale for a combined total of nearly $3 million.

Should Manly sign one or both, there is little doubt a current top-line player may not be re-signed in coming years.

Manly did, however, lose $900,000 worth of players last year through the exits of Travis Burns, Michael Monaghan, Chris Hicks and Shayne Dunley. The club only signed one high-profile player, Josh Perry from Newcastle.

It is understood Carney or Tupou would play in 2009 for less than $200,000 but have their contract increased over the latter years of the deal. Tupou is also being chased by Newcastle.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer was playing down the interest in Tupou.

"I don't want to comment on any player negotiations," Mayer said.

"But we are 'on the record' saying we are interested in a back-rower since Ben Kennedy retired.

"But it is getting to the stage where any player coming off contract is linked to Manly.

"We still have a lot of work to do with our salary cap to manage our existing stable of players.

"So to be constantly linked to incoming players can be destabilising and wrong."

Asked about his club's chances of signing Carney, Mayer said: "We are still waiting to hear from his manager (David Riolo)".

"It is in a holding pattern at the moment."

The Raiders yesterday confirmed the club had increased their offer to Carney to four years. Canberra's deal is worth about $1.4 million.

"We are hopeful he will stay," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said.

"I think we are as good a chance as the others. We have put a lot of time and resources into Todd, he's come through our junior system.

"We'd like to think he wants to win a grand final with his mates here in Canberra."

Furner said his club wanted a decision before the start of the season. "We'd like it before the season kicks-off," he said.

Penrith are also understood to be chasing Carney.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23307118-5006066,00.html

Why Topou ? Is my Question

if they are going to throw that sort of money around why not a SBW, or an english superstar etc

Like they say, we let $900k go, but only replaced it with Perry.
I almost think Bell / Beaver may retire at the end of this year.
The salary cap went up $100k this year, and is going up next year as well.
One would assume after giving Stewart his increase, we still have a large amount to throw at Tupou and Carney.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Bani
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steve Matai
05. Michael Robertson
06. Todd Carney
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Anthony Topou

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Jason King
17. Jarred Wearra-Hargreaves

looks like a fantastic little team !! I'd also say Willow will be playing in the UK (he wanted to play for Catalans this year, and was going to, until Carlaw went onto the market, and they chose him instead), and we will probably let either one or two of Rose,Hall or Bryant go.

You then have to consider that Orford will be signed on less. He'll be 31-32 in 2009. How many years would he actually have left?

Therefore, contracts could be back ended.

Berkeley_Eagle link said:
Why Topou ? Is my Question

if they are going to throw that sort of money around why not a SBW, or an english superstar etc

He's an International, WITHOUT the off field perks that go along with Sonny Bill !

Next year is Orford's last year of a 4 year contract but the way it was structured we will be paying him a LOT.

I would say Max must be building a new set of units somewhere near the beach. 

Tupou....good player and he'd be a very nice addition to the Manly pack.

But 400k? Lay off the silly gas. That's outrageous and roughly 100k more than he is worth.

That sort of price is generally reserved for playmakers, but there are one or two forwards in the comp who can command that kind of coin (SBW is the one that comes to mind).

Tupou might sneak into the top ten backrowers in the comp, but there would be only one backrower on that much money.

Ritchie is clearly pulling someone's leg with this story. Must've been struggling to fill the pages this morning because this story is a big stretch. I can't imagine Manly are pleased with it at all either.

If Manly could get him for 300k then I'd be happy with that as a replacement for Beaver, but anything more than that is paying considerable overs which we really can't afford considering how many other players we have on over 300k already (Kite, Lyon, Choc, Brett, Ox....if he hangs about).

It seems Manly have joined the Roosters, and EVERY player off contract is linked with Manly with big numbers beside their names

Bulldogs join rush for Carney

By Steve Mascord | March 04, 2008 http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23315913-5006066,00.html

BULLDOGS officials last night confirmed they were the fourth club in the race for Canberra halfback Todd Carney.

In the biggest transfer-market bunfight of the pre-season, Manly, Penrith and the Raiders are each believed to have made offers in excess of $1.2 million over four years for the 21-year-old.

While Canberra want an answer by the start of the premiership, Carney's agent David Riolo said last night there was no panic in negotiations.

However, Dogs recruitment manager Keith Onslow told The Daily Telegraph: "We have held some preliminary talks with David in relation to Todd.

"We are well aware of the situation regarding Todd and his pricetag. At this stage things have not progressed further.

"Our initial talks were a couple of months ago. We are really happy with the players we have in that position at the moment."

Carney, 21, said: "I am waiting to hear back from my manager about the Raiders' final offer.

"I know they said they want me to make a decision before the start of the season but this isn't the sort of thing you rush.

"They haven't said they will take the offer off the table.

"They say it will have an effect on the players but obviously this is a big thing for me too."

Asked to sum up the clubs already publicly linked to him, Carney said: "Penrith would be a new start and opportunity with Craig Gower gone. Manly, they are a great club who have been very successful recently and for years. It would be a chance to play with some classy players.

"And Canberra is obviously a place I enjoy and there are some good players coming through. I really am not leaning one way or another."

Carney said he could "go close" to meeting the Raiders' deadline.

Complicating the Bulldogs' interest is the fact Onslow could be confirmed as Newcastle's new recruitment officer as soon as this morning. The club's executive is due to discuss the position.

Canberra general manager Don Furner said: "We just need to know, because we have to make plans.

"If he decides he is going elsewhere, we get on with life. That happened with a coach two years ago."

In other news, St George Illawarra forward Ricky Thorby has been charged with a grade two dangerous throw in Saturday night's Charity Shield.

