To Des Hasler:-

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rhino - time to look for the glass half full again. We have a PL team that won't make the semis and yet more than half of them were on the paddock against a top 4 team at home.

I can just iimagine Des at training: Look Glenn and Snake - I know you are carrying injuries which could stuff up the most important semi final series in 10 years. However our supporters need you to win a meaningless game just so they can feel good about momentum. Would you mind hobbling through 80 minutes just to keep the little man happy!!!!

Yeah right!!!

So Gould, Johns, Sterling, Voss, Geyer, Pearce, Brandy, Warren, Dailey and co. are all wrong about momentum at the back end of the season.....but you are right?

Yeah right !!!

What is your suggestion? Play injured players? Be at our peak right now.

See C_Eagles post for info on the last two Premiership seasons re Tigers and Broncos. For the last two seasons St G had all the momentum going into the semis and looked great up until week 3 of the semis.

The team that will win it will be the one that turns up in the semis - not the team looking great in the final rounds. If your theory is right Souths are the Premiers!

If your theory is right Souths are the Premiers!

To be honest I do have a concern that they are going to finish 7th and surge into the semis on a massive wave of emotion. If it is Manly vs Souths in the semis the previous week is going to be an absolute circus.

I'll be cheering for the Rorters and Broncos this weekend.

that would mean they would be riding that emotion for over a month Matas, theres only so long they can keep up that emotional intensity.

they would be ripe for a plucking at that time, they would think their job was done in making the semis.

that would mean they would be riding that emotion for over a month Matas, theres only so long they can keep up that emotional intensity.

they would be ripe for a plucking at that time, they would think their job was done in making the semis.

Problem is the shackles have been released on them. They are playing with abandon and teams in that mood are dangerous.

If a schmuck like Williams can win MOTM for two weeks you know that the monkey is off their back and they could start to play the kind of enterprising football that will stretch defences.

And if Souths have a sniff of victory after 30 minutes it will be one hell of a 2nd half.

So you believe the players that didn't play legitimately were injured?

I personally believe the contrary.

Every player would have a bruise here or there throghout a season.

It was a cop out for Des in my opinion. I really don't care what other teams supporters think of us, but I kow if I was a Parra / Bulldog fan that lost any opportunity of having a home semi, I'd be pretty peeved.

That said, c_eagle can bleat all he/she wants about me whining or being negative as he's/she's a little whip. I am actually still very confident Manly will win the big one this year.

My concern is that it is very difficult to change momentum at the drop of a hat. Your team gets towelled 2 weeks straight, and I mean thrashed....there HAS to be a level of self doubt engraining itself.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
If your theory is right Souths are the Premiers!

To be honest I do have a concern that they are going to finish 7th and surge into the semis on a massive wave of emotion.
[/quote]

Are you saying they will have momentum?

It was a cop out for Des in my opinion. I really don't care what other teams supporters think of us, but I kow if I was a Parra / Bulldog fan that lost any opportunity of having a home semi, I'd be pretty peeved.

That said, c_eagle can bleat all he/she wants about me whining or being negative as he's/she's a little whip. I am actually still very confident Manly will win the big one this year.

My concern is that it is very difficult to change momentum at the drop of a hat. Your team gets towelled 2 weeks straight, and I mean thrashed....there HAS to be a level of self doubt engraining itself.

Ryan, because you change with the wind you have little credibility.

I endorse the resting of our players. We should be thankful that we have the luxury to do that rather than be involved in a dogfight for the 8.

It is well-known that guys like Kite and Stewart have had a huge workload. I'd far rather we let them have a quiet weekend in Sydney with family and friends than the arduous trip over the Tasman on a hiding to nothing against their big Polynesian brutes.

I expect we will field a full side this weekend and blow the Drag Queens away in a tune up for the finals. This will blow away the cobwebs and give us the momentum and confidence we need.

In the nineties norths always had momentum leading up to the semis.

However once they got there they always crumbled.

In the semi's it all comes down to which team plays better on the day and which team gets the 50/50 decisions from the refs.

If the last few weeks are anything to go by we'll get 1/3 of the calls our way and every video ref decision will be "no try".

Ryan regardless of whether they were injured or not, they needed a break

Well maybe they should have played better during the year and secured 2nd place on the ladder, how is it our fault?

