Post-Game Discussion Tigers v Manly [Round 8, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Tigers
Vs
Sea Eagles
16 Campbelltown Sports Stadium
23 Apr 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Was I the only one not left confused how in the first half, the bunker says Tigers touch the ball, then it hits Parker, who is standing in front of the Tigers player, and it was knocked backwards by the Tiger ?

And in the 2nd half when Saab touched the ball 10m out from our line, Harper caught it 8m out from our line, but Saab propelled it forward ?
I couldn't work it out.

I also expected the bunker to find a knock on in- the contest for Saab's try.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's that sort of season. On the upside, we've beaten the Eels & Storm. Our defence hasn't been great, but it is no worse than most other teams - except for the Panthers who are a standout. My concern so far has been our clunky attack. At least we had the ability to score a try when it was needed at the backend of today's game.
Will need 5 tries from kicks this weekend. Looks wet again too.

This team is coming 2nd ATM…..Laughable.

PS. Close games are not good games. Good games are good games, & this was the opposite of one of those.
Only in home games do we have intensity, which is a coaching fail. Maybe we should hire 4 more mediocre coaches & that will fix it.

Can‘t believe that Harper threw good better pass for Manly 1st try, than anything DCE has done in 3 years.
DCE wrecking many attacks with his non-existent passing game, & his kicking game was often garbage too.
Playing Schuster who started injured is super dumb . No backs on the bench almost as bad

Meanwhile, Manly recruit Aaron Woods has been charged with a Grade One Dangerous Contact offence on Wests Tigers forward Alex Twal in his side's 22-16 win on Sunday.

The 32-year-old forward faces a fine of $750 with an early guilty plea but that could increase to $1000 if he contests the charge at the judiciary and is unsuccessful.

I just watched the game again to make sure we did actually get away with that. So all good now.
I think that was a good win, gritty and controlled against a desperate adversary.

Possesssion and field postion went against us, key injuries hurt us, yet composure was maintained and in the critical moment we came away with the 2 points.

This is the sort of obvious danger game that you win in a season when you have serious aspirations and you lose when you don't. Manly intend to go a long way this year, and good on the players and coaching staff. Obviously there's much improvement needed but no reason we won't see that happen over the next few months.

I actually feel a bit sorry for fans who are sad or miserable after that win, I loved it!

I think that was a good win, gritty and controlled against a desperate adversary.

Possesssion and field postion went against us, key injuries hurt us, yet composure was maintained and in the critical moment we came away with the 2 points.

This is the sort of obvious danger game that you win in a season when you have serious aspirations and you lose when you don't. Manly intend to go a long way this year, and good on the players and coaching staff. Obviously there's much improvement needed but no reason we won't see that happen over the next few months.

I actually feel a bit sorry for fans who are sad or miserable after that win, I loved it!
I can't say I was sad or miserable after the win. I was relieved. I mentioned in an earlier post that it was definitely the sort of game we would have fallen apart in last year. So yep, with all the things you mentioned, it was an ugly but important win. Having said that, we could also have easily lost it had Brooks held on to that inside pass with 5 or so minutes to go. Thankfully, he didn't.

I totally agree, we were starved of possession only 43% with lots of errors thrown in. DCE did what any 1.2m player should do and got us out of the poo with a pinpoint kick in the corner for Saab to score. In the past we would of folded under this sort of pressure, but to our credit the boys were gritty and held firm for the last 15min. We'll bank the 2pts and will improve on this as we move on to the Titans at Brookie this Saturday.

Do you think we've had a really soft draw?
We've played 4 heavyweights and beaten 2, should probably have been 3 given the incorrect forward pass ruling v Souths.
We are where we deserve to be on the table, even though we haven't been playing great every game. There's a vast amount of improvement left in this Manly side and it's still early season.
I'm a yay! sayer in counter to the neigh sayers @:D
have had the bye and at least 2 nine day turn arounds. i think the early draw allowed them to micro focus on a few games before the grind starts to set in. rare run early having a few games without injury was nice
we also got the eels when they were pretty average, and the dogs were an early season tragedy. not soft but helpful i reckon

I can't say I was sad or miserable after the win. I was relieved. I mentioned in an earlier post that it was definitely the sort of game we would have fallen apart in last year. So yep, with all the things you mentioned, it was an ugly but important win. Having said that, we could also have easily lost it had Brooks held on to that inside pass with 5 or so minutes to go. Thankfully, he didn't.
maybe we have improved, maybe tigers have just improved losing .

dirty stinkin pessimist

have had the bye and at least 2 nine day turn arounds. i think the early draw allowed them to micro focus on a few games before the grind starts to set in. rare run early having a few games without injury was nice
we also got the eels when they were pretty average, and the dogs were an early season tragedy. not soft but helpful i reckon
We also got the storm and panthers after finding form..

