[Resurrected] The Trent Vent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Of course injuries play a massive part in a teams success, for example why are the Sharks / Storm top 2??

Good players, well coached BUT almost zero injuries!!

Good case in point, Manly 2008 & Manly 2011 used how many players in the year ( 20 or 21 I think), this year we will use ( if Bainbridge plays this weekend) 33.

Cronulla I think has used 19!!

But no, it's all the coaches fault!!
33 must be a record - club? NRL?
I'd be interested to know.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
Maybe if Trent had lent some of his super strong-hold hair gel to the players, they could have rubbed on their hands. This would have prevented dropped balls.
Bad coaching with a lack of innovation!

ricardo

Bencher
One easy trial game - Coach's fault
Who thought giving the players 40 minutes each against Ipswich was going to get the boys ready for round one of the NRL? Round one we were shown up badly and were playing catch up for weeks.

Lack of pre season preparation - Guy with beard & Coach's fault
Donny would have had the boys running up mountains with bricks in their hands or something.

Team sheet round 1 - Injuries & Coach's fault
Most of us were scratching our heads at some of the selections and the Dogs strolled through us. So many new faces! It was like the first day at primary school.

Appalling defensive structures - Defensive Coach & Coach's fault
I don't think anyone can argue with this one. Watch Melbourne defend their line then watch Manly defend.

No spark in attack - DCE & Coach' fault
Remember the "Missing DCE" on the back of the Manly Daily? I had a giggle. He was badly out of form when he was on the park early days. Of course he has improved. What hasn't improved enough is our cohesion in attack and fourth/fifth tackle options.

Rookie(No) 5/8 - Injuries, Karma & Coach's fault
Ok we give Walker a go at 5/8 and it didn't work. No worries. He could be the new Milford. Hats off to Trent for recognising this early enough and hooking him. With Moltzen broken, Lyon reluctant and Goodinet not first grade standard we were screwed in this pivotal position.

No kicker half the season - Injuries & Coach's fault
Whoever thought Lyon would play the whole season un injured has rocks their heads. We need an 80% kicker, end of story.

There's more but it's Saturday and the sun is out ... Gotta go!

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I didn't accept it as an excuse last year so why would I accept this year. Cleary didn't accept it when he was coach at Penrith just as all good coaches don't use it as an excuse. Please don't stop though, rationalising our situation makes being a bottom feeder more tolerable, albeit thorougly delusional. :*

Cleary didnt use it as an excuse when his team floundered because of injuries, but the media and other areas did. It was acknowledged that injuries had cruelled their chances, just as it did Manly in 2015-16

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
Of course injuries play a massive part in a teams success, for example why are the Sharks / Storm top 2??

Good players, well coached BUT almost zero injuries!!

Good case in point, Manly 2008 & Manly 2011 used how many players in the year ( 20 or 21 I think), this year we will use ( if Bainbridge plays this weekend) 33.

Cronulla I think has used 19!!

But no, it's all the coaches fault!!
I challenge you to find any post that says it's all the coaches fault. I see plenty saying we need a better coach, but twist it any way you want it.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I challenge you to find any post that says it's all the coaches fault. I see plenty saying we need a better coach, but twist it any way you want it.

There's one right above that suggests this, loads on here ( not necessarily you by the way) use the " sack the coach " as their only excuse.

Look, know that I'm not a great Trent fan either, he ( or those above him) have made some horrid decisions this year, continuing with Walker at 5/8 when it was clear to the rest of the world he wasn't one is certainly a standout.

But the difference with me is , as a rookie I'm prepared to give him year 1 as a learning experience, if we get the same **** at the start of year 2 don't worry I'll join the conga line!!

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
There's one right above that suggests this, loads on here ( not necessarily you by the way) use the " sack the coach " as their only excuse.

Look, know that I'm not a great Trent fan either, he ( or those above him) have made some horrid decisions this year, continuing with Walker at 5/8 when it was clear to the rest of the world he wasn't one is certainly a standout.

But the difference with me is , as a rookie I'm prepared to give him year 1 as a learning experience, if we get the same **** at the start of year 2 don't worry I'll join the conga line!!
Fair enough Mark, for me I would rather go with the experience of Cleary & his Manly connection. I truly hope I am proven wrong & he brings us a premiership but I doubt it will happen.

Our problems are more than the coach though. The support staff brought the Gold Coast culture & methods with them. Our recruitment appears shambolic & desperate with no obvious plan. At least in the early Des years they said their plan was to add one quality recruit to deficient positions each year & that's what they did & it worked. As it stands right now I can't fathom what the strategy is for any aspect of the clubs activities.

MadMarcus

Toovey for NRL CEO
It doesn't suit the anti Twenty brigade to acknowledge that , they push it aside and say " if we had better game plans we would have won more games".

Most of them have tunnel vision, and can't see anything other than a " blame the coach " argument.

