Time to lay off Brookie Oval - Dean Ritchie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Seriously, how many people are running all over the ground midweek? I doubt it is significant.

It’s those damn frisbee throwing championships.....

D09DB7EC-AF80-4E7C-95FA-A0C4B382D182.jpeg

DAILYTELEGRAPH
Brookvale Oval surface given green light following independent report
MICHAEL CARAYANNIS

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 30, 2019

Brookvale Oval has been given the green light to continue to host NRL matches following an independent report into the surface.

The Lottoland playing field came under fire during the Roosters win against Manly last week which saw veteran winger Brett Morris injure his knee.

Morris and Roosters coach Trent Robinson hit out against the venue which struggled to cope with the large rainfall in the lead-up and during the match last week.

The fallout prompted the NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley to commission an independent report to assess the safety of the ground.

“We’ve received the independent assessment and it recommended a course of action which has been accepted by the council and in fact which has already commenced,” Annesley said.

“If this program is followed over the course of the next week we expect the surface to be in a suitable condition for the NRL game.

“The NRL and the independent assessor will continue to monitor the state and the improvement of the surface over the coming days.”

It is understood the improvements relates to the treatment of the turf with changes to the nutrients of the grass and turf management program which should also see better root depth and drainage.

Lottoland hosts Manly and South Sydney next Saturday.

Manly had to move a pre-season trial against Cronulla at the same venue due to safety concerns regarding the pitch.

https://outline.com/qJvpeE

DAILYTELEGRAPH
Brookvale Oval surface given green light following independent report
MICHAEL CARAYANNIS

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 30, 2019

Brookvale Oval has been given the green light to continue to host NRL matches following an independent report into the surface.

The Lottoland playing field came under fire during the Roosters win against Manly last week which saw veteran winger Brett Morris injure his knee.

Morris and Roosters coach Trent Robinson hit out against the venue which struggled to cope with the large rainfall in the lead-up and during the match last week.

The fallout prompted the NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley to commission an independent report to assess the safety of the ground.

“We’ve received the independent assessment and it recommended a course of action which has been accepted by the council and in fact which has already commenced,” Annesley said.

“If this program is followed over the course of the next week we expect the surface to be in a suitable condition for the NRL game.

“The NRL and the independent assessor will continue to monitor the state and the improvement of the surface over the coming days.”

It is understood the improvements relates to the treatment of the turf with changes to the nutrients of the grass and turf management program which should also see better root depth and drainage.

Lottoland hosts Manly and South Sydney next Saturday.

Manly had to move a pre-season trial against Cronulla at the same venue due to safety concerns regarding the pitch.

https://outline.com/qJvpeE

I'm not surprised and always felt the ground would come up ok.

Anyone send this to that Morris whiner so he can issue a public apology?

Did anyone see the Titans home ground tonight. Broke up worse than Brookie

Anyone looking at Cowgirls stadium right now. Also getting cut up worse than Brookie oval and plenty of knees getting stuck in the turf.

Will there be outrage in tomorrow's media?

Last edited:
Did anyone see the Titans home ground tonight. Broke up worse than Brookie

Anyone looking at Cowgirls stadium right now. Also getting cut up worse than Brookie oval and plenty of knees getting stuck in the turf.

Will there be outrage in tomorrow's media?
No.

Seems everyone is getting in on the act with regard to dodgy surfaces.

Former Socceroo and A-League player turned television commentator Archie Thompson has taken aim at the use of the SCG in its current state (Sydney FC have already announced that their last game of the A-League minor round will be moved to Kogarah due to concerns over the state of the Cricket Ground pitch) as well as some other grounds used by more than one national sporting competition including the Docklands and AAMI Park in Melbourne. Fair enough he's talking about things from the A-League's perspective, but it's the same thing with player welfare all over really.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...s/news-story/a2b384939d705d4a247612b259081fc6

Brookvale may have a somewhat unwarranted bad reputation, but it is by no means alone when it comes to player injuries (interestingly enough there were no serious injuries to Super Rugby and A-League players when they played there a few weeks back). And right now if I was an NRL player I'd be much happier playing on Brookie's surface than I would the SCG's.

Seems everyone is getting in on the act with regard to dodgy surfaces.

Former Socceroo and A-League player turned television commentator Archie Thompson has taken aim at the use of the SCG in its current state (Sydney FC have already announced that their last game of the A-League minor round will be moved to Kogarah due to concerns over the state of the Cricket Ground pitch) as well as some other grounds used by more than one national sporting competition including the Docklands and AAMI Park in Melbourne. Fair enough he's talking about things from the A-League's perspective, but it's the same thing with player welfare all over really.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...s/news-story/a2b384939d705d4a247612b259081fc6

Brookvale may have a somewhat unwarranted bad reputation, but it is by no means alone when it comes to player injuries (interestingly enough there were no serious injuries to Super Rugby and A-League players when they played there a few weeks back). And right now if I was an NRL player I'd be much happier playing on Brookie's surface than I would the SCG's.
Yes but it doesn’t fit Turdy narrative around surburban grounds

Yes but it doesn’t fit Turdy narrative around surburban grounds

Seriously though, other than its historic value, the SCG would have to be one of the worst venues to play games at, especially for spectators. Those who've been there for league games would know from experience, while those like myself who've seen games at places like the Adelaide Oval also know the same feeling. You need the Hubble Telescope just to see what's happening on your own side of the ground, let alone the other side. And its even worse if you're behind one of the in-goals.

Just because its a stadium and has a rich rugby league history doesn't make it a good place to watch a game from. And that's before you get to the subject of the playing surface.

Games played where I live in Adelaide are played at the Adelaide Oval, mostly because of the rebuild its had and the increased spectator capacity. But everyone I know who go to the games there have all said the same thing, they'd rather watch games at Hindmarsh Stadium where at least you're on top of the action. Problem is that Hindmarsh only holds 17,000 at best and despite being an all-seater, only the main grandstand has a roof.

Seriously though, other than its historic value, the SCG would have to be one of the worst venues to play games at, especially for spectators. Those who've been there for league games would know from experience, while those like myself who've seen games at places like the Adelaide Oval also know the same feeling. You need the Hubble Telescope just to see what's happening on your own side of the ground, let alone the other side. And its even worse if you're behind one of the in-goals.

Just because its a stadium and has a rich rugby league history doesn't make it a good place to watch a game from. And that's before you get to the subject of the playing surface.

Games played where I live in Adelaide are played at the Adelaide Oval, mostly because of the rebuild its had and the increased spectator capacity. But everyone I know who go to the games there have all said the same thing, they'd rather watch games at Hindmarsh Stadium where at least you're on top of the action. Problem is that Hindmarsh only holds 17,000 at best and despite being an all-seater, only the main grandstand has a roof.

Just for your info V8, I have played on the SCG (albiet lower grades) and from a players perspective the worst thing was a lack of spacial awareness .... the ground fell away from the centre and without the modern advertising boundaries around the touch lines ... you couldn't always see where the touch lines were. ... and with 20-30 metres of ground between the touch line and the fence .... it was often very difficult to get an accurate feel of where you were ...

I was lucky enough to play cricket at the SCG for 6-7 matches and I can tell you it is a cricket ground, not a ground for football of any code.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4