My concern is that it is very difficult to change momentum at the drop of a hat. Your team gets towelled 2 weeks straight, and I mean thrashed

Souths beat us by 1 try, we played key players off the bench and were missing Orford

....there HAS to be a level of self doubt engraining itself.

From where I sat at the ground and in front of the tellie we did not get smashed in either game. Rather we were robbed in the first game and played half a PL team in the second. This Sunday I expect the full compliment, minus Hall, to go around and put a good score on the Dragons. If not, then worry. If we play Souths in the first home semi we'll bust them. Clon's correct; At Telstra they had all the ball in the first half and scored once from a bomb. In the second half we played poorly and then they only won by a converted try from a mistake by us. Eliminate the errors and we win. C'mon Ryan, keep the faith.

I guess if I say it, it is whingeing, but if BEAVER says it, it must be right:-

Manly desperate for finals momentum

Monday, August 27, 2007
http://nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/6789/Default.aspx

Manly veteran Steve Menzies sees this Sunday's clash with NRL wooden spoon contenders St George Illawarra as important as the club's home semi-final the following week.

Manly are coming off losses to resurgent South Sydney and top four contenders New Zealand Warriors in the past fortnight - although both times they were without several stars.

It was just the second time this year Manly have dropped successive games and Menzies knows a third loss would be a devastating blow to their finals campaign.

The past two years they have stumbled during August and then been bundled out of the finals without a win.

Menzies believes the Sea Eagles need to gather some momentum and confidence against the Dragons to reignite their premiership drive.

"Next week is very important and as important as the following week the semi-final," said Menzies.

"We need to get a bit of momentum and I think we've just been a little bit off the pace the last four or five weeks even though we've only lost the last two.

"We seem to be putting ourselves under a bit of pressure and we really need to have a good game next week.

"It's not about winning or losing it's about getting some momentum and some confidence.

"Building a bit of stability and controlling football and making decisions to get ourselves in the game rather than just scrambling and having four or five sets of six on our line in 15 or 20 minute spurts.

"It puts us under a lot of pressure and I think going into the semi finals that type of football is not going to be good enough to beat the top teams."

But coach Des Hasler isn't concerned about Manly's back to back losses.

He left injured stars Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Brent Kite, Steve Bell and Luke Williamson at home for the Auckland trip but expects all of them to be available this weekend.

With Manly set to return to full strength Hasler has no reason to doubt the direction his side is heading come September.

"Yeah, it is back-to-back losses but let's put it into perspective," said Hasler.

"Against Souths we had a number of players out, a number of key players. And yesterday we had probably anywhere between six and seven so let's keep it in perspective but at the same stage we don't like losing.

"We get together tomorrow and it's a short turnaround so we'll go from there."

A major bonus for the Eagles was the successful return by prop Jason King after six weeks out with a knee injury.

King was happy with his comeback and relieved to escape a charge for a high tackle during the Auckland loss.

"My knee was good, it felt really good actually and it was great to be back out there with the boys after missing six weeks," he said.

"We have to get some momentum next week and really turn up at Brookvale there and get a good win over the Dragons."
Source: AAP

We started out the season with a no nonsense, minimal error, grind it out, style of play. We won many games and all applauded the newly found defensive coaching.

Then there was a point mid season where there was a flurry of consternation about our seeming lack of attacking abilities and how would we ever succeed in the finals on that bland grinding style of play.

Then out of the blue (seemingly) the team clicks in attack and we stast posting larger scorelines.

Does anyone seriously belive that it wasnt Des' coaching ?

And if you agree with that why wouldnt you then tranlate that confidence into believeing that Des has the finals & the GF squarely in mind and that his decisions on resting injured players and that our course into the finals is in good hands ?

Momentum is just a word.

The quotes from Menzies, Hasler and King all serve to shoot down your alarmist BS Ryan. :wall:

"It's not about winning or losing it's about getting some momentum and some confidence."

Comprende'?

Ryan, the thing is, the quotes from those three weren't about us falling in a heap because of some 'loss of momentum' (only Menzies used that term), they were constructive comments about what happened and where to go from here. I think Dazzler's positive comments regarding keeping things in perspective is the one to focus on rather than on the player's thoughts after a loss.

Comprendez is french and spelt this way. Read the wuotes and ignore the paper talk. If you have ever played in a semi team you focus ahead, not behind and ignore the media stuff. We have been under-rated all year and the boys will be happy for that to happen in the semis.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4