Thorpe Quiits Swimming

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevie

Reserve Grader
Thorpe quits the pool deck

By Andy Withers
FOXSPORTS.com.au
November 21, 2006

IAN Thorpe has announced his retirement from swimming, citing a lack of balance in his life as the reason for his decision.

Thorpe walks away from the sport as Australia's most successful Olympian, with five gold medals, three silver and one bronze from the 2000 and 2004 Games in Sydney and Athens.

"I have reached all the dizzying heights of this sport," Thorpe said.

"I've also had setbacks.

"I've been sick, I've had injuries."

Thorpe said he started to reconsider his future during his recent training sojourn with Milton Nelms in Los Angeles.

He said during that sojourn he had achieved the highest level of physical fitness he had ever experienced.

But he said he had also become "mentally fit".

"My mind also got fit," Thorpe said.

"I started asking questions."

In asking those questions, Thorpe said he had come to the conclusion that swimming was no longer the priority in his life - which had never before been the case - and thus he was comfortable with his subsequent decision to quit.

Thorpe said he had initially decided to miss the national titles in Brisbane next month, and hence the world championships in Melbourne next year, for which the Queensland meet will double as selection trials, but he changed his mind at 2.52pm on Sunday afternoon.

Thorpe said he did not know exactly why he had decided at that time to quit.

Thorpe, 24, said he was "far too young" to be retiring, but he was excited about the future - whatever that held for him.

"It's not the right time to be retiring, but it's my time," Thorpe said.

Thorpe also ruled out the prospect of a future comeback.

"I don't rule it out completely, I never rule anything out, but it's not going to happen," Thorpe said when asked if he would return to the pool deck at some time in the future."

an extremely talented swimmer, one can only imagine how good he could have been if he had the attitude of say a petria thomas

Truth is that due the amount of times he has been poked in the bum he is no longer watertight and couldnt stay afloat.

when i put that thread up , im thinking how long before Someone chimes in with the Gay Taunts , only took 2 threads congrats Byso :clap: :clap: :D

Truth is that due the amount of times he has been poked in the bum he is no longer watertight and couldnt stay afloat.

he could start up his own line of butt plugs for gay swimmers....although I don't know how much use one would be to Dawn Fraser...

I see the silverTAILS creed continues. Surely you can come up with something else with which to attempt to slur one of our greatest sportsmen? :roll:

Will go down as one of the greatest swimmers of all time. His final leg of the 4 x 100m relay in Sydney was sensational, his best effort imo.

I seriously do wonder how long before he does come out of the closet though.

Yeah , he could swim. I wasnt a big fan of his but he did what he did better than the rest. Im more of a Hackett fan.

I see the silverTAILS creed continues. Surely you can come up with something else with which to attempt to slur one of our greatest sportsmen? :roll:

no question he was a champion sportsperson and as far as his private life goes- I couldn't give two ****es whether he is gay or not.
You see it is extremely unlikely that Ian Thorpe will ever read this forum and people are taking the piss for a bit of 'fun'- I dare say all would acknowledge that he was a champion swimmer.
Chill out!

I am a great fan of Thorpe as a swimmer and wonder if we will ever see anyone as good in my lifetime. I am with Manly backer on the gay slurs!!!

I suppose he doesn't have the same powerful mates as Alan Jones or his ilk???

or Bob Carr....haven't seen many happy snaps of him and his wife since he stepped out of Parliamnet...funny that

Yeah , he could swim. I wasnt a big fan of his but he did what he did better than the rest. Im more of a Hackett fan.
I agree Earl perhaps Hackett will get a bit more credit/exposure now for his efforts

I would not be surprised by a Thorpedo comeback for the next Olympics though

[quote author=ManlyBacker]

no question he was a champion sportsperson and as far as his private life goes- I couldn't give two ****es whether he is gay or not.
You see it is extremely unlikely that Ian Thorpe will ever read this forum and people are taking the piss for a bit of 'fun'- I dare say all would acknowledge that he was a champion swimmer.
Chill out!
[/quote]

PJ, Well said! I think MB should be more tolerant of fellow posters feelings on ST. :D

No worries byso - you have pointed out how I can lose the plot and need to see things from other's perspectives. From now on I will attempt to be even more tolerant of the mysogenistic, homophobic, racist, inward looking set wherever they decide to drop their little piles of do-do. :drunk:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4