Mate Turbo is cooked. He’s running at about 30% and now done his groin. He’s made of glass and the injuries have now ruined him mentally. I’ve not seen the guy hit stride since 2021. It really saddens me actually cos I love the guy.
When I saw that play and the replays I was close to tears.(pic below). A fkn prop (tbf Tigers best player. Roosters will grab him).
‘First thing they need to do is tell Freddie to fuk off. TT ain’t playing SOO.
Even before the groin injury, it was so obvious he was playing within himself.
And I hate to use a quote from Ray Price. But he said, "If you don’t give 100% on the field because you’re worried about injury, then you will get injured 100%". The lackadaisical way he was bringing the ball back from kick returns, I thought it’s only a matter of time before someone smashes him.

61952367-F2E1-411B-B2B9-8B109DA81CA6.jpeg

This team is coming 2nd ATM…..Laughable.
Why is it laughable? Obviously, the ladder is askew due to the byes. In the top eight, there are currently three teams who have had a bye - Manly is ahead of the other two - Penrith & Cronulla :thumbsup:
(We will possibly fall to third if the Warriors beat the Storm tomorrow night)

This year after 8 rounds (7 games) we have 11 points, including a bye. We are in a better positon than last year when after 7 games we had 8 points & were in seventh place. The other seven teams in the top eight at that time played in the finals with Manly's position being usurped later by the Raiders.

Only in home games do we have intensity, which is a coaching fail. Maybe we should hire 4 more mediocre coaches & that will fix it.
It is true that Manly haven't reached their best form yet, but we have had a promising start to the year. We won the pre-season comp and won our first regular game of the season for the first time since 2014. We have been competitive in all but the game we lost to Penrith. We should have won the away game against Souths and we have beaten the Eels & Storm at home. This shows that the coaching staff is doing a good job.

Can‘t believe that Harper threw good better pass for Manly 1st try, than anything DCE has done in 3 years.
I don't know how many games you've watched in the last three years. In 2021 (if my memory is correct), Harper had 4 try assists whereas DCE had 31, many of which were from passes.

When I saw that play and the replays I was close to tears.(pic below). A fkn prop (tbf Tigers best player. Roosters will grab him).
‘First thing they need to do is tell Freddie to fuk off. TT ain’t playing SOO.
Even before the groin injury, it was so obvious he was playing within himself.
And I hate to use a quote from Ray Price. But he said, "If you don’t give 100% on the field because you’re worried about injury, then you will get injured 100%". The lackadaisical way he was bringing the ball back from kick returns, I thought it’s only a matter of time before someone smashes him.

View attachment 23671
Maybe so Wombat, but Tom's still got pace of the mark, when Saab made that break off the Harper pass and was flying down the wing Tom just cruised up alongside him to take the inside pass to set up DCE. This to me says it's still there but it depends if it's a running in support play or a surge/hit-up through the line I guess. The Tiger forward who caught Tom, nothing to worry about their, he was going to draw and pass anyway so he kinda slowed up, which made it look worse than what it actually was.

Win is a win. There desperate that's a pack that's contains Papali, Bateman, Klemmer and Api quality but why the **** did they release Hastings ? For bloody brooks.
Positives Saab looks a different player, Garrick good work rate and Harps sorry mate bloke turned corner awesome. Forwards Olakau’atu and Sipley where good rest very ordinary. Dce considering conditions kicked okay.
Negatives Schuster was awful did not play to conditions and still a awful goaline defender needs alot of work, Paseka, Aloiai very poor and Bullemore was as we know not an edge. Keppie and Woods are plodders, sooner we are near top strength in pigs the better.
I think tommy will be out for 1-2 weeks but Hank could be long term I hope Koula back next week club needs to push tigers hard for Talau. I say Weekes plays at back while Tom is out.
Tuilagi back not sure he does add alot but gives bully chance bit in middle.
Ben turbo wonder what timeframe is now?
Hastings would probably have won them that game

Watched the Bloke in a Bar review of the game last night.
They were a bit meh about our performance and understandably are worried about Turbo's demeanour.
Discussed origin and said he wasn't an automatic selection but if Turbo said to the selectors he was fit and ready to play then he should be picked (looked at how he was injured in 2019 then played one club match, was selected and scored the treble in the Perth match).
Said the Tigers pack outplayed ours (I agree with that).
Were trying to be kind to Luke Brooks but....well....ended up saying he needs to go somewhere else to play...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7