I blame the administration for giving us a **** coach.

The Royal Soup

First Grader
One easy trial game - Coach's fault
Who thought giving the players 40 minutes each against Ipswich was going to get the boys ready for round one of the NRL? Round one we were shown up badly and were playing catch up for weeks.

Lack of pre season preparation - Guy with beard & Coach's fault
Donny would have had the boys running up mountains with bricks in their hands or something.

Team sheet round 1 - Injuries & Coach's fault
Most of us were scratching our heads at some of the selections and the Dogs strolled through us. So many new faces! It was like the first day at primary school.

Appalling defensive structures - Defensive Coach & Coach's fault
I don't think anyone can argue with this one. Watch Melbourne defend their line then watch Manly defend.

No spark in attack - DCE & Coach' fault
Remember the "Missing DCE" on the back of the Manly Daily? I had a giggle. He was badly out of form when he was on the park early days. Of course he has improved. What hasn't improved enough is our cohesion in attack and fourth/fifth tackle options.

Rookie(No) 5/8 - Injuries, Karma & Coach's fault
Ok we give Walker a go at 5/8 and it didn't work. No worries. He could be the new Milford. Hats off to Trent for recognising this early enough and hooking him. With Moltzen broken, Lyon reluctant and Goodinet not first grade standard we were screwed in this pivotal position.

No kicker half the season - Injuries & Coach's fault
Whoever thought Lyon would play the whole season un injured has rocks their heads. We need an 80% kicker, end of story.

There's more but it's Saturday and the sun is out ... Gotta go!

Great post! Agree 100%

Manly@capital

Reserve Grader
Just wondering what your views are of Tapau's performances this year - particularly the second half of the year?

Personally I have seen a massive step up from him and Lussick which seemed to shift the whole dynamic of our forward pack. He hasn't shirked his responsibilities, has made more metres than anyone did for us last year and has put up some big numbers. I have seen numerous runs he has made right when we needed it and carried many defenders with him. Since round 7, Marty has made an average of 144m per game at 14 runs per game (10m per run ave). He has also made an average of 26 tackles per game. In the same period Darcy has made an average of 132m at 14 runs (9.3m per run ave) with 22 tackles per game across the season.

Remember, Tapau was a 30/40 minute player last year - jumping to 80 minutes is a massive ask in one year, especially for someone built like him. I think he has come along really well and has been a big plus for us.

Also, you mentioned that Barrett demanded Walker (along with Tapau) - are you speaking from a position of inside knowledge or making assumptions based on what has been reported /commented on?

Not having a go - just interested.
Fair call on Taupau's second half of the year. I am still jot a fan though, I think he has an attitude problem.

I do know Barrett's want of those players to be fact.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm not sure where to put this list (compiled by the SMH) - I know some of you think that injuries mean nothing, others do...so I thought this was at best.....informative. Continue drawing your own conclusions.

WOUNDED EAGLES (games missed)

Steve Matai - 16

Brenton Lawrence - 13

Brett Stewart - 13

Jamie Buhrer - 10

Matt Parcell - 10

Apisai Koroisau - 7

Jamie Lyon - 7

Dylan Walker - 6

Daly Cherry-Evans - 5

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
I'm not sure where to put this list (compiled by the SMH) - I know some of you think that injuries mean nothing, others do...so I thought this was at best.....informative. Continue drawing your own conclusions.

WOUNDED EAGLES (games missed)

Steve Matai - 16

Brenton Lawrence - 13

Brett Stewart - 13

Jamie Buhrer - 10

Matt Parcell - 10

Apisai Koroisau - 7

Jamie Lyon - 7

Dylan Walker - 6

Daly Cherry-Evans - 5
It is funny

In past years if we have one of matai , snake, killer or DCE out most of us would write off games let alone large chunks of the season

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
To me, the Barrett problem is he wants to be friends with the players. His press conferences are all about not faulting the players - they put in. Look at the successful coaches - Bellamy, Green, Hasler, Bozo, Gould, Gibson. Respect the players? Yes. Friend? No.
People really can't change their personalities, so I believe Barrett will NEVER be a successful coach.

Last edited:

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
To me, the Barrett problem is he wants to be friends with the players. His press conferences are all about not faulting the players - they put in. Look at the successful coaches - Bellamy, Green, Barrett, Hasler, Bozo, Gould, Gibson. Respect the players? Yes. Friend? No.
People really can't change their personalities, so I believe Barrett will NEVER be a successful coach.

younger newer coaches tend to take that line. look at Newcastle's Nathan Brown. he took over St George and wanted to be mates but it failed miserably. I suspect he's beginning to understand the separation in his present job. Hopefully Barrett has learned this mistake for next year. He needs to take command.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was super worried when we signed him (not to mention disgusted at the treatment of Tooves), ... nothings changed

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16
13 6 6 26 15