Thomas Flegler

Not true 95 per cent spend requirement under NRL rules

"As a result the club can front-load multiple player contracts into this year’s salary cap to meet the 95 per cent spend requirement under NRL rules, and still keep space free to make quality mid-year signings with the two remaining spots in their top 30 roster."

To be fair 95% is not exactly far off

They could not be that incompetent could they?

I think it is more a matter of Bennett refusing to pay overs ... he still has his war chest ... and Newcastle are welcome to Pongo at $1.4 million .. he is one coach taking the long view.

JWH was on around 800k so makes sense if it's like for like - but as you say they seem to sign another player or so with the "freed up " cash.
IF you believe the constant rhetoric coming out of Bondi, JWH is on 300k because he loves Robinson and wants to be part of the culture, just like every other big name over there, apparently big name players play for unders there, yet free up millions upon their departure.

NRL transfer news: Broncos star Tom Flegler set to make call on Dolphins interest​

Dolphins target Tom Flegler faces sacrificing as much as $600,000 to remain at the Broncos as D-Day arrives for the Brisbane enforcer.

News Corp understands Flegler will make a definitive call on his future over the next 48 hours as Brisbane fight to keep the Queensland Origin bookend at Red Hill in the face of a massive offer from expansion rivals the Dolphins.

It is understood four clubs have expressed interest in the off-contract Flegler, including the Roosters, who are planning for life after front-row hardman Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Fellow Sydney-based club Manly last year tabled a six-year, $675,000 offer worth $4 million for Flegler, but the Broncos bookend would prefer to remain in Queensland.

Meanwhile, the Roosters have emerged as a contender to land Spencer Leniu from Penrith as they hunt a potential long-term prop option.

That makes the Dolphins the primary threat to the Broncos, who are reeling from the loss of British Test star Herbie Farnworth to Wayne Bennett’s new expansion side and can ill-afford to see another top-liner go from Red Hill to Redcliffe.

The Dolphins’ package is around $800,000 a season and the Broncos, whose offer is less attractive financially, are refusing to get into a bidding war.

Over a four-year term, Flegler stands to make $150,000 more annually by defecting to the Dolphins.

The Dolphins blew Brisbane out of the water with a deal for Farnworth that was in excess of $700,000 a season and they have the cash reserves under the salary cap to do the same with Flegler.

As part of their roster management and succession planning, the Broncos have classified Payne Haas and Pat Carrigan as their two top dogs in the middle and accept they could be outbid by the Dolphins for Flegler.

The 23-year-old Flegler has played 74 games for the Broncos since his NRL debut in 2019 and Dolphins recruitment chief Peter O’Sullivan is a massive fan of the Tully tearaway.

Once likened in style to Broncos prop Shane Webcke, Flegler has battled suspension and form issues at Brisbane and a move to the Dolphins could represent a fresh start for the promising front-rower.

The Dolphins have an ageing pack – props Jesse Bromwich (33), Mark Nicholls (33) and Jarrod Wallace (31) are in their 30s – and Flegler is viewed as the young firebrand who can spearhead the 17th team’s engine room for a decade.

Should Flegler quit the Broncos, Brisbane will turn to the likes of Corey Jensen, Xavier Willison and towering rookie prop Ben Te Kura to support big guns Haas and Carrigan in the midfield.

Jensen signed a two-year upgrade with the Broncos on Friday and the former Cowboys grand-final prop hopes Flegler follows suit.

“I hope some of the other off-contract guys stay here, 100 per cent,” Jensen said.

“Our squad hasn’t changed too much with the personnel we had last year and I do feel we are building something.

“We are a tight knit group of blokes, we have bonded well on the off the field and the more guys we keep here the better because that’s how you build a premiership team.”

Reading that he is staying or going to Dolphins

Sure but according to the article they are front loading to get to 95% which means they have heaps of space this and next season.
Front loading means that this season they are paying for some of next years cap…meaning that they have no space this year but plenty next year

Front loading used to be called parking.well kind of, It was similar ploy and i thought the NRL outlawed it. Obviously a new version of the same concept crept in somewhere along the lines .

it was to ensure the game was as good as it could be year on year without clubs weakening the current roster to strengthen next years, diluting the spectable

Front loading means that this season they are paying for some of next years cap…meaning that they have no space this year but plenty next year

You are wrong as was stated (not sure you bothered to read the article) they are front loading to meet 95% of this year’s salary cap without front loading it appears they wouldn't be meeting the minimum level required to be spent.

Normally I would doubt the article but looking at their squad I believe it. So they still have 5% of 12.1 million cap left this season for two spots.

I think it is more a matter of Bennett refusing to pay overs ... he still has his war chest ... and Newcastle are welcome to Pongo at $1.4 million .. he is one coach taking the long view.
Wayne isn't known for taking the long view. Strange that he would do so at his age as well.

Maybe he just can't get the job done recruitment wise?

Unless as mentioned in the article they land Spencer, bloody Rorters, who don’t they won’t, hell they‘ve probably got room in their cap for both, wouldn’t surprise me!
Of course , because instead of paying them $850k, they pay them $350k and the rest is third party.

So the total is only $700k on the cap.

They have unlimited options outside the system.

Front loading used to be called parking.well kind of, It was similar ploy and i thought the NRL outlawed it. Obviously a new version of the same concept crept in somewhere along the lines .

it was to ensure the game was as good as it could be year on year without clubs weakening the current roster to strengthen next years, diluting the spectable
I'm actually fine with this and think if clubs want to be strategic and effectively tank for a year to have a war chest for another then so be it.

As for the Dolphins, I see frontloading as a lever they have to pull to give them a chance in this market.

Last edited:
You are wrong as was stated (not sure you bothered to read the article) they are front loading to meet 95% of this year’s salary cap without front loading it appears they wouldn't be meeting the minimum level required to be spent.

Normally I would doubt the article but looking at their squad I believe it. So they still have 5% of 12.1 million cap left this season for two spots.
And as I said 5% is not exactly a war chest. It is the space next year where things get intriguing

Wayne and his war of words with bronx over recruitmen, chucks out it was much easier signing players with the bronco checque book

got to love it.

Who have the Dolphins paid big money to ? I think they would have plenty of space ...
Dolphins same as Dogs pay "Massive" overs to any signings and not really sure what their salary cap looks like, almost a certainty for bottom 4 or spoon anyways, but I was referring to Roosters in that particular post.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2