Tigers v Manly [Round 5 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Random thoughts.

Injuries have cruelled a BS career that could have been almost anything.
We are ageing and the league is shifting. That's fine and always been the way. The question is, how well can we adapt to the shift. That's life's ultimate question.
It so annoyed me when the ref called a no-try (even though he had no clue) for Matai knowing that it would have been a try if the ref had called the other way.

As a young man about 30-40 years ago I attended a game at Leichardt Oval (the only time). It was also on a wet rainy Sunday afternoon, and from memory we went down to Balmain with Corowa on the wing that day. I lived in Wollongong, and the old man was a Saints supporter, so I didn't get many opportunities to see Manly games.

HK_Eagle said:
Random thoughts.

Injuries have cruelled a BS career that could have been almost anything.
We are ageing and the league is shifting. That's fine and always been the way. The question is, how well can we adapt to the shift. That's life's ultimate question.
It so annoyed me when the ref called a no-try (even though he had no clue) for Matai knowing that it would have been a try if the ref had called the other way.

As a young man about 30-40 years ago I attended a game at Leichardt Oval (the only time). It was also on a wet rainy Sunday afternoon, and from memory we went down to Balmain with Corowa on the wing that day. I lived in Wollongong, and the old man was a Saints supporter, so I didn't get many opportunities to see Manly games.

Yes, Leichhardt is one place that i won't go to, but I did yesterday, and it only brought back memories of the last time I went there over 30 years ago, just when Steve Martin left us for the Tigers and they carved us up that day as well, I guess it will be another thirty years before I go there again, God I hate that ground.

I thought it was just the kind of result we needed at this stage of the year. A younger more enthusiastic team just nailed us. The ref didnt help, the conditions didnt help but they just rolled us.. For a more experienced team I thought this was a great wake up call, a reminder about how teams fortunes change quickly. The tigers were smug good winners. One feels if we meet them again this year they will know they have been in a game. We got ambushed. If Manly are to challenge again. its about how they react to such games

Gee a lot of footy supporters just havnt got their heads around the concept that the game is about the season. They love laughing at souffs and parra bout winning the GF in march but think we lose them in april...........................go figure

Suck it up Princess

Good comment James, during the game I commented on Silvertails that I'd see everyone back on here tomorrow , ditto with Facebook.

It was an ordinary loss for any number of reasons but these happen and they boys will be better for it and certainly no need to write us off just yet.

Like big Arnie " We'll be back"

After seeing the live score on the NRL website yesterday, and reading this forum last night. I stayed up to watch the now late night replay we here in Adelaide get on GEM, just to see for myself. I can imagine what happened when Tooves got home after the game.

For those of you who know of or remember Kingswood Country, this might bring back memories

Mrs Tooves: Oh hello dear, how was work
Tooves: Bloody shambles of course

Ok, now that's done......

Not a good day. But the Tigers had a day out, even those in the best seat in the house crane that became a flying swimming pool. Good to see Snake back. He wasn't bad but it wasn't the type of day I'd have risked his hammy. Still, at least he came through it ok.

No offence to Peta Hiku, but he's not a winger. But with Snake back (and hopefully staying healthy), and no room in the centres, where to play him when Jorge comes back? He doesn't deserve to be dropped to NSW Cup and I doubt the club want to leave him out of first grade too much when they're trying to keep him signing elsewhere. I don't think the Wolfman was all that bad yesterday and I can't see why he should be dropped.

What was Cherry put on report for? I missed that one.

Is it true Tooves is calling for an investigation into why we bumbled and stumbled our way around Leichhardt yesterday? Reminded me of a semi-final from a couple of years ago.....

HoldenV8 said:
No offence to Peta Hiku, but he's not a winger.

I think he's looked better on the right wing when playing there. He suits the right side more. He's doesn't look right on the left compared to Taufua or Brett Morris, they look like left wingers.

I haven't watched the game yet...listening to the first half was enough. MIGHT watch the replay on Foxtel this arvo, or might just move on.

Every team has put in a poor performance already and it's just as well we don't play like this often...plenty of philosophical views here
and I do tend to feel the Gift issue is a factor.

We pride ourselves on our culture, our core...I sense the boys aren't happy it's under threat.

The next few weeks will tell the tale.

RiverEagle said:
I haven't watched the game yet...listening to the first half was enough. MIGHT watch the replay on Foxtel this arvo, or might just move on.

Every team has put in a poor performance already and it's just as well we don't play like this often...plenty of philosophical views here
and I do tend to feel the Gift issue is a factor.

We pride ourselves on our culture, our core...I sense the boys aren't happy it's under threat.

The next few weeks will tell the tale.
Dont watch the replay mate Just look forward to our next game :)

Id be surprised if they don't bounce back with a big win this weekend.

One thing these players have is a great pride in their work, doesn't mean they can't be beaten but generally means the next game they play is totally different.

You can bet they were embarrassed by yesterday.

Onwards and upwards everyone

A great win to the Tigers – well played, well won.
They really played well @ Leichardt in the wet: good, solid defense as well as hard-running successful offensive plays, whilst Manly played pretty poorly most of it.

It was still good to go to the game: for a weather report that morning of “a shower or two” I’m sure glad I took my umbrella & rain jacket, and around 16,500 crowd was great to see in sometimes heavy rain.
First time I’ve been to Leichardt Oval for over 3 decades, glad to have revisited an old suburban atmospheric ground again, even if Manly basically got flogged and the hill became so muddy it was more of a slip’n’slide.

Enjoy Tigers fans, wear your footy jerseys and shirts with pride this week.

---

Edit, added:

On the crowd: whilst there was a fair bit of Maroon & White there & MWSE supporters’ talk beforehand encouraging fans to the game, even in the very wet conditions I thought the Manly fans turnout was a bit poor.
I drove down & back from Newie (tho I enjoy driving, including through Sydney) in some pretty wet conditions, would have been good to see a few more good-size groups of Maroon & White on the hill with us.
Still, it was good fun cheering with those that were there!

I actually quite enjoyed the atmosphere there, from the sausage sanga bbqs in the pubs along Darling street and on a few corners approaching the field, to the range of facilities, food & drink stands around the fences, to some of the very dated stands, old score board & infrastructure and especially big grassy classic hill lined with massive trees – was great to just wander around taking it in.

Well said @ssar...... maybe others will disagree
as I've never been to Leichhardt..... it just seems good for the game to have these traditional, tribal games at suburban grounds
rather than near-empty modern stadiums.
At least occasionally.

And I might just watch the 2nd half @BOZO...lol

Then look forward to getting them on our terms later on at Fortress Brookie!

HappilyManly said:
globaleagle said:
How come no one has mentioned the streaker???

Cause he still had his pants on :p

It was a cold, gale force winds with driving SE rain - he probably was concerned about shrinkage :sleepy:

1000th like....

You're welcome!

:cool::angel:

*If it were gale force winds...I'd be more worried about 'slappage' leading to thigh bruising than shrinkage. :cool::cool::cool::rolleyes::shy::(

globaleagle said:
HappilyManly said:
globaleagle said:
How come no one has mentioned the streaker???

Cause he still had his pants on :p

It was a cold, gale force winds with driving SE rain - he probably was concerned about shrinkage :sleepy:

1000th like....

You're welcome!

:cool::angel:

*If it were gale force winds...I'd be more worried about 'slappage' leading to thigh bruising than shrinkage. :cool::cool::cool::rolleyes::shy::(

show off

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6