He faces a two-match suspension with an early guilty plea, three with an unsuccessful challenge.

South Sydney are confident centre Nigel Vagana (knee) will be fit for the season opener against Sydney Roosters despite his Charity Shield injury.

Manly fullback Brett Stewart (knee) will be picked for the March 15 clash with Cronulla.

Newcastle's Adam MacDougall, Matt Hilder and Danny Wicks - who missed the win over Cronulla at the weekend - will be back for round one.

The Sharks expect to have Greg Bird, Brett Kearney and Luke Covell back on deck, while Nathan Stapleton hopes to be available despite being carried off on a stretcher on Saturday night.

Likewise, Brisbane will have Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges and Ben Hannant back after they missed Saturday night's narrow win over Redcliffe.

North Queensland hooker Aaron Payne limped off at the weekend with a hamstring injury but is confident of being fit for the Telstra Premiership kick-off.

New Gold Coast recruit Matt Cross suffered a badly broken nose in a lower-grade trial in Cairns at the weekend but joined his Titans teammates in a Coffs Harbour camp yesterday.

Carney has 2m reasons not to stay green

Andrew Webster | March 8, 2008

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/carneys-2m-reasons-to-leave/2008/03/07/1204780061525.html

A FRANK discussion with Canberra great Mal Meninga has not convinced halfback Todd Carney to remain at the club beyond this season in the face of an upgraded $2million bid from Penrith.

Carney confirmed Raiders board member Meninga sought him out during the week to offer advice as the 21-year-old weighed up four-year deals then believed to be worth as much as $1.6m, from Canberra, Manly and Penrith.

"I'm still undecided and I won't be making a decision this weekend - but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it sorted before the start of the season," Carney said. "Mal was offering his support as a former player and a former Raiders great who has been through this before, at this club.

"We talked about the last couple of weeks and the last couple of years I've had here and the things I've achieved. And the things I haven't achieved. He wasn't trying to convince me to stay. It was just being very supportive."

While Penrith's general manager, Mick Leary, described the report of an increased offer as "ridiculous", the Herald understands the Panthers have tabled a four-year deal worth close to $500,000 a season, which includes some add ons.

"I've heard that one too and it's not right," Leary said. "I'd say if we offered him that amount it would be an easy decision for him to make. I spoke to [Carney's manager] David Riolo last night but that was not something we discussed. Last week, we were in the mix with Canberra and now Manly has emerged. I'm not sure where we are in the pecking order. It's up to the kid now."

Asked if Penrith had increased their original offer at any stage, he said: "Not at all."

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said he was relieved to learn that Carney wanted to decide his future before the start of the year.

"That's the first time he's said that, which is a relief," Furner said. "The last I heard Todd was torn and wanted more time."

Meninga's words of wisdom were in stark contrast to those of Raiders chairman John McIntyre, who told The Canberra Times on Thursday that if Carney defected to another NRL team it would be a "slap in the face" to those who had helped to develop him.

Carney declined to bite back last night but said that he had received plenty of support from teammates.

While he is adamant he wants to seal his future before the Raiders' opening match of the season against the Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium next Saturday, he said the off-field dramas of last season, when he was caught by police drink-driving, had given him perspective.

"It's not a major drama compared to last year," he said.

"It's a good position to be in but I would like to get it sorted out as soon as possible. It's not like I'm finishing training and then going home to think about it. But I'm going to have to make a decision before the start of the season."

If they are going to throw that sort of Money around why not Israel Falou

Losing Carney would be painful

By Steve Jancetic
    March 09, 2008

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23345253-23214,00.html

CANBERRA skipper Alan Tongue says Todd Carney leaving the nation's capital would be a "kick in the teeth" for the club which nurtured him into the NRL spotlight.

Star halfback Carney is at the centre of a four-club battle for his services for 2009 and beyond with the Raiders, Manly and Penrith having all put four-year deals on the table worth in excess of $1.6 million to lure him away.

He could be followed out of Canberra by exciting fullback William Zillman, who has an option in his contract for the 2009 season.

The departure of the key duo would rob the Raiders of two of their brightest talents, something the club can ill-afford.

“The club's worked so hard to bring these juniors through,” said Tongue, who last November agreed to remain at the club until 2010.

“We have struggled to attract high-profile players so they have concentrated on their juniors. Seeing them go by the wayside would be a real kick in the teeth I suppose.”

While losing Zillman, who was in scintillating form last year before a knee injury curtailed an impressive second campaign, would be a blow, Carney's departure would be devastating.

The 21-year-old playmaker has representative football written all over him, and if not for a run-in with the law last season, may have already snared a New South Wales Origin jumper.

His retention would not only boost the Raiders' current on-field fortunes, but would also provide them with a handy fillip when it came to attracting players to the club.

“He is obviously the club's No.1 priority to get re-signed and it would definitely help the club down the track if he was there to help sign other players,” Tongue said.

“He's an important part of our team, there's no doubt about that, he's such a quality player and he leads on the field. He's a very dominant player and talker on the field and organises our team. He's a vital part to the success of our team and I know they're trying to do their best to keep him on board.

“The club's put a lot of time and effort into him, the boys enjoy playing with him and enjoy having him around the club, so fingers crossed.”

While the Raiders sent club great Mal Meninga to have talks with Carney in a bid to convince him to stay, Tongue said he would not be putting the hard word on his teammate.

“He's probably got enough on his plate at the moment and enough people saying enough things in his ear every second minute,” Tongue said.

“Toddy's smart enough. He's got to make the right decision for himself.”

Carney said he was hoping to make a call on his future before Friday night's season kick-off, with his manager David Riolo intimating that a decision was unlikely until later in the week.

AAP

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8