Post-Game Discussion Tigers v Manly [Round 8, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Tigers
Vs
Sea Eagles
16 Campbelltown Sports Stadium
23 Apr 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Saab back at his best. Makes a lot DCEs kicks look good.
Fainu didn’t look out of place. Sipley actually busted a couple of tackles, must be the haircut.
We got rid of Tapau only to get Woods. Same lazy arse who comes 3rd man into the tackle and does the holding down so he doesn’t have to run back 10m. Socks stay high up to his knees all through the game, that’s how much work he does.

I must say, the Eel’s season to date is very heartening.
Watched a lot of their games last year due to SC (and I love death riding them) and the number of games they managed to win at start of year where the other team played better was massive. Put them in a position to go on a run in the finals. Don't think they are doing much different this year just their luck has changed

Watched a lot of their games last year due to SC (and I love death riding them) and the number of games they managed to win at start of year where the other team played better was massive. Put them in a position to go on a run in the finals. Don't think they are doing much different this year just their luck has changed
Agreed. Getting found out this year and a different bounce of the ball. I would love to see them miss finals. IMO, they have a good enough roster to be scrapping over 5-8 like us, but nothing more.

We won with these stats.

It wasn't pretty, but to win in that face of those stats is something. (FYI weird bug on the time in possession on the NRL site). We were outplayed, and found a way to win. Something to take away from the game...

View attachment 23665

Compare that to the Panthers loss - whilst not as lopsided, we had more possession and a higher completion rate against the Panthers (yes...I acknoweldge that was the 2nd-half where the Panthers had put the cue in the rack)

View attachment 23666

Stats suggest we should have lost. Good thing stats are not what determine the game every time.
Just had a quick look and I’m pretty sure we are the only team to get a win this year with only 42% of the ball. Next best was around 48%. Pair that with a 67% completion rate and it’s a pretty amazing win! Obviously a better team would of put us away but I have seen us lose that type game so many times. Gotta learn to win ugly

Win is a win. There desperate that's a pack that's contains Papali, Bateman, Klemmer and Api quality but why the **** did they release Hastings ? For bloody brooks.
Positives Saab looks a different player, Garrick good work rate and Harps sorry mate bloke turned corner awesome. Forwards Olakau’atu and Sipley where good rest very ordinary. Dce considering conditions kicked okay.
Negatives Schuster was awful did not play to conditions and still a awful goaline defender needs alot of work, Paseka, Aloiai very poor and Bullemore was as we know not an edge. Keppie and Woods are plodders, sooner we are near top strength in pigs the better.
I think tommy will be out for 1-2 weeks but Hank could be long term I hope Koula back next week club needs to push tigers hard for Talau. I say Weekes plays at back while Tom is out.
Tuilagi back not sure he does add alot but gives bully chance bit in middle.
Ben turbo wonder what timeframe is now?

Oh good grief, watching the second half now and the Tisschu dropped catch was pathetic. Way to add pressure onto your team. But, thankfully he is an amazing speed merchant and champion who has finally been given the 5/8 position that he is born to do??? Garbage. Bring back Foz or bring me any mediocre 5/8 that can at least stay on the field and be competitive.

Look it wasn't a pretty win, but we had to go get the 2 points no matter what, absolutely couldn't afford to lose that game, and we won. So let's take it and move. We've been a horrific wet weather team for years, and we got beat in every stat, got starved for possession and field position and had players dropping out with injuries, and we still managed to win. So let's just be happy and move on. Guaranteed a whole different team will show up next week against titans and put on a clinic on a dry track in front of a packed out crowd.

It shows that for a young team like ours it is difficult to back up after a game like they had against the storm

Every team that gets in the 8 wins a few games ugly (look at the panthers most of this year apart from against us…) the bigger concern for me was the bench make up going into the game.

In a two hooker era we seem to be going the other way?

Also what was with the run around obsession from the tigers ?

Our game management is poor. In the first half we should scored more points. Two last tackle up and unders out on the full and then DCE cutting back inside early on attack spilling the ball inside their 10 metre was horrible after we hardly got into their red zone with the football. We should have ground it out and if necessary finished with a grubber and a repeat set. Game management.

Yes I am hard on DCE but he is the leader of this team and he has a wealth of experience and I expect composure and the right options to be taken 95% of the time.

We when played direct and finished our sets we looked okay but then the errors crept back into our game and we were lucky to beat the Tigers. Tommy dropping the pill after the kick led to points in the first half they should not have scored.

Playing without the football creates fatigue and it showed in the second half. Our defence in the first half was good. However both of their second half tries were soft and came from very poor defence.

We played dumb footy that nearly broke the Tiger's drought. I didn't expect to see a poor performance from Manly like that this year. Good sides occasionally win ugly and I agree we wouldn't have won that game last year but on that performance we are a mile of the pace.

Tommy is too slow to be playing fullback at the moment particularly until he can stretch out. When he returns from his groin injury I'd be playing him at 5/8 or in the centers with Koula. Harper had a good game yesterday but the lack of speed in our centres at present is glaringly obvious and will be exploited by good sides.

Press conference: 6 mins 30 secs

first 4 mins - All about Tom
Next 1 min 30 secs - About the game (leading on from how they react when tom goes off early)
Last minute - About Haumole

but you can hear the questions, at last.

How we are 2nd on the ladder beggars belief
Do you think we've had a really soft draw?
We've played 4 heavyweights and beaten 2, should probably have been 3 given the incorrect forward pass ruling v Souths.
We are where we deserve to be on the table, even though we haven't been playing great every game. There's a vast amount of improvement left in this Manly side and it's still early season.
I'm a yay! sayer in counter to the neigh sayers @:D

Really happy we come away with the win, it definitely wasn‘t pretty and we would could easily have lost, thing is, we hung in and snatched it from behind under difficult circumstances.

And there‘s a couple of positives to take away, the 2 points obviously and for me the camaraderie witnessed in the sheds after the game, winners are grinners, but we certainly have plenty to work on.

Had to be a positive overall to come away with 2 points . Probably the 67 % Manly completion rate sums up the level of how Manly played yesterday and unfortunately less in regard to Shu and Turbo . Wet conditions did not help Manly 's cause but same applied to the Tigers , lucky for that relatively good start and Reuben on with his kicking and general play . Main thing is that Many still found a way to win with and to their credit , some gritty defence . Still lacking that better organized attacking structures , with the Shu in particular and Turbo struggling , Definitely not helping but again the consolation , the defence generally holding up well . Even if it was against the not most potent attacking unit in the comp . Bit despairing with Turbo , made that classy break after fielding a bomb with seemingly no restriction , then struggling in other areas and just not being able to be used with best effect with his current fitness state . Not going to be a contender however with that situation continuing and to a lesser extent with the Shu Can 't really see the benefit of kicking early , possession was hard enough to come by as it was . D C E had a fairly solid game , a couple of attacking kicks a bit of and not sure of the outside supports after he put Saab away in the 2 nd half but hardly the best option placing a kick ahead then . important 2 points and again credit that they were able to hang in there but talk about the good , bad and the ugly with that type of a win

Was I the only one not one left confused how in the first half, the bunker says Tigers touch the ball, then it hits Parker, who is standing in front of the Tigers player, and it was knocked backwards by the Tiger ?

And in the 2nd half when Saab touched the ball 10m out from our line, Harper caught it 8m out from our line, but Saab propelled it forward ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8